Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2010 :  1:27:35 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth (Carrie M, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an expert level Disconnect to Reconnect badge.

"I earned the expert level of this badge by spending an evening in the Adirondacks by myself at the trailhead of the Dix Mountain Wilderness. There are camping sites at this spot, but it was raining, so I dropped the back seats of my Chevy Blazer and laid out my pad and sleeping bag in the back. I had a battery powered lantern, so I spent time reading, writing in my journal, and just looking at the stars and big sky outside my window. For breakfast, I used my zip stove (a small unit that burns twigs, pinecones, etc and can support a pot) to heat some water and made oatmeal and tea. It was not raining as much as the night before, so I sat on my tailgate to eat, breathing in the foresty dampness. I find being in the Adirondacks to be the most refreshing time I ever spend! (In the photo is a monarch caterpillar that we found on another hike—we took him home and watched him make a chrysalis and then hatch into a butterfly...fascinating!)"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2010 :  1:46:56 PM  Show Profile
Sherri Reece (slreece, #2090) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Gratitude badge.

"I began the journal on my anniversary 10/10 and concluded on my mother's birthday 11/9. I kept the journal with my schoolwork where I knew I would remember to pick it up daily. I'm grateful for big things like a terrific husband and voting (and for THREE women for public offices), to little things like nasal spray and buying a sewing machine for a good price!

Knowing you are writing down your daily blessings makes you spot more of them and makes it terribly hard to choose just one to write. You come to realize even the worst days have their moments."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2010 :  1:54:36 PM  Show Profile
Amelia Woodcock (ruralsweetheart, #1960) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Gratitude badge.

"I did my gratitude journal for the month of October, and it was amazing to just realize all the things I was grateful for. From school, my family, my pets, my boyfriend, the roof over my head, to the blankets on my bed, I'm grateful for it all and am proud to have it all down on paper. :)

The journal turned out great! I have a months worth of things I am grateful for and I am even thinking about continuing it!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2010 :  1:59:25 PM  Show Profile
Melissa Bailey (MissLiss, #724) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a intermediate level Pay It Forward badge.

"I collected over 50 items to give to our local food shelter. I was especially proud after talking to the lady we gave the bags to after finding out that a few of the items we gave were very rare - as far as the bank was concerned. I had a baby just about a month ago and it seems like every formula company on the planet found that out and sent us large cans of formula to sample. My baby is formula-fed, but is lactose intolerant, and must be on a special soy formula. So all those free cans were just waste! I threw them in the food bank bags and to my surprise, they were gushed over! The lady said that formula was so expensive that nobody ever just gave it away! So I felt wonderful about donating that formula to someone who could really use it that may not have been able to get it normally from the food bank!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2010 :  2:13:09 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an expert level Farmgirl Shutterbugs badge.

"As stated in previous Shutterbug applications I’ve been taking photos for many, many years. I’m kind of obsessed with it and take pictures of EVERYTHING; church events, musicals, fundraising events, family outings and gatherings . . . you name it.

And, I’ve been making my photos into cards, calendars and special albums for many year. I use the cards, but sell them and the other items have been gifts. I continue to take photos and make them into these items, to sell or as gifts.

I strive to continually improve my photography skills and incorporate more creativity into what I do, not only with the photographic process but in the end product as well.

Tom Ang's book "Digital Photography Masterclass" is EXCELLENT!! I got it from the library, but when finances allow I plan to purchase it. Filled with tutorials in all aspects of mastering digital photography, with assignments. I did some experimenting and want to be able to repeat them and hone my skills over time.

One link below is for photos of a recent fall family trip to the Outer Banks, visits to famous lighthouses, ferry rides, visit to Kittyhawk, the beach and time with family who live in North Carolina. This gathering also included a helicopter ride, trips into the Smoky Mountains and special activities with family members.

The 2nd link is for the recent 60th wedding anniversary celebration for my in-laws. This was not only a LOT of family but many close friends who came to an informal “open house” event to honor them.

Photo below is of a calendar I created with my own photographs that were incorporated into the calendar pages with papercrafting and scrapbooking skills.

http://s842.photobucket.com/albums/zz347/cjapianist/Outer%20Banks%20Family%20Get-Together/

http://s842.photobucket.com/albums/zz347/cjapianist/In-Laws%2060th%20Wedding%20Anniversary%20Party/"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2010 :  2:28:07 PM  Show Profile
Tammy Caltagirone (TammyCaltagirone, #2167) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge.

"In May of this year we purchased four 3 week old hens (two Leghorns and two Rhode Island Reds). My husband and I roughed out the plans for a 4x4 coop and built it, and a run, when the chicks were small. It was an exciting day when the girls were old enough to move outside. The girls are permitted into the garden area near their coop each morning and evening so that they can scratch and cluck to their hearts content. Our deck overlooks the “farm” area so it was wonderful family time to sit on the deck and watch the girls doing their “thang.”
It took several weeks longer than we anticipated, but mid-October we got our first fresh egg. I must mention, that when we did finally get an egg, my girlfriend quickly knit a hat and dropped it off with a celebration card. Now we feed the girls with an organic layer feed from our local feed store and get roughly 3-4 eggs daily.

Breakfast never tasted so good!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2010 :  2:33:04 PM  Show Profile
Tammy Caltagirone (TammyCaltagirone, #2167) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Make It! badge.

"Early November I began organizing the house in preparation for having my maternal grandmother move in with us. Starting with the garage, I utilized the existing peg-board (left from the former owner) and hung our tools and fishing poles. Since we’ve only just begun gathering yard tools I decided against “shadowing” the arrangement until we have completed our tool acquisition.

Wow, there’s a lot more room in the garage now! Oh, and we have a much better idea of what we have and what we need."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2010 :  2:37:56 PM  Show Profile
Tammy Caltagirone (TammyCaltagirone, #2167) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Get It Together badge.

"Furthering my November organization projects and preparing for my grandmother’s relocation from Texas to our home in Illinois, I matched lids for the existing storage containers and purged all unnecessary storage containers. I plan to utilize the remaining containers for “take homes” for any family members coming for Thanksgiving dinner who may want leftovers. Perfect recycling plan!

My family will be very happy to have take homes after Thanksgiving. They always are!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2010 :  2:42:46 PM  Show Profile
Tammy Caltagirone (TammyCaltagirone, #2167) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a intermediate level Get It Together badge.

"Organization 102. I have completed, not only a kitchen needs list for myself, but have created one for my daughters for gift giving by the family. That way, anytime someone asks what the girls need, I have a handy list and the girls get to build their own kitchens.
Additionally, I have created a shopping list, broken down by category, for all my normal purchases from personal products to seasoning. On one side I have a place for my weekly menu and the other side is where I am able to keep track of the necessary ingredients for the week. I’ve also included a small section to list any additional errands that must be run on shopping day.

Keeping track of our needs have never been so easy. By posting the week's grocery list on the refrigerator on Monday everyone is able to check-off anything needed as we run out. Sure saves time."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2010 :  2:47:59 PM  Show Profile
Tammy Caltagirone (TammyCaltagirone, #2167) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Little Squirts badge.

"Hand-in-hand with the cleaning and organizing projects of the Make It Easy, Make It and the Farm Kitchen, Get it Together I made sure that all doors and locks were cleaned and properly lubricated.

The organization process made oiling the tools and bikes a no-brainer! Now we’re all set for winter and to have grandma join us."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2010 :  2:53:46 PM  Show Profile
Vickie Garver (13Grandma, #2316) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Going Green badge.

"I stopped buying expensive cleaners and started using green ones. I use vinegar, scrubbies, squeegies and steam to clean kitchen and bathroom. I use homemade laundry soap and vinegar for fabric softners.

I love using the vinegar and steam to clean. It is so easy and quick and I don't have to worry about our pets and grandchildren being around when I clean."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2010 :  11:29:52 AM  Show Profile
Laura Hughes (Morning, #1915) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Families Forever badge.

"The four of us (me, Dh, and 2 DD's) started game night in September. We played everything from Uno, Clue, to four player games on the Wii. We did this for over eight weeks and had a blast. My youngest and I read together most nights. We just finished The Inventions of Hugo Cabret and are starting on The Hobbit, (so she can earn the intermediate cultivator's badge).

It was so much fun that my youngest voted to extend our game night indefinitely!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2010 :  11:39:40 AM  Show Profile
Rejena Girton (Rejena, #2059) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Gratitude badge.

"I wrote in my journal for over a month and brought forward those things that I was grateful for.

It was tough and took longer than expected because some days I just couldn't find something to be grateful for...then, it hit me mid-way through the experience...there is always something to be grateful for! Once I connected with this idea my days got better and my journal was filled up quick."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2010 :  11:52:37 AM  Show Profile
Heather Wright (hwright95, #2187) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"I have had a button collection for a while, most are from my mom and grandmother, and I buy and sell antique jewelry, so I pick some up here and there at auctions and sales.

I love my buttons!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2010 :  12:02:29 PM  Show Profile
Rejena Girton (Rejena, #2059) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a intermediate level Farmgirl Gratitude badge.

"I wrote a letter to our local fire company thanking them again for saving our house from a fire in the basement.

Dear Millville Fire Company,

We just wanted to let you know how thankful we are for the time and energy you put into getting so quickly to our home a few years ago to put a fire out in our basement. We are working on expressing our gratitude to those that have affected our lives in the past years, and the Millville Fire Company and all of its volunteers are definitely a big part of this list.

We appreciate your hard work, strong driving skills and able workmanship that helped us save our home in such a remote and inaccessible location. We said goodbye to our house and all of our possessions that night when we found the fire in the basement, but with your assistance, we are able to continue to enjoy all of our worldly possessions and the roof over our heads.

We are ever grateful for the job you did.
Rejena

I also sent the following letter to our local newspaper to thank those folks that have been so helpful to us:

Dear Editor:
I am writing to remind us all to thank those folks that positively affect our lives every day. Please remember those people serving and protecting us, those making our lives less dangerous and more fun.

We, as a family, have been working on showing our gratitude to folks that have shown us kindness and caring, and have made our safety their top priority in the last few years.

For instance, these are folks we cherish:
Millville Fire Company came to our remote home and provided support and help when a fire erupted in our basement.
WE ARE THANKFUL!

Greenwood Friends School had been the educational home of our children for over a decade, The people of this wonderful organization have nurtured us and their care of our children was unrelenting.
WE ARE THANKFUL!

Millville Police Department came to our animal’s rescue when a raccoon invaded our henhouse and destroyed 25 of our birds at midnight on a Friday and was headed to our 20 ducks home next. Not having a gun or the strength of gut or grit to smash the invader with a shovel I called the people who are there to help. The Chief of Police showed up and destroyed the invader. Our ducks survived and we are happy to report that one is now sitting on a clutch of eggs.
WE ARE THANKFUL!

Millville Christian Church is the home base of our daughter’s Junior Girl Scout Troop. Even through all their restorations and renovations this year they provide shelter to this great group of girls.
WE ARE THANKFUL!

Valley Mobile Veterinary Services, Inc. has helped us make our dreams come true at our new farm, Violet Acres. New at raising Boer goats and new at being in charge of 20+ animals at a time, farming is an adventure and learning experience each day. We end up calling our vet, Jody Kull on a regular basis. She is a strong presence in our barn and on our phone. Ok, she is on speed dial! Her calm and educated recommendations and advice always keeps this Kid Run Farm growing strong.
WE ARE THANKFUL!

Who brings feelings of appreciation to your heart? Please write a letter to encourage the kind and giving folks in your lives and community. Express your appreciation to those who have touched your life in a wonderful way.

Let’s see 30 Seconds full of joy, gratefulness, appreciation and caring for the week of Thanksgiving. I’d be grateful.

In friendship,
Rejena Girton and family

It was fun to remember to be grateful for others service to us as a family!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2010 :  12:10:02 PM  Show Profile
Laura Hughes (Morning, #1915) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Crochet badge.

"I joined the handmade ornament exchange with the Farmgirls Southwest Henhouse. I decided to crochet little minature stockings. I also tried to teach my youngest daughter to crochet. She made the worlds longest chain. :)"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2010 :  12:28:29 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth (Carrie M, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an expert level Gaining Ground badge.

"So I was about half way through the book “Secrets of Great Soil,” which I had ordered from the library after a disappointing search for a master composters program in my area, when out of the blue I received an invitation from my local Cooperative Extension to attend a Master Composting workshop! I was thrilled and signed up for the course.

About one hundred people attended the workshop from all over the area, some even driving more than an hour to attend. We brought our own washable place settings and coffee mugs for an all day event which covered subjects from composting & vermicomposting to how to teach composting to school aged children and start a municipal program in our own hometowns, followed by a locally raised meal at lunchtime—salad greens, beet salads, apple cider, Swedish meatballs and bakery bread. I even came home with a bucket of baby worms. (In the photo)

When the day was over, the only garbage that our event produced was some food scraps and a couple of paper napkins which were added to a worm composting unit. Not bad for a group of 100 people!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2010 :  12:42:45 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth (Carrie M, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an expert level Knotty Farmgirls badge.

"For this badge, I made a display of some new knots that I learned from my “Handbook of Knots” by Des Pawson. I also made a short plant hanger out of different colored yarns which hangs in my camper; it has some old wooden beads in the top sections and four metal rods that I salvaged from a deteriorated wind chime in the bottom strands where they make a little noise when a breeze blows through a window. I also made a macrame necklace and several macrame bookmarkers. I had to use square knots, reverse double half hitches, slip-loop knots, overhand knots, and a three-ply braid to make these projects. My son and daughter also now know how to make a variety of knots which they use in their fort building projects and other tasks."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2010 :  1:00:25 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth (Carrie M, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a intermediate level Outstepping badge.

"For the intermediate level of this badge, I have visited more than a hundred historic locations in New York, New Hampshire, Maine, Vermont, and Massachusetts. We have toured the Natural Stone Bridge and Caves, Howe Caverns, Coopers Cave, and even Mammoth Cave in Kentucky! We've stopped at lighthouses all along the shore of Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and Maine; we've even painted a picture of a lighthouse in acrylics as a homeschooling art lesson. I've yet to find any mines that are tourable, but will keep looking. I've also been climbing with my children to watchtowers throughout our area. If we climb to a few more towers further away, we can earn a badge through the Adirondack Mountain Club! Our participation in this challenge will help raise funds, as well as awareness, which will keep the towers in good shape and hopefully prevent the tearing down of several towers on the “endagered” list."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2010 :  1:15:23 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth (Carrie M, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an expert level Outstepping badge.

"Backpacking is my very favorite kind of vacation. I spend a lot of time in the Adirondacks of New York, and my favorite activity is climbing the high peaks. We usually make day trips, but some of the peaks cannot be reached easily and require overnight stays. This was the case for Whiteface Mountain. My husband and I packed the necessaries for one night in a tent. We took some water as well as a water filter, a cookpot, my zip stove, and some natural foods and snack bars. We hiked 4.7 miles to the peak of Esther Mountain, then climbed back down to a camping spot where we made dinner and spent the night. It was May, but the weather in the high peaks is unpredictable, and we got sleet and snow that night! Fortunately we had low temp sleeping bags. The following day we climbed another 1.8 miles to the peak of Whiteface Mountain (the fifth highest peak in the range). It was a 13 mile weekend, followed by a hotel with a hot tub in Lake Placid....blissfully wonderful!
(In the photo is our children enjoying a little swimming hole we found on one of our hikes.)"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2010 :  1:24:44 PM  Show Profile
Angela Neikirk (Sweetpea Farm, #2043) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Horse Dreams badge.

"(Identify a breed) The dun - Is characterized by primitive markings which are darker than the body color. Primitive markings include:

Dorsal stripe (stripe down the center of the back, along the spine), seen almost universally on all duns.
Horizontal striping on the back of forelegs, common on most duns, though at times rather faint.
Shoulder blade stripe, the least commonly-seen of the primitive markings.

Every little girl dreams of having a horse. I have always thought this was such a beautiful color for a horse so I bought ONE, and even better he is half Draft which is my other favorite breed."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2010 :  1:37:51 PM  Show Profile
April Hager (#1044) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner and intermediate level Disconnect to Reconnect badge.

"On April 20th 2010, 5 girlfriends and I set out for a 5-day, 4-night, 25 hike on Pine Mountain Trail in GA. My 40# pack held everything I’d need to survive my first backpacking experience with the Wilderness Christian Camp. We partnered up to share a cozy pup tent each night. All of our meals were cooked individually over a camp stove. I kept a daily journal. Since I would be turning 40 this year, I wanted a good challenge for myself. Little did I know that my partner would be turning 60 and others in our group approaching 50. My challenge would be in holding back to wait for them, not being able to move ahead when I wanted to keep going. I ended up carrying more of my partner’s weight from her pack so that she could manage the trail. The weather was perfect, God’s creation was glorious, and the freedom from “everyday distractions” was hard to leave behind when our 25 miles were complete. I would have submitted this badge long ago, but I still had to complete the beginner level which was a bit more of a challenge! It’s hard to leave the electronics alone when they are right in front of you! I only last weekend, November 12-14 decided, at the prompting of a Sioux Indian, to turn off the computer (I never use cell phones anyway) and disconnect from the virtual world in order to focus more on what’s most important. I found myself being pulled toward the machine to “check this or that” completely out of habit, but I redirected myself and accomplished so much in that short weekend, from time in the garden and sewing to playing games with my children.

I plan to do it all again regularly!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2010 :  2:18:01 PM  Show Profile
Melissa Bailey (MissLiss, #724) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Families Forever badge.

"We instituted a family game night!

We made Saturday night our weekly game night and though my Hubby wasn't into it at first (he'd much rather be watching COPS on t.v.) after a while, he seemed to really enjoy spending time with my daughters and I. Since my girls are 1 month old and 4 years old, we generally play matching games or bingo while taking turns holding the little one. Thanks for encouraging this family time MaryJane - it has really been wonderful!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2010 :  3:14:03 PM  Show Profile
Sherri Reece (slreece, #2090) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Quilting badge.

"I bought a kit from Connecting Threads with a table top pattern and the material to make the top, binding and backing. It had been sitting on a shelf for months. I cut the material, the batting and the backing. I used my embroidery machine on the center panel and sewed together by the instructions. I pinned the "sandwich" together and began outline stitching to quilt.

Turned out just fine. I had pieced quilt tops before, but never seen one through to the binding stage. It was great seeing a project to completion."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2010 :  3:29:14 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth (Carrie M, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Farmgirl Legends for earning the Schoolmarm Outpost badge.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page