Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2010 :  3:40:12 PM  Show Profile
Cindy Stephens (girlonaroof, #592) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner and intermediate level Farmgirl Spirit badge.

"One of my best friends and I moved to NC this year. We had been in a chapter in GA. We started Simply Farmgirls chapter last month and have hosted two meetings.

For the intermediate level, I welcomed a new neighbor, a single woman who moved from out of state. My kids and I made her a cake and cookies. Drove her and her trash to the dump and gave for info on local farmers markets and local stands.

The new chapter is going great. All of our original guests returned the 2nd time and we had two new ladies. As for the new neighbor, we are great friends. She is a seasoned horse owner and helps me a lot. She joins my family for dinner frequently and she allows us to ride in her riding ring."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2010 :  3:58:15 PM  Show Profile
Darcie Hamilton (sixhens, #2038) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge.

"As a family we built a beautiful chicken coop cute enough to be a guest house. :) I purchased a variety of eight chicks that have now grown to be laying hens over the summer.

With a couple mishaps we are down to six (neighbors dog and a surprise Rooster).

The girls are fed totally organic and are free range. As of now we enjoy about a dozen and a half of fresh organic eggs each week! We are excited to get a few more chicks in the spring!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2010 :  4:21:21 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth (Carrie M, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Farmgirl Legends for earning the Schoolmarm Cleaning Up badge.
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2010 :  4:31:20 PM  Show Profile
Patricia Aicken (Columbine, #1465) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Gratitude badge.

"In the past 3 months my husband has recently had several health issues and has been depressed and generally bummed out. I figured two bummed out people is way worse than one so I told him at the end of each day I wanted him to tell me one thing he was grateful for... even if it was a small, small thing. We both started to do this and I've witten mine down as well as his now for a few months. He's not much of a speller so I just write his down each night too.

It seems to help his mood when he realizes all is not doom and gloom. Even though it may be something insignificant like getting a phone call from our grand daughter or the dog doing something quirky... it still makes you smile."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2010 :  4:36:34 PM  Show Profile
Patricia Aicken (Columbine, #1465) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Aprons badge.

"Started using old blue jean dresses/skirts and old printed ruffled skirts and recycling into full and half aprons.
I always wear mine when cooking, actually mine is made from jean skirt and a lace cut out curtain... looks really antiqued.

I am also a weaver and took a couple full aprons into the store where I consign. One of my aprons sold for $38! I had to mark it up as they get 40% but I never dreamed it would go for that price and the lady came back in the store looking for more. Talk about incentive to get sewing LOL."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2010 :  4:42:36 PM  Show Profile
Patricia Aicken (Columbine, #1465) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Lend a Hand to Families badge.

"My friend has been in the hospital since last Saturday and called me saying her tomatoes were ready and there was no one to pick and she didn't want them going to waste. Her husband is not physically able to garden and her daughter too young so I went to her garden and picked 5 gallon buckets full of tomatoes and then went home to can them for her.

Well many peeled tomatoes later I am done and she is being released today :)
One thing this taught me (as canning tomatoes had not been in my plans this week).... I am purchasing a pressure cooker this weekend."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2010 :  4:48:01 PM  Show Profile
Ruby Slider (narjay, #1663) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level The Secret Life of Bees badge.

"I watched the trailer and read the book. I also plant flowers every year. However in the future I will make sure they are all bee friendly. I will also at least double the amount of flowers that I plant.

It’s amazing how much I didn’t know (you always think you know more than you do). We may even keep bees in the future... if I can talk my husband into it. LOL!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2010 :  12:10:20 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a intermediate level Going Green badge.

"Again, we come to realize how things have cycled around. In the early years of our marriage we were making most of our soaps and detergents and being very conscientious about using safe products. Then we "bought" into the ideas that all the new things on the market were just what we needed so we started using those.
But, in the last year or so we have cycled back around to getting "back to the basics" in making our own products using safe and natural ingredients.

So, back to homemade laundry detergent, soaps, tub scrub, toilet bowl cleaner, floor cleaner and everything we can think of.
Using borax, washing soda, baking soda, Zote soap, vinegar, etc.

Making and comparing powdered vs. liquid laundry detergent.

Recipes and packages of what we make shared with family, friends and neighbors."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2010 :  12:26:47 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a expert level Going Green badge.

"We've been working on our home being totally "green" with success. Stopped using the dryer long ago unless the weather is too wet. I grew up hanging clothes on the clothesline, no matter the weather.
We used the dryer most of the time until about the last 2 years and then started hanging them out.
Our house isn't in need of paint for some years, but we will be looking at non-toxic paint.
"Safe Seal" is our choice for sealing the carpets.

I have spent many hours working on helping my sister (who is disabled) change their household to "green" products . . and using a clothesline.

What books/resources we have are available to our friends and family whenever they wish."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2010 :  12:32:40 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a expert level Green Energy badge.

"We have been working on energy reduction strategies for many years, most especially since our electric company put meters in that can be read at the office.

It is a continual project to find new ways of reducing our usage which includes more diligence in turning things off when not in use, "re-using" water whenever possible and rethinking our routines for water useage such as laundry, showering, etc.

Further tracking of Summer 2010 expenditures saw a continual decrease in costs. July was hot so there was increased use of fans, and cooler in my husband's shop, but that lasted only about 3 weeks.

Did provide many hours of assistance to a neighbor family who installed a solar water heater. It required a lot of work to prepare the room for the heater tanks, piping, etc. It required help in preparing for the solar panels to be installed on the roof and whatever other chores were required to get the job completed."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2010 :  1:16:38 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Aprons badge.

"I cut out and stitched an apron from about 7am to 1 pm, stopping for lunch of course. I used up some of the fabric from my stash and some old shell buttons I had been saving for the perfect project. I was wearing it when I took over a bag of blouses to a friend who wanted them (I have lost 20 lbs).

It went together very easily. I had to do a little adjusting to get my button holes to come out right, and I need to lose another 20 lbs before that last button will fasten, but overall, it's wonderful!!!! My friend loved the shirts and the apron. She is ready to dig into her stash too now."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2010 :  1:34:55 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Quilting badge.

"I used some watercolor strips I had and strip pieced a bargello quilt, layered batting, and backing, then machine quilted it. I used a scrap piece of flannel for the backing.

I don't much care for machine quilting, and I'll not ever use a synthetic batting again, but the quilt turned out beautiful."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2010 :  1:47:13 PM  Show Profile
Rebecca Tando (HennyBecca, #1952) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Aprons badge.

"I designed and sewed up a fluffy light cotton half apron with a row of ruffles on the lower half and a linen waistband/tie ends. I added a pretty little hand towel at the waist that was previously embroidered (store bought) that hangs off to the side of the apron.

It turned out really well! Far better than I expected. I made it using the fabric from an old full, long skirt."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2010 :  1:55:55 PM  Show Profile
Laurie Lemieux (Montrose Girl, #1587) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a intermediate level The Secret Life of Bees badge.

"I read "Bees: Nature's Little Wonders," and read up on the difference between raw and processed honey.

Last year I found a local vendor and bought a 5 gallon bucket of honey.

I still have half a bucket left and love sharing it. The book was very informative and I learned more than I had known. The amazing communication ability impressed me the most and those scientists that studied it all."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2010 :  2:05:09 PM  Show Profile
Ruby Slider (narjay, #1663) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Knitting badge.

"I did not know how to knit, so I got a book and taught myself. And I made a scarf, because it seemed like an easy project. I didn’t have anybody to teach so once again my husband was my victim… umm I mean student (he’s such a good sport). When I learned to crochet I realized that I made my scarf shorter than I wanted. So I made this one longer and a little wider.

I think it turned out beautifully. I also learned that I like knitting better than crochet. For some reason I’m faster at knitting (this only took me a day and a half)."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2010 :  2:12:00 PM  Show Profile
Loyce Krogel (traildancer, #1272) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge.

"When looking through my button collection I found a small sewing kit. With that as my basis, I stitched together some quilt scraps with batting to make a booklet. I strung several buttons on a piece of embroidery floss; added several needles and safety pins; tied on a pair of folding scissors. Out of more quilt scraps I sewed a pincushion in the shape of a heart with several layers of batting in between. Then I stuck lots of pins into it.

My friend, who doesn't know how to sew but wants to learn, was tickled to get the kit. I actually stitched it up in front of her while she was finishing up a quilted potholder."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2010 :  2:19:42 PM  Show Profile
Loyce Krogel (traildancer, #1272) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Sew Wonderful badge.

"I have been sewing for over 40 years now, and have done many things both by machine and by hand. I know how to sew a straight seam by hand using occasional back stitches to keep the thread from pulling through. And that is the first seam I learned on a machine. For one of the aprons I made, I used a french seam. I have done flat felled seams and feel that they are more trouble than they are worth. The french seams are a nice touch, though.

Since it had been 25 years since I had last done a french seam, I started out wrong and had to rip out and start over. Once I remembered the correct way, the rest was easy. It made the apron look as good on the inside as on the outside. I used batik fabric so there isn't a wrong side to the fabric."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2010 :  3:37:47 PM  Show Profile
Loyce Krogel (traildancer, #1272) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Aprons badge.

"Last night I sewed up a full apron in Civil War reproduction fabric.

The apron is very pretty and vintage looking. The pattern called for self-made bias binding sewn around all the edges. This was a pain. I did the first section according to the pattern and promptly changed the way I did the rest of it, thanks to many, many years of sewing experience. It was painstaking either way. There is a small gathered inset in the front of the apron skirt with binding across the top. It really adds to the apron. Including cutting out and sewing, I spent more than three hours on this project."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2010 :  4:11:07 PM  Show Profile
Stephanie Orr (OrrShine, #1545) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Bee Good to Your Mother Earth badge.

"This year I was excited to expand my garden. It's the largest one I've ever kept. I began turning over the grass in April. With such an unusually warm spring I was able to begin planting early in mid May. All plants were in by June, and the growing began. I began reading Montrose in July.

I finished reading Montrose the last week of July. I have to say my favorite part is the winter months when Nancy's garden is so alive while mine is burried under two feet of snow. This was the first year growing a potato and I will surely grow more next year."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2010 :  4:38:38 PM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson (FieldsofThyme, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a intermediate level Families Forever badge.

"We kept a journal and recorded the amount of television that was watched in our home.

Over the years we have cut back on the amount of TV that is watched, suggesting it be no more than 2 hours a day (including computer time in those 2 hours). We definitely can cut back even more on TV time, but it seems the kids run to the computer when the TV is off. During the week of keeping our journal, I noticed the kids reading or drawing more often, and watching TV less. We are spending more time outside together now in the evenings."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2010 :  4:43:43 PM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson (FieldsofThyme, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an expert level Families Forever badge.

"We have gone camping and hiking twice in the last 2 months. The kids enjoyed the fact they could bring their dogs and hike with them.

We are already planning more camping/hiking trips before it snows. We came up with the following ideas to spend more time with each other:

-visit a nearby historic General Store and taste sarsaparillas
-take a boat trip to an island and camp
-search for free u-pick ads for pears, wild black raspberries and other free fruit, and pick them together as a family
-take a tour of a local jelly factory
-spend a weekend camping in a Yurt"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2010 :  4:49:12 PM  Show Profile
Laura Hughes (morning, #1915) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Horse Dreams badge.

"We went to the state fair and were able to walk around and meet many different breeds of horses.

I loved the quarter horses probably because I had one when I was a teenager.

It was a lot of fun walking around and meeting all the different horses and watching a little bit of the jumping competition."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2010 :  09:25:19 AM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Farmgirl Legends for earning the Schoolmarm Cleaning Up badge.
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2010 :  4:17:50 PM  Show Profile
Monique Bergeron (RIGardenGirl, #1838) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I have been using reusable bags for about 2 years. My family thinks I am crazy because I have about 20! I actually had more, but I started my parents on the green path too!

I use my bags where ever I shop."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2010 :  4:25:01 PM  Show Profile
Monique Bergeron (RIGardenGirl, #1838) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a intermediate level Shopping Green badge.

"I wanted to use something other than glass cleaner. It seemed to me that I could put something together that cleaned just as good without the chemicals and dye.

I use straight vinegar to clean glass now. The smell is good and doesn't linger. I have removed any glass cleaner from the house. The glass actually sparkles better than anything else I have used."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page