Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2020 :  10:52:34 AM  Show Profile
Terri Reynolds, (Terri Reynolds, #8042) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Reading, 'Riting, and 'Rythmatic Merit Badge!

“The beginner level for this badge is the Readin'. Although I'm not what one would call an avid reader. But, with our librarian's assistance, I was able to find the books I needed to meet the requirements:

3 Fiction
Three Sisters from Holmes County
The English Son
A Simple Prayer

3 Poetry
An Instrument of your Peace
Don't Bump the Glump
What I Lick before Your Face

3 Non-fiction
History and Program
I refuse to Lead a Dying Church
Evolution of the Word

As I read the fiction books, I actually saw myself in a couple of the characters. One of the books spoke of places I have been through and even a church where I have worshiped. They were quite relaxing. Another ended with a recipe that I made for a friend (he liked it).

As I read the poetry, I was reminded that poetry can be fun. I was reminded of Mrs. January, she had insisted on Poetry notebooks from all students.

The non-fiction books were multi-purpose read. I was taking a class and am serving on council.

Wow, I read 9 books in 2 months. I am once again reminded, I can do it (with God's help).”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2020 :  10:59:23 AM  Show Profile
Terri Reynolds, (Terri Reynolds, #8042) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Crochet Merit Badge!

“Grandma taught me to chain and single crochet years ago. She would not teach me to make more stitches. She said I needed to learn to read a pattern. I had dabbled with more stitches along the way but have never become proficient in the craft. I recently determined the best thing may well be to begin again.

With your inspiration, and the Sisterhood July Patriotic swap, I've made a dishcloth. They're not the exact colors I wanted, but they are classic.

I began this dishcloth last evening. I continued working on it today and was able to finish it after about 3 more hours. I'm pleased with the final shape. The sides are finally straight.

I look forward to the idea of a granny square afghan.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2020 :  11:25:43 AM  Show Profile
Stacy Sundgren, (slsundgren, #7112) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Families Forever Merit Badge!

“We have always been a family who enjoys both books and games. The fantasy genre is a big favorite of ours, so my son introduced us to a board game he and some college friends had been playing called the Lords of Waterdeep. Characters and gameplay are based on elements from Dungeons and Dragons.

The Lords of Waterdeep quickly proved to be a fun, challenging and intriguing game to play. It takes a while, generally 2–3 hours, to go from start to finish. Instead of game night, we’ve always had a game morning, usually saving Sunday mornings to sit down with various favorite games while enjoying a big breakfast. The Lords of Waterdeep now joins that collection and I can say for certain we will play it many more times in the future.

For our book, we chose an old and dear favorite, The Sword of Shannara, by Terry Brooks. I first read The Sword of Shannara as a high school freshman when it was published in 1977. I absolutely fell in love with the story and characters. I continued to read Terry Brooks’s Shannara novels and eventually introduced them to my son. After more than 40 years and over 30 novels and related short stories, Mr. Brooks is concluding his epic fantasy saga with a final Shannara adventure to be published this fall. We thought it fitting for this reading project to go back to the beginning and re-read The Sword of Shannara. We had such a good time with that! It was like meeting up with old friends not seen in a long time. We all took turns reading and completed a chapter at a time.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2020 :  11:30:58 AM  Show Profile
Stacy Sundgren, (slsundgren, #7112) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Reading, 'Riting, and 'Rythmatic Merit Badge!

“I read three books as per the badge requirements.
Fiction - Before We Were Yours by Lisa Wingate
Non-Fiction - Fire by Sebastian Junger
Poetry - A Texan Crying in the Wilderness by Ophelia

Browsing the bookstore is one of my favorite things to do and that's how I found Before We Were Yours. The book is a work of fiction, but the author drew from the real-life crimes of Georgia Tann to create the story. Tann operated a child abduction/selling scheme using an unlicensed children's adoption agency to hide her crimes from the 1920's to 1950.

I learned about Sebastian Junger after seeing a war film called Restrepo in 2010. I didn't realize until then that he was the author of The Perfect Storm, which had been adapted as a screenplay for the movie of the same name. In Fire, Junger recounts his early years as a journalist and the many events he covered including wildfires in the United States and various overseas conflicts.

A Texan Crying in the Wilderness is a collection of poems by Ophelia. The copy I have belonged to my late brother. The little book has been on my shelf since his passing in 1992. I have opened it several times. It was inscribed "To Robbie, From Ophelia by Kate". I have never read it cover to cover until now. The poems are simple and yet they speak of thoughts and feelings I think many people have in common. The book is dedicated by Ophelia to her sister, Kate. But who were Ophelia and Kate? I have made it something of a mission to find out.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2020 :  11:33:30 AM  Show Profile
Stacy Sundgren, (slsundgren, #7112) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Civics Challenge Merit Badge!

“I've answered each of the 10 questions in the Beginner section. I decided to type out the questions and answers, just to be more organized and make it easier to read.

I was always a pretty good student when it came to American history and government, way back in the day. Just a few years ago, I was homeschooling my son in those same subjects, so I had a good refresher during those days. Most of these were pretty easy for me to answer.I had forgotten about the term "mixed economy". I tend to think "capitalism" when considering the US economy. Had to double check that one. All in all, it was an enjoyable exercise and I'm looking forward to moving on to the Intermediate section.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2020 :  12:27:24 PM  Show Profile
Heather Martz, (Heather Ann Martz, #8097) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Bibliophile Badging Merit Badge!

“Well, I work in 2 libraries, so I already have a card. I'm usually the one telling everyone else about all the wonderful things they can do at the library! I posted a picture of my latest TBR pile in the chatroom. I also told my family and coworkers about some of my latest selections. I love to share books!

I'm halfway through the first book in my pile (Untamed by Glennon Doyle), and it's so good! I'm going to have to copy all my favorite quotes, or buy my own copy to start highlighting.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2020 :  12:28:13 PM  Show Profile
Heather Martz, (Heather Ann Martz, #8097) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Know Your Roots Merit Badge!

“When I was younger (about 16), I remember visiting my oldest relatives one summer, interviewing them about their lives and collecting pictures. It was very rewarding for me, but I wasn't sure how to approach the task now that I'm the oldest member of my family. A school assignment solved it for me, as one of my college aged children had to interview me for a history class. We looked through pictures and old books and talked about what was going on in the world at those times, how I felt about those things, and how I thought the people around me had handled events.

I think it was informative for both me and my child, as it helped her understand what people were thinking and feeling about events that happened before she was born, instead of just the facts without context. It helped me to challenge my ways of thinking about things and see the perspective of the younger generation. I'm glad we had the opportunity.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2020 :  12:42:52 PM  Show Profile
Cassie Thompson, (Cassie Thompson, #8020) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“I made 3 recycling bins from palletized boxes that I had from something at work for cardboard, plastics,& glass. I used 2 rolling garbage cans outside for aluminum & steel cans. We chucked all of our recyclables in their respective bins for the week and continue to do so. At the end of the month we're gonna take it to the city recycling center.

Right now it's kinda hectic and takes up a chunk of the garage, but over all this is better than having stuff randomly piled up in the kitchen and saves lots of garbage trips.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2020 :  1:15:42 PM  Show Profile
Winnie Nielson, (Red Tractor Girl, #3109) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning the Beginner, Intermediate, and Expert Levels of the Weather Merit Badge!

“I completed Beginner, Intermediate and Expert levels of the Weather Badge. I started the Beginner level on 6/8/20 ands completed it on 6/16/20. This first level was a research on understanding the role of our Atmosphere. Basically, weather is a function of the interactions between water vapor and heat or cold temperatures. The Troposphere is the first layer and almost all clouds exist here as well as 75-80% of the gases Nitrogen, Oxygen, and Argon. It's also where carbon and water vapor exist. As the altitude rises from the Earth surface, there's less heat and more cold. It's the interactions between warm and cold air that forms the instability and interact. Turbulence can form and move air, which is known as wind, around the globe, and cause precipitation to occur.

These hot/cold interactions are simultaneously affected by the atmospheric pressure, which is the force of the weight of the air on a surface. Atmospheric pressure is measured in either millibars or Inches of Mercury. At sea level, 1 square inch of mass has 14.7 pounds or 1013 millibars per square inch. It's the Earth's gravity that pulls air towards the surface which creates the atmospheric pressure. High Pressure and low pressure systems are the warm and cold fronts that move air masses between the cold Arctic and warm Equator around the world. We observe the results of these fronts during our 4 seasons as either the arrival of more cold air or arrival of warm air. Because warm air rises and cold air falls, each front experiences an effect on the water vapor. Cooing water vapor causes clouds and bring rain or snow, depending on the air temperature.

The rising and falling of atmospheric pressure is caused by the heating of the air particles or the cooling of the air particles. The resulting motion of large masses of air particles create the winds that move these weather systems. The systems define our daily weather patterns.

Likewise, in the areas of the Earth, the amount of sunlight, based on the Earth's axis tilt, warms or cools the ocean currents causing them to move. cold water moves towards warm and cvice versa. The Gulf Stream is the major water current along the East Coast where I live.

Further research was done on defining cold fronts, warm fronts, stationary fronts, and occluded fronts. As explained the fronts exist as warm air rises and cold air falls. Rising and falling of air, surface pressures and winds create all of the weather we experience. The tilt of the Earth's axis determines the amount of daily sunlight and warmth, which then creates the seasons.

The Intermediate Level was a study of the clouds. Clouds are basically the formations created by light, water or ice crystals at various altitudes in the the first layer of the Troposphere. There are 5 types of clouds.

1. Cirrus—high
2. Alto, Nimbostratus, Cumulus—middle layer
3. Stratus—lowest level
4. Nimbus—rain or precipitation
5. Cumulonimbus towers—rain storms.

Clouds are classified by 1)height above the Earth and 2) Appearance or texture. The higher clouds, which are above 20,000 feet are mainly ice crystals. Cirrus clouds are an example. Middle clouds are between 6,500 to 20,000 feet and are made of water or ice, depending on the season and temperatures. Altostratus and Altocumulus are examples. Low clouds are below 6,500 feet contain water droplets or snow crystals in Winter. Cumulus clouds can occur in both warm stable weather and serious stormy weather.

The Expert level required a weather log from my home covering information of temperatures, humidity, winds, clouds, and weather changes during the day. I started the log on 6/17/20 and completed it on 7/15/20. At this time of year, the weather in Gainesville, Florida does not vary much. The daytime temps range in the low to mid 90s and evening temps range in the low to mid 70s. The state also experiences onshore winds from both the Atlantic and Gulf of Mexico waters. The presence of warm temps and water vapor clouds react to the winds and temps with daily pop-up thunder storms by noon through the early evening. While the showers can be strong with heavy downpours, lightening, and thunder, they are usually brief. However, you can often get 1-2 inches of rain from the intense downpours in less than one hour. It is also equally possible that a location will not get any showers. It's unpredictable who is going to get wet!

As a result of doing a 30 day log that covers the end of June and early part of July, I was able to record and see in more detail, the patterns of this region. By watching the cloud formations, I could see and anticipate whether showers were going to happen or not. Daily repetition of the same pattern turned out to be a great way for me to understand why it is so hot and humid here in Florida during the summer.

Weather has always interested me and this badge pushed me to dig into the details and better understand why and how the patterns of every day happen. I most enjoyed learning more about the cloud types and then looking at them each day and correlate them to the day's weather.

This badge provides anyone who does it the basic foundations upon which details one experiences. There is a host of great websites like NOAA, National Weather Service, and Weather.com which provide huge amounts of information to learn and understand. Plus you get great maps and videos about interesting events.

I recommend doing all three levels of this badge to any Farmgirl who has a curiosity about what and how the daily weather happens!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2020 :  1:27:41 PM  Show Profile
Valerie Phillips, (Valerie Phillips, #8090) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Gratitude Merit Badge!

“I began a gratitude journal. To be honest, I missed some days, but kept journaling until I had 30 days. It's helped me look for little things to be thankful in each day.

I also read 30 days of The Book of Awesome. May of the readings were amusing or brought a smile to my face.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2020 :  1:35:52 PM  Show Profile
Sara Knight, (Yellow Rose, #6034) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Ink Slinger Merit Badge!

“I re-read two of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle books—Casebook of Sherlock Holmes and The Return of Sherlock Holmes. I first read Doyle’s short stories as a teenager and they inspired me to write; his Sherlock Holmes stories influence my writing today.

I’ve completed the first 20 pages of my new cozy mystery novel “The Season of Long Shadows Murders” a Little Eden Mystery - Pearl Jones Adventure.

Pearl Jones, seventy something, loves the lengthening shadows in the fall but she also dreads that time of the year. Days grow shorter and nights longer; evil raises its head in Little Eden, Texas, the Small-Town Murder Capital of Texas.

Pearl is drawn into two murders when the sheriff calls on her to identify a body in the middle of the Red River. Later that day a missing man is found murdered on Cemetery Road. In search of clues Pearl and Brodie (her lifelong friend) cross the Red River Bridge into Oklahoma to gather information on the Johnson-McSwain feud. The body in the river turns out to be Cam Johnson and the other murdered man is Jolly McSwain. Pearl now has to discover what part, if any, the feud plays in the murders.

After finishing the first 20 pages I edited and made needed corrections. I'm pleased with the storyline and how it flows.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2020 :  1:47:09 PM  Show Profile
Lily D'Angelis, (#8098) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Going Green Merit Badge!

“I replaced all not green cleaners with green cleaners. I wrote myself a pledge to only use green cleaners in the home. I wrote recipes for green cleaning items and other information in my Farmgirl Sisterhood journal. I made a gift basket with my green cleaning items and gave it to my sister.

This week, my son and I cleaned our mattresses by using green cleaners and we love the result of sleeping in refreshed mattresses.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2020 :  1:48:03 PM  Show Profile
Lily D'Angelis, (#8098) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Expert Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“I recycled for over a month using the knowledge I've acquired while completing the beginner and intermediate levels of this badge. I also reviewed the information with my son and he is excited to recycle too. We also recycled cans and bottles.

We feel excited and happy completing recycling duties because we know we are doing what we can to conserve the environment.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2020 :  2:17:44 PM  Show Profile
Kelsi Williams, (Kelsi R Williams, #8098) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Water Conservation Merit Badge!

“We had found a water spigot leaking along an area of pasture that we were fencing and finally got that fixed. I also drained and leveled two water troughs to help prevent overflow leaking. There are no leaking taps in the house. The family is pretty good about conserving water in daily routines such as turning off the water while brushing our teeth. One small thing that I do is to save the pot water from boiling eggs (which I do weekly), let it cool and then use it to water some outdoor plants. One of the best ways that I've found to save water is to apply mulch around plants to prevent unnecessary evaporation. We'd started the process of this in the flower beds and most of the vegetable garden. I estimate that in just one flower bed I can save about 5 gallons of water a day by mulching.

Not only does the mulching save water, it looks really nice and cuts my watering time in half! It seems to be a win-win situation for everyone.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2020 :  2:19:56 PM  Show Profile
Kelsi Williams, (Kelsi R Williams, #8098) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“I've fixed up an area that my grandmother used to use for recycling. I had a small metal sign made to identify the area. One can is for the recycling that will be picked up by waste management in the orange bags and the other is for aluminum cans only. We have two locations in the county that will accept cans for recycling.

*Yogurt lids can be used for paint trays
*Cottage cheese containers are good for re-use for lunch items and for small food or water dishes for the animals
*Bailing string can be used to temporarily mend fences, make macrame plant holders, etc.

The waste management company will take the cans, but is fun for the family to save them up and recycling them for the CRV money every once in awhile. I also take in my aunt's recycling whenever she needs help with that.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2020 :  2:21:19 PM  Show Profile
Kelsi Williams, (Kelsi R Williams, #8098) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Lend a Hand to Families Merit Badge!

“Recently one of our close friends has been hospitalized following a heart attack. I've been preparing food once weekly for them as well as their extended family since I think they are all in need of a little extra care while they are spending so much time worrying about each other. I have also walked their dog to help with some basic chores that they are unable to do at this time.

I do not at all care for the fact that one of close friends is in such poor health right now, but I'm trying to do what I can to help him and his family get through tough times. I want them to know that we are thinking of them always and are here for them for anything they might need. Instead of journaling about this topic I'm choosing flowers from the garden to take to our friends wife each time I visit since I know that she loves flowers. I think she appreciates them.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2020 :  2:23:15 PM  Show Profile
Kelsi Williams, (Kelsi R Williams, #8098) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Backyard Farmer Merit Badge!

“I've been raising chickens for several years. I use a brand of organic layer crumble by Bar-Ale Feeds for them so that our eggs are organic raised. I just raised a group of cornish cross chickens for meat consumption. My husband killed them, but I did all the plucking or skinning, butchering, and packaging. My girls also have raised turkeys for their 4-H project this year.

By the time I was a couple of hours into the harvesting of our meat birds, I could butcher (breast, breast tenders, wings, thighs, legs) in 4 minutes. I felt like a seasoned butcher at that point.

Finding organic turkey food this year was quite a challenge! In all of California I found one mill by the name of Modesto Milling that had an organic turkey food available. The chickens and turkeys have been delicious and nutritious.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2020 :  2:24:27 PM  Show Profile
Kelsi Williams, (Kelsi R Williams, #8098) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Birds Merit Badge!

“California has over 300 birds that are native to the state with many of them migrating through during different seasons. There are some birds that are found in my area all year round including the Brewer's Blackbird, Common Raven, and Dark-Eyed Juncos.

One of the birds that I would LOVE to see on my property is the Great-Horned Owl. I have heard them a couple of times, but never have seen them. I really enjoy seeing the Cedar Waxwings since they are so beautiful and different looking.

I've looked up how to build and install a mesh netting cone structure in trees on the property to encourage Great Horned Owls to nest. I found this information on the Cornell All About Birds website. Not only would I love to have these owls on my property I would love if they would eat all of the rats and gophers!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2020 :  2:25:20 PM  Show Profile
Kelsi Williams, (Kelsi R Williams, #8098) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Herbs Merit Badge!

“I tried to identify a few herbs that I love to use around the house and in the kitchen.
1) thyme-cooking
2) mint-cooking-ice cream
3) oregano-antibacterial
4) cilantro-cooking
5) basil-cooking-fresh in green salad
6) lavender-calming and cooking

I love that many herbs that I enjoy the flavor of have medicinal or other uses. Sometimes I'll add oregano oil to the poultry water if I think someone is not quite right. I've used lavender to make soap, but I have a recipe for lavender bundt cakes that I'll be making soon.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2020 :  11:03:49 AM  Show Profile
Judith Baker, (StitchinWitch, #7932) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level UFOs Merit Badge!

“When our lockdown started I realized I would have lots of time so quilt UFOs were my goal.

I got everything together. I think this was the easy part.I also finished my class projects that were due during the virus when we didn't have class. I had a big under-bed storage box full of quilt tops. Two of the tops needed borders added.

I got finished tops together with backing fabric, binding, and thread. I made backings from what I had in my stash. If there wasn't enough fabric to back a quilt, I pieced several (or many) pieces together. I rounded up backings and thread for 6 finished tops that need quilting. Fortunately I have a big roll of batting.

There is also a drawer with blocks and blocks-in-progress that need to be finished and made into quilt tops.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2020 :  11:06:22 AM  Show Profile
Judith Baker, (StitchinWitch, #7932) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level UFOs Merit Badge!

“UFOs finished so far during covid—6 bed size quilts, 5 mini quilts finished. Previously started blocks in progress for 3 quilts. No new quilts are being started until UFOs are done.

It took a heck of a lot longer than 15 hours; more like several hundred hours.
Did not work with my sewing friend — we are both in quarantine but we text and phone. Below is a picture of Corona 4000—that's how many pieces are in it.

I'm happy with what I have accomplished so far. There is more to do.

Right now I'm taking a break from sewing as I was starting to get burnout. Gives me time to work on merit badges I started.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2020 :  11:08:13 AM  Show Profile
Judith Baker, (StitchinWitch, #7932) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Quilting Merit Badge!

“My quilting adventure started the day before my oldest daughter was born and was put on hold until I retired. I still have that little quilt top I did in 1965 with its polyester, double knits, and bonded lace -- fabrics I would never put in a quilt today.

I have made 45-50 doll quilts. Also used as wall hangers and table toppers. Cats also like them. I have a friend I've been helping by phone to do our guilds mystery quilt. We haven’t been able to get together due to the virus.

I love making the little quilts! They can be made with scraps, don't need a large investment of time; and make great little gifts.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2020 :  11:09:33 AM  Show Profile
Judith Baker, (StitchinWitch, #7932) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Quilting Merit Badge!

“I've always admired Hunters Star quilts so I decided to make one. I tried out an accuquilt for cutting the pieces and it worked really well. I used batiks for the fabrics as I had a lot of them to use up.

The stars went together well. I free motion quilted it and I'm pretty happy with the results. I tried a new to me technique of binding it by folding backing to the front. I noticed that was how my Great Grandmother did her quilts.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2020 :  11:10:36 AM  Show Profile
Judith Baker, (StitchinWitch, #7932) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Her-story Merit Badge!

“Queen Elizabeth II

She was born April 21, 1926 in Mayfair, London, England. She did not attend school, she was tutored — mainly for her future position. Gaps in her general education were discovered later so she was tutored some more. #8232;I read “The Real Elizabeth” by Andrew Marr. A very interesting book, in spite of the politics. She has led a long eventful life. I was fortunate to find this book at our library’s book sale before the virus shut down the library and sale.#8232; I feel sad that she doesn't get to retire. She is the longest living monarch. She is still living and reigning.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2020 :  11:30:46 AM  Show Profile
Stacy Sundgren, (slsundgren, #7112) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Bibliophile Badging Merit Badge!

“I have had a library card for my local library since I was a little girl. I got my first one in the early 70's and haven't been without one since. Our local library is not just a place for books, but a place of friends as well. Some of those working there now have been my friends for many, many years. I've watched the library grow and change with the times. There have been so many technological advances when it comes to accessing published material. The installation of computers has been a good thing, most of the time. The staff has to monitor patron activity. It is not at all unusual for some to try to access "off limits" websites. eBooks have been a big hit with many patrons. The library continues to update and expand the available list of virtual books.

Two popular classes that are taught periodically by volunteers are ESL and Computing for Beginners. There have been children's programs for years, including a weekly Storytime session and a summer reading program. Our library really is a source of so many wonderful ways to read, learn, and keep up with the world. I honestly cannot imagine our town without it. Covid-19 has halted many of the normal activities that happen daily at the library. The staff is working, but the doors are closed except for just a few hours a week. There is a limit on how many patrons can enter at a time and elderly patrons have priority. When the doors aren't open, curb service is being provided.

For the second part of this badge, I prepared my TBR list and posted a picture of it on the chatroom Bibliophile Badge thread. These are all my personal books.

So far, it has turned out fine. I've put together a great list of books to read, by some of my favorite authors.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page