Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2008 :  10:51:00 AM  Show Profile
Alrighty--so this lovely rental I've just got is a bungalow, my guess is it was built around the late 1920s.

The bathroom is the room I want to build off the original theme the most when I decorate, since it has the classic pedestal sink and clawfoot tub in it.

Any ideas or suggestions for decorating with this? I think I'm going to do white and burgundy for the colors...

~Jodi

"Women are like teabags...you never know how strong they are until they get into hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2008 :  11:10:03 AM  Show Profile
jodi,
I typed in on GOOGLE. "1920'S DECORATING IDEAS" lots of sites came up. Maybe that would help.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2008 :  11:28:39 AM  Show Profile
Well, if it's a bungalow (like an Arts and Crafts era bungalow), I would stick with simple, clean lines, and very simple, not busy decoration. Depending on the type of bungalow (asian inspired, california, or prairie), I'd think you'd want to go with that frame of reference.

Here is a link to Sherwin Williams deco colors from that era...this may give you a better idea of what to do colorwise. The colors were softer, but if you love burgandy, go with that. http://www.sherwin-williams.com/do_it_yourself/paint_colors/paint_color_palette/color_themes/interior/int_streamlined/

If there is a great deal of natural wood (not painted), then I would stick with earthy colors, mustards and greens. The arts and crafts era was a backlash to heavy victorian color schemes and busy patterns. If there's a cottagy feel to the bungalow (like mine), where most of the wood has been painted, you have a little more freedom. We have oddly hued greens (pineapple sage) and dove greys, and ochre colors throughout. Very peaceful, but still light.

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic 1920s/30s Decorating!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page