Author **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic greetings from alaska Next Topic  

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2008 :  6:33:47 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
hi! i am connie and live on a 5 acre "farm" north of fairbanks alaska. we have an angus heifer, a half angus sterr, 35 rhode island red chick (coming tomrrow) and 2 very large gardens. having gardens and animals here has its own special sort of problem lol. we have very long,harsh winters, 24 hour daylight for most of the growing season, and our ground stays quite cool, but we are making a go of growing as much of our own food as possible. we will be getting our first milk cow in a couple of weeks. a dexter who has been nursing a calf for the last year and has never been milked by humans. this ought to be an interesting experience *grin*. we make our won bread and will be amking our own dairy products, hopefully very soon. i am looking forward to sharing knowlege,ideas and fun in this group! peace connie in alaska

farmgirlkate
True Blue Farmgirl

167 Posts

kate
bryan TX
USA
167 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2008 :  6:47:50 PM  Show Profile
Howdy from Texas Connie! I have heard about your gardening challenges up there before-my in laws were part of a gov't team (USDA) to try and figure out how to farm in that area back in the 50's. I still have many of their pictures and movies from that time. They even had to build their own house!
I admire you greatly for where you live-it sounds like it is quite the adventure! I can't wait to hear how it goes with the milk cow-talk about adventure!
I'm so glad you found us...I think you're going to fit right in! Welcome!
kate

"You only have what you give...""
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2008 :  6:54:31 PM  Show Profile
Hi from Jersey Connie!How wonderful! It sounds like you have quite the task at hand and smile for it all. Good for you! I am not so much a farmgirl as a farmgirl wannabe...lol. The city life for me, but my daydreams are about country things. :) I look forward to hearing about you and your growing and learning times! Welcome to the forum!
Farmgirl Hugs
Jess

http://crshelpmeet-heartssong.blogspot.com/

Children seldom misquote you. In fact, they usually repeat word for word what you shouldn't have said.

The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and the lightning bug. -- Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2008 :  7:21:15 PM  Show Profile
Welcome, you're going to fit right in here...Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4727 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4727 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2008 :  8:16:50 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Connie! This is a great place to find help and exchange ideas on everything you have going up there in "The Land of the Midnight Sun".

I hope to some day see Alaska. It's on my to visit list!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2008 :  10:24:31 PM  Show Profile
Welcome to the group Connie. I have always wanted to someday visit Alaska...what a wonderful adventurous place to farm. It will be fun to hear about your new milk cow too. I love having a family cow!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2008 :  01:42:35 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Connie,
It will be great to learn about how you deal with farming and animals in the Alaska. My Aunt and Uncle use to live near Fairbanks. Moved down to the lower 48 for the kids for a bit and then moved back up there this spring. They love it there.

listening to the quiet moments
Farmgirl #39
www.Quitemoments.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Kelly Wall
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Kelly
Apison TN
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2008 :  12:54:10 PM  Show Profile
Welcome!! Hello from Tennessee! My husband has been to Alaska and says it is so beautiful. Can't wait to hear more from you!
Kelly
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2008 :  2:38:11 PM  Show Profile
Welcome from Arkansas! I would LOVE to live in Alaska..that is one of my dream places but I should probably visit first! To me it is like the last frontier and if I was younger and not afraid of heights I would be on my way!
I watch Men in Trees all the time living vicariously through Marin Frisk and her cabin on the lake there..ahhhh. Please keep us informed as to your ventures there....to me it sounds awesome!

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226
Go to Top of Page

handyam
True Blue Farmgirl

394 Posts

Ada Mae
Greensburg KY.
USA
394 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2008 :  5:23:17 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Connie, Sounds like your family is trying to be as self-sufficient as possible. I admire that. We have a garden, fruit trees, chickens and raise our own beef. Don't have a milk cow though (I know that would be my job--and I don't need another job!!!)
I hope you enjoy your chats with all these wonderful ladies.

www.adasadorableaprons.blogspot.com

This is the day that the Lord has made.
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2008 :  7:09:41 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
thank yo ual for the welcome! i didnt realize till just now that i hadnt subscrbed to this topic!
i would dearly love to see soem of those old pics and movies form the 50s kate! we have only been here 6 yrs. my dad wanted to move here in teh late 50s but my mother wouldnt allow that! she hasnt a bone of fun in her!
sam, we moved here from atalnta ga without seeing it or even knowing a soul except for one guy on the internet!! we had promise of interview for a job and that was it!! had no clue what we were going to find here! we drove up in march after not having driven on snow and ice for 17 yrs! wow was that a trip!! if ya ever drive thru canada and the yukon during the winter months be sure to carry plenty of gas since there is a whole lot of nothing between nowhere lol. our trip took 11 days with an old truck (over 2450,000 miles on it!) pulling a 16 ft trailor, both of which were loaded to the hilt! and i followed behind in my grand prix withthe parrots! neither had snow tires! top speed was 45 miles per hour with hubbys foot buried in the gas pedal!!
carol sue, where are your aunt and uncle now? i am about 30 miles north of fairbanks. peace connie in alaska (who is well and truly addicted to this site already!!!)
Go to Top of Page

farmgirlkate
True Blue Farmgirl

167 Posts

kate
bryan TX
USA
167 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2008 :  7:32:07 PM  Show Profile
I'll have to dig around and see where I put those pictures. it sounds like you guys had a grand adventure just moving up there, muchless anything that's happened since! I don't know what I'm more jealous of (is that correct grammar?), the fact that you live in Alaska or that you got to drive thru the canada and the yukon! Wow!
~katers

"You only have what you give...""

www.xanga.com/k8tthelate
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2008 :  8:38:26 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
kate i hoep someday you can give it a try! the drive is awesome in the summer but so much more so in the winter! i would love to meet you in person! peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2008 :  07:18:19 AM  Show Profile
Connie, I would love to hear more about the "realities" of living in Alaska. It was a youthful dream of mine (and my DH) before either of us were married. Still mine, although I don't talk about it much any more. For awhile there I was fully in to finding out about it as much as possible...even looked at property online, and discussed job opportunities with several different folks. Now, as an "older woman" and still looking at a little one in 3rd grade, I'm thinking I'll be stuck here in the lower 48 till I die. (Then maybe I can get someone to at least ship what's left of me up there....LOL) Maybe you should start your own thread? I haven't been on the site for long but I'll be there are other Alaskans out there who could join in to give us a vision of the "real" Alaska vs "Northern Exposure" (Now, I'm really dating myself eh? :-)

I am grateful. I have enough.
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2008 :  07:43:59 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Hi, Connie. Wow! I'm also looking forward to hearing more about your adventures in Alaska.

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2008 :  08:10:59 AM  Show Profile
a big georgia welcome goes out to you, Karen

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10 http://farmgirlingastyle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Lainey
True Blue Farmgirl

2401 Posts

Elaine
Waco Kentucky
USA
2401 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2008 :  08:02:02 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Connie! That was inspiring, going to Alaska with only the promise of an interview. I love your adventurous spirits and look forward to hearing more about you and your life in beautiful Alaska.

Farmgirl Sister #25

http://countrygirldreams.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2008 :  09:56:11 AM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
thank yuo lainey. i love alaska and love to talk about it so i am certain you will hear lots lol. after i told my mom about moving our cow 3 miles behind the 4wheeler she asked me if i was ever going to do anything "normal"! i told her heck no that would be boring! the entire family thinks i have lost what little i had left of my mind loli wont tell them i am the only "normal" one in the family! peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2008 :  11:41:05 AM  Show Profile
Welcome and I too am excited to hear more - I have also been thinking of leaving my native state of Colorado now that the kids are grown and I am on my own to the wonderful state of Alaska. When I get in this mood I dig out my Northern Exposure CD's and play them all. I have lived in the outdoors my whole life, ran this farm with my two small kids and now I am looking for a new adventure. Please share your adventures and we promise to include you in ours.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic greetings from alaska Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page