Author HomeSafeHome:  Dryer Lint Next Topic
Page: of 2

tempestastrali
True Blue Farmgirl

71 Posts

magdelina
mississippi
71 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  01:37:15 AM  Show Profile  Send tempestastrali an AOL message
There are so many great uses for dryer lint, if you aren't reusing yours, you should start!
Not only can you use it in some composters, it makes a great little nest for a small pet like a mouse, hampster, or guinea pig.
Some people stuff pillows and quilts with it.
You can find a lot of recipes on the 'net for making clays and paper mache for your arts and crafts projects.
It makes an excellent firestarter, take it backpacking or camping with you! - pour some candle wax into your lint ball and stuff a small container (like a film canister or small tupperware) full of it. With the wax in it, it will burn long enough to get some kindling started. Lint can also be used in homemade candles to keep them burning good.
And of course, you can always just put it in tree branches and such so the birds can have some cozy nesting materials, from your home to theirs *^_^*

Any other ideas?

"How strange that Nature does not knock, and yet does not intrude!" ~Emily Dickinson

lacisne88
True Blue Farmgirl

1181 Posts

Chelsey
Lake Stevens Washington
USA
1181 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  02:52:36 AM  Show Profile
Thank you so muh for all of these ideas! I knew about the composting aspect but had never thought about the others...how great!

Chelsey
Farmgirl Sister #283

http://farmgirlpleasures.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  07:45:15 AM  Show Profile
Pincushion stuffing, that's my plan.

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

tempestastrali
True Blue Farmgirl

71 Posts

magdelina
mississippi
71 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  10:29:53 AM  Show Profile  Send tempestastrali an AOL message
Pin cushions, awesome! I hope more people will post ideas, I know there has to be millions of things to do with dryer lint! Check this out for a giggle:
http://www.studiocapezzuti.com/lint/artist_statement.htm

"How strange that Nature does not knock, and yet does not intrude!" Emily Dickinson
"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." ~ ~Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2133 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2133 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2008 :  3:13:50 PM  Show Profile
It can also be felted.

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

Claude09647
True Blue Farmgirl

761 Posts

Claudia
Our Dairy Farm Pennsylvania
USA
761 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2009 :  12:32:48 PM  Show Profile  Send Claude09647 an AOL message
What a great idea! I had never though of using it as stuffing material!! I make small stuffed bears and that would be a great way to cut down on costs!

"If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door."
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2009 :  12:57:05 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Interesting. I have heard of some of those ideas before. I don't save mine because it is usually large amounts of dog hair though.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2009 :  12:59:58 PM  Show Profile
I usually just put mine out for the birds...especially with all the dog/cat hair, I don't think I'd use mine for anything real special :)

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1609 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1609 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2009 :  1:03:24 PM  Show Profile
Great ideas. I like the stuffing ideas. I crosstitch small christmas ornaments and that would be ideal stuffing. I have left them for my birds.
Laurie

suburban countrygirl at heart
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2009 :  2:07:52 PM  Show Profile
I have heard that it isnt suggested for stuffing because it is so highly flamable.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

LynnMarie
True Blue Farmgirl

612 Posts

Lynn
Staunton IL
USA
612 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2009 :  2:15:59 PM  Show Profile  Send LynnMarie a Yahoo! Message
Make sure the lint you use for fire starters is cotton and not from a fabric blend. I learned the hard way; had way to many chimney fires one year until it dawned on me what was causing it.

LynnMarie

Bringing the Past Back to Life
www.freewebs.com/decampsettlement

"You may never know what results come from your action. But, if you do nothing, there will be no results" -Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

katalind
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

Kathy
Chapin SC
USA
177 Posts

Posted - May 23 2010 :  09:22:55 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the great idea! You just saved a lot of people some money from having to but stuffing for projects.
Go to Top of Page

patchworkpeace
True Blue Farmgirl

478 Posts

Judy
Jackson Michigan
USA
478 Posts

Posted - May 31 2010 :  05:40:19 AM  Show Profile
Great ideas, thanks for sharing! Mine has a lot of cat hair in it, so we just use it for composting. I never thought of using it for stuffing. It would be great for stuffing cat toys. Also, for the right kind of stuffed doll/toy, maybe it could be braided or tacked down some way and used for hair?

Judy

Success is measured not by the position one reaches but by the obstacles one has to overcome to reach it. Booker T. Washington
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - May 31 2010 :  06:02:19 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the ideas, I have put it out for the animals to use as needed. Went to the lint creation site, pretty cool. Just for kicks we should all try making a creation and see what we all come up with.

Hugs, Brenda

"What lies behind us, and what lies before us are small matter compared to what lies within us."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Seek reasons to Love..In every sigment of everyday-look for something that brings forth within you a feeling of Love-Abraham Hicks
Go to Top of Page

cgonyer
True Blue Farmgirl

220 Posts

Cindy
Petersburg MI
USA
220 Posts

Posted - May 31 2010 :  06:39:46 AM  Show Profile
Great idea - putting it out for the animals to use. Thanks!

~Cindy
Farmgirl #1273
Go to Top of Page

Grammygail
True Blue Farmgirl

172 Posts

Gail
Chattanooga Tennessee
USA
172 Posts

Posted - May 31 2010 :  07:13:10 AM  Show Profile
My dryer lint has been filling up the garbage can:( Thank you Farmgirl Sisters for all of the neat ideas!! We live next to a heavily wooded lot

and it is just full of all kinds of birds. I love spotting their nest. I can't wait to share some "building material" with them!!!

Farmgirl Sister #61
Gail
Go to Top of Page

Diane B Carter
True Blue Farmgirl

1270 Posts

Diane
Blasdell N.Y.
USA
1270 Posts

Posted - May 31 2010 :  07:37:24 AM  Show Profile
I put my dryer lint in my empty toilet rolls then use it to start campfires.

Hope all your days are Sunnydays.
dianebcarterhotmailcom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

brandyanne
True Blue Farmgirl

81 Posts

Debra

81 Posts

Posted - May 31 2010 :  10:33:43 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for all of the great tips!!
See Our Latest Tutu @

http://fairiesflowersandfireflys.blogspot.com

Newest Scent
- Brown Sugar Pecan
http://brandyannessoycandles.blogspot.com

Newest Scent - New England Colonial Kitchen
http://oldesaltboxscents.blogspot.com

http://pilgrimsandpioneersprimitives.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

knead2garden
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Ashley
Spring City TN
USA
359 Posts

Posted - May 31 2010 :  11:16:03 AM  Show Profile
Man, I never ever thought of composting it!! That is something I will start today. Doing laundry as we speak....

~Ashley

"In the end we will conserve only what we love; we will love only what we understand; and we will understand only what we have been taught." -Baba Dioum
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2010 :  03:56:53 AM  Show Profile
I never thought of composting it, either - cool! I make firestarters (the lint/egg carton/parrafin-type) in the winter, but why did I not think of making them for camping, either? AND, I'll be sure to use cotton lint for it (thanks for the info!). Summer is clothesline time around here, but I've had a little family rebellion over "crunchy" towels, so I'll be doing a few dryer loads, too. Oh - and the lint creations? How totally funny!!!!

XOXO, Libbie

"Farmgirl Sister #10," and proud of it!!!
Go to Top of Page

Darcy
Farmgirl in Training

29 Posts

Darcy
Washington
29 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2010 :  7:28:19 PM  Show Profile
I have found that the first thing to go into the paper kitchen trash is the latest batch of dryer lint from the collection container I use. It will absorb any liquids or grease that gets poured in the trash as it cannot go down the drain. Keeps the bag from getting greasy wet and breaking open when it goes out for collection.
Go to Top of Page

duckmama
True Blue Farmgirl

54 Posts

Robin
Minnesota
USA
54 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2010 :  3:04:43 PM  Show Profile
My boys have long used it with their flint and steel to start fires. They have awed many scout leaders and always say their mom taught them. They grew up carrying it in a ziplock with flint and steel in their back packs. After a few years living in a three room log cabin, with only wood for heat and cooking, it was a skill they all mastered. The firestarting skill in scouting penalizes for each additional match you use after the first. All three boys got bonus points for no matches.

Duckmama

Driven 2 Distraction

Designing Green
Living Green
Go to Top of Page

Hallie
Video Sister

79 Posts

Hallie
Pullman WA
USA
79 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2010 :  4:26:26 PM  Show Profile
I would love to be able to start my campfire with only one match. I like to joke that the first two are for kindling!

I'll have to make some lint starters for next time.

quote:
Originally posted by duckmama

My boys have long used it with their flint and steel to start fires. <snipped>... The firestarting skill in scouting penalizes for each additional match you use after the first. All three boys got bonus points for no matches.

Duckmama

Driven 2 Distraction

Designing Green
Living Green

Cheers!
Hallie

Sister #1112
www.maryjanesfarm.tv
Go to Top of Page

Hallie
Video Sister

79 Posts

Hallie
Pullman WA
USA
79 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2010 :  4:34:57 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by tempestastrali

Pin cushions, awesome! I hope more people will post ideas, I know there has to be millions of things to do with dryer lint! Check this out for a giggle:
http://www.studiocapezzuti.com/lint/artist_statement.htm
"How strange that Nature does not knock, and yet does not intrude!" Emily Dickinson
"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." ~ ~Kahlil Gibran

The dryer lint art is pretty amazing. I wonder if anyone else has considered trying something along those lines...?

Hallie
Sister #1112
www.maryjanesfarm.tv
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2011 :  10:26:10 PM  Show Profile
Dryer lint is also great to put in your compost, as is the stuff from your vacuum.....also can use them in sachets with fragrance for your drawers & closets...seems to hold the scent for a long time....Michele'

The Old Batz Farm
Go to Top of Page

FourSeasons
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

Melissa
Lizton Indiana
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2011 :  11:01:17 AM  Show Profile
We now save all our dryer lint..put it paper towel cardboard rolls and use for fire starter. My son's gerbil enjoys it too. Another fire starter....all that personal paper or junk mail that needs to be shredded....let the kids shred it and we keep in a paper bag and put in the camper.

One day at a time!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 HomeSafeHome:  Dryer Lint Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page