Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 525

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2019 :  10:23:08 AM  Show Profile
Aidan Murphy (aidanm, #7664) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Nellie Will-do Merit Badge!

“I spent at least 50 hours on a latch hook project. After the 50 hour mark, I was about half-way done with the large and detailed latch hook.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2019 :  10:24:30 AM  Show Profile
Aidan Murphy (aidanm, #7664) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Expert Level Nellie Will-do Merit Badge!

“I finished over 100 hours on a very detailed latch hook for my mom! It is so beautiful. I was so happy to finish it in time to give to my mom for her birthday.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2019 :  10:26:59 AM  Show Profile
Aidan Murphy (aidanm, #7664) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Reading, 'Riting, and 'Rythmatic Merit Badge!

“I read 3 books:
Fiction - Ramona Blue, finished 7/4
Non-Fiction - In Cold Blood, finished 9/21
Poetry - “The Witch Doesn't Burn in this One”, finished 9/14

I sincerely enjoyed all three books. Ramona Blue was great because it was a perspective I don't read often (LGBTQ+). In Cold Blood is a classic I hadn't ever read before so I'm glad I got the chance to read it. And the poetry book was inspirational.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2019 :  10:28:34 AM  Show Profile
Aidan Murphy (aidanm, #7664) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Bibliophile Badging Merit Badge!

“I'm in the 'For the Love of a Book' group on Goodreads, where I participate in many reading challenges over the course of the year. We read 'Shiver' as a group read. I also met my reading challenge goal of 75 books last year (2018). I've actually been cleaning out my TBR of things I don't want to read anymore and it currently sits at 732 books!

I love doing Goodreads challenges, as it's such a great way to get exposed to new books that I would likely never read otherwise.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2019 :  10:41:02 AM  Show Profile
Diana Grimaldo (DianaLeeG, #7848) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Gratitude Merit Badge!

“Instead of borrowing the book, “The Book of Awesome”, I purchased it so that when I finish reading it, I can lend it to others. I'm enjoying reading it, while taking note of the "simple things" I'm thankful for each day. Some days, it's difficult to limit journal entry to one thing only! I plan to continue taking notes and journaling the simple things in my life, for which I'm grateful.

Working on this badge was both thought provoking and a pleasure!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2019 :  10:57:17 AM  Show Profile
Aidan Murphy (aidanm, #7664) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Grammar Merit Badge!

“I kept a word diary, using a word of the day app for 2 weeks, and tried to use proper grammar online and in person.

My favorite words that I learned were:
lambast - to severely criticize
myopic - lacking foresight
halcyon - calm and peaceful”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2019 :  10:58:14 AM  Show Profile
Aidan Murphy (aidanm, #7664) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Community Action Merit Badge!

“I began researching education in Orange County, and found that our adult literacy rate was even lower than the national average, which is 75%, meaning one in four adults struggle to read. I then began looking into agencies that address this issue.

I reached out to OC Reads, an adult literacy tutoring program to learn more.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2019 :  10:59:22 AM  Show Profile
Aidan Murphy (aidanm, #7664) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Community Action Merit Badge!

“After reaching out to OC Reads, I was required to do two full days of training before meeting with my learner. I completed 14 hours of training, and have been meeting with my learner for a few weeks.

The training was amazing and very helpful. I felt like I knew what I was doing when I met my learner.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2019 :  11:00:28 AM  Show Profile
Aidan Murphy (aidanm, #7664) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Greatest Generation Merit Badge!

“Over the holidays I spent time with my grandfather who is 85. I talked to him about everything and anything. I learned that he knew Neil Armstrong personally, since we are from Ohio. He was recently diagnosed with Alzheimers, so it was nice having the chance to spend so much time just chatting.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2019 :  11:13:01 AM  Show Profile
Loretta Brown (#4579) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Greatest Generation Merit Badge!

“My sisters and I spent the day at a basket studio. We learned about wicker, plaited, twining and coiling techniques. We made bread baskets using wet reeds using the weaving technique.

I turned out great. I joined a weekly class and am loving a whole new world.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2019 :  11:20:49 AM  Show Profile
Aidan Murphy (aidanm, #7664) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Community Service Merit Badge!

“I looked into United Way, just volunteering at the local library, and tutoring children in schools. I decided to volunteer with Read OC.

My volunteer work:
1/12 - Read OC 7 hours
2/21 - Read OC 3 hours

Spent 10 hours working with Read OC to promote adult literacy. I will be continuing my volunteer work throughout the year with Read OC.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2019 :  12:05:58 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Entrepreneurial Spirit Merit Badge!

“My business has launched! I have begun going to others' homes and making freezer meals for them! This has allowed me to help teach how easy it is to make meals from scratch, as well as help families come together at the dinner table.

The business is going great! I have more customers than I'll ever need! It has amazed me how quickly the word has spread in our community!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2019 :  12:06:51 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Farmgirl Grammar Merit Badge!

“In order to earn the expert level of this badge, there are three requirements. The first was to write a letter to the editor of the local paper, discussing the importance of precise communication and syntax. This seemed to be well received.

The second requirement was to read the book Eats, Shoots and Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuationby Lynn Truss. This was such a great book, that I actually used it for part of our grammar lessons in our homeschool!

The third requirement was to continue discovering new words for an additional two weeks! This has actually become a game in our home... I will write out the new word and go over it with the children, then we all try to use the word throughout the day. I think my favorite word, however, was conundrum, as having three year old use that word in her everyday conversations is just phenomenal!

Grammar is one of those subjects that people seem to hate as they go through school. With this said, it is such a vital part of the English language! I have actually enjoyed going over the various grammatical lessons, as well as sharing them with my children!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2019 :  12:08:02 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Calligraphy Merit Badge!

“There are two requirements to acquire the beginner level of this badge. The first was to create a calligraphy journal, testing out some basic calligraphy using a calligraphy marker. I actually ordered a calligraphy kit a number of years ago off of Amazon, and used it.

The second requirement was to read the book Modern Calligraphy: Everything You Need to Know to Get Started in Script Calligraphy, by Molly Suber Thorpe. This book was a wealth of information!

When I was in Elementary school, our art teacher taught us the art of calligraphy and I loved it. But then, after that year, I never touched it again.... until I started working on this badge! I'm super glad I have started this beautiful art of writing again!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2019 :  12:08:45 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Calligraphy Merit Badge!

“Over the last few months, as I have begun practicing the art of calligraphy, I have sent multiple letters to loved ones using the techniques. I have one dear friend who has actually begun to learn calligraphy herself, as she enjoyed the look of the letter I sent her so much!

I'm finding that writing in calligraphy style makes the letters I have written to look much more eloquent. With that said, it definitely takes me a much longer time to write said letters, and they are therefore shorter. But this also encourages them to be written at a higher frequency, so I guess it is a win-win situation.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2019 :  12:09:40 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Bibliophile Badging Merit Badge!

“Since moving to Wyoming a couple years ago, our family had not visited the library. Town is a 45 minute drive away, and multiple errands were always combined for each trip, as we wanted to make the most of our time. Finally, last month, we went and visited the library and got library cards! Our library offers a lot of services, including book clubs, story time for children, study and meeting rooms, inter-library loans, and so much more!

I have a large TBR pile!!! I have shared my picture of said books with friends via text (our internet isn't strong enough to share on social media). Ironically, my TBR pile grows faster than I can read them. I'm thinking I might have to start making lists of what books I want to read this year and which books I want to read in future years!

I'm super excited to finally have a library card here in Wyoming. I probably still won't use the library as often as I'd like, just due to the sheer distance, but at the same time, it is nice to know that I can get books through them rather than purchasing them all the time!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2019 :  12:10:32 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Bibliophile Badging Merit Badge!

“There are three requirements for the intermediate level of this badge. The first was to present a reading challenge. What a lot of fun I had creating a prize bag! It included a tea mug, tea, bookmark, and a little light to help read when it is darker. It also included a gift card to a local bookshop to purchase a new book.

The second requirement was to join a book club. I'm already part of the Farmgirl one on Facebook, but decided to join a local one here with some friends. This has been a great experience!!!

The third requirement is to keep my TBR pile stacked high. This is not an issue at all! There are so many wonderful books out there!!!

One of the best things about working on this badge is making the time to read! More often than not, life is so busy that I do not always make time to read. In recent months, however, I have been, and it has been incredibly enjoyable and rewarding.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2019 :  12:11:34 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Bibliophile Badging Merit Badge!

“For the expert level of this badge, there again were three requirements. The first was to crown the book reading challenge winner at a small party. Oh what fun we had! We held the challenge during the month of February. The winner read 36 books!!! I declare I don't know how she did anything else that month!

The second requirement was to start collecting and organizing my shelves based on my favorite author and/or genre. My favorite author is Janette Oke, with my favorite genre being historical Christian romances. I am now the proud owner of many of her books, including the Love Comes Softly Series and Canadian West series.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2019 :  12:12:34 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Differing Abilities Merit Badge!

“When discussing someone with disabilities, images of someone who is blind, in a wheelchair, or deaf automatically come to mind. However, the world of disabilities is so much more vast than these examples. Autism, RA, MS, MD, Crohns, fibromyalgia, and so many more diagnosis are life altering disabilities!

As a momma of children with special needs, the wife of a mental health counselor, and the daughter of an author who writes books regarding disabilities, this topic is near and dear to my heart! So often people with disabilities are overlooked or treated unfairly, and yet in all reality, most of us have a disability in one fashion or another.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2019 :  12:13:14 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Differing Abilities Merit Badge!

“The intermediate level of earning this badge has four requirements. The first requirement is to identify whether places in our community that say they are accessible are functional for people with disabilities. If not, what further modifications could be made to make thee areas accessible. The greatest area I have seen lacking in accessibility was actually in the library for wheelchairs! There are certain aisles, especially in the children's section, that are too narrow to get through!!! I was flabbergasted!

The second requirement is to identify areas in our own home that may be difficult to use if someone is injured. Due to having a decent number of children in the home, much of our home is very open. This helps prevent toddlers from tripping over or running into things. However, getting into our home requires climbing steps, making it inaccessible to someone in a wheelchair.

The third requirement is examining what I can do to help someone I personally know living with medical conditions that challenge them, to feel more welcome in my home. My mind automatically goes to a friend's son that is nonverbal autistic. We have discussed having them over for a day, however, I would first need to make a safe place for him...Our flooring is not conducive to the head banging that he does every day, and my fear would be greater injury than his normal bruising. Mats need to be purchased so that he has something that "gives."

The final requirement is to reflect on how what I have learned affects how I reflect to people around me who might need assistance. As I ponder this, I think the tendency to think people who do not appear to have a disability don't need help has been replaced with an understanding that not all disabilities are seen by the naked eye, at a glance. Some disabilities are more discreet, but no less important.

Disabilities are so personal! Just because a said medical condition affects an individual one way, does not mean that the exact same medical condition will affect a different person that same exact manner. Rather than only concerning ourselves about oneself and our loved ones, we need to open our eyes and hearts to others, assisting others in every way possible!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2019 :  12:13:55 PM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Differing Abilities Merit Badge!

“Ankylosing Spondylitis. This painful arthritis diagnosis that causes your vertebrae fuse together, was given to a dear friend. Changes were necessary in their home! Grab bars were added to the showers. Railing was added to their stairs. Due to her enjoyment of cooking, she was gifted a basket of kitchen tools including an electric can opener and thicker handled wooden spoons, as well as a kitchen stool to allow her to sit while she preps food.

Disabilities do not have to be a life sentence of doom, but rather the opportunity to be inventive. There are so many items out there that can be used to help each one of us in any area where we struggle. Part of the process, though, is learning to admit we need help and seek wisdom from others.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2019 :  09:21:30 AM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level ChillOver ComeOver Merit Badge!

“There are three requirements for the beginner level of ChillOver ComeOver. The first is to order MaryJane's ChillOver Powder. I ordered this in the beginning of January.

I then began the second and third requirements, which were to explore the recipes found in the Ideabook, and to host a ChillOver taste test. Apple of My Eye, Queen of Hearts, and holiday Surprise were the favorites.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2019 :  09:22:07 AM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level ChillOver ComeOver Merit Badge!

“For the intermediate level, I created a new ChillOver recipe that was a rhubarb jam. It went pretty well....Rhubarb still isn't my favorite fruit.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2019 :  09:23:06 AM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level ChillOver ComeOver Merit Badge!

“For this level, I created two new ChillOver recipes. The first was Elderberry Jiggles. This was a great way to get the kids to take extra elderberries in during the winter! The other recipe was for Apple Goodness which tasted a lot like an apple crumble of sorts.

The elderberry jiggles were a big hit with the kids. We don't usually do jello, so this was a new concept for them.

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2019 :  09:24:48 AM  Show Profile
Shannon Hudson (hudsonsinaf, #5349) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level BakeOver MakeOver Merit Badge!

“For the beginner level, I was to try the BakeOver recipes in the Ideabook and magazines, and have a taste test.

Our family quickly found out that we have to make two very full BakeOver pans to feed all of us.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 525 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page