Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2018 :  12:29:10 PM  Show Profile
Joanne Terwilliger (fox #7732) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level What's Your Beef? Merit Badge!

“Grass fed beef is lower in total fat and saturated fats. It is higher in beta carotene, vitamin E, B-vitamins, thiamin, riboflavin, minerals calcium, magnesium, and potassium, total omega-3s, CLA, and a healthier ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 fatty acids.

On eatwild.com I was surprised to learn that beef has unnecessary use of hormones, antibiotics, and other drugs.

I've been hearing how much grass fed beef is better for us, but I was surprised to learn how much better. Grass fed is better for the environment and better for us. To me, it also tastes better.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2018 :  12:49:38 PM  Show Profile
Joanne Terwilliger (fox #7732) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Dyeing for Color Merit Badge!

“Historically plants and insects were used as dye medium. A lot of the mordants used were very toxic. Alum and iron can be used safely to dye. Copper, tin, and chrome are toxic and must be used with care. The synthetic dyes can give very vibrant colors, but extra care needs to be taken, especially when using powders as to not inhale them. Safety rules are never use the same pots and utensils for dyeing that you use for cooking, wear rubber gloves and use a face mask when measuring mordants and dyes, work in a well ventilated area, dispose of used mordants and dye baths safely.

I used leaves from different plants as the dye, and placed them on a silk scarf that was soaked in vinegar. I then ran the leaves in an iron bath that was made from soaking nails for several days. I folded it in half and put different leaves inside. One side has the front of the leaf, the other side the back. I especially liked the underside of the liquid amber leaves and the pine needles.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2018 :  09:00:27 AM  Show Profile
Ginger Thielman (Ginger #7567) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Herbs Merit Badge!

“My sisters and I talked about the different herbs we each grow, how we use them, then eventually shared with each other. I grow basil and oregano. I have so much oregano, I share. I use in my daily cooking. Other herbs are rosemary (careful this is strong), parsley, and cumin for spicing it up. My own herb collection has expanded.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2018 :  09:02:06 AM  Show Profile
Ginger Thielman (Ginger #7567) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level The Good, Bad, and Ugly ... Bugs Merit Badge!

“Wow the amount of bugs discussed. More out there than expected. When seeing pictures of them up close, they are ugly! Beneficial bugs are honey bees--LOVE them, not only to watch but knowing I'm helping to protect them from extinction and producing honey. Lady bugs eat BAD bugs like aphids, and mealy bugs, Damsel bug helps to eat the BAD bugs like aphids. The ground beetle can be unsettling at first to see, but they eat BAD bugs like snails, slugs and ones that live in your soil.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2018 :  09:03:39 AM  Show Profile
Ginger Thielman (Ginger #7567) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Weather Merit Badge!

“Weather is very complicated. So many variables go into determining what the weather will be like. This can be a confusing thing to understand/explain (maybe that's why they get it wrong so much). Air masses--there are multiple but one will bring in dry, warm air. Another brings in cool moist air. The atmosphere has 5 levels. We live in the troposphere, which is up to 7 miles, that eventually extends to space which is the exosphere, that is 6,200 miles from Earth. If the pressure is high it's usually sunny where if it's low then it is stormy. The barometric pressure is the pressure within that planets atmosphere. It can cause havoc on the body from severe headaches to sinus issues.

It's so much easier to understand about tropical systems and hurricanes since learning about weather.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2018 :  09:04:26 AM  Show Profile
Ginger Thielman (Ginger #7567) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Birds Merit Badge!

“I watched a power point on New Jersey birds. Saw what they looked like, what they sounded like, nesting, and food. I love watching the birds. I have multiple houses and feeders. Cardinals are beautiful against the winter landscape. Love to see where finch are going to make their nest, and sometimes I get to watch the eggs hatch. Golden finch are our state bird but you really have to keep a sharp eye out to see them.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2018 :  09:05:45 AM  Show Profile
Ginger Thielman (Ginger #7567) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Grow Where You're Planted Merit Badge!

“We pressed allium, vinca vine, dragon snaps, and impatiens. After pressing we laminated into bookmarks. All pressed great. The bookmarks look very pretty.

I discovered that the American chaffseed is endangered. Couldn't actually find it because it's very rare, however I did see pictures. Discovered that 17% of NJ plants are endangered. One being bee balm. I'm happy to say I have bee balm growing in my very own garden.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2018 :  09:07:59 AM  Show Profile
Ginger Thielman (Ginger #7567) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level 3 R's Rule (Reuse, Recycle, Revive!) Merit Badge!

“To make row markers, we used recycled lids from cans, marked our veggie name on it then made a stand for each by inserting into the tines of forks.

Tools should always be cleaned after each use. This prevents disease from spreading and keeps them in best condition for longer use. To clean, you can use multiple things from just soap and water, wipe down so it doesn't rust. I have used brake cleaner and WD-40 to clean and to keep them moving freely. To sharpen your tools, it's best to use a file.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2018 :  09:48:34 AM  Show Profile
Joanne Terwilliger (fox #7732) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Bibliophile Badging Merit Badge!

“Our small library in Groveland has books, books on cd, DVDs, ebooks, computers, children’s story time, book club, art, will easily get books from other libraries around Tuolumne County, book sale every Saturday, will get books from other libraries from around the country, and a main meeting room where clubs can meet.

I've ordered books that are not available in our system that have come from libraries hundreds of miles away. I love reading and am glad to find out that I can get books that I didn't think I would have access.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2018 :  09:59:47 AM  Show Profile
Emily Yost (emilyrosebud #5070) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Homespun Christmas Merit Badge!

“Our chapter gathered together to earn the Homespun Christmas beginner level badge.

I made my usual shopping list for the Holidays. Then, I chose 25% of the people on my list who I would give handmade gifts to.

At our Chapter meeting, we all brought craft supplies and instructions to make a gift. We pooled our supplies and our talents and made sugar scrubs, bath bombs, Popsicle stick photo frame ornaments and scrabble tile ornaments for friends and family.

As for my Christmas tree, almost all of the ornaments we use are hand-me-downs from my mom and grandmas. Most of them are handmade, and I still hang up the ornaments I made when I was a little kid. Some of them are over 25 years old.

I don't think there's a better gift than one someone handmade for you. I'm very pleased with the gifts I made this year. I made ornaments for my coworkers, sugar scrubs and bath bombs for the kids' teachers and ornaments for out of town friends. Every year I want to hand make more and more of the gifts I give, until eventually I am giving only handmade gifts or gifts bought locally, from small businesses. It feels great to be less of a consumer and more responsible when it comes to gift-giving.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2018 :  10:13:29 AM  Show Profile
Allyson Wolf (flutterbydesigns #7693) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Homespun Christmas Merit Badge!

“I bottled and adorned containers of healing gemstones for family and friends to give as Christmas gifts. They are beautiful and I think they will love them!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2018 :  10:14:32 AM  Show Profile
Allyson Wolf (flutterbydesigns #7693) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Cross-Stitch Merit Badge!

“I learned how to cross-stitch. For this project, I cut a t-shirt apart, stitched the shirt image onto a re-purposed tote bag. Then I made and added the flower.

My farmgirl sisters love this tote and complement me on it every time they see me!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2018 :  10:15:44 AM  Show Profile
Allyson Wolf (flutterbydesigns #7693) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Mosaics Merit Badge!

“I wanted to add a splash of color to my industrial metal shop, so I used antique gemstone and swarovski flat backs to create a beautiful mosaic around the door frame of the shop. I think it adds a beautiful touch of femininity to the space.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2018 :  10:51:02 AM  Show Profile
Loretta Brown (Loretta #4579) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Aprons Merit Badge!

“We got together and set up our sewing machines. I didn't use a pattern because I'm a larger woman and wanted it wide and long enough.

My half apron turned out well, but I think I'll follow a pattern next time.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2018 :  10:51:50 AM  Show Profile

Loretta Brown (Loretta #4579) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Origami Merit Badge!

“OMG. Well it was good laughs. We decided that we were smarter than the average farmgirl and decided to make a boat and then an iris...Thank goodness for you tube...2 hours later...

After we re-folded it actually looked like a flower.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2018 :  10:53:22 AM  Show Profile
Loretta Brown (Loretta #4579) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Rootin' Tootin' Merit Badge!

“At the store, I noticed how many different types of carrots, potatoes, and onions there were and purchased out of my comfort zone. I've learned and have cooked these root veggies from my area, New Jersey, the Garden state. I've started adding turnips to my mashed potatoes, I also purchased a 50 pound bag of potatoes from a farm across from my work place.

I definitely noticed the difference in flavor. Carrots, radish, onions and leeks are also very common in our area. It has broadened my taste buds and makes for a pretty plate.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2018 :  10:59:30 AM  Show Profile
Loretta Brown (Loretta #4579) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Grow Where You're Planted Merit Badge!

“We purchased small flower presses and pressed snap dragons, ivy, vinca, impatiens, and alium. The flowers that we used were from my garden and my fellow farmgirl sisters' gardens. Some of them in containers, and some are growing wild on our properties.

It was wonderful to be able to share and use the flowers that we have been caring for after all these years. We even shared some of our plants with each other.

The pressed flower turned out very nice. we laminated them into book markers.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2018 :  11:00:34 AM  Show Profile
Loretta Brown (Loretta #4579) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level HerbsMerit Badge!

“Between my herb garden and my fellow sisters we shared and discussed how we use and preserve our herbs. We now share our crops on a regular basis. It's nice to get such an assortment. We used chives and lavender. We froze the chives in baggies and used the lavender for our pressed flowers.

It's very nice to go to my freezer and use herbs from my garden in the winter.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2018 :  09:56:38 AM  Show Profile
Lori Beck (lori beck #7774) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Her-story Merit Badge!

“I chose Melania Trump for this badge because I think she is an inspiration to so many people. She certainly is to me. She was born April 26, 1970 in Nova Mesto, grew up in Sevnica, in the Yugoslav of Slovenia. She was a former model and moved to New York City in 1996. She married Donald Trump in 2005. In 2006 she became a U.S. citizen. Not a lazy woman, she began her own business by coming out with her own line of jewelry as well as skin care products. She gave up both of her businesses when Donald Trump became president. The main reason I choose her is because she is an advocate against bullying. She also wants to help women and children by empowering them. She speaks six languages and is an intelligent, impressive, and strong woman.

Wonderful. I just love Melania Trump and enjoy hearing about the things she is involved in. She is so graceful and elegant as well as strong and powerful.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2018 :  09:57:54 AM  Show Profile
Lori Beck (lori beck #7774) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Weather Merit Badge!

“I researched weather on the computer. I also went to the library and researched some books about weather. It isn't my favorite subject to study about but it was interesting.

A barometer helps in weather prediction and determining altitude. It measures slight pressure changer brought on by the weather. It is helpful with making an accurate forecast.

On how wind is formed: The sun is the main factor in causing wind. The air rises and falls with the uneven heating from the sun. This results in areas of high or low air pressure. As this pressure changes, it causes the wind to be fast or slow.

I had to have a little help at the library to find the appropriate books to look through. The women there were helpful and I was able to get the information needed. It took a while for me to find the answers I was looking for because I am not too interested in this topic. It went fairly well.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2018 :  10:00:10 AM  Show Profile
Joanne Terwilliger (fox #7732) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Jewelry Making Merit Badge!

“My personal style is simple, using natural materials, nature shapes, or hobbies.

I was able to find a collection of small beads at the local thrift shop. I have a few tools that should work for jewelry. I have picked up few other beads here and there, and have some jewelry that I can remake. I have repurposed a fishing tackle box and some storage containers for the jewelry supplies.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2018 :  10:03:03 AM  Show Profile
Melanie Jones (#7792) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Homespun Christmas Merit Badge!

“This year my children and made salt dough ornaments, my husband and I made homemade wine to give each family. I made my kiddos stockings and stitched in their initials. My tree skirt is handmade last year. It feels so homey and I can't wait for our family to try our wine.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2018 :  10:05:25 AM  Show Profile
Melanie Jones (#7792) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Homespun Christmas Merit Badge!

“ My husband's grandmother is home all the time with no way to get her own Christmas stuff. So my kiddos and I worked on making ornaments and I sewed a small tree skirt for her tree.

It was a heartwarming feeling to see her smiling face.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2018 :  10:07:24 AM  Show Profile
Melanie Jones (#7792) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“We have always, or at least for the last 8 or so years used reusable bags for most shopping trips We love it!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2018 :  10:08:17 AM  Show Profile
Melanie Jones (#7792) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“We have a recycling dumpster at our apartment that takes some cardboard and most plastics, glass, and paper products. It was hard to always have boxes that we could transport the recycling in.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page