Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2010 :  3:03:06 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth (Carrie M, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an expert level In The Garden badge.

"I made a garden gate to replace the broken gate that we previously had on our garden. I made the square frame out of 1x4's I salvaged from the picket fence we are taking down. Then I used some of the best pickets to cover across the front. I used a level and placed each one 3cm apart. This will keep bunnies out of my carrots!
I also made a cold frame, but alas, it did not work as I liked. I used bales of hay around the outside and some large pieces of plexiglass that used to be storm windows in our house. I filled it with compost and soil and loose hay, along with torn newspaper. In retrospect, I realize that I should have filled it with plants instead of trying to start seeds in it, since it was late in the year and too cold for germination. I also needed to be a little more attentive to the watering needs, since rain could not permeate the plexiglass. I did get some lettuce and a few beets from the frame, so it was not a total bust. I plan to try a different structure next time."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2010 :  3:47:15 PM  Show Profile
Jeanne Mutziger (supernaynay, #1883) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge.

"My very messy sewing box was a gift from my husband, along with my sewing machine, back in 1989 for Christmas... I have been a sewing fool ever since.

After I got the actual sewing box, I gathered my supplies from my local Ben Franklin's store and filled it up with pins, spools of thread, patterns, and all things needed for sewing... I use it to this day, at least once a week if not more!

The photo is of my home made pinkeeper that I made over the weekend."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2010 :  3:57:26 PM  Show Profile
Jeanne Mutziger (supernaynay, #1883) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Sew Wonderful badge.

"I have mastered a bunch of stitches - straight, blanket, zigzag... you name it, I have probably sewn it! I have even darned a sock or two, and used to make my own doll clothes at 8 years old :) I made some very easy skirts yesterday, and they are really cute! I made them drawstring, using extra shoelaces that my son didn't want (for some reason skater shoes come with a lot of extra shoelaces!) - and I didn't use a pattern; I used a yard of fabric, less 9" from each half, and some cotton lace :) and, the fabric was half off at Beverly's-bonus!

Well, I think they turned out pretty darn good!!! Here is a picture of two of them... one of which I wore today out in my organic garden all day to keep cool in the summer heat!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2010 :  4:27:21 PM  Show Profile
Vickie Hill (vintagevickie, #252) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Knitting badge.

"I wanted to knit and then felt a purse. I tried several until I finally got one the right size after felting.
I knitted the purse, strap and all using several yarns. Then put in the washer on hot to felt.

I think it turned out lovely. The felting makes it so you won't have to line it."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2010 :  4:33:52 PM  Show Profile
Vickie Hill (vintagevickie, #252) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Knitting badge.

"I saw a picture in a magazine of a granny type knitted afghan. I found some earthy wool colors and knitted large squares. I put the squares together with some extra yarn and large embroidery needle.

It is beautiful and is very warm on a cold day."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2010 :  09:46:32 AM  Show Profile
Amy Furrer (#874) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Community Service badge.

"We have a local free clothes closet called Mountain Wear. When we contacted the woman in charge we discovered that she had been doing everything on her own and was overwhelmed with the amount of sorting that needed to be done. So our Farmgirl chapter commited to spending one Friday a month just sorting and hanging all of the donated clothes. Our first Friday sort we spent 6 hours sorting through a mountain of clothes. It was amazing how much fun we had!

It was an incredible experience and we plan on staying involved as an ongoing part of our sisterhood chapter. It's especially rewarding for me as I work at a local school and many times see some of my students wearing clothes I sorted."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2010 :  09:56:24 AM  Show Profile
Amy Furrer (#874) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Bee Good to Your Mother Earth badge.

"My family and I put in a raised veggie and herb garden and then planted bird and bee friendly flowers below.

It's incredible!!!! We are soooo enjoying all the wildlife! We witnessed a ladybug laying eggs, leaf cutter bees, and lots of hummingbirds just hanging out. We are also enjoying the daily fresh veggies and flowers."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2010 :  10:04:37 AM  Show Profile
Amy Furrer (#874) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Embroidery badge.

"I got help for a dear friend after trying it on my own. The book gives great instructions but it helped a bit to have someone demonstrate.

It turned out great. I am really happy with what I made and I am going to try for the next level of the badge right away."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2010 :  10:14:22 AM  Show Profile
Nicole Christensen (texdane, #1155) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Knitting badge.

"For my intermediate knitting badge, the last few months, Spring into Summer, I have completed the following projects: a large striped dishrag in red, white and blue knitted in moss stitch, an extra-long dress scarf for my husband in basket-weave pattern, and a knitted drawstring evening bag for my highschool reunion in black, knitted on circular needles. In addition to these projects, I also taught several more people to knit, including my own daughter, and taught a fifteen hour knitting "summer camp" for my town's Parks and Recreation department.

Knitting is good for the soul! Keeps me grounded, focused, and happy."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2010 :  10:26:50 AM  Show Profile
Kim McIntyre Wiley (GrassFarmer, #936) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Crochet badge.

"I learned some basic stitches about 6 years ago but never kept up with it. I relearned this year to crochet and tried all the different stitches. I made a dishcloth for this badge. The one pictured is actually the second I made for this application as the first was not very good (sides were uneven and lots of stitching mistakes). So this project took me over 8 hours. I alternated double and half double crochet for this yellow dishcloth.

The 2nd (yellow) dishcloth turned out much better than my first (red) one. I paid better attention to my tension and quality of stitches."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2010 :  10:34:27 AM  Show Profile
Kim McIntyre Wiley (GrassFarmer, #936) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"I began a button collection. I went through all my old rags most of which are my husbands old farm work clothes. Went through old rags in the barn, scavenged through my junk drawers and my mother and mother-in-laws house for buttons.

It was quite fun to go on this treasure hunt. It was great to "harvest" these buttons from my husband's old clothes as well as collect some buttons from my long-past relatives via my mom and mother in law. I came up with over 50 buttons."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2010 :  10:42:15 AM  Show Profile
Kim McIntyre Wiley (GrassFarmer, #936) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Buttoned Up badge.

"From my collected buttons, I was able to find some red buttons from an old coat (red is my favorite color). I had some elastic string that I had saved from a pair of shoes I bought (that keeps the pair together in the store). So I strung the red buttons with the elastic string. Once strung, I sewed white buttons on top of the red buttons. On top of each white button, I strung a green bead saved from one of my broken necklaces.

Great! The green bead on top of the white button strikes a nice contrast with the red as well as hide my stitches that hold the two different buttons together. And I love how it looks and wear it all the time!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2010 :  10:48:04 AM  Show Profile
Kim McIntyre Wiley (GrassFarmer, #936) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Going Green badge.

"I got rid of all of my non green cleaners throughout the house. We made a pledge in our household to only use green cleaners. I made all my cleaners for the house using the recipes in the Aug/Sept.'09 issue of "MaryJanesFarm."

Learning to use the cleaners I made myself was different and took a little bit of time to get used to. I ended up modifying some of the cleaner recipes mainly omitting powdered borax from the all purpose cleaner (in a bottle) as it clogged my spray nozzle.
I shared my "green journal" ideas with one of the girls who helps me clean my house monthly (showed her my original) as she is learning how to be more "green." She even switched over to using all natural cleaning agents."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2010 :  10:55:23 AM  Show Profile
Hollie Thomas (cowlady40, #1710) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge.

"For the past 3 years I have been raising my own chickens and I still get excited when the baby chicks hatch out. I love to look out my back window and see my chickens in the back yard.

Farm fresh eggs are so much better then eggs from the super market. I know what my chickens are eating and I know the eggs will be great!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2010 :  11:08:22 AM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth (Carrie M, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an expert level Tatting badge.

"I have finally finished my expert level project in tatting! I decided to make a snowflake out of #10 thread because that is something that I had a pattern for. This project was very difficult for me at first because it kept twisting, and I was getting confused as to which side was the front and which was the back. I also kept making mistakes because the difficulty level was higher than projects I have previously done, and I had to keep paying attention to which of my picots had to be joined to picots of previously stitched rings. There were many spots that I had to take my stitches out, but some spots I was unable to backtrack (tatting is more difficult to undo than crochet or knitting!) so I have some noticeable mistakes in my snowflake. My finished project is not County Fair worthy, but I have framed it and enjoy looking at it."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2010 :  11:17:26 AM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth (Carrie M, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Farmgirl Legends for earning the Schoolmarm Stitching & Crafting badge.
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2010 :  11:57:59 AM  Show Profile
Christy Harrill (MerryHeartSister, #1951) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"My boys helped me gather six bags. I had crocheted one bag out of plarn. The other bags had been used for activity or craft projects.

I have to keep my craft projects from taking over all my bags. I have added a craft space to my bedroom so that I have no excuse for not putting away my tools and supplies when I finish a project."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2010 :  12:06:37 PM  Show Profile
Christy Harrill (MerryHeartSister, #1951) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Crochet badge.

"I crocheted a "Plarn" tote bag. It took about 7 hours to complete.

I also helped teach my niece to crochet. She has practiced chain, single and half double. But mostly she's content to make necklaces and bracelets to wear."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2010 :  12:16:32 PM  Show Profile
Christy Harrill (MerryHeartSister, #1951) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Crochet badge.

"I found this pattern at Hobby Lobby. It took about 30 hours to complete.

I'm looking forward to cool weather so I can wear it. I am thrilled that I used a yarn that will match so many different colors in my wardrobe."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2010 :  12:24:21 PM  Show Profile
Christy Harrill (MerryHeartSister, #1951) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level What's Your Beef? badge.

"I said, “Oh, gross!” several times while reading from this site. You know that things are bad in our food system but some of the things like rinsing carcasses in chlorinated water, you just have to wonder who in their right mind would come up with something like that.
I had planned on hunting last year but I got pregnant in August and that plan was thwarted. This year, I hope to get two or three deer to stock our freezer. My husband is willing to learn to hunt so maybe this will be a successful winter.
I'm also thankful that I have eliminated a lot of meat from my diet. We buy a case of portabella mushrooms every 2 weeks or so. I noticed when I was pregnant that my heart would not race when I had not eaten meat. If I ate any meat, my heart rate was 108 or higher when my normal heart rate is 68. I found a portabella mushroom growing kit on an organic website that will be available for sale September 1st. We might have to try that.

I know of two farms within an hour of our home that sell organic meat. It's expensive! I think I'll keep track of exactly how much meat we eat and see exactly how much it would cost to eat organically."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2010 :  1:29:16 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a intermediate level Green Energy badge.

"Budgeting and keeping track of expenses has been a "marriage-long" practice. We are CONSTANTLY looking for ways to reduce expenses and we are always watching our energy expenses. So, it is something I (we) have done for almost 42 years.

But we have become even more mindful as of late with economy issues, energy rate increases, gas for vehicles, etc.

I work 1/2 mile from my house and I only drive that 3 days a week, as I work 12 hr. shifts. I travel to town for errands and shopping no more than 2 times/weekly which is 10-12 miles round trip. My husband is self-employed and works on the property in his shop and his trips to town are minimal as well.

Some time ago we started turning off all the peripherals for our computer system, entertainment, anything we can to reduce electrial usage. Our home and my husband's shop are all electric. He has a woodstove for heating the shop in the winter and we use a wood pellet stove to heat the house.

We did some plumbing repairs and upgrades to reduce the water usage. I learned as a child to be careful with water because my dad had to haul it from town. My hubby and I had to haul water for several years while we lived in the Arizona desert. Those habits are deeply instilled and we know how to use "gray" water.

We also changed out ALL our light bulbs for the newly developed energy efficient bulbs and we have noticed a difference in our electric bill.

We have seen a reduction in our water bill to less than half of what it was. We have seen a reduction in our electric bill from what it was before changing bulbs and making extra effort to turn off peripherals.

When we run the pellet stove for heat, we shut it down when it's warm enough from the sun to do so."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2010 :  1:37:19 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Know Your Food badge.

"Becoming more aware of what I ate was something I started while I was in high school and looking to going to college.
So, I have been a careful eater for most of my life. That has resulted in weight loss then and the ability to keep it off for a LONG time.

As I have gotten older with changes that come with getting older I have had to revisit this practice and make some adjustments to make sure that I continue to eat as I need to and what I need to. I have also become more aware of WHERE things are grown and the practices used for growing these items.

I have, for most of my life, been known as the "Salad Queen" . . . vegetables and fruits have been a HUGE part of my diet all my life. I try new things as I can and try new recipes using raw/fresh produce.

We have eliminated all the junk and unhealthy food/cooking products from our diet. My husband is an excellent cook and he is very careful to use healthy products.

I read "Animal,Vegetable, Miracle" and found it to be interesting. Creatively written with honest language with colorful descriptions of their life, quest to eat local, their farm, environment, lifestyle and culture.

Our daughter has been the first person to help carry all these habits into her married life . . in the city where it is more difficult for her to raise a garden. But she has been making lots of changes.

We will continue our habits of growing, knowing and enjoying the "good stuff" . . they are LIFELONG!!

I am a "sprout farmer" . . I started with sunflower seeds . . . ate them before I got a picture. But am trying beans and other interesting possibilities."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2010 :  12:17:08 PM  Show Profile
Jessie Yonkovit (JessieMae, #134) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Crochet badge.

"On the LONG drive from our home in Michigan to our vacation destination in Florida, I taught myself to crochet using an adaptation of the Farmgirl Rag Scarf from MaryJane’s Stitching Room and Moda Dea Curious yarn in Cognac (the Schulana Zigane yarn called for in the book is no longer manufactured).

I made my scarf thinner than the one from the book because I wanted to wear it like a scarf in the summertime. It is over ten feet long...and is really TOO long. But the "raggedy" texture of the yarn hides a multitude of sins, and the scarf looks great."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2010 :  12:24:40 PM  Show Profile
Jessie Yonkovit (JessieMae, #134) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Nellie Make-do badge.

"I had a lot of leftover yo-yos after completing the yo-yo basket pillow from MaryJane’s Stitching Room, so I sorted them into complementary color combinations and stitched them to a piece of muslin left over from my MJF membership badge. I backed the pillow with an old piece of red and white plaid fabric I bought to make a Bible cover. Then I stuffed the pillow with plastic grocery sacks.

I really like it! I was surprised how well the grocery sacks worked instead of fiber fluff. The pillow feels quite heavy and firm, and the rustling isn’t as loud as I thought it would be."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2010 :  10:21:52 AM  Show Profile
Megan Salter (HondaRebelGirl, #1383) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Quilting badge.

"Because my Mom and Aunt are both quilters, I’ve done a little bit of each stage of quilting – my favorite is piecing! However, I had never completed a project start to finish and wanted to start with something very small – something not even a quilt as a matter of fact! I made a quilted purse from a pattern my Aunt gave me for Christmas. I’m pretty sure this counts as “quilting” because I had to cut each piece, piece them together, line it, create a binding, and quilt the piece. The only part of quilting I had never done by myself before was the binding – but now I’m confident that I could bind a full-size quilt. It’s not that difficult, after all! This took me somewhere between eight and ten hours over a weekend.

I was really impressed with it; the photo doesn’t do it justice. The rich blue and green jewel tones just don’t come across digitally. The best part was creating my own stitching pattern using an old salt shaker and small dish. I’m ready to move on to a larger project now!"

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page