campchic
True Blue Farmgirl

312 Posts

Erin
Nebraska
USA
312 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2008 :  11:09:54 AM  Show Profile
Does anyone have any ideas on making grocery sacks? I'm looking for something easy and portable.

Farmgirl #190

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2008 :  11:13:44 AM  Show Profile
I crocheted some using a pattern I found on the internet. Here is the link http://www.nancyscrochet.com/GroceryToteBag.pdf

I am a new crocheter so it took me about 20 hours to make the first one. The second one only about 15. If I made a third I could probably get it below 10 hours. They are "stretchy" and fit tons of stuff!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

campchic
True Blue Farmgirl

312 Posts

Erin
Nebraska
USA
312 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2008 :  11:40:12 AM  Show Profile
I'm not much of a crocheter, but i love to sew.

Farmgirl #190
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2008 :  12:37:49 PM  Show Profile
If you sew one, make the bottom a rectangle of a good size, say 10 by 15. Then you can cut a piece of cardboard to fit, and it will be more stable when you load the car, etc. It also keeps the groceries from mashing into each other. I have also seen, in one of MaryJane's publications, a way to make a bag from laminated photos as the sides stitched together. She sold one that had her photos and farm photos on all sides.

Our grocery store sells really sturdy, grocery-sized washable bags for .99 each and I invested in 5 of them. Well worth it! I could not have made them that inexpensivey.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

Kelly Wall
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Kelly
Apison TN
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2008 :  12:50:01 PM  Show Profile
Everytime you use a reusable grocery sack at Bi Lo a popular grocery store in TN and the Carolinas they give you a 5 cent return, they also cost .99. They pay for themselves when you use them, I don't know if the other retailers give a return or not.
Kelly
Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

JoAnn
Colville Washington
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2008 :  1:43:46 PM  Show Profile
Super One here in Washington gives you a nickel back if you bring it back. JoAnn
Go to Top of Page

YiberryYadeeKarin
True Blue Farmgirl

343 Posts

Karin
Spokane Valley WA
USA
343 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2008 :  2:02:53 PM  Show Profile
In the Spokane-area, Fred Meyer and Yoke's give you five cents back per bag when you bring them (cloth and paper). Cheap old Safeway will only give you three cents! I don't take bags because of the small refund but because I care about the waste of plastic bags. It makes me cringe whenever I see a cart full of plastic bags! Even IF they recycle them, it's not the same. I don't think people realize that there is oil, a finite fossil fuel, in plastic.

For more than two years, you've had to provide your own bags in Australia and they charge you for plastic bags (unless they're outlawed by now). I think if all of the stores would work together and make people pay for plastic bags, everyone would be more willing to bring their own bags. IMHO.

Karin
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2008 :  2:13:53 PM  Show Profile
Publix, my grocery, sells the bags but does not give a 5 cent return!!!! I may just have to speak to the manager! He goes to my church. :)

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

khartquilt
True Blue Farmgirl

1176 Posts

USA
1176 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2008 :  2:25:10 PM  Show Profile
Here is a simple pattern:
http://sewing.about.com/od/bagstotespurseproject/ss/grocerybag.htm
And here is another one:
http://make-it-easy.com/opentot2.html

Have fun.
I love making purses. Check out my blog. I just posted a few I made.

Kathy H
Farmgirl Sister #81
"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world..." (anomymous)
http://khartquilt.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

campchic
True Blue Farmgirl

312 Posts

Erin
Nebraska
USA
312 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2008 :  4:21:46 PM  Show Profile
Kathy
Thanks for the pattern links. Your purses are so cute! How do you get the pockets in them?

Erin

Farmgirl #190
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2008 :  5:21:10 PM  Show Profile
Kathy, your bags are beautiful, and the colors you chose are so lovely. Now, those quilts, they are dazzlers. I am a quilter too, I have a problem getting my quilts finished, so it is very inspiring to look at yours. Are you a hand quilter or a machine quilter? I took a machine quilting class and my foot pedal blew up! I can;t manage those big quilts with my machine,,,, Love the clothes too,,,Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

cinnamongirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1682 Posts

Carrie

Canada
1682 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2008 :  6:15:26 PM  Show Profile
Kathie

Love the purses did u find web sites for those or bought patterns? I need to make me some. I agree fashionable, pretty and useful.
Go to Top of Page

khartquilt
True Blue Farmgirl

1176 Posts

USA
1176 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2008 :  1:16:15 PM  Show Profile
Erin,
First I hope that the sites I posted help with your grocery sack making. If I find more I will send them to you directly. The internet has so many free patterns. I find that just looking at a purse or tote I can figure out how it was constructed.

Second, The purses are all from patterns.
The first and fourth purse patterns were purchased at quilt shows. I am always picking up patterns. Sometimes I forget what I have and end up giving away the extra that I purchased.

The second and third I seen on one of those PBS shows.
Sew up each side to just about the corner. Don't sew up your flaps. I printed them off the web. I believe it was http://www.qnntv.com/aspx/qnn/default.aspx#
When I have some time I will look in my pattern box for the correct pattern name and numbers and the correct web site addresses.

Kathy H
Farmgirl Sister #81
"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world..." (anomymous)
http://khartquilt.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2008 :  1:27:19 PM  Show Profile
I purchased two humungous bags from Land's End. They are made of canvas. I get 12 cents each for the two bags and 6 cents for the rest of my smaller bags. It will take a while to pay for themselves, but well worth the investment. I just have too many of those darned plastic bags. Sometimes I just refuse bags and carry things in my hands. Costco has even said they will allow me to bring my canvas bags in.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

campchic
True Blue Farmgirl

312 Posts

Erin
Nebraska
USA
312 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2008 :  4:43:24 PM  Show Profile
Kathy,
Thanks a bunch! I'll look forward to the links and pattern names.

Erin

Farmgirl #190
Go to Top of Page

cinnamongirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1682 Posts

Carrie

Canada
1682 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2008 :  7:48:03 PM  Show Profile
http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/cr_accessories_purses/article/0,,HGTV_3227_2652891,00.html Check this out all sorts of bags.
Go to Top of Page

Canadian farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Lori
Ontario
Canada
482 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2008 :  07:15:47 AM  Show Profile
For good, strong fabric check out the discounted upholstery fabric table at your fabric shop. There are great deals there, and it's usually nice and wide on big bolts. I have many unique bags I have made this way.

Lori

Farmgirl Sister #183
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2008 :  07:58:23 AM  Show Profile
Erin, not sure if you're a dollar-stretcher, but your local Goodwill or thrift store might have something to offer. If not actual bags, you can "re-purpose" jeans or khaki pants (heavier fabrics) into the fabric for grocery bags. It's kind of fun to recycle something like that, where you join the pieces of fabric together you can quilt it and make something fun plus you can use the pockets for some embellishments. I re-purpose lots of things for smaller projects like bags. If you want to buy new fabric a lightweight canvas is great or denim would probably work great too.

I know you said you don't crochet but someone told me about a crochet pattern using the plastic grocery bags as the "yarn" and you make a shopping bag out of plastic shopping bags! Recycling at its best.

Happy Trails and have fun sewing.
Jami in WA

Okay, so now I have a blog. http://woolyinwashington.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

DeepsouthMamma
True Blue Farmgirl

1454 Posts

Autumn
Southwest Louisiana
USA
1454 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2008 :  11:31:43 AM  Show Profile
I'm butting in cause I wish the store clerks wouldn't look at me so dazed when I want to bag things in my tote!!!!!
They put 2-3 items in and then go right back to the plastic nightmare bags that I'm trying to avoid!
Not wanting to complain I started doing self-check out(at Walmart) but it seems like they would be happy to stuff more in the sturdy bags!!!
OK I'm done and I feel better!!!!!

Blessings,
Autumn
Farmgirl #49
http://simplytoday-autumn.blogspot.com/

Isaiah 40:31
But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2008 :  2:05:17 PM  Show Profile
http://www.greenbaglady.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

campchic
True Blue Farmgirl

312 Posts

Erin
Nebraska
USA
312 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2008 :  10:17:37 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the e-mail. It seems to be a super easy bag to make. I'm off to locate fabric!!

Erin

Farmgirl #190
Go to Top of Page

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2008 :  08:09:36 AM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
I did the reusable bag years ago (70-90's) and had the clerks look at me like I was from another planet. People in other countries have been using baskets and reusable totes for centuries when shopping. I gave it up for a while during my teaching assistant years as I always was looking for the brown paper bag for art projects. But now again I am looking at the reusable bags. Whole foods gives you 10 cents for every bag you reuse, and have moved away from the plastic ones all together. I agree you would think it would be easier to pack a nice sturdy square bag instead of those plastic one where you just throw the items in. OH, That may be it! They no longer pack bags nicely, they throw the items in. We used to teach our baggers how to bag when I was a store owner (In the 80-90's) even had contests statewide and regionally on who was the best packer. How life has changed. Everyone must think I am moving backwards as I live my simple life.

http://www.bboopster.blogspot.com
3 Blue Star Mother and Proud of it!
Pray for our troops to come home safe and soon.
Enjoying the road to the simple life :>)
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2008 :  09:39:22 AM  Show Profile
I've made 6 bags out of old pillow cases, shams, canvas work shirts, etc. in about a day. super easy, and it's just a bag, so it's good sewing practice for me, the amatuer seamstress.
Go to Top of Page

campchic
True Blue Farmgirl

312 Posts

Erin
Nebraska
USA
312 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2008 :  12:56:16 PM  Show Profile
How many bags do you get out of the pillow cases? I'm excited to get started on these. Can't wait to get the pattern either!

Erin

Farmgirl #190
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2008 :  07:13:17 AM  Show Profile
As an aside, when visiting Ireland on my honeymoon we were charged .50 cents for each grocery bag at the check-out and obviously we didn't haul along shopping bags on our trip, so had to pay it. We kept those bags for the rest of our trip and reused them. This was years ago. It would be nice if we got away from the plastics here. If I have too many groceries for my totes, I always request paper...they hold more and I tend to reuse them a lot for all sorts of things.

Jami in WA

Okay, so now I have a blog. http://woolyinwashington.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2008 :  08:36:19 AM  Show Profile
I got one regular sized light weight one and one smaller one. And I'm keeping in mind that these dont have to only be used for groceries, so their strength can vary. I had this king size dust ruffle that was almost a canvas type material, and I got 6 regular size bags and 3 smaller bags. I'll post a picture later.

I forgot to mention...when I was in Walmart(i know shame on me) on friday doing my grocery shopping, I was going to ask how much their bags were, and they were only a dollar a piece, but they are made in china, and if we are really avoiding plastic to make our carbon footprint a bit smaller and do our part to save the planet, why would we buy something so worthless that had to be flow thousands of miles, when we could have made it in the first place.

So if you don't sew, and just want to buy a few bags, like beach bags or the like, please check to see where they came from, because if they are imported, it probably doesnt even make a difference.
Buy american made!

Edited by - MsCwick on Jun 23 2008 08:39:45 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Grocery sacks Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page