Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  2:16:48 PM  Show Profile
Kyria Baker (Kyria, #991) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Know Your Food badge.

"I read Barbara Kingsolver's book, "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" and enjoyed it very much, which surprised me because I didn't think I would. In fact, it was so interesting I read large portions out loud to my hubby & kids and they kept asking for more!

We long ago eliminated artificial sweeteners from our diet. Last year, my daughter & I were diagnosed as allergic to a number of foods, including wheat/gluten. I also eliminated high fructose corn syrup.

My family has never been keen on eating vegetables, so I borrowed Jessica Seinfeld's book, "Deceptively Delicious" from the library. I've started incorporating pureed veggies into our recipes without any problems. Not only that, my husband has been inspired to try new & different veggies frequently. He has been surprised at how many different ones he likes!

We haven't the resources to eat locally grown exclusively, but we are doing it more than ever before. Besides our own large garden, we have located local growers of such things as blueberries & Satsuma oranges."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  2:27:23 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Self-sufficiency badge.

"I have an actively grow herb garden that I harvest a variety of herbs from. I have had this herb garden for about 6 years and harvest and dry from it each year.

I do know how to dry, process and package the herbs for use in my kitchen. I package them up and give them away liberally to family and friends

I have made several "sets" of dried herbs and given them as gifts for Christmas, birthdays, housewarming.

We love having FRESH herbs from the garden when it is growing . . just walk out the door with a pair of clippers and snip off what you want at the time.

We also love having the "fresh" dried herbs to use through the winter.

Our gifting of these herbs has also been appreciated by the giftee, stating they really like having the fresh homegrown variety."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  2:38:01 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a intermediate level Self-sufficiency badge.

"My mother canned everything . . she taught me to can everything. I learned out to examine jars for no cracks or nicks. I learned how to process lids and rings so that there was better guarantee of a seal. We had to help with the entire process every harvest season. My mother raised a HUGE garden, and we had fruit orchards.

I have been canning all my married life, purchased the best equipment, including pressure canner, water bath canner, applesause maker, and dozens and dozens of canning jars.

I have canned sauces of every description, all fruits and vegetables, salsas, jellies, jams, and juices. Did also do some canning of venison one season.

We also know how to make pickles, sauerkraut and pickled veggies such as beets and green beans. I have canned them and have just made them fresh to use for the season.

I have successfully canned and processed for years. Will continue to do so!!!!

There is nothing like homecanned produce and products.

(Also freeze some produce such as fruits)

I refuse to eat anything but my homecanned produce!!!!

Photo is of a small section of my homecanned good pantry!!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  2:47:47 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an expert level Self-sufficiency badge.

"We had a garden in "full bloom" in July 1994 when our house burned down. We had NO canning supplies and NO pantry for a little while.
We had garden produce coming on and decided to start with purchasing a dehydrator to try to get some of that taken care of until I could get some canning done.

We dried all sorts of vegetables coming out of our garden. The most prolific crop at the time were tomatoes and we LOVE drying our tomatoes. I haven't canned tomatoes for 16 years because we prefer them dried.

I also starting drying dark, sweet cherries (pitted) and prefer them dried and have not canned them in 16 years either.

We continue to dry certain fruits and vegetables that are in great supply and that we prefer dried.

We have had family and friends gather to participate in the preparation of our produce for canning, freezing and/or drying.

I have been able to share ideas, tips and suggestions with a variety of people, including family and friends on "how-to" as well as things that didn't turn out as well as we had hoped.

We have two dehydrators and they work hard every harvest season . . will continue to do so."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  2:57:46 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a intermediate level BakeOver MakeOver badge.

"And the "hits" just keep on coming!!!

We are enjoying experimenting with a HUGE variety of BakeOver ideas.

And we like everything we are able to come up with.

My husband is also a very good cook so we are sort of in competition with each other. We'll see how it all turns out!!

We DO use our own produce or that from other local growers in our BakeOvers and other cooking.

I have posted two new BAKEOVER RECIPES on the forum:
They are in FARM KITCHEN, the thread is "BakeOver Recipes" and they are:

TWO NEW RECIPES:

"VEGGIE/BLACK BEAN BakeOver"

"APPLE-RAISIN-CRAN CRUNCH"

YUMMY!!!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  3:08:22 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Organic on a Budget badge.

"I have ordered Mary Janes Gluten-Free Budget Mix . . will order more as needed.

As I grew up on a farm the concept of growing your own food is not new to me. Therefore, these are the practices that my husband and I have tried to implement all of our married years and to raise our kids with the same mindset.

Our "grocery store" shopping IS very limited to the perimeter and we are very careful about how we spend our money.

Our finances have ALWAYS been budgeted. . . for everything, including food.

I have an organized budget for all expenses, including groceries and food and it is written down EVERY month. We follow it religiously because we don't have money to waste.

We raise our own produce for the most part and what we don't raise we are generally able to obtain locally. We are not able to obtain citrus because those things don't grow here.

We raise our own beef and are able to obtain other meat and eggs from local growers.

I use the Budget Mix or the "from scratch" recipe from MaryJanes Ideabook on a regular basis."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  3:17:15 PM  Show Profile
Stacy Keely (Stacy K., #896) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Aprons badge.

"I made two full aprons from patterns. Spent about three hours on the one and about six hours on the other.

They both turned out nice but the one with trim was hard because I didn't know how to attach bias tape well. I watched some tutorials and figured it out till I was done."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2010 :  09:56:26 AM  Show Profile
Debra Swan (Debra Swan, #462) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a intermediate level Backyard Farmer badge!

"I've been teaching my grand boys how to milk my goats.

It was a lot of fun teaching/watching my two grandboys try to milk my goats. They had a blast! They got most of it in the bucket, but they did get me(nana)a few times. Did they laugh..."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2010 :  10:09:43 AM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson (FieldsofThyme, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Plant It Forward badge.

"We thinned out our green onion last year and have an extra row to donate. We donated it to the local high school's cooking class.

We could not find a food bank that had a refrigerator for eggs. We found out that the school could use the green onion for their cooking class. I'll be ready to plant an extra row of something else this year too."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2010 :  10:20:38 AM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson (FieldsofThyme, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Self-sufficiency badge.

"I dried organic, home grown oregano, thyme, sage, rosemary, dill, basil, and parsley. We gave dried rosemary to friends, family, and a school bus driver for gifts during the last Christmas.

I really enjoyed drying my own herbs. I have jars labeled in my kitchen pantry, I built a herb drying rack, and will make another one this year. We love the flavors and the fact it is healthier. I love not spending a fortune at the store for my herbs!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  10:33:52 AM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson (FieldsofThyme, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Forage for Food badge.

"I borrowed "MaryJane's Outpost Guidebook" through our local library inter-loan program. I also looked up our local extension office online for more information.

Because winter was approaching, we decided to wait to forage until this spring, but learned quite a bit."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  10:45:28 AM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson (FieldsofThyme, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a intermediate level Forage for Food badge.

"We foraged a portion of our 6 acres, that sits along a creek.

We discovered catnip growing by a barn, and spearmint growing along a ditch bank. We are going to forage for mushrooms and other wild growing plants this summer."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  10:59:06 AM  Show Profile
Heather Neuharth (Heather.Eleanor, #1304) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a intermediate level Shopping Green badge.

"I collected and experimented with recipes for homemade cleaners such as: all-purpose cleaner, drain cleaner, toilet cleaner, oven cleaner, floor cleaner, dusting solution, and two different kinds of laundry soaps (liquid and powder).

This was interesting to me, and I feel I gave all the recipes that I tried a good fighting chance. Some of the recipes I am still using, but I've found some store-bought alternatives to my homemade mixes that I think are more effective.
The duration of Phase One of my Grand Home-Made Cleaner Experiment was about one and half years. That was the test phase, in which I collected, mixed and used the recipes in question. I felt like a pioneer woman, or sometimes a mad scientist in a ruffled apron! It was great! We saved a lot of household expense money because of this -- and this became key last spring when my husband lost his job and I gave birth a week later. During those months of his unemployment I felt so resourceful knowing how to whip up another batch of laundry soap and make do with my stock of borax, washing soda, etc. Since that time he has been blessed with an even better job, yet my frugal farmgirl ways have only changed a smidgeon.
Now we dwell in Phase Two on my Grand Homemade Cleaners Saga, in which my favorite cleaner is Concentrated Laundry Powder. I have a blast grating Fels-Naptha bar soap on our box cheese grater to prepare the recipe, and I continue to get a kick out of not ever needing to spend money on Tide. Hoorah!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  11:09:51 AM  Show Profile
Heather Neuharth (Heather.Eleanor, #1304) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Gratitude badge.

"I kept a gratitude journal for a month.

It was a great exercise in keeping my eyes open for the blessings that God heaps on me every day. There is a Psalm that says "Blessed be the Lord, who daily loads us with benefits" and that comes to mind."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  11:20:17 AM  Show Profile
Heather Neuharth (Heather.Eleanor, #1304) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Safe Toys badge.

"I made five differently shaped beanbags designed to guide children through different chores around the house.

They turned out great! I look forward to seeing these beanbags get some use....I suspect that first they'll just be for learning shapes, but as our children get older the beanbags will be for chore reminders.
Shapes: Teardrop - water the plants
Circle: Be the Laundry Inspector (fold)
Triangle: Take out/sort the recycling
Rectangle: Set the table properly
Square: Take a trip up or down the stairs carrying something Mommy needs to be toted."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  11:28:23 AM  Show Profile
Heather Neuharth (Heather.Eleanor, #1304) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Safe Toys badge.

"I made a cloth doll and gave it to my 11 month old daughter.

The doll was a sweet little project to make, and it is dear to see it along side my sweet girl."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  11:37:44 AM  Show Profile
Debi Barnes (barnyard, #1405) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"I have been collecting for years, didn't know it was for a special reason except I wanted a jar full like my granny!

Beautiful, so many colors, shapes. Two jars full to the top, ha-ha!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  11:48:31 AM  Show Profile
Lisa Alverson (lisajanie, #1198) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Quilting badge.

"I have just started a quilting class for the 2nd time in historic Richmond town in Staten Island. The women are very talented, and we all learn from each other. It is a wonderful place to go; truly enjoyable.

I have made a wall hanging and a table runner. Now I am making a bed quilt for my grand-daughter, and also have in the works a baby boy quilt."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  11:59:04 AM  Show Profile
Lisa Alverson (lisajanie, #1198) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Knitting badge.

"I knit all the time. I have a small knitting group that meets two times a month at my home, and I teach them how to knit. The youngest is 9yrs old. We just chat and knit, and learn from each other. I am making a lace christening blanket for my friends daughter due in September.

It is still going on, and hopefully will for a long time, until my grand-daughter can knit."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  12:10:37 PM  Show Profile
Debi Barnes (barnyard, #1405) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Horse Dreams badge.

"We own four horses, three Quarter horses, and one he is our old man of 18-years-old (Beaux) is a Missouri Foxtrot. Our youngest just turned
2-years-old. Diamond is his name, his color is palomino paint.

I love horses and have been riding since I was 5-years-old back in Louisiana."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  12:31:13 PM  Show Profile
Karla Visser (Karla, #1426) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Quilting badge.

"I have been quilting for 24 years. I have made baby quilts for each of my children and as gifts. My latest baby quilt was for my grandson, blue and green with frogs! I have several larger projects as UFOs at the present time but then I don't quilt on big ones during the summer, tooooo hot!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 03 2010 :  3:11:20 PM  Show Profile
Cheryl Severeide (K-Falls Farmgirl, #309) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Knitting badge.

"I taught myself to knit. I made myself dishcloths and also a few for my daughter then made myself a pretty scarf.

I love wearing my scarf, it's so pretty and I get compliments on it. I gave the dishcloths to my daughter and they work great."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 03 2010 :  3:22:42 PM  Show Profile
Cheryl Severeide (K-Falls Farmgirl, #309) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Quilting badge.

"I took a quilt class and made a small quilt. It was quite fun learning nine different patterns.

Love the colors I chose and it will hang in my guest room."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 03 2010 :  3:37:51 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Buttoned Up badge.

"I make a lot of jewelry and I use buttons in much of it, however I have either sold it or given it away.

Here are the latest button jewelry projects I've completed.

BRACELET: white flower buttons with tiny colored button centers.

NECKLACE: Simple use of polka dotted ribbon and sunflower buttons to make a choker style necklace which is adjustable to whatever length desired.

These are projects that I enjoyed doing and I love making the button necklaces as it is adjustable to an outfit or my mood at the moment.

I was wearing the necklace however could not make a picture of me wearing it happen. It is a fresh, spring, casual looking necklace . . fun!!

I have LOTS and LOTS of buttons of every description and will be making more button jewelry.

IT'S FUN!!!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 03 2010 :  3:54:40 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an expert level Buttoned Up badge.

"Now, buttons are one of my "things". I have hundreds and hundreds of them. I use them on my papercraft cards and journals. I use them on ALL sorts of craft projects.

I'm always on the lookout for buttons and am totally delighted when I find old or unique ones.

I was interested in buttons on womens fashions in the Civil War era and did some research there. They were to have at least 7 buttons, but could have more but they had to be an uneven number and they were to sew an extra one under the waistline.

Buttons were made of bone, ivory, wood or pewter.

Further research discussed the outfits women wore and for what occasion and how they had to look.

I enjoyed researching the Civil Era information.

I have a LOT of buttons, many are antique and this picture shows some of those which include china, rubber, wood, metal and elephant tusk ivory.

The intricately carved ones in the case are of African elephant tusk ivory, in a rose design. These were given to my mother-in-law by her brother and the little piece of artwork is his drawing and was included inside the box.

I also did a bit of research on the Japanese trading company whose label is inside the lid of the box.

Button designs fascinate me!!! And I enjoy using them in my projects."

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page