Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2018 :  09:53:37 AM  Show Profile
Kim Reineke (goodmedicine, #4826) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Her-story Merit Badge!

“I researched Senator Tammy Duckworth, the junior senator from my home state of Illinois. I presented a brief talk on her at the Farmgirl meeting to bring attention to women in power who rock!

She was elected in 2017.
• First Asian American woman elected to Congress in
IL- 2nd in Congress
• 2nd woman elected to Senate in IL
• First disabled woman to be elected to Congress
• First female double amputee in the Senate
• First Senator to give birth while in office
• First member of congress born in Thailand

She enlisted in the Army reserves as a gradate student, and served in Iraq as a helicopter pilot. Her Black Hawk helicopter was shot down by insurgents and she nearly died. Heroic actions by her crew and doctors saved her, but left her a double amputee. Instead of giving up, she aspired to something greater. She joined Veterans Affairs in order to improve the lives of others. She entered politics, losing her first few attempts at office. Again, instead of giving up, she ran again and was elected to Congress. She became the first woman to give birth while in office, and the Senate changed the rules to allow her to bring the baby to work as well as breastfeed, so she would not miss important votes. This is just the briefest of summaries on her life and story. She is a true inspiration to women--and I highly recommend everyone to find out more about Tammy Duckworth.

It turned out wonderfully. It was good to take time to learn about someone representing the state where I live, and meeting her is now on my agenda--I learned she has opened an office near me, and I plan to visit it (have never visited a politician's office before) as a first step to get more active in politics in my area.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2018 :  09:54:29 AM  Show Profile
Joanne Terwilliger (Fox, #7732) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Apples Merit Badge!

“I looked up the history of apples and found it interesting that apples originated in China. They were often fermented, and because of poor sanitation, often drank instead of water.
I found that many varieties of apples are used for both eating, cooking, and for cider making.

There are over 50 varieties of apples grown around Groveland area. Our apple season is almost over, but I was able to get 4 new varieties to me, I think the double red and the stark red were a little past prime because they were kind of mushy, but good; the Paragon Winesap was tart, crisp, and good; the Arkansas black was not quite ripe. I seem to prefer really crisp apples, and also ones that are somewhat tart.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2018 :  09:56:17 AM  Show Profile
Joanne Terwilliger (Fox, #7732) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Green Energy Merit Badge!

“I researched how the local power is generated, and compared the different types of power that are currently being used to generate our power.

I was somewhat surprised that only 6% of our power is from large hydro plants. Currently 30% is from a renewable energy source of solar, wind, geothermal with plans to increase this to 33% by 2020. I was also surprised to find that 23% is from nuclear, and 25% from natural gas. I understand that some of the natural gas is collected from dump sites which is good. The hydroelectric has the additional advantage of creating recreational lakes, but in the past, the Hetch Hetchy dam covered a valley that was similar to Yosemite Valley. What a shame. I worry about the nuclear and I'm glad I don't live anywhere near the plants, because of the potential danger of leaks and the problem of what to do with the rods after they are used. I hope they work on replacing this source of energy.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2018 :  10:09:02 AM  Show Profile
Joanne Terwilliger (Fox, #7732) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“We do not have curbside recycling in our area. We have drop-off recycling for cardboard, mixed paper, aluminum beverage cans, tin cans, glass bottles and jars, and #1 plastics but is about 20 minutes away from our house. At the high school, they recycle anything with CRV(California Redemption value) and use it as a fundraiser for the school. In the past, it was used to fundraise to build a library and a museum in town.

The garbage company used to come to different closer sites once a month, but no longer does this.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2018 :  10:10:54 AM  Show Profile
Joanne Terwilliger (Fox, #7732) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“I set up bags in my pantry for different types of recycling, since it has to be separated in our area.

We take the recycling items to the recycling center or to the school on the way through town so we do not make a special trip. We recycle enough that we usually do not have even 1 can of garbage. We also have a compost container.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2018 :  2:16:32 PM  Show Profile
Ginger Thielman (Gingert, #7567) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Bee Good to Your Mother Earth Merit Badge!

“I grew tomatoes and gourds. I used my own compost to help with the fertilization of the soil and to help prevent weeds. If weeds grew I pulled. Did not have any issues with bugs. If weeds do get out of control using boiling water will kill them. I have always grown my flowers/veggies this way so I was a help in converting others to try my way.
Tomatoes were great but the gourds died due to really hot weather and started the plant too early.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2018 :  2:17:52 PM  Show Profile
Ginger Thielman (Gingert, #7567) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Gaining Ground Merit Badge!

“Made an in house compost using worms. Was really interesting to learn how to do this in house. I have always composted outside.
It was fun.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2018 :  2:19:25 PM  Show Profile
Ginger Thielman (Gingert, #7567) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Backyard Farmer Merit Badge!

“Visited a friend who is raising chickens. We caught them, scary but a lot easier and fun, then cut their nails, even painted them. Collected eggs.

The chickens are fed veggie scraps, roam free range, and meal worms.

I learned a lot, was fun.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2018 :  2:20:37 PM  Show Profile
Ginger Thielman (Gingert, #7567) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Heirlooms Forever! Merit Badge!

“We planted heirloom veggies from seed. Using the soil pods we planted tomatoes, watermelon, sunflowers, dill, and zucchini.

Seeds grew but did not do well when I transplanted. :(”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2018 :  2:22:52 PM  Show Profile
Ginger Thielman (Gingert, #7567) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level What's Your Beef? Merit Badge!

“Grass-fed: Called "Grass Farmers" pasture fed, no hormones, steroids etc, healthier to eat, less fat and calories, meat has more vitamins,need high quality grass.
Corporate Based: confined animal feeding operations, meat costs less to buy. Problems: stress, abuse, hormones and steroids, and less nutrition.
They are fed corn, genetically modified grain, soy, bi-product feed, stale pastry, and feathers.
Local markets: Good Tree Farm of New Egypt
Manny's Grass-fed Meats of Stockton NJ

I was disgusted!! I knew grass-fed was better but never did I realize how bad it is.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2018 :  2:24:01 PM  Show Profile
Ginger Thielman (Gingert, #7567) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Horse Dreams Merit Badge!

“Visited a gal with 2 horses. She trail rides the quarter horse and the paint she barrel races.

We brushed, cleaned hooves, and tacked him.

Love horses, loved being up close and personal.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2018 :  2:25:43 PM  Show Profile
Ginger Thielman (Gingert, #7567) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level The Secret Life of Bees Merit Badge!

“Honey bees LOVE flowers. They love any flower but a few the really like are allium, lilac, and zinnias.

Bees are endangered due to pesticides and pollution.

Very sad.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2018 :  2:27:14 PM  Show Profile
Ginger Thielman (Gingert, #7567) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Putting Away for Winter Merit Badge!

“We blanched string beans and corn. Then cut up peppers and onions to freeze. We even sealed eggs to freeze.

I learned to blanch!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2018 :  2:29:05 PM  Show Profile
Ginger Thielman (Gingert, #7567) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Rootin' Tootin Merit Badge!

“I went to the grocery store to see and buy a few root veggies. We had carrots, onions, shallots, ginger, potatoes, etc.

We had a medley of those for dinner :) Delicious.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2018 :  1:38:29 PM  Show Profile
Terry Steinmetz (teryouth54, #3600) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Bread Making Merit Badge!

“I looked up the differences between baking powder and baking soda in my "Whole Foods for the Whole Family" cookbook.

I made baking powder biscuits using my grandma's recipe for the 1930's. I can get them to rise just like I remember her doing, delicate, flaky and so delicious with honey. I also made muffins and banana bread. They were delicate, smooth, and yet had the flavors of banana and blueberry. Since I have to use spelt flour, I also have to watch the bake times closely.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2018 :  1:39:19 PM  Show Profile
Terry Steinmetz (teryouth54, #3600) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Bread Making Merit Badge!

“I read up on the different types of yeast and found it fascinating. I have used both block and quick-acting and now wild yeast. I made whole spelt bread in the cast-iron pan and English muffin bread. Then I made the whole spelt bread with baking soda and it tasted pretty good as a soda bread--and easy to make when you need bread for supper and you've only got a couple hours to make it!

The breads all turned out great! Hubby prefers yeast breads over soda breads, but never complains when it comes fresh out of the oven! Gone by the next lunchtime.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2018 :  1:40:20 PM  Show Profile
Terry Steinmetz (teryouth54, #3600) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level Bread Making Merit Badge!

“First I got MaryJane's "Wild Bread" book and read it completely through! I learned so much.Then I made a sourdough starter.
Then after growing the yeast, I made a batch of pancakes, as the yeast hadn't started real well. Let another week of growing happen then I made the Beginner Batter bread as recommended.
Next I advanced to the refrigerator Mother and made 2 loaves of the bread.

Well, since I can only use spelt, as I am allergic to wheat, it took me some practice, trials and errors of making a "mother". I think that my kitchen may have been too cold as well. But once I got it working, the results were very delicious. I hope to get more "mother" started again after we travel to visit our children this fall!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2018 :  1:43:01 PM  Show Profile
Terry Steinmetz (teryouth54, #3600) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Expert Level Going Green Merit Badge!

“I finished up this section by all totally green cleaning products, including making my own apple cider vinegar. I hang out my laundry even in the coldest days--I love the fresh smell! Recently we repainted and tore up the carpets from our office room and replaced them with oak flooring. I helped a friend start using more "green" options, while helping her move into their new home. And all of my less used, but valuable information books I gave to this same friend. I offer other books as needed to anyone who asks.

The vinegar turned out okay. I made it in my hubby's wine making ferment bucket to make it safe and easy to care for. I love hanging out laundry, so easy and smells so good. We love the look of the flooring and office--and so easy to keep clean! And helping a friend is something I like to do. They appreciated all the information and help.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2018 :  1:45:25 PM  Show Profile

Terry Steinmetz (teryouth54, #3600) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Cheesemaking Merit Badge!

“I wanted to try my hand at cottage cheese for 2 reasons: I had an extra 2 qts. of goat milk; I LOVE cottage cheese!
I put the milk into a pan and heated it to 70 degrees. Then added rennet to it. Let it sit overnight. In the morning, I drained off the whey, sliced a fork through the curds, added some salt & refrigerated the cheese. I used rennet tablets mixed with a little water to help with the coagulation of the curds.

It turned out very good. The next batch that I made, I used in my broccoli souffle. My hubby thought it better than store bought.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2018 :  2:23:31 PM  Show Profile
Marlene Laverty (#7503) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Buttoned Up Merit Badge!

“I have been collecting buttons for several months now. I am very proud to say I have eighty-five buttons. All found and rescued. I have been re-crafting torn shirts, rescuing buttons off of discarded clothing and saving buttons leftover from various craft projects.

I love my button collection and while it took some time...I have so many buttons. I think I will embellish the jar they live in. Maybe with more buttons!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2018 :  2:25:08 PM  Show Profile
Marlene Laverty (#7503) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Aprons Merit Badge!

“I made a full apron not too long ago and it has turned into my favorite apron. I made it with purple handkerchiefs that I purchased and black ribbon for the neck strap and ties. I had enough leftover material to put a pocket on the front. The pattern that I used was based on the Hanky Panky pattern in an older issue of Mary Jane's Farm magazine. I was able to wear it to work during a potluck dinner we had.

I am very happy with the apron. I was able to measure all the ties so that they are not too long and the neck strap is just right. I may run a stitch up the center of the pocket to keep it from flopping open.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2018 :  2:44:29 PM  Show Profile
Candace Kage (Candy Kage #7495) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Know Your Roots Merit Badge!

“My grandson interviewed me for a school project. I helped him make up a family tree with photos of his family and 3 generations back. He tracked on a map the different places we lived. He recorded stories of what it was like growing up.

My grandson submitted all of his material I helped him put together and he received an A for his project. Now we spend once a month adding family members to his family tree and writing down stories from their lives. Makes for wonderful Sunday afternoons.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2018 :  09:30:18 AM  Show Profile

Kimberly Nelson (kmnelson77 #3492) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level “Out There” Women Merit Badge!

“Step one for this beginner level was to make your own survival pack. As a Girl Scout troop leader, who does a lot of camping and hiking, I already most of this on hand. But, I pulled it all together into my day pack--my matches in an old 35 mm film canister, an unbreakable mirror, a whistle, trail mix/granola bars/slim jims, poncho, space blanket, small first aid kit, reflective nylon cord and a pocket knife.

I also researched 10 native plants to Maryland. The Black Eyed Susan's roots can be used to treat worms, cold, sores, snakebites, swelling and earaches. You can use the dried leaves of Phlox to treat skin conditions such as eczema or boils and can use the entire plant to help with stomach/intestinal troubles. Pokeweed is safe to eat while the plant is still immature, with no red in the stems; however, this plant is toxic if the mature plant is eaten, it is not cooked correctly, or if the roots/berries/flowers are eaten. The Christmas Fern's roots are used in treatment of chills, fever, pneumonia, rheumatism, and stomach complaints. The Sweet Fern's leaves can be used as an astringent, and tea made from the leaves can be used to help with diarrhea, headache, fevers and rheumatism. The sap of Butterfly Milkweed can cause an allergic reaction, but the plant itself can be eaten while it's still young (sprouts resemble asparagus). The Cardinal Flower's leaves and roots can be used to help with croup, nosebleeds, colds, fever, headache, and stomachaches; but, the plant itself can be toxic and its sap can cause skin irritation. Witch Hazel can be used to ease inflammation, soothe sensitive skin, treat acne, and help with sore throat. Evening Primrose can alleviate eczema, acne, and PMS symptoms. St. John's Wort can be used as a dietary supplement to help with depression, menopausal symptoms, ADHD and OCD, while topically it can be used to assist in wound healing.

Although I had everything for my pack, I learned a lot when I researched native plants to my area and how they can be used for food and medicinal purposes. It was also interesting to find out which plants were poisonous. I was most excited that some things I grow in my garden had many hidden talents I did not know about before.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2018 :  09:41:42 AM  Show Profile
Emily Yost (emilyrosebud #5070) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Scrapbooking Merit Badge!

“We threw a Farmgirl-style bridal shower and bachelorette party for our Farmgirl Sister, Jen Daniels #4930. I documented the party with pictures and then used them to make her a scrapbook to commemorate the event. I used stickers, decorative tape and shiny paper. I made about 20 pages, using +/- 50 pictures. I gifted her with the scrapbook at our monthly Farmgirl Chapter meeting.

I love the way the book turned out and I'm motivated to continue creating scrapbooks for events like this, and it's especially fun to give them as a gift.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2018 :  09:55:32 AM  Show Profile
Teresa Roberson (Carolinacateyes #7386) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Jewelry Making Merit Badge!

“While cleaning the bookcase in my bedroom, imagine my surprise when I found a container similar to a fish tackle box filled with jewelry supplies I had bought several years ago! So, I looked through my jewelry and found several necklaces from the ‘70’s that need to be restrung. I found several pieces of my mother’s jewelry that need fixing, including a clasp on a pearl necklace. I found clip-on earrings that need new backings for my pierced ears and a favorite bracelet too destroyed to repair, but I can use pieces of it to make into something new. My mother left so many pieces of jewelry that can be transformed into something new and imaginative. I sorted the different kinds of beads, charms, lobster claws and toggle clasps into used medicine bottles with new labels. There is wire, fish line, and black cord for restringing. I placed my wire cutters and needle-nose pliers in the container as well. I searched for several jewelry making books I had in my study and placed those underneath the container. My lighted magnifying loops hang on my bedpost.

The next step will be repairing the jewelry items I have in my container. The pearl necklace will be the first. Of course, I will have to read the how-to sections in my books and maybe look on you-tube. I will make a list of other items I need to put in my container before my next trip to the craft store. I am ready to begin my projects on the next cold, rainy weekend!”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page