Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Farmer's market visit = bakeover inspiration
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Farmer's market visit = bakeover inspiration Next Topic  

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2005 :  09:24:29 AM  Show Profile
We've been having drought problems this year in Illinois, so the tomatoes and corn have been pretty depressing at my local Mexican market. My husband and I availed ourselves of the holiday weekend yesterday and drove out to a farmer's market in the suburbs. We purchased:

corn
tomatoes
little red potatoes
zucchini
yellow zucchini (not the same as yellow squash, according to the woman there, but I haven't tried them yet)
1 spaghetti squash
a squash that looks like an acorn squash but with different coloring. It was really pretty, all orange and white and green stripes.
green beans
a huge bunch of the freshest basil I've ever seen.

We then went to a Russian market and snagged a container of fresh figs (ate some of them for breakfast today, yum!) some cheap blackberries, some yogurt cheese made from kefir, and some other stuff.

I'm going to take some of these and make a bakeover tonight. I'm going to use tomato, zucchini, an onion, lots of garlic, maybe a red pepper flake or two, some of the yogurt cheese (it's a lot like ricotta but not as fattening) a bit of shredded mozzarella, some parmaggiano reggiano, some pine nuts, and top it with a crust made from the "basic crust recipe" and add osme basil to the crust.

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2005 :  09:59:40 AM  Show Profile
Hmmm, you don't live that far from me. What time should I be over?

It sounds really terrific. And you should know that you folks in the city have an advantage that us country folk don't have; unless we have a garden, there's not much fresh local produce available. Some of the local towns do some farmer's markets, but they tend to have stuff like Florida melons, sweet corn, and tomatoes. I want locally grown stuff! I want to support my neighbors who work and sweat and grow nice varieties that weren't developed for how tough they were in shipping!

A neighbor has taken pity on me and brought me lots of fresh tomatoes this year, and a cuke. I made some of them into a salad with Vidalia onion, cannelini, garlic, olive oil, balsamic vinegar and some herbs. I can make it a full meal!
Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2005 :  12:42:11 PM  Show Profile
A lot of the stuff at this market wasn't local either, but I consider the stuff from Michigan, downstate Illinois, and Indiana to be pretty close to local. They also had peaches from Washington, and I was like, "What's the point?" You don't go to a farmer's market to get peaches from halfway across the country. As it happens, we bought only local stuff.

Dinner is at 8:30.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

60 Posts

Tammy
Port Orford Oregon
60 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2005 :  11:01:02 AM  Show Profile
What's the basic crust recipe? I would love to make a bake over with the items I have on hand, but I am a little hesitant, because I don't have a recipe.

When I feel spring coming I have to plant or I’ll go crazy!
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2005 :  11:13:52 AM  Show Profile
Here'es a link to an article about MJ from organic.org that has the bakeover inspiration and basic recipe included. Have fun!
http://www.organic.org/?section=articles&page=showarticle&article=80

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Set a high value on spontaneous kindness. - Samuel Johnson****
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

60 Posts

Tammy
Port Orford Oregon
60 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2005 :  11:30:10 AM  Show Profile
This looks great! Thank you so much, I can't wait to make one!

When I feel spring coming I have to plant or I’ll go crazy!
Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2005 :  12:33:48 PM  Show Profile
So I made the bakeover last night with all of the stuff that I mentioned before, plus a couple of other things in my fridge. The result was fabulous. The only problem was that it was a bit watery and it bubbled over in my oven while I was baking it. (I cheat with bakeovers, anyway. I put the filling in a pie plate, rather than baking it right in the skillet, and top it with the crust, and then I don't flip it, so it's more like a pie or a cobbler). My Italian-American husband loved it.

So here's the recipe. I'm sorry I can't give you more exact proportions, but you know how it is with bakeovers. One of the great things about them is how they're not an exact science.

1 handful pine nuts
olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 small onion, diced
4 mushrooms, sliced
1 zucchini, diced
2 tomatoes, diced
salt
pepper
a pinch of red pepper flakes
fresh basil
yogurt cheese (can also use ricotta)
shredded mozzarella
grated parmesan
Basic crust for bakeover recipe with fresh basil added.

Toast pine nuts over medium-high heat in dry skillet. Remove to bowl. Heat olive oil in pan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Sautee about 1 minute or so. Add all veggies except tomatoes, sautee a few minutes. Add tomatoes. Sautee a few minutes. Turn off heat. Add cheeses, red pepper flakes, basil, pine nuts, salt and pepper to taste. Top with basic crust with basil mixed in. Serve to Italian-American husband.

Edited by - ivmeer on Sep 07 2005 12:44:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

prairiemaid
True Blue Farmgirl

200 Posts

Margret

Canada
200 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2005 :  2:42:05 PM  Show Profile
I've never heard of a "bakeover". Sounds wonderful!!!

Call me old fashioned.
Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2005 :  05:47:46 AM  Show Profile
It's in Mary Jane's book, and there's a link to the recipe higher up the thread.
Go to Top of Page

prairiemaid
True Blue Farmgirl

200 Posts

Margret

Canada
200 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2005 :  06:04:54 AM  Show Profile
Yes, I can see that.

Call me old fashioned.
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2005 :  7:12:29 PM  Show Profile
I "invented" (haha!) my own variation tonight. Since I'm not eating leavened bread products, I decided I'd try using a rosemary wrap (tortilla). I used two on top, pushed them down to seal it and popped it in the oven for 20 mins. Turned out great with a nice crunch to it.

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2005 :  07:17:29 AM  Show Profile
Why are you not eating leavened bread products, Clare?
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2005 :  08:19:15 AM  Show Profile
Health reasons! I'm doing detective work. I think yeast and wheat may be two culprits that I react to... and therefore gain weight from. But I think it's mainly the yeast. There's a bigger picture than that, but that's it in a nutshell.

Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2011 :  3:56:11 PM  Show Profile
Another bump (posts from 2005)

Farmgirl #800
http://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Farmer's market visit = bakeover inspiration Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page