Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2010 :  2:02:23 PM  Show Profile
Marcia Simonds (Child in Harmony, #1183) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge.

"We have a chicken flock of 9 hens, our *ladies* as we call them. Buff Orpington, Rhode Island Reds and Barred Rocks.

Our hens are free-ranging and pastured hens, allowed to roam our acreage in the daytime in search of greens and bugs. They are also fed an organic diet of chicken food and vegetable scraps.

My 12 year old has her own organic egg business. We are expanding our flock and are anxiously awaiting the arrival of more new baby chicks around the end of May.

I never thought I was a bird person until I started raising chickens. They are wonderful and provide us daily gifts of nutrient rich organic eggs.

They are very friendly and every child who comes here loves to hold them and chase them.
The hens often come right up on our deck and peer into our slider into the kitchem. If I open the door they will walk right in.
They have brought us much joy."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2010 :  2:12:17 PM  Show Profile
Marcia Simonds (Child in Harmony, #1183) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I have eight reusuable bags that we use for shopping. They are solid green and solid blue although I do have my eye on some deliciously COLORFUL bags. :)

I keep the bags in the back of the car so they are always available.

I actually like the reusable bags so much better. More groceries can fit in each bag and they are sturdy. I don't feel like the bag will break. I also like the feel of the fabric vs the plastic.

Our local store also deducts five cents for every bag you bring yourself and you can add your name to a drawing for a store gift certificate of $20."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2010 :  2:21:08 PM  Show Profile
Marcia Simonds (Child in Harmony, #1183) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a intermediate level Shopping Green badge.

"I have changed the way I have cleaned my home. I use vinegar and water for most everything.

Vinegar is a disinfectant and if you add a few drops of essential oil when you are about to use it it smells nice too. I like lavender.

I also use baking soda for items I need to scrub. It works tremendously and no chemical smell.
Tea tree oil is also a good disinfectant cleaner.

I also use seventh generation laundry detergent. I do plan to make my own one of these days.

It's easier and healthier to just have a few simple items to clean with. And they do the job just as well without toxic fumes, etc."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2010 :  2:31:11 PM  Show Profile
Marcia Simonds (Child in Harmony, #1183) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Bustin' Out badge.

"We already eat organic food but I have converted my daughter and her family. She has a husband and two small children.
I have helped her to decide what organic food to concentrate on first within her budget and where to get the best deals. I have also shared different recipes with her.

I am very happy with the outcome. My daughter has become more aware of foods and reads labels carefully now and their whole famly is eating healthier. She even sees a diffrence in her young daughter's allergies."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2010 :  2:38:00 PM  Show Profile
Judy King (patchworkpeace, #932) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Little Squirts badge.

"I oiled all the door hinges, inside and out. My garden tools are in use, so I just oiled a couple of hedge clippers. We don't own any bikes.

My daughter's closet door squeaketh no more!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2010 :  2:48:02 PM  Show Profile
Amy Wilson (pumpkinvine, #119) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level In the Garden badge.

"I built my own trellis out of found materials....leftover wire campaign sign holders and gardeners tape I had laying around.

I made bean teepees out of bamboo and raffia.

They turned out great! I had a lot of beans on my teepees last year, and my campaign sign trellis is really sturdy, ready for my sugar snap peas to start climbing!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2010 :  2:55:37 PM  Show Profile
Amy Wilson (pumpkinvine, #119) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"We have been using reusable bags for shopping for years. We started with canvas bags we purchased from Trader Joe's about 15 years ago. Our newest bags are ones that came with our Sierra Club membership.

Using the bags has become second nature for us!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2010 :  3:01:40 PM  Show Profile
Amy Wilson (pumpkinvine, #119) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Community Action badge.

"I researched the Lompoc Wind Energy project. The Santa Barbara County Board of Supervisors is responsible for approving this project.

The application for this project was filed in February 2006. The county website has an extensive amount of information. I know that there are people who object to this project, primarily one land owner neighboring the area. I was interested to see what the environmental impact report said, mainly that the view shed impact is unavoidable, and that there are expected to be bat/bird deaths due to collisions with the wind turbines."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2010 :  3:14:30 PM  Show Profile
Nicole Christensen (texdane, #1155) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Knitting badge.

"I do know how to knit, and love it, and the knitting badge will mean so much to me. For the beginner badge, I participated in the Sisterhood Knit Swap, and completed a lovely straight scarf in a wool/mohair, as well as a baby hat for the recipients new grandson. (Pictured, hat is on a rubber doll). I also completed a dishrag for myself in a striped pattern. I was asked to teach knitting for my small town's Parks and Recreation, so in February and March, I taught an adult as well as a children's class.

It turned out terrific! My recipient for the knit swap loved her scarf and hat for her grandson, and my ladies class loved the class so much they asked if I could teach a spring "intermediate" class, which we are doing now. The little girls in my children's class took to knitting like ducks in water and completed and wore their hats proudly. Five women and two children attended my classes. I am glad to have given them all the "knitting bug" as it is a wonderful and relaxing hobby."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2010 :  3:31:21 PM  Show Profile
Stacy Keely (Stacy K., #896) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Aprons badge.

"I made a half apron that can also be turned into a full apron. I made it with linen and vintage tape.

Love it! Can't wait to make more....but where will I put them all?"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2010 :  3:40:42 PM  Show Profile
Stacy Keely (Stacy K., #896) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Safe Toys badge.

"I made a sock monkey doll for my son. Hope to make more. Even embroidered his backside with "Love Mom."

The tail didn't get as nice as I would like but the next one I will make it shorter and a tighter stitch. My son loves it. Need to make him more clothes for it."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2010 :  3:50:08 PM  Show Profile
Stacy Keely (Stacy K., #896) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Bee Good to Your Mother Earth badge.

"We put in a 8 X 16 foot stone garden in the fall. We put compost in half to over winter and planted some broccoli and cabbage on the other side and put up a hoop house. This spring we put in lettuce, peas, onions, and radish. So far so good this year.

The compost didn't break down as well as we would have liked so we may go get more rich dirt to fill and start a worm composter to help with compost for fall. The cabbage got the cabbage worms so we treated that organically but the hoop house was not warm enough and everything froze by Christmas and then the hoop house fell down with our high winds. But spring is going much better."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2010 :  4:08:43 PM  Show Profile
Stacy Keely (Stacy K., #896) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Heirlooms Forever! badge.

"We replaced all of purchased plants with growing heirloom seeds ourselves.

Well it started out a bit scary because we planted the seeds and put them under a grow light but everything started to get moldy. Our grow light was not strong enough. We got a warm spell so we put them outside during the day and the mold went away. We now have beautiful seedlings. The only ones that died were cucumbers so we'll try replanting them."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2010 :  4:17:34 PM  Show Profile
Tina Dennis (dreamingofafarm, #1355) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I already owned 10 reusable shopping bags, but had them scattered around the house and not in my car - where they should be if I wanted to use them shopping. I gathered all of the bags up and put them in my trunks so that I had them available when I shopped.

For the first week I had a lot of trouble remembering to get the bags before going into the store. To get past this I promised myself that if I didn't bring the reusable bags in I wouldn't take any plastic bags and would just carry out what I bought. It was not pleasant carrying out things by hand when I would forget, which helped push me to remember the bags. I have consistently used the shopping bags for a week for every shopping trip. Just out of curiosity, I kept count - using the reusable shopping bags this week saved 23 plastic shopping bags!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2010 :  4:26:47 PM  Show Profile
Linda Unger (Katie-Linda, #1252) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Aprons badge.

"I just sewed my first half-apron from a MaryJane kit. It is the dishtowel apron.

It turned out great. I have rudimentary sewing skills and thought I would try an apron kit to improve them. I plan to wear this next Saturday when I have company over for dinner!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2010 :  4:34:19 PM  Show Profile
Amy Wilson (pumpkinvine, #119) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"I collected 50 buttons.

I inherited buttons from my mom, my sister and my grandma, so it was nice to go through them and select 50 that I especially like."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2010 :  4:44:48 PM  Show Profile
Amy Wilson (pumpkinvine, #119) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Aprons badge.

"I made a half apron.

I made a Dia de los Muertos apron. I really like the way it turned out! It has pom pom fringe and ricrac on it and it's just really cute, if I do say so myself!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2010 :  3:58:31 PM  Show Profile
Kyria Baker (Kyria, #991) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Aprons badge.

"I finally got around to making myself a half apron!

This is re-purposed from a pair of my daughter's jeans and a linen tablecloth. There are three pockets - the middle one is box-pleated. It took about four or five hours to complete."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2010 :  4:05:54 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer Mowery (barefootmama, #1260) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Going Green badge.

"I got rid of all of my harmful household cleaners and have started making my own!!!!!! No more harsh chemicals in our house!

It is great! I wish I would have stumbled on this years ago!
My house is now safer and a little greener thanks to MJF and all the wonderful cleaning suggestions. Vinegar, Borax, baking soda and some essential oils (lemon grass is my current pick), my house is cleaner smells awesome and we are all headache free!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2010 :  4:21:21 PM  Show Profile
Laci Wilcox (foxxywilcox, #1381) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Get It Together badge.

"I took MaryJanes advice and got it together. I had tupperware with missing lids, so anything that did not fit together or was missing I tossed out. Then I put the containers in an organized space so everything is easy to find. I also went a little further and organized my pantry as well, and discarded things that expired or things that I wasn't using.

Everything has it's place now and is easy to find, I should have done this a while ago. Now I am more determined to keep it that way."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2010 :  4:29:35 PM  Show Profile
Laci Wilcox (foxxywilcox, #1381) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I have all my bags and have been using them regularly. I love them. I have two big cooler bags that keep groceries cooler longer and other reusable bags for smaller stuff.

I didn't realize they were actually easier to use that regular grocery bags. They hold more and don't take up that much space and I am not taking extra trips to the car to grab all the bags I normally would have, since they hold a lot more than regular bags."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2010 :  4:42:38 PM  Show Profile
Gail Springman (gspringman, #486) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an expert level Going Green badge.

"I got our local chapter to make tote bags for a swap.

It turned out really well with all of us discussing making more to possibly sell at the local farmers market. Some were made from new materials and others from recycled ones."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2010 :  4:52:38 PM  Show Profile
Gail Springman (gspringman, #486) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Spirit badge.

"Invited some new gals to my home to discuss what our chapter is about and what we would like to get out of it.

It turned out well with all the gals joining and a couple signed into the Sisterhood. We do a lot of things together now."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2010 :  10:39:53 AM  Show Profile
Amy Wilson (pumpkinvine, #119) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Connecting Growers and Eaters badge.

"I have had a plot in our community garden for the last year.

Last year I grew peppers, cucumbers, tomatoes and basil. This year I have planted cucumbers, a tomato, sugar snap peas, two varieties of carrots, and Calendulas."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2010 :  10:50:18 AM  Show Profile
Jennifer Crenshaw (shoerswife1, #1280) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Knitting badge.

"I knitted a baby blanket out of teal cashmerino for my cousin in the knit stitch and in the middle. I outlined a "K" for the last name of the baby in purl stitch.

It came out really well, but I learned that when you knit in church, you do tend to drop a few stitches! Defeats the purpose when you have to take it out and redo, but enjoyable to look at the finished product."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page