ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4720 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4720 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2008 :  07:10:16 AM  Show Profile
Hard to believe another year has flown by for us! Last year I explained how we celebrate Nowrooz, The Persian New Year. This year I thought I would give a more detailed account of the holiday. Like everything else to do with the Mideast, the Persian New Year is a long, complicated process filled with much symbolism and celebration. I hope it gives you a better insight to the people of Iran. You may notice just how many of their traditions have been incorporated into the Western world.

Dawn in IL

NOWROOZ (Pronounced: No-Rooz, Translated: New-Day)
PERSIAN NEW YEAR

In harmony with the rebirth of nature, the Iranian New Year, Nowrooz, is always celebrated on the first day of spring.

Over 3,000 years ago, the beloved ancient King Jamshid noticed how unhappy his subjects were as winter ended and spring was just beginning. He ordered the following ceremonies to celebrate the New Year as described by the 10th century poet, Ferdowsi.

Nowrooz symbolic ceremonies represent the end, rebirth, good and evil. A few weeks before the New Year begins a thorough spring cleaning and rearranging of homes is done. People are also busy making new clothes, baking pastries & germinating seeds as a sign of renewal. A ceremonial cloth is set up in each house. Troubadours disguise themselves with make up & wear brightly colored outfits of satin. They sing, dance and parade as a carnival through the street with tambourines, kettledrums and trumpets to spread good cheer and news of the coming new year. It was believed that spirits of their ancestors visited the living at the end of the year. Many people, mostly children would wrap themselves in shrouds to reenact these visits. At night, small bonfires are lit for people to jump over to burn away any evil feelings they have left over from the old year. Children would run from house to house banging on pots & pans with spoons to beat out the last unlucky Wednesday of the year. The children would go knocking on doors and ask for treats. Another ritual is to make a wish on a corner of intersection or behind a terrace or wall. If you overhear passerby’s conversations, then your wish would come true.

A few days before the New Year, a special cover is spread on a Persian carpet or table in every home. Seven dishes, (7 being a sacred number in ancient Persia), would be spread out. The dishes symbolize seven angelic heralds of life-rebirth, health, happiness, prosperity, joy, patience and beauty. Two books of tradition and wisdom are laid out, a copy of the Koran and a volume of poems by Hafez (one of the great lyric 14th century Persian poets) are laid on the cloth along with gold coins, painted eggs, a Seville orange floating in a bowl of water and a flask of rose water. A brassier of wild rue burns nearby to ward off evil spirits. A pot of hyacinths or narcissus (2 spring blooming flowers in Iran), a mirror and 2 candelabras with a flickering candle for each child are also laid out on the cloth.

On the same table people place seven special sweet treats to celebrate the day the ancient King Jamshid discovered sugar. The treats are made from sugar, rosewater, almonds, poppy seeds, cardamom, pistachios, saffron and honey.

A few days before the New Year, family and friends get together to sing traditional songs, read poems and verses from the Koran are recited. On the New Year the bowl with the orange (or an egg) is placed on top of a mirror. It is believed a small movement will occur at the exact moment of the equinox and the orange will move in the mirror indicating the precise moment of the New Year. This moment is announced by firing cannons, on the radio and television. The oldest person in the family then begins the well wishing and gives everyone a sweet pastry, gold or silver coins, and lots of hugs. Calm, happiness, sweetness and perfumed odors are very important on this day of rebirth. An old saying is often repeated, “Good thoughts, good words, good deeds-to this year end, happy indeed.”

This celebration continues for 12 days! The first few days the young family members visit the older ones as a sign of respect. Sweet pastries and delicious frothy drinks or tea are served. Children receive presents. The elders return the visits toward the end of the 12 days.

On the 13th day the sprouts are carried with on a picnic to (if possible) a field with green grass on the water’s edge where they are thrown in to the water (stream or a river) to complete the end of one year and the birth of another. There is much singing, dancing, eating and drinking on this final day.

Fish and noodles are usually served on New Year’s Day. It is believed they bring good luck in to the New Year ahead. Noodle soup symbolizes unraveling life’s knotty problems, fish represents life, rice with fresh herbs for rebirth, herb kuku (eggs) fertility, bread, cheese and fresh herbs represent prosperity.

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2008 :  07:32:00 AM  Show Profile
Happy Nowrooz to you Dawn, may the next year bring you much happiness and joy!

Annika
Farmgirl sister #13
Mud Hen Queen
http://innermountainmudhens.wordpress.com/
http://panzymoon.wordpress.com/
http://panzymoonsgarden.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4720 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4720 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2008 :  06:59:15 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the well wishes Annika. I am busy getting my house and meal ready for tomorrows feast! I'll be making a fresh herb kuku (baked egg appetizer) dill rice, beef kebabs and a saffron brownie for our meal. Time to get my table ready too! There's a lot to put on there.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2008 :  07:33:50 AM  Show Profile
Oh my gosh1! Happy new year!
I didn't know you were Iranian!!! I have a dear special friend who immigrated here a year ago!! He was trying to tell me in broken English about this tradition!!! He is the kindest person I know!!! I'm so glad that you are Iranian too farmgirl friend!! Hugs!

"No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars,or sailed to an uncharted land or opened a new heaven to the human spirit." Helen Keller
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2008 :  10:55:17 AM  Show Profile
May the Creator abundantly bless your New Year!

Patricia

Proud Farmgirl Sister #19
Rusty Chicks Chapter

check out my etsy site http://ThePlayfulFarmgirl.etsy.com

Today I choose faith not fear.
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4720 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4720 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2008 :  10:42:10 AM  Show Profile
Happy New Year everyone! I've been busy cooking away! I just finished my saffron brownie and now I have to prepare the meat for the kabobs. Thanks for the well wishes! Our phone will start ringing off the hook this evening when my husband's family starts calling to wish us a Happy Nowrooz. They live in southern CA, so we can't celebrate with them.

Mina, my husband is Persian, I'm Scandinavian and Polish. Nowrooz is a Persian holiday, not a religious one. My husband and I combine our heritages and our American traditions together. We want our 4.5 year old son to be proud of his heritages. We also are teaching him about Muslim and Christian religions. Most of all we want him to have respect for all beliefs and cultures.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2008 :  12:05:56 PM  Show Profile
That is so wonderful Dawn!! I love this New Year traditon! Letting go of bad feelings,forgiving ,staring fresh! I think I'm gonna start celebrating the Persian New year!! Have fun!! Many hugs!!

"No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars,or sailed to an uncharted land or opened a new heaven to the human spirit." Helen Keller
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4116 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4116 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2008 :  04:37:41 AM  Show Profile
How was the New Year celebration Dawn? Happy Spring

Michele
Go to Top of Page