Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2010 :  3:21:07 PM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson (FieldsofThyme, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a intermediate level 'Out There' Women badge.

"I made homemade trail mix for our camping trip last weekend, and we cooked all parts of our meals on the campfire.

We plan to make MaryJane's pemmican recipe for the next hiking/camping trip soon. We did cook corn on the cob, by reading about it in one of the MaryJane books as well. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks were all cooked over the campfire."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2010 :  4:03:21 PM  Show Profile
Kyria Baker (Kyria, #991) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a intermediate level Entrepreneurial Spirit badge.

"I needed to pay taxes in Louisiana, since that's where the market was held. I received the paperwork I needed from the market director. Funding came from our tax refund and we operated on a strict cash basis.

I had business cards made, the chicken company provided brochures and banners with which to advertise, and we were ready!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2010 :  4:17:27 PM  Show Profile
Kyria Baker (Kyria, #991) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an expert level Entrepreneurial Spirit badge.

"Farmer's market opened on June 5 and ran until September 4. We announced it to everyone we talked to - in person, by email, on Facebook, etc. People were thrilled to find our product and business boomed in June. It slacked off in July, becoming a trickle in August as the heat became oppressive. The most difficult part was getting up at 4 a.m. and traveling an hour to get there.

However, all in all it was a success. Financially, we merely broke even, but we are considering continuing to sell to people in a food cooperative style. The farmer's market was a wonderful experience. We made new friends, both customers and other vendors. We bartered with other vendors."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2010 :  4:21:57 PM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson (FieldsofThyme, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Families Forever badge.

"We hosted a family game night on Sunday. We also read books aloud.

Our favorite family game is Apples to Apples! We also like to play Scrabble and many other games. We are already looking for more games to add to our collection. We split up and some kids play Horse-Opoly while others play another game or read."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2010 :  5:03:07 PM  Show Profile
Christy Harrill (Merry Heart Sister, #1951) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an expert level Shopping Green badge.

"I've organized two reusable bag swaps for two different homeschool associations that I belong to. We had the first one today. 5 girls participated along with my two boys. I was so impressed with their creativity. We'll have the second swap next week with the larger association so I'm hoping for a great turn out."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2010 :  10:46:58 AM  Show Profile
Jaime Dotson (#2023) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Knitting badge.

"Well, I already know how to knit a little (nothing too complex however) so, I made a cute set of booties and a hat for my friend's baby.

Really simple hat pattern. All knit in the round until you switch to 4 double pointed needles and end with an i-cord.

Then I reused a ribbon that was on a gift I recently received.

* Took about 7 hours or so. - I'm a bit slow!

Wonderful! The picture attached is of Zevin and his new hat! (Unfortunately his booties didn't make the photo shoot.)"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2010 :  11:15:07 AM  Show Profile
Mary Riensche (Red Headed Farm Girl, #1975) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level The Secret Life of Bees badge.

"I planted sunflowers, [mammoth and native California], bee-balm and nasturtiums. Last year our homeschool joined the Great Sunflower Project so I was aware of the plight of bees in general. The Vanishing Bee's trailer was very informative. It was nice to hear the different ideas about their loss.
I found the book to be easy reading but, didn't like it overall. The idea that men are idiots generally speaking is too one dimensional and untrue.

The flowers are growing despite cool, unpredictable weather.

It is refreshing to see bright yellow sunflowers smiling when I look out the window or walk in the yard."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2010 :  11:25:38 AM  Show Profile
Christine Johnson (Babynurse, #831) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Bustin' Out badge.

"For the month of July, I began trying new organic foods each week.

Week 1 was organically grown apples and applesauce that we picked up on a family outing to a local orchard.

Week 2 was a trip back to the same orchard, this time to pick up some "real" farm-fresh, organic butter, and free-range organic eggs.

Week 3 was when I ordered MJ's BakeOver mix in organic white, and MJ's heavenly organic brownie mix. :)

Week 4, I picked up some organic garlic at a local produce store to start using in my cooking. Garlic just makes everything taste better!

So far, everything has been a hit with my family and we've gone back for seconds and thirds of just about everything! We had been using Country Crock "vegetable oil spread", and are now completely converted to using "real", locally produced butter. That makes my heart happy. :)

We will definitely keep going to the orchard to obtain our apples and eggs. The kids, didn't care for the applesauce too much, but Mommy loved it, so I'll be back for more soon!

And of course my first BakeOver was so much fun to make, I have a feeling I'll be making those quite often. And the brownies....what can I say? I'm getting ready to order more mix right now! :)

I've included a picture of my first ever BakeOver attempt.... I fried up some squash and zucchini in olive oil and seasoned it with my brother-in-law's "special blend" spice (he makes it with his own home-grown herbs and spices - YUM!) I then sliced fresh mozzerella on top and broiled it for about 2 min until the cheese started to brown some. This dish was divine!!!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2010 :  11:36:21 AM  Show Profile
Christine Johnson (Babynurse, #831) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I have been collecting reusable shopping bags for a few weeks now, and I just purchased bag #6 today!! So now I am making my official commitment to stowing them in the trunk of my van so that I have them ready any time I'm out and about and may need one (or all six!) of them.

I love all of the bags I have acquired. Two are from Joann's Fabrics - a local fabrics store that I practically live at. Two others are from Bed Bath and Beyond...yet another store I have taken up residence in. ;)

One of the bags is actually a diaper bag put out by Enfamil (I believe), and since I'm an OB nurse, when the drug rep came to our unit he offered a bag to all of the nurses! There is another bag in there from Michael's craft store (another favorite).

And the final bag in the picture is not really a reuseable shopping bag, but is actually a small tote bag. However, I just HAD to include it in my diplay picture because it is now my tote bag of choice above all others, and it was made entirely out of recycled juice bags!! I love it! :)"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2010 :  11:44:28 AM  Show Profile
Laura Woodhouse (LauraJane, #2005) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge.

"I made a beginner's sewing kit using a canning jar. I made the top part into a pincushion. The jar contains all the essentials including scissors, straight pins, safety pins, needles, buttons, a thimble, and different colors of thread.

I thought this little project turned out really well. It's also a great gift idea, so I might make some for my friends who are just learning how to sew."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2010 :  12:04:08 PM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson (FieldsofThyme, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Light the Way badge.

"I made a chandelier.

Instead of using fencing, I recycled a metal basket, a canning jar, and recycled flower pot chains. I used wire to secure the jar in place, and adorned the metal basket with craft items I already had. I plan to make more of these in different designs."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2010 :  12:10:09 PM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson (FieldsofThyme, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a intermediate level Light the Way badge.

"I learned to split wood by hand.

I now have my own safety glasses and gloves to split wood by hand. My hands were sore for days - ha ha ha!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2010 :  12:17:20 PM  Show Profile
Christine Johnson (Babynurse, #831) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level What's Your Beef? badge.

"I went to www.eatwild.com and was amazed by the things I read there! I have already read Barbara Kingsolver's "Animal, Vegetable, Mirace," so I had a basic knowlege of the atrocities of CAFOs, but this website focused more on that one topic, and I learned a lot more about the differences between pasture-fed and commercially-raised livestock.

I am going to do my very best to find a local meat vendor and find out how his or her livestock is raised. Then I will try to obtain all of my families' meats and dairy from a rancher that is treating animals humanely, and without the aid of chemical and waste-filled feed, antibiotics, and growth hormones.

Another issue that concerns me greatly is the disappearance of our nation's small family farms. Just last month on the news, I saw a top story being covered. The topic? How the oldest family farm in existence in America at that time was closing it's doors. I could've cried if I hadn't felt so mad! It is ultimately our choice whether we will will look to our own good health, the animal's well-being, and the farmer's livelihood, and make the right choice! We are the ones who can make the change that is needed in our American food culture. I feel like a fire has been lit in me on this all-important issue, and I plan to do everything I can to do my part in helping out! - Starting with my family."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2010 :  11:20:08 AM  Show Profile
Georgiaberry Mobley (Georgiaberry Mobley, #782) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Get It Together badge.

"I pulled EVERYTHING out of the cabinet for food storage containers - I sorted containers and lids in the empty top rack of my dishwasher. It made everything easy to see and match up. What didn't have a match or really wasn't useful went into the recycling bin or the bag for the donation center (somebody will love the Tupperware!), whichever was appropriate.

My existing containers now easily fit into the plastic basket that I use to corral them, and as a bonus I have room to move the glass canning jars I am increasingly using for food storage into this same cabinet. And my kids can more easily put things away in their proper places when it is their turn as "dish helper."

I am so excited - my first badge!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2010 :  12:31:02 PM  Show Profile
Christine Johnson (Babynurse, #831) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge.

"About two years ago, long before I discovered MJF, my mother asked me what I wanted for my birhday. My answer was very matter-of-fact: "I want to have my very own sewing box kit so I can stop borrowing yours! So we set out to find the perfect box and fill it with all the necessities my mother could think of: thread, needles, thimble, scissors, straight pins, safety pins, and a collection of buttons. I also got a store-bought pinkeeper, but since part of this challenge is to produce your own homemade pincushion, I decided to finally go for it.

Everything turned out beautifully. The pincushion jars - and the simplicity in making them - has given me a great "homemade christms" idea!! :)"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2010 :  12:38:44 PM  Show Profile
Christine Johnson (Babynurse, #831) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"I have quite a few store-bought buttons, and quite a few others that came as "extras" with outfits I have bought through the years. However, the ones I am most proud of are the ones my mother sifted through and found at my grandmother's house. She kept them and gave them to me. My grandmother lived through the Great Depression, and grew up knowing you NEVER throw anything away! Not even a button. :)

My button collection has been a wonderful addition to my sewing kit, and I have delved into it several times looking for the perfect replacement for a missing button. Not sure if I'll ever be able to bring myself to use one of the ones from my grandmother's collections or not...I think if I do, it'll have to be something creative that I plan on keeping for myself. I'll keep you posted on that one... :)"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2010 :  12:47:29 PM  Show Profile
Christine Johnson (Babynurse, #831) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Buttoned Up badge.

"I decided to make the button jewelry-making task a family event. So tonight, the kids each made our very own piece of button jewelry!

Both of my girls got plastic flower button bracelets, my little boy got his very own ceramic button necklace made with a leather cord, and Mommy got yet a different ceramic necklace made with leather cord (a much more "girlie" one!) :) This is a picture of one of my girls and my little boy showing off their new designer duds. They were so proud, and plan on wearing their pride and joy to school tomorrow! :)"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2010 :  1:48:27 PM  Show Profile
Denise Cheney (dycheney, #992) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level The Secret Life of Bees badge.

"I watched the trailer the "Vanishing Bees," and planted echinacea and lavender. I also read "The Secret Life of Bees."

I hope to keep bees in the future. It is imperative that people who can keep hives do so, even if they don't harvest the honey. It seems to make sense that if hives are kept by organic gardeners, farmers, and householders we can redistribute the colonies and increase the biodiversity of Apis."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2010 :  2:13:01 PM  Show Profile
N. Susan Harmon (susanharmon, #1958) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge.

"Found the cutest heart shaped trinket box, made of porcelan. I stitched and stuffed a pin keeper made of white satin, then filled it with three needles, 10 straight pins and two safety pins. Added a thimble, tape measure ($1) folding scissors and some assorted buttons. I took card stock and notched the long edges, then wound different color thread in corresponding notches.

Toooooo cute. It sits on the corner of my Great-Grandmothers sewing table, now."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2010 :  2:54:41 PM  Show Profile
N. Susan Harmon (susanharmon, #1958) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Aprons badge.

"Using an old sheet from my Grandmother, I decided to follow the instructions for a clothes-pin apron from MaryJane's book.

I couldn't let it be like all the others, so I added a ribbon bow to cover my sash tack stitches. Love it!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2010 :  3:01:54 PM  Show Profile
N. Susan Harmon (susanharmon, #1958) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Sew Wonderful badge.

"I practiced stitches on scraps from my clothes pin apron.

I learned two new stitches, woo-hoo!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2010 :  11:50:38 AM  Show Profile
Denise Meister (denisemgm, #1976) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Shutterbugs badge.

"Link to online photobook: http://www.flickr.com/photos/24261047@N03/sets/72157624797231738/
Photography:
F-stop is like the opening and closing of one’s pupil depending on how much light is available. If there is a lot of light (think bright, sunny day at the beach), then use a smaller F-stop, like a 12 or 14. If there isn’t a lot of light (think sitting around the Christmas tree with only the lights from the tree on), then use a larger F-stop, like 2.8 or 4. I found that for most situations F-6 to F-8 were good utility settings.
Shutter speed refers to how quickly the shutter opens and closes for a given photo. When taking action shots, for example, the shutter speed should be very high as to not create a blurred effect. However, if one wanted to take a shot of the moon on a dark night, it’s feasible that the shutter could stay open for a few seconds as to really capture the light (though I’d recommend using a tri-pod for such an experiment – hate to get a blur because one’s hands aren’t perfectly still).
ISO (film speed) In sports where movement is fast and all over the field, such as soccer, then it’s important to use at least 400 speed film, though I found I got better results with 800 speed for sports. The problem with higher speed film is that the bigger the enlargement, the more grainy the printed photo quality will be. So, then if a person will purposely be blowing up a picture (btw, the new technology of sending in a print and getting back a framed canvas is super cool), it’s important to use 100 speed film or even a lower speed. The lower the speed, the better the film captures light also, so it’s important to understand film speed in conjunction with one’s shutter speed or the risk is getting back prints that could be too dark or overexposed.
Depth of Field is something I understand, though I haven’t been all that good at accomplishing. Depending on where your F-stop is, if you focus on something closer to the camera, the background could be blurry (on purpose for effect) and vice versa (again, depending on effect). Or perhaps it’s important to the composition that the whole frame is crisply focused. I particularly love photos where a close-up portrait is sharply focused but where the background is blurry.
Framing is using elements within the composed image to create a frame within the image. I recently took a picture of a girlfriend outside of her car staring grumpily at a tire that had just faltered big time. The photo is of her and that is what one’s eye is drawn to, but I shot the picture from the other side of the car, so the frame is the interior of the car. I included it in my Farmgirl photo album just to show you all, though it’s not exactly “Farmgirl” material.
Rule of Thirds is my favorite rule in photography because it can easily change the way one captures an image. The rule is to imagine the image as a grid like a 9-patch square. Depending on what image the photography wants to capture, whether it be a grand landscape or close-up of one’s child, the important elements of the image should be placed where the lines intersect.
Leading Lines are lines within the image that draw the eye farther into (onto) the photo. While straight lines are always simple to follow, my very first photo lesson at age 13 from a neighbor was about bow
“S” shape lines are always pleasing to follow and create a focal nice point. See the photo title “Beartooth Mountains” to see the curve of a line that leads the viewer toward the mountain scenery."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2010 :  12:01:56 PM  Show Profile
Denise Meister (denisemgm, #1976) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Quilting badge.

"I love to sew, though I haven't done much by way of quilting. I bought a "layer cake" package of "Tweet Tweet" fabrics by Moda and determined to make a table runner using 4x4 squares and 2x4 strips between the horizontal rows. It was easy to sew, though I'm not supermeticulous about the precision of lining up seams (and I'm okay with that because I'm not into perfection).

It turned out well. I love the whimsical colors and fabric design. There are two changes I might make. 1) I might put rows of polka dots horizontally as well. 2) I did the binding on the bias (because I'm more of a dress maker), and I learned quilt binding lays much better when the binding is cut with the grain."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2010 :  12:08:41 PM  Show Profile
Christine Johnson (Babynurse, #831) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge.

"Ever since our first visit to our local orchard this July to buy organic apples, we have also begun to purchase their free-range eggs. The eggs do cost more than at the local Wal Mart, but we'd much rather help the orchard stay in business than line the pockets of big-time executives.

As for animals, and feeding them organically: I have just one animal, my cat, Miss Kitty. Miss Kitty is a persian breed with the most amazingly long hair I've ever seen on a cat, so she has to be fed a special diet to keep from developing fur-balls. However, Miss Kitty just got her first taste today of some organic cat treats I just discovered. And....she loved them! :)

The family time spent driving to and from the orchard, not to mention the great fun while we are there, are worth so much more than the extra dollars we spend on the eggs we obtain there. :)

And since Miss Kitty loves her "Special, All-Natural, Free-Range Chicken" cat treats, I think those will be a keeper!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2010 :  12:21:02 PM  Show Profile
Cheri Gardiner (moshiko, #2069) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Community Action badge.

"I live in a small community. In the past few years, the local elementary/middle school has been threatened with closure. As A way of helping the school financially, I organized a "mayor" race. Votes were $1 and everyone was encouraged to stuff the ballot box. The unique thing about the race was candidates couldn't be human. There were llamas, turkeys (actually only one, the other got eaten by a bear), chicken, cats, goats, and of course, dogs.

Zoe, a female boxer, won the race. She has appeared at a few functions and her election was reported in the Pueblo paper, nearest city. All total $1369 was raised in a community of about 800 permanent residents. Everyone is already talking about next year's race and planning their campaign posters."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page