Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 525

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2008 :  4:53:51 PM  Show Profile
Dawn McKinney has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Entrepreneurial Spirit badge!

"I have already had my business plan in place for a year now. I am starting a farm market as of 9/20/08 which is opening day. I have a small shed with shelving and homestyle notions. My moneies and insurance are already in place. I will post my biz plan in the next section. Esthetically, the market is appealing, the crops are growing and business is slow but steady. Revised business plan 7/31/08.

Goals:
SHORT
Obtain proper licensure
“seed money”
Product
Marketing

LONG
To open a farmers market that incorporates my family & community
To offer consistent and superior customer service
To offer superior product and product knowledge
To exceed above and beyond customers expectations
To Listen, and effectively communicate with customers and staff
To build a business reputation that’s fair and has integrity
To increase awareness of farm preservation

COMMUNICATE-LISTEN-LEARN

Dawn M. McKinney,
Agri-penuer, Owner
Harvest Thyme Farm & Market (HTFM)

Featuring:
Seasonal Fruits and Vegetables
Fresh Eggs
Homestyle gifts and apparel

Description of Business:
Farm Market

Marketing Plan:
Door to Door flyer introductions
Local Newspaper
Drawings
Open House

Management
HTFM will be managed by me. I will oversee all aspects of business management. Assistance will come in forms of accountant, contractors and family.

Competition:
There aren’t many local farm markets around here except the Amish. I would stand out in the area as an original farm market. As an edge, I could offer seedling in Spring and pumpkin carving classes in Autumn. To incorporate community I could establish consignment for Amish/English related goods.

Staff:
Owner/Clerk
Farm Hands (do dogs count?)
Independent Contractors

Business Insurance
Grange Insurance Co.

Finance
Loan Applications-completed
Start up seed money of $150
Start up product monies of $2000
Equipment (none needed)
Balance Sheet
Break Even Analysis
Pro-Forma Income Project Lists (profit/loss sheets)
1st year detail by month
Detail by quarter, 2nd and 3rd year.
Assumptions upon which projections were based

Will need:
Tax returns for last three years and personal financial statements
Copy of proposed lease or purchase agreement for building space
Copy of resume of principals
Copies of letter of intent from suppliers

RULES OF CONDUCT/ EMPLOYEE POLICIES/GUIDELINES
All employees are required to act like ladies and gentleman.
The following will not be tolerated and may result in immediate dismissal.

*Listen, the most difficult skill to master, the most valuable once learned.
*TEAMWORK: Help other no matter what they are doing. Each employee partake and integral part in our overall success.
*NO GOSSIPING with employees or clients. Ever.
*Support your co-workers, no matter what.
*No personal conversations in front of clientele.
*Proper grammar is to be used at all times.
*Endangering the life of an employee or customer
*Falsification of company documents or records
*Deliberately stealing, defacing, abusing, damaging the property of a co-worker the farm, or clientele
*The use of illegal drugs or alcohol during working hours or the miss-use of prescription medications
*Arriving at work under the influence of any of the above
*NO firearms are permitted on the work site
*Selling or offering for sale any non-company items
*Rude or vulgar language will not be tolerated
*Repeated difficulties with co-workers may result in immediate termination
*Excessive tardiness or absenteeism
*Appearance must be appropriate and done before arrival to work.
*Insubordinations will result in immediate dismissal.

POLICIES AND PROCEDURES OF HTFM
Refunds at 100% will be given if item(s) are returned unopened and unused.
Refunds at 50% will be given on returned item(s) that are opened and used.
NO refunds on fresh product.
Clients with discrepancies will be referred to management for refunded or free services.
Gift Certificates are available in any amount, can be used towards product or retail. Gift Certificates cannot be refunded for cash.
Fire Extinguishers are located at ______________and _______________. Everyone is mandated be trained on fire safety procedures.
In case of any emergency dial 911
All equipment must be turned off at end of day and documented in equipment manual
All employees are on a 90 day probationary period. After 90 days permanent employment will be determined after evaluation. Evaluations are then conducted on a yearly basis.
Employees will be paid weekly, every Tuesday. Discussion about wages between staff is strictly prohibited and grounds for termination.
Inventory to be done on a weekly basis and orders to be placed by management on Mondays or otherwise directed.
Disciplinary action will be documented in writing and placed in your individual file. You get the Baseball Rule: Strike 1: verbal warning; Strike 2: verbal and a day (or days) off without pay, Strike 3: You’re out.
Continued:
HTFM will take responsibility for all spa advertisement and promotions.

DRESS CODE
No boobs, butt cracks or belly buttons.
Otherwise, dress accordingly to weather conditions. This is farm work, common sense prevails. Works boots, gloves, jeans and a long sleeve shirt are recommended.

HOURS OF OPERATION
The work week will consist of 5 days. The following are the hours of operation:

Monday Closed
Tuesday 3pm-7pm
Wednesday 3pm-7pm
Thursday 3pm-7pm
Friday 3pm-7pm
Saturday 1pm to 7pm
Sunday Closed

All staff members are encouraged to show up for their shift 15 minutes early and may be asked to stay later.

TIME OFF
Request for vacation or time off maybe made in writing to management at least 48 hours prior to date requested so that effective arrangements can be made. Vacation/Time Off slips are available in the office and must be placed in appropriate box.

CLEANING/MAINTENANCE
Everyone is required to clean up around the farm. This is a common sense farm in that if it’s dirty, clean it. If it’s lying on the floor/ground, pick it up. Everyone is required to help clean and maintain all property of HTFM as if it were their own. All areas of service must be kept clean and orderly. All personal items are to be kept in employee sanctioned areas. Cleaning schedules will be posted weekly and must be signed off. If an area not assigned to you is in need of assistance, please take care of it. Common sense should prevail.

OPEN DOOR/GRIEVANCE
If you need to speak with me personally about something private, I am always available to you. All I ask is that you leave me a quick note, and we will arrange a time to discuss the issue at heart.

7/08: all monies, and insurance in place. Employees: 2. Opening Day tentatively set for
September 20, 2008. Starting with pumpkins, gourds and seasonal squash."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2008 :  4:19:29 PM  Show Profile
Dawn McKinney has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a intermediate level Entrepreneurial badge!

"I have all my monies, product and insurance in place. I have business cards and a tentative open date of 9/20/08.

It turned out REALLY GOOD!!!!!!I even have a website that will be started about the same time!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2008 :  4:43:55 PM  Show Profile
Chelsey Swan has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching and Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge!

"I have been steadily collecting buttons since I joined the farmgirl sisterhood. I had about 70 buttons that I had collected as a child. Some were my mother's and she had given them to me when I was little. I also found some at an antique store in Seattle near Pike Place Market. At the store it was 50 cents a scoop...with the scooper being a pretty sterling silver spoon.

I have 270 buttons in total as of right now and many different varieties. There are antique picture buttons, vintage and newer buttons. I have plastic, metal, bone, shell, and leather buttons. I keep them in a small Kerr Mason jar. I really liked earning this badge and will continue my button collection! They are just so fun to hunt down and collect and there are so many different varieties!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2008 :  4:59:38 PM  Show Profile
Rene Groom has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Spirit badge!

"Journaling has always been something that I have done~but this one I decided to have a special theme~ one of just writing down what I was thankful for in others. Kind things other people did or said even some of the unkind things as it gave me the opportunity to stretch and to grow so I thanked them in the journal too, for had it not been that they were unkind I wouldn't have gotten to see my own opportunities to grow and to show kindness in spite of the events.. This Journal has also given me the opportunity to see others in the community differently. As an active member in our community, I can get caught up in what is going wrong and what isn't getting done~ yet this journal has made me focus on just the positive and has made it easier to see and send little notes of encouragment to those that are doing things that maybe I wasn't seeing before.

It has certainly been a growth producing exercise for me and helped me focus on the good in others and less on the not-so-good moments we all have. This is an exercise I will continue for my own personal growth."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2008 :  12:12:19 PM  Show Profile
Rene Groom has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Community Action badge!

"I have been interested in the area of our communities recyling for some time. We have a few large dump off bins around down, but no campaign in place to educate nor any curbside recycle program. I called the various agencies to inquire why or why not and was informed that while the company that our city is contracted with does supply these options~ our city doesn't have a contract to have these programs. I then called the City Hall and was told that this was true and it was a budget issue. So this is the actions I am taking:
1) I organized our own home to do a tighter job of recycling.
2) I began a spread sheet to show exactly what products we were using and what type of bottles, plastics etc. that we would need to be able to recycle.
3) I contacted a local Metal recycling place in town and found out that they will take soda cans~ having lived here for 9 years and been heavily active in the community I know that this isn't common knowledge~ So I am adding this info to a Column I write in our local paper.

I am in the beginning stages of making our town a recycling town. The information I have gathered will be very helpful in the upcoming months. We have noticed a big difference the amount of garbage we send off with the garbage man~ as much of it is now going down to the Dump off bins in town."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2008 :  12:41:39 PM  Show Profile
Rene Groom has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Gaining Ground badge!

"I have always been fascinated with composting~ I heard a gal here in town tell someone that she gardens simply so that she would have something to compost~ I thought that was funny! I'm always looking for new ways so when I came across this article from the Seattle Public Utilites in conjunction with the natural Soil Building Program and the Seattle Tilth Association I just had to try it~

-you will need one galvanized metal can
-a drill with a sharp drill bit
-a shovel
-a place to put the can
and about 15 minutes tops...

Take your can and draw a line around it about 2/3 the way down the can.

Take your drill (or hammer and nail) and place about 20 holes in the very bottom of the can.. then another 20 below the line you marked.

Now take the shovel and dig a hole deep enough to bury the can about 2" deeper than where the top holes are drilled....

Once you have it just the way you want it, fill it back in and VOILA! If you have a pet you will want to have some kind of tie down for the lid as it is low enough for them to get into..

These are cheap enough and can be decorated in anyway one might want~ that they become a fun addition to the back yard garden space~ and you can have more than one....

This has been fun! I had my doubts as it seemed way to easy to actually work.. But I have had it for a little over a month and it works great.. I keep a little straw to put on top of the food scrapes so it won't smell when we have backyard parties~ But so far it has been so much fun~"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2008 :  09:32:14 AM  Show Profile
Rene Groom has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Heirloom Forever badge!

"I planted ALL heirlooms this year. I was told by my local "expert" that planting all heirloom was "risky" as they can be "touchy"~ Humm! Well they are behaving in MY garden. My favorites are the Amish Brandywine (which I think are some of the most common heirlooms tomatoes), Green Zebras and Aunt Ruby's German Green (tomatoes as well).. I also love the heirloom Black Seed Simpson lettuce and the Roquette Arugula...

For fun I bought lettuce and arugula and tomatoes at the store and made a salad.. then made a matching salad with the things we grew... EVERYONE favored the flavor of the home grown. I must say it was so noticable~ the flavors are so different and far better.

Lynn Coulters Book "Gardening with Heirloom Seeds"~ I had a hard time finding it and by chance one of ladies that comes to our farmers' market had it. I learned so much. Lynn is a journalist so I know that the book must have been so researched, yet it was an easy read. It really spring-boarded me to read more books on the topic~ and of course has caused me to have more then one interesting discussion with friends who are plant breeders :)...."

"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2008 :  09:52:14 AM  Show Profile
Rene Groom has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a intermediate level Community Action badge!

"For the Beginner Merit Badge I shared that I was pursuing how we as a community can get better about recycling~ For this Badge we are asked to get involved~ SO I have invested 5 hours attending local meetings of the City Council and library meetings on the topic for Benton County (the county I live in) and talked with some of the other farmgirls in my chapter about joining with me to shed light and change this. I have also visited with a couple of the other groups in town.

I have learned a lot of interesting things in this process~ Like the garbage contracts between cities in the same vary based on a "pick and choose" method... there is a flat fee.. and then fees are added based on the services requested. I am hoping that this contract can be given another look to include more education and possibly curb side recycling.

There are great programs and funding in place it seems.. but there also seems to be a mind set that "if it ain't broke~ don't fix it" and it isn't considered broke until someone starts the discussion~ So the discussion has begun!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2008 :  09:57:49 AM  Show Profile
Rene Groom has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Public Service badge!

"For the Beginner Merit Badge I shared that I was pursuing how we as a community can get better about recycling~ For this Badge we are asked to get involved~ SO I have invested 5 hours attending local meetings of the City Council and library meetings on the topic for Benton County (the county I live in) and talked with some of the other farmgirls in my chapter about joining with me to shed light and change this. I have also visited with a couple of the other groups in town.

The candidate I supported won the election and the changes in our community are very noticable."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2008 :  10:34:33 AM  Show Profile
Rene Groom has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a intermediate level Public Service badge!

"Last year our town was in a little bit of disarray with some fairly major squabbling going on~ One of the citizens would leave horrible signs coming into the town~ not quite the image we all wanted. I had left a 4 year post on the Chamber Board as Executive Secretary and on the tourism board and was enjoying the quietness of my own livingroom and home :). I was approached by some friends that were very active in the community to support one of them in the upcoming elections~ I did! I sat, listened and learned a lot and went out campaigning for the candidate of choice. I am a Voter.. always have been..Too many have lost too much for me not to vote in every election I have the opportunity to.

It was an honor to be asked to come back as often times you wonder if you make a difference and if the sacrifices you make to be there are worth it. I love our community and those that work so hard to make it all that it is."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2008 :  10:41:40 AM  Show Profile
Rene Groom has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a expert level Public Service badge!

"After being asked to come back to the Prosser Chamber Board and having my name put on the ballot I was voted back in for another term... I love this community and feel honored to do my little part.

Free Lunch by David Cay Johnston~ WOW! I was reminded as I read this book of what my dad used to say when I was growing up; "If good people don't get involved then evil people will". I found myself asking throughout this whole book, "how did we get here?".. where corruption seems so rampant... where the poor get poorer and the rich richer all because the rich know how or the poor don't know how to play the government game. This book just reminded me that we really should just fire everyone who has ever been in Washington and hire a farmer.. then I think common sense would prevail

I know that I am very patriotic, I love God, country, family and the American made...I have boys that are in the military and I spend more than my share of hours worrying about them and their buddies~ I vote, I am involved in community, I don't leave the mess for others to clean up, I roll up my sleeves and am not afraid to get dirty.........My Republican friends think I am too Left and my Democratic friends think I am too right and like the song by Cheley Wright... you shouldn't judge me just from the bumper stickers on the back of my SUV because I don't fit into any one catagory~ I am a free thinker and that is the most patriotic thing anyone can be in my opinion.. and to be honest this book made me mad....and sad.........and ashamed.It is by far the best book I have read (well with the exception as "Diet for a new America" which had a similar affect on me :) I hope if you are looking for a book to move you forward that you take the time to read this one~ it isn't an easy one but I guarantee you will come away better for doing so."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2008 :  10:48:07 AM  Show Profile
Rene Groom has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Gratitude badge!

"Journaling has always been something that I have done~but this one I decided to have a special theme~ one of just writing down what I was thankful for in others. Kind things other people did or said even some of the unkind things as it gave me the opportunity to stretch and to grow so I thanked them in the journal too, for had it not been that they were unkind I wouldn't have gotten to see my own opportunities to grow and to show kindness in spite of the events.. This Journal has also given me the opportunity to see others in the community differently. As an active member in our community, I can get caught up in what is going wrong and what isn't getting done~ yet this journal has made me focus on just the positive and has made it easier to see and send little notes of encouragment to those that are doing things that maybe I wasn't seeing before.

It has certainly been a growth producing exercise for me and helped me focus on the good in others and less on the not-so-good moments we all have. This is an exercise I will continue for my own personal growth."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2008 :  11:19:56 AM  Show Profile
Dana Schulz has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching and Crafting for earning a intermediate level aprons badge!

"My college daughter wanted an apron for her new apartment. It had to be a fashion statement in order for her to wear it! We found a halter-style full apron that looked like a sundress.

It was not very difficult but many steps! It turned out wonderful and she wore it to the store that evening over a jean skirt and t-shirt!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2008 :  3:36:28 PM  Show Profile
Dana Schultz has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Tatting badge!

"I spent a long weekend learning needle tatting using the books by Barbara Foster. I have never been able to tat for more than a second with a shuttle, but I am very handy with a needle so I thought this might be the ticket.

I LOVE this method of tatting! I made everything in the book! I have done the required things for this badge including the 3 foot length. I applied the length to a pillow case and gave it away before taking a picture of it! I also made a navy necklace, but that will be for another level!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2008 :  09:21:00 AM  Show Profile
Dana Schultz has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge!

"I spent a lovely day with my two daughters going through old ratty clothes that were going to the trash taking buttons off! We even took a few pockets off of jeans for future projects!

Now I have a large jar of buttons for all occasions! Can't wait to make some wonderful necklace out of the older ones!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2008 :  09:42:16 AM  Show Profile
Dana Schultz has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge!

"I wanted to put together a sewing kit for my daughter. I gathered up things and made an amiguri pin cushion. I separated each item into separate little tins and presented it to her on her birthday!

She was delighted with the pincushion with its little pins sticking out of its head! Everything fits nicely in the larger tin and can be taken in any bag. I especially had fun with the pin cushion. I used a soda top as the foundation and then used felt to make it."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2008 :  09:49:54 AM  Show Profile
Dana Schultz has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Bustin' Out badge!

"When my daughter returned from study abroad in India she was a new vegetarian. We spent a month going to the farmers market in the city and trying a new fruit or vegetable so as to expand both our palates! We had great fun trying new ways to incorporate the treasures we brought home. The BakeOvers were the best thing we mastered! Now she is back at school and has discovered the town's Saturday market. There is an organic farm nearby that she will buy from! How cool is that?"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2008 :  10:09:57 AM  Show Profile
Marsha Jaramillo has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Going Green badge!

"My family has been green since January 2004. We started with using chemical free cleansers in 1994. Then added our organic foods in 2004. All our body products are chemical free too! Even our pets are bathed with homemade earth-friendly soaps.

I started many of my friends on using the chemical free products in 2004 and started my Mom on free samples of product to use in her cleaning.

Our family stayed on the program, but sad to say I haven't seen my friends or Mom stay with it. They just go back and forth with their 'green' habits.

So, I decided to try again this year. I'm going to use the suggestion of a whole gift basket full of food and cleaners and see if they will stay with it. Most complain of the cost involved. I don't see it being more expensive, but it really matters to me that I use chemical free in my life."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2008 :  10:35:24 AM  Show Profile
Amanda Thompson has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Aprons badge!

"I made this apron for a friend. It took a while to find the right fabric for it, but I did! :) I love the way it turned out - the pocket is crooked, but that was intentional. For me I put my hands in my pockets from the side, not straight in."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2008 :  10:59:43 AM  Show Profile
Linda O'Hara has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Crochet badge!

"I taught myself to knit and crochet when I was a child, but hadn't done either in a long while due to first, my career (RN-pediatric specialist) and then becoming handicapped (MS, then went toxic on meds, had liver damage, and went into a coma.) Anyway-who, the dear LORD JESUS woke me up on Sept. 22, 2004, and I've been trying to put my life together ever since. I found a ton of green yarn stash and decided to build my craft muscles by making a scarf.

I also taught my friend, Ev, how to crochet; but I have to admit, she's an avid knitter and just didn't like it even after all our lessons, so I suppose I failed to win her over there.

Actually, in my goal to use up all my bits and pieces of green yarn, the scarf turned out waaaay too long (turned into a "Dr. Who" scarf), and too thick (wide); but it's pretty (imho), and very soft and warm. And green and black are my two favorite colors, so I like it a lot."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2008 :  11:12:22 AM  Show Profile
Linda O'Hara has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Entrepreneurial Spirit badge!

"Since I am housebound (handicapped and can't drive anymore), and still have considerable medical bills, I figured one of the best ways to bring money into our home is to start an Online business. The business has to be something I enjoy doing as well as an avenue to bless people with Christian love through the appearance and icons on my web site, and especially through great customer service.

Name = Dancing Bear Crafts

Projected Opening Date = Sept. 22, 2008

Our merciful JESUS woke me from a coma on Sept. 22, 2004, so I thought Sept. 22 would be a good date to launch out on a new adventure again.

I'm making it a reality. I've stocked up on craft and office supplies, made a list of potential items I could sell, and re-arranged my office to make it more user-friendly."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2008 :  4:29:32 PM  Show Profile
Lara Falcone has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge!

"On Saturday I started going through my various sewing boxes and supplies to find extra needles, etc. for a simple sewing kit. I had to pick up a few things at the store but I came across a cute swatch of fabric that I had bought years ago while pregnant with my first daughter. I bought it because I still remember a doll clothed with the very same fabric when I was just a small girl.

I was able to get a needle threader, a seam ripper, some clothespins, a small ruler, a pair of scissors, pins, needles, safety pins, fabric markers and some natural buttons all in a vintage canning jar that I found in my garage. I also stuffed the fabric with batting and glued it to a canning jar lid for use as a pincushion.

I just love it! I like having a large kite for my sewing machine and a small simple one for use around the house.

I keep it on my fireplace mantle so that it is easily accessible to me should I need it and I love it's "Country" look.

A couple in progress pics:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/yulegirl/IMG_1998.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/yulegirl/IMG_2070.jpg
"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2008 :  5:04:20 PM  Show Profile
Marcy Piggott has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Get It Together badge!

"I started cleaning out my cupboards just to get rid of the plastic containers. I am going to use them to start my seedlings in for the spring garden.

My cupboards are much cleaner and organized. I also started a box of unwanted kitchen stuff for the kids when they move out. I even asked other family members to contribute to the box. Now the kids won't have to buy what they need to start their own kitchen!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2008 :  09:10:20 AM  Show Profile
Marcy Piggott has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Going Green badge!

"I cleaned out all the cleaners and started fresh. I did some research and found recipes for green cleaners. I even changed shampoo, conditioner, detergents, and toothpaste. Our Mission statement is: As long as we breathe we will only use products that respect and protect the earth. We will also pass this on to future generations. I took all my green recipes and made a book just for them. Now, it's easier to make more soap, hair gel or cleaning products.

I really like knowing that my home is green. I feel better without the chemicals and my grocery bill is less. Vinegar and baking soda are so inexpensive. I only wish I had known this when my kids were little. I will show my grandkids how to be green."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2008 :  09:18:07 AM  Show Profile
Marcy Piggott has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Aprons badge!

"The first time I saw the No Frills Frilly Apron, I knew I just had to make it. I was working at a Tool & Die shop and they blew up the pattern for me at no charge. I gave them some jam in return. The next day I bought the material, white background with little blue and pink flowers, cut out the pattern and started sewing. I stayed up most of the night getting it finished. The ruffles were a bit tricky for me.

I was so excited when I finished that I put it right on! I packed it when I went to grama's house just to show her (she lives in Michigan). She loved it and wants one of her own! So I will give it to her for Christmas!!"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 525 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page