Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 525

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2010 :  3:39:30 PM  Show Profile
Stephanie Orr (OrrShine, #1545) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge.

"I have always carried my sewing supplies in a ziploc bag. Though for this project I decided to fashion a box that would fit all the essentials that I would use in a project.

The box works great for me. It fits well in my cabinet and is not an eye sore out on my desk. The pin cushion is a pin pillow sewn from two felt squares stuffed with batting."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2010 :  3:50:17 PM  Show Profile
Carla Garner (Phonelady, #1186) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Nellie Will-do badge.

"Dad had to buy an old truck to replace his car that a lady crushed with her SUV. This truck is old and there where no seat covers available to cover the ratty vinyl seats in the truck.
I told him I'd make him some seat covers [with all my two months sewing experience!].
Since I can't follow patterns I wrote down measurements and went home to try and replicate what I saw. Since my furniture is never square I didn't have much hope for doing the seats that way, BUT, sewing can hide lots of boo-boos, so I determined to sew real strong seams [I had some scrap material gotten for free so I had to make do here too].

Wow! What a learning experience! I found out how to make the material look like it was designed that way, synthetic velvet in blue [dad's favorite color] and mulberry [looks brown to me, but that's what the tag says] burlap like fabric. Had to use what I had so I sewed the mulberry to the blue, evenly on both sides and had enough to make the covers! Made giant buttonholes for the seatbelt entrances and the headrest places on top of the seat so the cut in slots would not unravel the fabric. Made close zigzag stitches to hold everything together in places where I knew that sitting would pull the seams.
It worked!
I am so jazzed to be able to follow through on something for someone else - and Dad was really touched that I would take that on for him."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2010 :  3:57:49 PM  Show Profile
Juanita Massey (Needy, #1020) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Nellie Will-do badge.

"I made my great Granddaughter a sun dress for her Birthday, June 10th. I spent about 25 hours on it. I didn't work on steady. It is pink flowers and a co-ordinate border in a pin trellis type print.

It turned out really cute and she likes it, plans to wear it to her Kindergarten graduation on the 16th."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2010 :  11:02:09 AM  Show Profile
Rose Lynn (christmasgal, #1486) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Knitting badge.

"I haven't knitted in many years so it took me over three hours to complete the knitted dishcloth after needing to restart a few times because of goof ups. I also taught one of my granddaughters to do cast on and the knit stitch.

It turned out lovely, I used a purple and white variegated cotton yarn and I can't wait to try it out doing the dishes tonight. It was so much fun to teach my granddaughter to knit also."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2010 :  11:13:37 AM  Show Profile
Judy King (patchworkpeace, #932) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level What's Your Beef? badge.

"I read the articles on eatwild.com regarding grassfed beef vs. feedlot beef and dairy. Some of this I already knew from reading on other websites and magazine articles. However, I was totally grossed out by finding out that cattle are fed rotten potatoes, culled candy in its wrappers and oily, greasy food such as leftover french fries and potato chips. Even though I don't eat them, I will never look at gummy bears, lemon drops and gum drops the same way again. Even though I already knew about the antibiotics that are fed to cattle, it never ceased to gag me.

Being an animal lover, the thought of forcing cattle up with a forklift in order to say they aren't "downed" and therefore can be slaughtered is so inhumane I could cry. Not to mention, the thought of what cattle go through suffering with acidosis, rumenitis, feedlot polio, vitamin-A deficiency, or eating pot scrubbers and phonebooks for roughage is unspeakable. How can large-scale operators live with themselves?

On the other hand, grassfed beef owners are on the right track. Its much easier to know one is eating beef that is cared for, lives peacefully munching healthy, organic grass and isn't distressed at weaning time or with long-distance shipping. Also, knowing the cattle isn't being sent to gross, stressful slaughterhouses for their last moments is bearable.

We just found a grass-fed beef farm in our county and look forward to doing business with them."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2010 :  11:26:27 AM  Show Profile
Judy King (patchworkpeace, #932) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level The Secret Life of Bees badge.

"1. I watched the trailer, Vanishing of the Bees today. I took notes during the trailer.

2. In addition to the purple flowering bushes we have on our property that the bees congregate around, we have planted zinnias, cosmos, marigold and poppies in the hope of attracting more bees. We already have purple irises - tons of them. We have other purple flowers which I don't know the names of - but bees should love us!

3. I read Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd, finished it June 3rd, 2010

The trailer told us that due to Colony Collapse Disorder the adult bee population is rapidly declining and that bees get disoriented and can't find their ways back to their hives. CCD should be a wakeup call to how we've played havoc on our environment. The website listed four ways to help bees: 1) plant a garden 2) get a hive 3) buy organic 4) use natural pesticides in home and garden

We do all 4 with the exception of having a hive which isn't practical where we live. I would love to own one though."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2010 :  11:34:40 AM  Show Profile
Kristen Myers (KristenMyers, #1642) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge.

"My husband and I have had our three goat girls for about two months now. They are all saneen goats. Which is a dairy breed of goat. We plan to milk them when their milk is in soon. Our goats were being raised on a commercial goat pellet food when we got them. Now they eat an organic diet of fescue hay and veggies. They also eat a lot of tree leaves and such.

This past weekend we rescued 4 angora rabbits. They stay in the house since they are a very delicate breed of rabbit. They require a lot of grooming since they have long hair. The challenge has been to get their severely matted hair off them as it is a huge health concern for the bunnies. Since getting these bunnies I have spent over 20 hours grooming them. They were being fed a commercial diet of bunny pellets. We switched them to organic carrots and veggies. Plus an organic rabbit cereal mix.

Our goats are healthy and they are gaining weight and should be good milk producers in a few months. Their coats are shinny now not dull like before. Their tails and ears have perker up and they actually smile :)

Our angora bunnies are healing and recovering from the hair problems. We continue to groom them daily! Our bunnies are loving celery and yogurt vitamins. They are regrowing their hair. :)"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2010 :  11:13:37 AM  Show Profile
Kristen Myers (KristenMyers, #1642) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Horse Dreams badge.

"We are lucky enough to have a horse farm on our road. We have admired these three horse for sometime now when we drive by. Last night we walked down the road to see the horses. We took them apple slices and fed them.

While we were there we talked to the owner, our neighbor we had never met, she told us that the horses were her daughters and that the one that let us pet it was named Starbuck! He is an Arabian breed horse from the research I did. The owner was not sure and called it just a standard/quarter horse. He was beautiful and magical all at once. I am sending a picture of all three horses we met!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2010 :  11:24:11 AM  Show Profile
Debra Swan (Debra Swan, #462) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Quilting badge.

"Thought I would try making a table runner. I love making the coasters and signature block.

I love it, it really came out cute, I thought."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2010 :  11:34:43 AM  Show Profile
Debra Swan (Debra Swan, #462) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Quilting badge.

"My friend was showing me some of her projects on quilting. I told her I would love to try quilting and saw this cute coaster. So she said that would be a good beginner project.

I thought it came out cute. Great gifts for friends, family etc. Fun project and quick!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2010 :  12:03:28 PM  Show Profile
Debra Swan (Debra Swan, #462) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an expert level Quilting badge.

"Well my husband got me this material lap quilt kit from Alaska. So I'm getting excited on quilting now, so I started on this quilt kit.

Oh! It came out beautiful..I'm hooked on quilting now. Thanks farmgirls for the different badges to earn. It sure is making me try new things and just loving every minute of it."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2010 :  12:13:01 PM  Show Profile
Marie Bucher (Reereebee, #1627) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Buttoned Up badge.

"I spent an evening "ooh-ing & ahh-ing" over my button collection and picking out my favorites. After I was done, I realized that I had picked those buttons with the most texture, most unique designs and all were natural materials or made to look like natural materials such as wood, mother of pearl, bone, stone, etc. The few that weren't happened to be in beautiful turquoise color tones. They looked great together when I layed them all out. Next, I pulled some jewelry clasps from the anals of my sewing box and some thin hemp cord. I strung them in an "over, under" pattern with every 4th or 5th button as one of the turquoise colors.

I was very pleased with the end result of my button bracelet. When I put it on, I didn't want to take it off. I wore it the next day to work and run errands. I actually got several compliments on it. The only thing I didn't like was its tendancy to flip over and show the back side of all the buttons. I may end up restringing it in some other way to see if I can fix that."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2010 :  12:19:26 PM  Show Profile
Robin Griffin (shepherdess, #1519) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Knitting badge.

"I have been knitting for many years.I have made socks, scarves , hats and just recently finished a pair of fingerless mittens I knit for my granddaughter. I love knitting find it very relaxing and enjoy knitting dishcloth's when I don't want to task my mind on a more complicated knitting project.

The fingerless mittens turned out very well for my first attempt. I need to perfect the thumb a little better. However my granddaughter loved them."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2010 :  12:37:53 PM  Show Profile
Judy King (patchworkpeace, #932) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Heirlooms Forever! badge.

"I began by reading Lynn Coulter's "Gardening with Heirloom Seeds" during the winter. That inspired me to order as many heirloom seeds as my seed company had available in varieties that would do well in my part of the country. I was able to plant 43% of my garden to heirlooms. From recommendations from MaryJane forum posters I will be changing my seed company next year and hopefully will be able to plant an even higher percentage.

The following are the heirloom varieties I planted:

Lettuces: Black-seeded Simpson, Deer Tongue
Beets: Bull's Blood
Beans: Garden of Eden Pole Beans, Scarlet Runner Beans
Flowers: Persian Carpet Zinnias, Perennial Lupine
Tomatoes: Great White, Black Krim, Rainbow, Brandywine, Legend

Everything is up and doing well with the exception of the lupine. We are enjoying the lettuce already and there are a few very, small tomatoes along with some flowers on the tomatoes. Can't wait!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2010 :  12:53:45 PM  Show Profile
Lindsay Troyer (Lindsay Troyer, #1548) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Going Green badge.

"I have been slowly changing over all of the products we use in my house to green or environmentally responsible ones, and I have just recently finished the task! I believe there is one bug killer bottle left that is being thrown out or given away, (even though its terrible, I still feel strange just tossing in the garbage), but besides that, everything is gone! We use Mrs. Meyers hand soap, dish soap and laundry detergent now and buy it in bulk. All of our shampoos, conditioners, toothpastes and lotions are organic or environmentally responsible. I started making notes and lists about what products would be better for my family to buy when decided risk to the producers, risk for our safety and risk on the environment once it's disposed of. I also recently brought veggie wash and biodegradable wipes to a friends house that needed some green help!

It went really well! My family have been avid about eating organic for my entire life and have farming in their blood, but surprisingly we weren't buying these simple products in that same spirit. My father has been really receptive and has become more aware and responsible about what he purchases. My dad's girlfriend has been really willing as well to change some old habits and try new products, although I think it has been more difficult for her because she hasn't been exposed to this idea of living for very long. This wasn't a terribly difficult task, thankfully, because my family believes so strongly in it. We just needed a little push! Thank you!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2010 :  1:01:25 PM  Show Profile
Kerma Hopewell (mimi kerma, #1009) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Gaining Ground badge.

"I have had a compost pile for over two years now. I also had one for years at my previous house.

I am very happy to say that my husband has totally come around and doesn't throw anything out without asking if is compost-able. Every morning he leaves his little packet of coffee grounds on the sink!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2010 :  1:09:10 PM  Show Profile
Kerma Hopewell (mimi kerma, #1009) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Crochet badge.

"I learned to crochet, daughter learned to knit. After one year we will flip flop and teach each other our skills.

My first project potholder was an almost perfect triangle. I made several potholders for my three year old granddaughter's toddler kitchen. After getting the hang of it I made big girl potholders. I have now made three doll afghans, countless potholders, and a pillow for my bed."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2010 :  1:35:25 PM  Show Profile
Beverly Sherman (KMop, #799) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level In the Garden badge.

"This year I finally made a trellis for my peas using sticks and strings.

And also my first year for pole beans...I built a teepee for them. They have just started to grow.

I think the peas are so much easier to care for, and the trellis was very easy to construct.

The teepee was made from cuttings when we trimed the brush in our lane. I think it is quite beautiful."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2010 :  2:19:39 PM  Show Profile
Joanne Nasser (jodi, #1125) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate and expert level Quilting badge.

"These were paper pieced and they were put together so that they would represent the seasons of the year. I work with special needs students and have taught them how to quilt. We had a blind young man (high school) and I was able to get him involved by having him rip the fabric for the sashes. I know this is a"NO NO" but it was the only way he could be involved.

The quilts turned out fine. They were a pleasure to make and I had a good time with them."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2010 :  3:31:23 PM  Show Profile
Ruby Slider (narjay, #1663) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge.

"I found what looks like a very small picnic basket (yard sale for $1.00). Lined it with material, and made the pin keeper by covering a small piece of wood with batting and covered it by pulling tight and stapling material over the batting. Then I glued it to the inside of the lid, so it will always be handy. I have all the sewing supplies beside the basket, so you can see them.

I'm proud of how it turned out. I think it's really cute. Can't wait to use it."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2010 :  3:44:23 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level 3 R's Rule (Reuse, Recycle, Revive!) badge.

"Well, I had a bunch of fun making my garden row markers!! Used tin can lids, stakes cut from the prunings from my pear and cherry trees.
Nail-punched the veggie name on lids, over marker print, used baling wire through holes to attach the stake twigs to the lid. Then I "planted" them in my garden.

Photo is of some of my tin-can row markers.

I have my own garden tools which include grass clipper, big pruners, little pruners, trowel, etc. I keep them clean and maintained, and stored in a bin in my utility room .

My husband is a knifemaker and fanatic about keeping things sharp so I know how to sharpen my garden tools.

Been gardening for years, been taking care of my garden tools for years too."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2010 :  3:50:43 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Make It! badge.

"I have tools in a special drawer in the kitchen that include: hammer, screwdrivers, variety of picture hangers, tape measure, glass scraper, etc. These are the tools that I use around the house for a variety of household purposes and are always stored here.

I have hand garden tools that are in a bin in my utility room, which include grass clippers, little pruners, trowel, gloves, etc. This is where they always are stored.

I have some larger tools, such as large pruners, weedeater, rake, hoe, etc. that are stored in our metal storage shed. When we are gardening the hoe, rake, & shovel are usually more available and stored by our house.

It's nice to have tools that are for MY use and that I can count on knowing where they are.

I know how to use them and when I need to make a purchase I can usually make intelligent ones.

We have constructed wooden planters of every size, shape and description over the years for use mostly when we lived in rentals. Used them for flowers and veggies such as lettuce, spinach and tomatoes."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2010 :  3:56:43 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a intermediate level Make It! badge.

"Many years ago I built a picnic table for our yard. It was sturdy and durable, however we lost it in our house fire in 1994.

While my husband was working out of town and my children were small I built a deck onto our log house. It was just a rectangular shape along one end of the house. It was sturdy and durable but we lost that with our house fire in 1994

New house, new construction, new deck.
I built the benches we use on our deck out of leftover redwood from the deck.
There are four small ones and two longer ones. Each year when I stain the deck (using natural stain) I also do the benches so that redwood is "nurtured" each year.

Our benches are handy, moveable and one of the best things we made for our deck and outdoor use.

I also have two tool caddies, one is a simple one made from wood and the other is a sturdy plastic one."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2010 :  4:03:45 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an expert level Make It! badge.

"We don't have a dairy animal currently but in the mid-1970s I did milk cows we were taking care of in exchange for a house to live in.

The owner was an older widow woman with a reputation for being a grouch and not very good at keeping things in working order.

We had to build a stanchion and stools for milking and taking care of those cows.

In later years, after we had our own place I milked two goats and, again, we had to build a pen and everything else necessary to take care of them.

I used red stone native to our part of Colorado to build borders around all of my flower beds. I also chose large flat ones to lay a small "patio" area in front of our deck and a walkway to the deck. As I am able to I will continue to collect our native red stone and enlarge this area.

It was fun sometimes to have dairy animals, but it was also difficult to get away because of the required milking schedule.

And being resourceful, I was always able to build whatever needed or devise a piece of equipment to use.

In the picture is the bottom portion of an old woodstove. I was able to find a stone piece large enough to lay across the open part of this stand to make a patio table."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2010 :  4:32:42 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Build It Green badge.

"After researching some websites on "Going Green" for home decor I realized that much of what we do and have done for most of our married life has always been "green" conscious.

We have always been mindful of what we have used in our home because of our desire to be frugal, care for the environment and reduce the "junk" in our environment.

Things that we can do more of is make a plan for anything that will need to be replaced, such as carpet, etc.

Because we lost our house in a fire in July of 1994 and we immediately rebuilt we are not looking at needing to replace anything in the very near future.

We have been careful with our home and the way we decorate and live in it."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 525 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page