Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 31 2010 :  12:27:35 PM  Show Profile
Rusty McHale (Rusty, #1572) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level Disconnect to Reconnect badge.

"My husband and I spent several week-ends up at Bear Mountain Lodge in Silver City (a nature conservancy). There was no TV, computer or phone. (Just our cell in case my elderly mother had problems). We hiked the trails and just all around relaxed. I took my knitting and my husband took his book.

We always enjoy going up there."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 31 2010 :  12:32:47 PM  Show Profile
Rusty McHale (Rusty, #1572) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level What's Your Beef? badge.

"We were at our local farmer's market last Sat. and bought a steak from a local grass-fed farm. What a difference in taste and texture. I can't wait to go back and get more cuts of beef. I did research the difference between grass-fed beef and corporate raised. I looked up the website www.eatwild.com and noted that grass fed beef are more nutritious, since farmers don't use hormones or growth-promoting additives. It is better for our health and that of cattle. The cattle are not stressed and get plenty of fresh air and are happier.
My husband and I can't get over the difference in taste - we are hooked on grass fed beef and also free range chickens."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 31 2010 :  12:49:38 PM  Show Profile
Melissa Bailey (MissLiss, #724) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a intermediate level Shopping Green badge.

"I started keeping a journal of all the great ideas for homemade, non-toxic, safe cleaners that the ladies on the forum were chatting about. Those ladies have such useful information! I also put in recipes from the MJF magazine and ones that I find on-line. I am trying to get away from store bought cleaners all together and only use homemade green cleaners! That is my ultimate goal!

I am currently using a homemade laundry soap for my wash and have committed to using only that from now on. I have also started experimenting with vinegar and baking soda in various ways around the house - cleaning counters, de-stinking drains, etc. So far I'm very impressed with how well the homemade cleaners compare to the "toxic" ones I was using for so long! And since I'm pregnant, it's a nice feeling to be able to not have to hold my breath while I clean off the counters!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 31 2010 :  12:56:04 PM  Show Profile
Melissa Bailey (MissLiss, #724) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Bustin' Out badge.

"This one was a little hard for us. My husband, for some reason, doesn't DO organic. I think it stems back to one time when we got an organic salad bag mix at a store and he found a snail inside. Whatever the cause, he seems to be a bit put off by the word organic. So I started with "cheater" items - things that I normally don't buy so that they were already tempting and special. Chocolate sauce for ice cream, vanilla yogurt, my daughter's milk and bananas. I slipped the bananas in without anyone noticing!

Well, I bought the organic vanilla yogurt first and popped it into my ice cream maker for a treat - organic fro-yo! Daughter loved it, husband wouldn't try it. The next week, I got some organic chocolate sauce for our newly made fro-yo. Daughter really loved that and hubby tried it. He said it was odd, that he could TASTE that there was something "wrong" with it, but he went back for seconds, so it must not have been that bad! Nobody noticed the bananas or the milk, so I think they are both winners too! I just have to get used to a new budget since these items are all more expensive than their "regular" counterparts. But it's great to know that I'm being better to my family and the environment - as well as the farmers!!!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 31 2010 :  1:00:50 PM  Show Profile
Cheryl Eki (cheryleki3, #1472) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"Got and used a dozen reusable shopping bags.

I LOVE IT!!! Not only can I get more groceries in less bags I can lug more in! I keep a set in both vehicles for unplanned trips to the store."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 31 2010 :  1:05:37 PM  Show Profile
Cheryl Eki (cheryleki3, #1472) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Going Green badge.

"I replaced all my home cleaning products with natural cleaners.

I love cleaning and not smelling or breathing in the chemicals. It is great knowing I am using all products that are safe for my family, animals and the environment."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 31 2010 :  1:14:34 PM  Show Profile
Wendy Deckman (Anne-girl, #1565) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge.

"Because I live in suburbia, I can't keep chickens (I checked) but I've been buying locally-grown, organic eggs from the market and from a friend who does raise organic eggs so that I and my children can collect them ourselves. Our pets (dog, guinea pig, rabbit) eat mostly organic, much of which is homegrown.

This is an on-going lifestyle, but it seems to be turning out just fine. We're all pretty healthy."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 31 2010 :  1:19:24 PM  Show Profile
Wendy Deckman (Anne-girl, #1565) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level What's Your Beef? badge.

"I learned long ago about the horrors of the meat industry and became a vegetarian at 18. Corporately raised beef (or just about anything else) is caged in heinous conditions, pumped full of growth hormones, antibiotics, and other drugs. The animals are frequently abused and stressed, increasing the amount of adrenalin in the meat. But the worst is that this destroys family farms that do not use such inhumane methods. Grass fed beef is not injected with hormones or additives or antibiotics. They live in much healthier conditions, resulting in less need for medical intervention, lowered stress levels and healthier meat. At www.eatwild. I learned that grass-fed beef has less fat and cholesterol and fewer calories than it's factory-produced counterpart. It also contains more vitamin E and C, beta-carotene, omega-3 fatty acids, and conjugated linoleic acid.

While I learned about some benefits of grass-fed beef vs. factory raised, it's still not going to make me eat meat again. :-)"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 31 2010 :  1:29:00 PM  Show Profile
Judy Torola (JudyT, #599) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge.

"My youngest will be leaving the nest soon and I thought what a wonderful thing to give her. I made the sewing box myself by covering a box with fabric. I also made the strawberry pin keeper which the needles and safety pins are in. I thought the sewing kit could use a tape measure so I added one.
When I showed her the sewing kit she was all excited to learn how to do some mending."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 31 2010 :  2:03:22 PM  Show Profile
Teresa Woodson (kangaroo kate, #1506) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Horse Dreams badge.

"While at Scarborough fair.. a Renaissance festival that is in this area every year I met some of the jousting horses. I got a photo of one with one of the ladies riding him. They were also offering rides on them. This horse I was told is a mix breed, most are draft breeds of horses which can carry the heavy weight when armor is being worn.
Although some other smaller breeds are also used for lighter activities.

It was fun to learn about the different breeds of horses that are used for these type of activities."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 31 2010 :  2:19:25 PM  Show Profile
Joan Van Roo (Tourguidejoan, #1403) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Bustin' Out badge.

"I began buying one organic food per week for a month. The foods were:
organic baby carrots
organic peaches
organic milk
organic cauliflower
I also purchased Mary Jane's Bakeover
sampler with the skillet.

This is the first time I have been buying organic with the goal of eating all organic. There is a farmer's market nearby that is open on Tuesday mornings with produce from local farms. I'm lovin' it!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 31 2010 :  2:27:28 PM  Show Profile
Joyce Speidel (Wyoming Lookout, #979) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I have purchased/earned eight reusable shopping bags and use them regularly. I have only brought home plastic twice in the last two months-because I was riding with a friend and didn't have my bags with me. I always return the bags to the trunk of my car when I unload them so they are ready for the next shopping trip."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 31 2010 :  2:59:54 PM  Show Profile
Wendy Deckman (Anne-girl, #1565) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Community Service badge.

"I discovered a bunch of organizations that I wanted to be involved with. The hard part was selecting just one! There is an Awana club at our church, a crisis pregnancy center, a mother's group, and a community campground that needed help. Because of my children, I decided that helping with maintenance at the camp would be the best use of our time and the children would be able to be involved. So we cleaned bathrooms, vacuumed meeting halls, picked up trash, raked leaves, and relined stone walkways. We worked on May 20th (2 hrs.), 21st (3 hrs.)and 26th (5 hrs.).

I tell you, my back positively screamed for a massage after lugging five truck-fulls of leaves out of camp! My children enjoyed playing and collecting sticks and rocks more than anything else, but they did see the value of helping out a neighbor in need. The picture is of a "break" we took."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 31 2010 :  3:09:47 PM  Show Profile
Rusty McHale (Rusty, #1572) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Embroidery badge.

"This is a folk art kit that I sent for because it has bird houses on it and I collect rustic birdhouses. It took me awhile to get the hang of embroidery again (it's been a long time).

I just love it - It is hanging in our bathroom."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 31 2010 :  3:28:34 PM  Show Profile
Rusty McHale (Rusty, #1572) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge.

"Went to our local co-op store and bought some farm fresh eggs (free-range and organic) and loved them. The bright yellow was such a change from the drab yellow regular eggs have. The flavor was even more intense. We are sold on these eggs.

We will never go back to regular eggs again."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 31 2010 :  3:36:22 PM  Show Profile
Rusty McHale (Rusty, #1572) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Self-sufficiency badge.

"We grow rosemary and I also have a basil plant in my kitchen. I dried some rosemary in the garage and it turned out great. I dried the basil in the oven on a very low heat. It too turned out good.

They both will be given as gifts as soon as I sew some bags up."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 31 2010 :  3:41:30 PM  Show Profile
Rusty McHale (Rusty, #1572) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Little Squirts badge.

"My husband and I went around the house and located all of the squeaks that needed to be fixed. We used graphite instead of oil because we live in the desert and it is windy most of the time. Oil would only hold in the sand and dirt.

We fixed all of squeaks and everything is running smoothly now."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 31 2010 :  3:52:54 PM  Show Profile
Dianna Morris (annaid41, #1534) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge.

"I made a sewing kit for my grand daughter who is learning to sew. I used a plastic show container to hold all the sewing items. I made the pincushion from a ceramic dipping bowl and leftover flannel fabric - stuffed with a lining of cotton quilt batting and then filled with sawdust shavings."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 31 2010 :  4:02:04 PM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson (FieldsofThyme, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a intermediate level In the Garden badge.

"I reused 15 tin cans around the garden and in the home.

This was a challenge. We don't use canned soups or food in an abundance, especially now that we grow a garden. Here is what I made with tin cans:

8 - empty tomato sauce cans. I drilled holes around them and placed citronella candles in them. The are placed around the patio garden when we are on the porch at night.

2 - empty tuna cans. One can was painted with outdoor paints and made into a garden ladybug. I had all the supplies to make it. The nose on the ladybug is a button. My daughter was tickled because we just finished button crafts. The second can is being saved for my youngest daughter's holiday party in school next school year.

2 - empty mushroom cans. One was turned upside down and painted green, adding 1 inch wood painted disks for eyes and added legs to make a garden toad. The second can was used to make a wind-chime using 4 tin can lids as well.

1 - coffee can. This was reused for a chicken feed scoop.

2 - empty pie filling cans. One can was decoupaged with scrap fabric to hold my writing pens. The second one was made into a portable art utensil carrier for my son. I drilled holes on two upper sides, and made a handle with wire.

Here are the names of the books I used to get ideas from:

Too Cute Cans, book 2, by Paula Bales
The Fine Art of the Tin Can, by Bobby Hansson
Tin Craft, A Work Book by Fern-Rae Abraham

We found these by searching our local library catalog. We are excited to make more items with tin cans."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 31 2010 :  4:16:18 PM  Show Profile
Debra Swan (Debra Swan, #462) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge.

"I had gotten a book on pincushions and loved the one made out of a canning jar.

I thought it came out cute! I enjoy homemade things and this is special because I used one of my mothers canning jars. Great memories."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 31 2010 :  4:22:30 PM  Show Profile
Shayna Palmer (mrsdirtdoctor, #1371) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I have four Hannaford's shopping bags, and one that I made and one that I traded with my mother.

We have been using them for well over a year now and it has cut down on so much plastic bags that we didn't even know what to do with anyway!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 31 2010 :  4:31:44 PM  Show Profile
Shayna Palmer (mrsdirtdoctor, #1371) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge.

"Last year we got six Rhode Island red hens when they were just a day old, we built our run and coop from scrap wood mostly and allow them to free range and eat organic yogurt I make for them.

We love the fresh eggs and so do our neighbors, we have bartered so many plants and other great things with our eggs! We now have three Silkies as well, the flock is a growin!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2010 :  10:46:16 AM  Show Profile
Rusty McHale (Rusty, #1572) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level Outstepping badge.

"My husband and I went day hiking in the Sacramento Mountains, along the Rio Grande River and also up at Bear Mountain Lodge in Silver City (that is a nature conservancy). We located and pictured the "Roadrunner" (state bird), "Yucca Flower" (state flower) and "Pinon Pine Tree" (state tree) - unfortunately our pictures did not turn out. I can make a campfire, done it a thousand times with chopping wood into kindling to start the fire and then adding larger pieces to keep the fire going until it burns down to start your cooking with (even if it's smore's).

Our hikes turned out great - our pictures didn't."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2010 :  11:07:18 AM  Show Profile
Marcy Lundy (Marcy, #170) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Embroidery badge.

"I embroidered a Sunbonnet Sue dishcloth in some of my favorite colors.

I love it! I think I am going to send it out to someone."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2010 :  11:20:02 AM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson (FieldsofThyme, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an expert level Buttoned Up badge.

"Inherited my grandmother's buttons, which amount to way over 10 different buttons. I researched the history of button collecting.

According to one book I read, buttons at one time, were made from chicken skin, straw and even potato. I'm considering placing my grandmother's buttons into some type of display case that can be handed down in the family. Here are several book titles I checked out of our local library:

1. The Button Collector's History, by Grace Horney Ford

2. The Button Craft Book by Dawn Cusick

3. Sew it in Minutes, by Chris Malone

4. Button Crafts, book #28 in a series, by The Country Friends Collection, Gooseberry Patch

5. Buttons, The Collector’s Guide to Selecting, Restoring, and Enjoying New and Vintage Buttons, by Nancy Fink and Maryalice Ditzler
Button Crafts, American Girl, ISBN: 978-1-59369-577-4

6. Warman's Buttons Field Guide, by Jill Gorski."

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page