Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16266 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16266 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2010 :  4:29:08 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth (Carrie M, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Nellie Will-do badge.

"So, Farm Fair required some new clothes...5 skirts, a dress, purse covers to match everything, and some gifts for special people who made this dream come true! I had a wonderful time and was so comfy-even on my first ever flight-in the clothes I'd made.

If that wasn't enough “Will-do” for one year, I also bought a 1970 Tag-A-Long camper in April of 2009. It needed a full overhaul, so I found some sturdy fabric and made new seats for the table area, new cushions for the bed area, and then decided to piece together some curtains with a quilted look.

Then, Christmas was marching closer so I stitched up pj pants for my husband and three sons (one son has upside down moose on his pants because I didn't realize that the print went only one way....ooops!). I made a quilted pocketbook for my youngest daughter and an apron for my eldest daughter (photo below)."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16266 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16266 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2010 :  4:36:28 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth (Carrie M, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an expert level Nellie Will-do badge.

"My 2010 Will-Do projects included making costumes and props for our theater group's productions of “MacBeth” and “It's a Scream”--both shows were a treat! For the second show I had to create a monster from a foam torso—quite a challenge! I made hoods for bandits, a fake heart in a jar, a brain, and other miscellaneous items. This is my favorite kind of creativity!!

I also made costumes for my two son's spring Concert with the Adirondack Repertory Dance Theater. This included adding trims to some of the ballerina's costumes and making shirts for my sons “from scratch” to match the girls costumes. One of the costumes I was thrilled to makewas a Poet's Shirts for each which, as you can see in the photo, looked so handsome on them.

Then I took some fabric that had been given to me and did a “Bag-Sew-In” with my farmgirl chapter. We made cloth “grocery” bags for ourselves and I made several extras because I'd caught the bug and couldn't stop...they were so EASY!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16266 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16266 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2010 :  4:41:49 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth (Carrie M, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Nellie Make-do badge.

"For the beginner level of this badge I took a bag full of old jeans that I had been saving and I tore and cut them for different projects. The first denim item I made was a “chenille” rug which involved making three rectangles from squares of denim sewn together, then layered one on top of the other. I then quilted through all three layers and “sawed” between the quilted lines with a rotary cutter through just the top layer to make a “chenille” surface. I also made a pin cushion out of a jeans pocket. This is proudly displayed on a shelf in my sewing room! I also repaired the seat of a fabric covered chair by taking apart a matching pillow and whip-stitching the pieces to the seat for a new cover. Then, to finish the 25 hour requirement, I made a garden apron (pattern in “You Grow Girl”) out of upholstery scraps and inherited rick-rack (thanks, Mom!).

I love all my new projects!!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16266 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16266 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2010 :  4:46:46 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth (Carrie M, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Nellie Make-do badge.

"For the intermediate level of this badge I took apart a purple shawl that I had and knitted the yarn into hats. The shawl was made with four skeins of homespun yarn, two strands held together, so the yarn was difficult to separate. I rolled the yarn into two balls, one a dark purple and the other a slightly lighter purple with some blue and dk green streaks. From the two balls I was able to knit 10 hats in different sizes, ranging from infant to youth. I had to resort to using some white yarn that I had on hand to finish up the last bit of purple. I am keeping one hat for myself (it matches a sweater I made last year) and the rest of them will be sent to a Family Crisis center near me."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16266 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16266 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2010 :  4:50:16 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth (Carrie M, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an expert level Nellie Make-do badge.

"For the expert level of this badge, I used up my drawer full of fabric scraps, along with the scraps of a friend, to make two quilts. One is a log cabin with sampler squares around it. It has a sheet for the backing and an old ragged blanket inside in place of batting. I hand quilted all the sampler squares and tied the log cabin center. The second quilt is made from autumn colors and the pattern is called “Buckeye Beauty”. The blocks are full of small pieces and because I was using scraps, it took long time to piece together. I used another old sheet for the back and had to applique fabric leaves onto the back to cover moth holes. It looks like leaves are falling down the back of the quilt!

I love both of my scrap quilts, even though they are not contest quality. Lovely memories fill my heart as I pick out the fabrics that were once dresses that my girls wore or pajama pants made for my boys. I usually give away the things I make, but these two precious quilts I keep in my camper where my family can be close to me no matter where I may roam!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16266 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16266 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2010 :  11:41:57 AM  Show Profile
Rusty McHale (Rusty, #1572) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a intermediate level Know Your Food badge.

"We have been eating organic for quite a while now but unfortunately we do not have any CSA's that are local. We are feasting on blueberries and cream in the evenings instead of cake or ice cream. We removed anything with High Fructose Corn Syrup ages ago. Bad stuff....
"Omnivore's Dilemma" is a great book and it really gets you to want to eat more fruits and vegetables.

This is an ongoing work in progress but we feel we are on the right track health wise."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16266 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16266 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2010 :  11:48:03 AM  Show Profile
Rusty McHale (Rusty, #1572) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a intermediate level Pay It Forward badge.

"My neighbors probably think I'm nuts but I went around and collected boxes of canned good, bags of rice and beans, and boxes of noodles for La Bodega which is our food pantry for NMSU starving students. They were very generous.

We collected well over 100 items for this food drive."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16266 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16266 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2010 :  11:55:37 AM  Show Profile
Rose Lynn (christmasgal, #1486) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level The Secret Life of Bees badge.

"I watched the trailer movie at vanishingbees.com, and checked out at the library the audio book of "The Secret Life of Bees," and planted bee friendly flowers of bachelor button, love in a mist, sweet-peas, poppies, and sunflowers.

I have a whole new view on the honeybee and will always respect them from now on and I will always plant bee friendly flowers in my flower beds. The book on audio was a wonderful way to "read the book," so descriptive."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16266 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16266 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2010 :  12:10:39 PM  Show Profile
Rusty McHale (Rusty, #1572) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Bustin' Out badge.

"We have been eating organic for quite a while now but it is amazing the variety of organic food you can find at your local co-op. We are expanding our horizons each time we go shopping.

We are feeling that we are helping our local farmers and also helping ourselves to stay healthy."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16266 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16266 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2010 :  12:18:45 PM  Show Profile
Lisa Birkner (Lisa Marie, #1196) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"Reading the requirements for this spurred me to gather from all corners the buttons in my home. Dresser drawers, closets, storage area, clipped a few from clothes headed to rags and trash. Collected them all into my old sewing basket. Haven't used it in years.

What fun!! I now have over 100 buttons all in one place and ready to be used. I think some may have been my Grandmothers, I'll check with Mom.
Thank you for giving me the goal."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16266 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16266 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2010 :  12:26:12 PM  Show Profile
Lisa Birkner (Lisa Marie, #1196) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I already had some bags, so for this project I ordered a new set of five that includes two bags that zip close and have a light insulated lining. Collected two more at a solar powered outdoor concert. Now have bags everywhere.

Adding the new bags really helped. Some are always in the car now and I have started taking them into all stores, Target, drug stores and the like. The insulation is fabulous here in Florida. Heat index has been around 110, the groceries still make it home cool."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16266 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16266 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2010 :  12:40:09 PM  Show Profile
Cynthia Christen (Lineshack Farmgirl, #1570) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew wonderful badge.

"Well I used the mason jar idea, I had some cushon foam laying around so I used that to make the pin cushon for the top of the jar. I cut a circle to match the top of the jar cut it out then shaved it into a dome shape and covered with fabric. On the inside when I secured the fabric I also added an old abalone shell button as an accent, inside I put a pair of scissors, measuring tape, thread for different colors, thimble, buttons, safety pins, and some old vintage embroidery thread.

I feel that this turned out very well.
I plan to give this to my daughter for her birthday.
The Abalone shell button will really thrill her she is just crazy for buttons. And that shell was one of the buttons from my Great-Grandmas button book that was pasted down to me, so that will really mean alot to her.
This was really a lot of fun to put together."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16266 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16266 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2010 :  1:43:55 PM  Show Profile
Theresa Atkinson (atkinst2, #1632) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level What's Your Beef? badge.

"I went to eatwild.com and did the research on grass-fed vs corporately raised and wrote down what I learned and how it has changed my mind about the meat I eat.

Grass Fed vs. Corporately Raised

Having been raised on a horse ranch in Utah my family always preferred “natural” meat. Whether it came from the wild or the farmer down the lane. Not that I knew about the unnatural diets and drugs given to the meat bought in the store I’ve always preferred it for the taste and quality.

The research I have done on this process just fortifies my desire for “wild” or “grass-fed.” We as humans are given way to many antibiotics and chemicals in our food. I was also not aware that animals raised on pasture had more vitamins. It is no wonder that people today are more unhealthy than in my mother’s day or for that matter, my grandparents day. They ate food that they grew. Vegetables from the garden, pigs from the farm. My grandparents lived to nearly 100 and my mother is 83 and going strong.

This research will not change my mind about the meat I eat as I buy my eggs from a friend that has free range chicken, my beef (when I buy beef) from a friend that raises grass fed cattle, and hunt for my own wild game.

I will however, try to find a place to purchase milk products.

It was very interesting. I have found a local dairy farmer that sells raw milk in my area."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16266 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16266 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2010 :  1:56:58 PM  Show Profile
Cynthia Christen (Lineshack Farmgirl, #1570) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Buttoned Up badge.

"I made a necklace out of small assorted white buttons from my old button tin. I matched the size of the white shade buttons, put them on strong string, added some blue bead, and used fishing fasteners for the clasp.

I think it looks like a pouka shell necklace, it makes me remember the old days.
So I would say it turned out just fine."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16266 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16266 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2010 :  2:11:27 PM  Show Profile
Ruby Slider (narjay, #1663) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"I went around the house gathering buttons, from the bottom of jewerly boxes, sewing kits, and 'retired' workshirts, all over the house. I had no idea I had so many.

Good variety now I need to learn how to make jewelry out of them."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16266 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16266 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2010 :  2:21:23 PM  Show Profile
Robin Armstrong Miller (birdie71, #1301) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Going Green badge.

"I have replaced the "ungreen" cleaners in our house with either homemade or purchased "green" cleaners.
The mission statement for our home is that we will choose cleaners, whether homemade or store bought, that are safer for our family and for our environment.
I have collected recipes for cleaning and for personal health from online and from Mary Jane's magazines and gathered them into a section in my Farmgirl Sisterhood binder. This section is titled Green Cleaning.
I have started sharing these recipes with friends at work and in other groups I'm involved in.

I have really enjoyed doing this! I enjoy learning new things and especially learning things that make life better!
This has not only been better for my family, but also for my classroom. I choose to use green cleaners in my classroom, as well as, teaching my students how to use more green.
I also have had issues with my skin blistering and peeling off with "ungreen" cleaners and since I've started using these recipes, I have not had any problems."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16266 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16266 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2010 :  2:35:26 PM  Show Profile
Robin Armstrong Miller (birdie71, #1301) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Families Forever badge.

"My family and I have been playing Dungeons and Dragons for the past year and a half. It started as just the four of us and then we have invited a couple close friends to join in. Since the kids are my stepchildren we have them both every other weekend. That is the time when we would play. It has become quite the ritual! We always have our favorite drinks and snack with us. We are amateurs at this game but it doesn't really matter...we're having a good time together with something that we all like!
My husband and I recently started playing different card games and we all have our favorite word games such as crosswords, wordsearches, and Sudoku. We actually do help each other on those, too.
Our most recent reading aloud to each other has been The Garden Guy. It's a month by month guide to gardening in the desert (rather appropriate since we began our first garden this spring with that book).

What I truly enjoy about playing games...and playing more...is the interaction that we have with one another. We don't get to spend every weekend together and now the oldest is going off to college. So it is such a precious time for us to interact. When the tv is on, that doesn't happen. As the kids are growing and "leaving the nest", my husband and I are learning to have fun together no matter what."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16266 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16266 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2010 :  2:46:10 PM  Show Profile
Rose Lynn (christmasgal, #1486) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level What's Your Beef? badge.

"I got onto eatwild.com and researched the difference between grass fed beef and corporately raised beef.

This has completely changed my mind about the kind of meat I eat. Grass fed beef has less total fat, less calories, has more vitamin e, c, and beta-carotene. It's not treated with hormones, or growth promoting additives. They're not fed soy or other supplements but left to graze and not confined. Corporately raised beef are raised in confinement, given hormones, antibiotics, and other drugs. Their main feed is genetically modified grain and soy and also may contain "by-product feedstuff" such as municipal garbage, stale pastries, chicken feathers, and candy. Some of their feed has been shipped from distant fields that have been treated with pesticides and fertilizers, and to cut the costs, some beef feedlots feed their beef chicken manure for protein. This has forever changed how I look at meat prodcts and will only seek out grass fed meat. Thank you so much MaryJane for opening my eyes."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16266 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16266 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2010 :  2:53:24 PM  Show Profile
Robin Armstrong Miller (birdie71, #1301) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Gratitude badge.

"I wrote a gratitude journal for the month of May. I have actually already been journaling but for this badge, I included something to be grateful for each day.

I love doing this. In this world, is so easy to find what is wrong or what is missing. However, there are so many things that I have that others don't...I have no choice but to be grateful. I am going to continue to notice at least one thing to be grateful for everyday."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16266 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16266 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2010 :  2:57:37 PM  Show Profile
Rose Lynn (christmasgal, #1486) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Pay It Forward badge.

"I figured out how much I spent per meal, skipped a meal and donated it to a food bank."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16266 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16266 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2010 :  3:01:55 PM  Show Profile
Rose Lynn (christmasgal, #1486) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Bustin' Out badge.

"I tried an organic food each week for a month, I ate cauliflower, broccoli, rhubarb, and carrots and will continue to do so, they tasted so much better and fresher."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16266 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16266 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2010 :  3:07:12 PM  Show Profile
Rose Lynn (christmasgal, #1486) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Bee Good to Your Mother Earth badge.

"I read "Montrose: Life in a Garden," did research on pest control and I'm growing green beans, tomatoes, and lemon thyme.

I love the book, it is so descriptive and the drawings were beautiful. This families life is this garden. I enjoyed the details given about all the people they know, and all the pets and wild animals, it was like I was really there. I have done research on pest control and will love to try out a few if needed and I'm growing green beans, tomatoes, and lemon thyme."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16266 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16266 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2010 :  3:19:42 PM  Show Profile
Robin Armstrong Miller (birdie71, #1301) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Horse Dreams badge.

"My "horse dreams" began as a little girl. It first began with Flicka. She was the first horse that I learned to ride on and actually got most of my training on as a child. She was part Arabian. The next horse I had lessons with was Cyton (see-ton). He was also part Arabian. I also had lessons on Painthorse. She was named for obvious reasons...she was a paint. All three of these horses belonged to my aunt, who also gave me riding lessons. I spent a great deal of time with these horses. In fact, while I was in middle school, my aunt let me keep Cyton and care for him. Although, I love the morning, I am not a morning person and getting up in the middle of the winter early in the morning to care for my friend was quite the task!
Since I have moved to the city and into my current home and neighborhood, I have made a couple friends down the street. We live in an area with about 3 acres for the lots. Many of our neighbors have animals of different sorts. One house that I periodically walk by and have become acquaintances with has five horses. One of the horses this family got about two years ago, he's a mustang, and she's tamed him. I remember the day she brought him home, "Oh what an amazing horse!" I thought. He's a big boy and he is powerful looking, but what a sweetheart! When I walk by there, I always visit with Beau!

It has rekindled some memories of what I used to do and has stirred up a love of mine!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16266 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16266 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2010 :  3:33:30 PM  Show Profile
Robin Armstrong Miller (birdie71, #1301) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge.

"When I was a child, I helped my mom and dad raise chickens, ducks, rabbits, and goats. We fed them feed from the local feed store. I remember the rides there and being able to see all the new chicks for sale there. The chickens and ducks provided us with plenty of delicious eggs. We even butchered some of them, as well as the rabbits we raised. My parents taught me how to butcher these animals...despite not liking to watch it much! They did teach me and if I had to I could do it!

I appreciate that my parents raised me with this know how! If I could and had the land to do this again, I would. I miss having the fresh eggs! I did recently find a neighbor who is selling fresh eggs!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16266 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16266 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2010 :  3:38:47 PM  Show Profile
Rose Lynn (christmasgal, #1486) has received a certificate of achievement in Out Post for earning a beginner level 'Out There' Women badge.

"I have purchased a survival kit and have done research on 10 different plants native to Oregon. I feel prepared now when going for a walk in the woods. I will enter the native plant information on the chat room across the fence."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page