Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2010 :  3:55:47 PM  Show Profile
Lindsey Kirby (AmeliaLin, #1998) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Bustin' Out badge.

"In an effort to boost my intake of protein a friend of mine suggested substituting organic greek yogurt for sour cream. Our household made the change just after Easter and we have not yet turned back. It is yummy stuff.

We also made the decision to drink only organic milk, in an effort to "get local." We stopped buying organic milk at the store and are now getting fresh milk weekly from our neighbors, we love it!

It was a bit challenging trying to convince my children and husband that the greek yogurt would taste good on baked sweet potatoes, but they liked it. Now the kids love organic greek yogurt as a healthy snack!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2010 :  4:02:01 PM  Show Profile
Lindsey Kirby (AmeliaLin, #1998) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a intermediate level Get It Together badge.

"If there is one room in the house that I feel totally at peace, it is my kitchen. I was however missing a few things.

Sifter
Pitter
Gallon Jars for storing Flour, and Sugar

Instead of shopping for these items I acquired them from my husband's grandmother!

I also had some pot and pans that I have had since college, I was able to donate them to our local thrift store.

It is so special to me to have had these items handed down to me and knowing that they were put to good use for many years before me."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2010 :  4:06:50 PM  Show Profile
Lindsey Kirby (AmeliaLin, #1998) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an expert level Get It Together badge.

"Give them to my husband!! Just kidding, but sometimes if I am in the middle of cooking, I do ask him to help. He has shown me how to sharpen using a traditional sharpening steel, however I prefer using the chef's choice knife sharpener when I have not been a good steward of this task.

I have discovered that the electric sharpener stays on the shelf if I sharpen with the steel for a quick edge. A good rule of thumb is to keep my knives sharp enough to cut a piece of typing paper."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2010 :  4:12:15 PM  Show Profile
Lindsey Kirby (AmeliaLin, #1998) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Bee Good to Your Mother Earth badge.

"Plowed under the old lawn and put in a garden. I got a seed catalog and planned out a garden, using the farmers almanac to plant things together that would benefit each other.

Great, boy we love our beets and tomatoes!

I wish I had a photo on my computer of the first garden I did.
My first garden turned out great, new dirt meant little weeding."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2010 :  4:17:55 PM  Show Profile
Lindsey Kirby (AmeliaLin, #1998) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge.

"I have always favored farm fresh eggs over those purchased from the store. Toast never tasted better than with an orange yolk.

We pay 1.50 per 18 eggs, it is way more economical than buying, cage free, vegetarian fed, organic eggs.

The best part is we know what the hens are being fed, where they live, and that the rooster is NOT nice!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2010 :  4:27:50 PM  Show Profile
Lindsey Kirby (AmeliaLin, #1998) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a intermediate level Backyard Farmer badge.

"When we started getting fresh milk from our neighbor, I never imagined that I would learn how to milk. This past week our 5 year old son asked if he could go and learn how to milk. Of course you can learn. My husband milked the family cow until he was 23. It turned out to be a family affair.

It was a great experience, helping get the cows into the milking stalls and then watching our son have a go at milking. I even stepped in and took a turn! I did not get a thick layer of foam in the bucket, but with some practice, I may have a chance at rookie milker of the month!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2010 :  4:34:21 PM  Show Profile
Christy Harrill (Merry Heart Sister, #1951) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level The Secret Life of Bees badge.

"I have experienced some of the subject of "Vanishing Bees," first hand from my grandparents. They lost their bees to Varroa mites. I researched if that was considered one of the causes of colony collapse. It may be a contributing factor but not the only reason. I was excited to find all the different ways to prevent mites using natural methods like essential oils.
I try to keep things blooming as much of the time as possible. My garden starts with hyacinth and crocus. Shasta daisies have reproduced mightily and I have hundreds of blooms every spring. Mid summer brings torch lilies that attract butterflies, hummingbirds and bees. Late summer is time for the hostas. We allow the honeysuckle to bloom in the edges of the woods. Blueberry bushes are also great for bees and we plan to transplant more bushes this fall. I am going to put some water sources for bees throughout the garden with the help of the children.
The Secret Life of Bees was interesting. I like the instructions about dealing with bees that August gave Lily.

I have to say that I'm disappointed that native bees aren't getting as much attention. It's much harder to raise awareness about an insect that doesn't give tangible benefits in honey. Honey bees are not native to America. Our native pollinators are wasps, sweat bees, bumble bees and mason bees to mention only a few. I allow mason bees to bore holes in my potting shed. I want to get a chunk of wood to drill holes in to provide more homes for these bees. There is a lot of information at (http://www.orchardbees.com/)."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2010 :  4:44:49 PM  Show Profile
Ruby Slider (narjay, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Bustin' Out badge.

"The past couple of years I have planted a garden and/or purchased from friends and the local farmers market items, which include produce, eggs, milk and meats. When shopping at the grocery store I no longer buy prepackaged ‘fake’ foods and I recently started making sure everything I do buy is organic. I also make my own cheese and yogurt.

The transition was a very easy one for me. I think it is an excellent step towards better health."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2010 :  3:30:07 PM  Show Profile
Starletta Schipp (star-schipp, #1927) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Know Your Food badge.

"I wasn't sure what this badge was really about when I started keeping my food journal but after reading "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" I was shocked about how little I had paid attention to where the food I was eating and feeding my family really came from and how much energy was wasted transporting that food to me. I have made the choice now to eat in season as much as possible and to know where my food is coming from. I now grow my own sprouts too and love them so fresh! It was easy to give up artificial sweetners but harder to give up hydrogenated oils but when I committed to offering fresh fruit instead of store-bought desserts, it got easier. I now make sure that there is at least one fresh fruit and/or vegetable at every meal and snack. I was thrilled that my son actually chose an apple for a snack last night and it was one right off our very own tree--not sure of the variety since the tree was here when we bought the place but I sure know where that apple came from! Thank you, so much, for opening my eyes and helping me to commit to providing a healthier diet to my family and healthier for our environment too.

This has turned out so much better than I could have ever imagined. My husband especially was skeptical but when he saw our boys making healthier choices he bought in big time. It will be a challenge over the winter months but we can do it!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2010 :  3:40:31 PM  Show Profile
Ruby Slider (narjay, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Quilting badge.

"I used scrap material left over from other projects and made four mini-quilts, which I will use as place mats and/or as hot pads.

Although my corners don't match-up perfectly, I think they turned out really cute. I can’t wait to use them."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2010 :  3:52:39 PM  Show Profile
Melissa Bailey (MissLiss, #724) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Crochet badge.

"I taught myself to crochet and made my very first dishcloth.

I actually had a fellow farmgirl show me how to crochet at one of our meetings, but after leaving that meeting I couldn't figure out how to get back into it when I was home alone. So I got a book on crochet (which is great for beginners due to the *great* pictures) and went over everything again. I chose to make a dishcloth for my first project and tried to cover many of the basic stitches in the project. I learned and included single, half-double, double and triple crochet. I was going to make a scarf, but didn't like the thickness of the cotton yarn for a scarf, so I changed to a dishcloth instead. I love it and think I will get lots of use out of it!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2010 :  4:02:39 PM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson (MissLiss, #724) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a intermediate level Disconnect to Reconnect badge.

"I went camping last weekend, and had a blast!

My husband and I cooked every meal over the fire, and did not use any electricity the entire weekend. We brought a cooler full of good food, including our farm fresh eggs. We did not bring a radio either. We hiked the trails around the lake, and enjoyed the quiet. Our camp site had portable toilets and a water pump, so all hygiene and cleaning up was done in a wash pan. I read a book and wrote in a journal. I also taught my younger two children how to whistle in an acorn shell. We discovered wild ginger and many other plants on our hikes. We are already making plans for our next camping trip."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2010 :  11:57:04 AM  Show Profile
Amy Kingery (powhatan, #1765) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Community Action badge.

"I guess this would be a beginner thing. I have become frustrated with some of the federal governments stepping on states rights...so I ended up joining the tea party in Richmond Virginia. I believe everyone would be surprised to find out that most of these people are just regualr lovely people, not the way we've been painted in the media. Anyway, I signed up for a research committee. We reseach topics and then lobby for bills in our general Assembly. I have never been politically active in my life, but I feel it is important now. I am learning about lobbying too. In that work of research, I ended up volunteering to asist with sponsorship and vendors for a convention coming up here in Richmond in October. We have attained several sponsors and some VIP's to come and give speeches and information. We got several of our representatives to come and debate, and some TV pundits as well, I have learned so much from this experience, I have learned that every individual can make a difference, and that every individual matters no matter how small you think you are. Anyway, that's what I have done for this badge. Thank you for your website and can-do inspiration!!

Well, I am still actively involved, so if any of the bills get passed and the convention works out, I will let you know :) (One of our bills did pass so now it is being reviewed.)"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2010 :  12:09:17 PM  Show Profile
Amy Kingery (powhatan, #1765) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level In the Garden badge.

"I moved to Virginia from California 2 years ago. I now am lucky to have 2 1/2 acres of land, most of which is wooded. The problem is my soil is pure clay, so in the summer it is like cement. So, I am working on building some above ground boxes, but I need to fence them because the deer and rabbits eat everything up, and I don't have the funds to do that yet. I got one box built and I put it near the garage with some bars of soap around it to keep away the deer, it worked, I built a little trellis from a an old gate and some bamboo poles that I tied together with cross pieces in the middle and I planted cucumbers there, boy did I get a LOT of cucumbers. I made pickles and gave away tons and we ate a lot of cucumber and tomato salads. I also planted some green beans (small harvest) and an eggplant that I got some beautiful jewels on. I put marigolds between everthing to help with pests. I planted 2 tomatoes, and then basil and sage and oregano and tarragon, all did really well. I just put bunches of herbs on my porch to dry hung upside down, we'll see how that turns out too as I have never done any of this before.

I sort of started all of that above. I will attach a picture of my tiny garden and trellis. Hopefully next year I will have a bunch of above ground boxes built and a big garden!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2010 :  12:16:45 PM  Show Profile
Linda Stark (rhinomom2, #237) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Nellie Will-do badge.

"I learned how to make a toothbrush rug using the instructions from "Aunt Millie's Toothbrush Rug". The material I used was from scrap fabric that I purchased at a yard sale (the lady was a quilter and didn't need it any longer). I had to make 3" strips from the fabric to create the rug. No other sewing was needed except the "toothbrush tool." I even learned to connect the strips of fabric without sewing - it's hard to explain, but you do it by cutting a 1/2" strip near the end of the fabric and folding the 2 strips together and pulling the other end through. It was amazing to be able to create this rug.

WOW! I've had a number of compliments on the rug by those that have visited and seen it. I am using it on the floor, beside the bed on my husband's side. He likes it because it feels "cushy" on his feet. I love it because it has many colors and it was fun and easy to make. Can't wait to get started on the next one."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2010 :  12:32:59 PM  Show Profile
Loyce Krogel (traildancer, #1272) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Get It Together badge.

"This past weekend, I went through all my plastic containers and lids.

The ones that have no mate were taken to Salvation Army. Now I have just enough of what I use frequently."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2010 :  12:59:39 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Going Green badge.

"Funny how things go full circle in life. During the "hippie" era my hubby and I were not "died in the wool" hippies but we did embrace a lot of some of the healthier hippie habits such as using natural, non-chemical cleaning products, etc.

Then in later years we went for all the other stuff for a while. But we are back to being more careful of what we use, what we buy and how we use it, getting rid of the "icky" stuff.

You could say that we wrote our "mission statement" many years ago . . . then dug it out and updated it in the last year or so.

I have kept a journal of these changes and decisions . . what we like, what we don't like, etc. I have shared this "mission" with my daughter and her family. She actually has already earned the "Going Green" badge . . YAY!!!

Now, on to MAKING my own soaps and stuff . . . should be fun!!!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2010 :  11:57:23 AM  Show Profile
Loyce Krogel (traildancer, #1272) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Embroidery badge.

"I have known how to embroider since I was a little girl. Because of the henhouse, Hanging By A Thread, I was encouraged to get back into embroidery. I started with some very simple stitches and sewed them across one end of a tea towel that I will use to cover my sourdough. Then I sewed the rest of the stitches onto 14 count aida cloth and will applique them onto a pretty floral fabric to make a sampler stitch book.

The tea towel is lovely, if a little primitive. Anything in burgundy is lovely, I think! I used the pearl cotton instead of regular embroidery thread.

I enjoyed learning new stitches. Some of the fancy ones are not as difficult as they appear.

My dilemma now is what fabric to make the book out of and how big to make the pages!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2010 :  12:04:32 PM  Show Profile
Carol Johnson (carolj, #1823) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Gratitude badge.

"I began a gratitude journal on July 30, 2010 and have written everyday since.
Each day I required myself to write at least three things for which I am grateful.

Beginning each day by reflecting on my blessings large and small and recording them has been wonderful. I am more aware of the small things God allows in my life as "bonuses." For example the man who handed me a coupon for 25% off as I was ready to check out at Michael's (craft store). Then there was the morning not too long ago when I was reminded of the Bible verse, "In everything give thanks for this is God's will in Christ Jesus concerning you." I was able to thank God for the seizure my friend suffered because it lead doctors to find a life-threatening heart condition.

I have kept a journal for many years, but having one completely devoted to gratitude has not been something I had attempted before. I hope one day my daughter or grandchildren (if I have any) or a friend will find my gratitude journal and be amazed at how God works in the day to day.

Keeping this journal is my newest and best habit. The date finished says 8/31/2010, but I am not planning on quitting."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2010 :  12:16:38 PM  Show Profile
Melissa Bailey (MissLiss, #724) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Going Green badge.

"I have gotten rid of my "regular" cleaners, as I used them up I replaced them with green homemade cleaners. I have also started keeping a GREEN journal of all the recipes and ideas I've found on-line and in magazines (like MJF) for cleaners, soaps and beauty products.

I love keeping my journal! I think it's great that I have a place to put all those ideas and recipes that I've always seen and said that I should do that someday, but right now I have enough _____. So I lose or forget about the article and by the time I run out of whatever it was, I just go out and replace it with the same thing. Now I can just flip through my little notebook and find a recipe for laundry soap or toilet bowl cleaner! It's wonderful!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2010 :  12:24:41 PM  Show Profile
Melissa Bailey (MissLiss, #724) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a intermediate level Going Green badge.

"I am now making my own household cleaners!

I love making my own products! I especially like my laundry soap and using vinegar for everything! I've always had vinegar in the house, but never knew of all it's practical uses until now! I have also discovered many recipes for cleaners that I like much better than the ones I used to buy at the store. I have been keeping all the recipes in a journal and have made it known to my farmgirl chapter that I have collected all these recipes so anybody who wants them is welcome to take a look! I'm so in love with my cleaners I actually find myself enjoying cleaning up - and that is something VERY new to me!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2010 :  12:48:14 PM  Show Profile
Laura Woodhouse (LauraJane, #2005) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Get It Together badge.

"Well, I've been meaning to get this done all summer and I finally did it! I have officially de-cluttered and cleaned my whole kitchen. I emptied the fridge of all expired items and UFOs (Unidentified Food Objects), emptied and organized the pantry, recycled old mismatched tupperware, and donated some unused items to the thrift store.

Now, I have a fully functioning kitchen. And it feels amazing! My next step is to make a list of items that my kitchen needs. I am going to sew some cute curtains (still haven't done that after living here for 2 yrs) and maybe make a cute apron to match. I'm so excited!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2010 :  1:05:31 PM  Show Profile
AnnaLena Seemann (svenskmamma, #361) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Shutterbugs badge.

"I knew about F-stop, shutter speed, ISO, framing, rules of thirds and DOF. The new thing I learned was researching online about "leading lines". I love those photos that show the centre of a dirt road narrowing as the distance increases. I have taken many photos of my farmgirl lifestyle.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26288679@N02/
Here are 5 of the photos for you to see.

I had a lot of fun taking and selecting the photos, made me think about what being a farmgirl can be!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2010 :  1:14:50 PM  Show Profile
AnnaLena Seemann (svenskmamma, #361) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"I was given this jar of buttons from my grandmother in Sweden. She has saved them from clothes she was altering or discarding. My kids love pouring them out and looking at them. I have added to the collection when I have had extra buttons.

Great! Still collecting buttons!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2010 :  1:26:29 PM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson (FieldsofThyme, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Embroidery badge.

"I learned to embroider many years ago, but dug out my supplies to learn again. I practiced one stitch a day.

I completed my first embroidery sampler, and framed it."

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page