lilyblossom
True Blue Farmgirl

416 Posts

Donna
Evansville IN
USA
416 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2008 :  2:31:18 PM  Show Profile
Ladies, I purchased my first rifle today. Hubby and I went to a gun shop in KY called Whittaker's. Seems this place is well known throughout the south...license plates on vehicles from several different states.

I was able to look, touch and feel every brand of youth gun I could think of. Hubby had already checked out prices and had selected one he thought I should get. But, I firmly stood my ground and selected a Ruger Frontier. It was the shortest gun in length and it isn't a long reach to the trigger for me.

Now I'm looking forward to going to the farm tomorrow so I can start sighting it in and getting use to the feel before deer season begins.

Happy hunting!

Donna...true blue KY farmgirl, farmgirl #86

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2008 :  8:19:52 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
congratulations! what caliber is that? i havent seen one of those here. peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2008 :  10:23:38 PM  Show Profile
How fun!! I havn't seen a Ruger Frontier that I know of...I wonder what caliber it is too...but Ruger is certainly good! Have fun sighting it in!!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

lilyblossom
True Blue Farmgirl

416 Posts

Donna
Evansville IN
USA
416 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2008 :  03:53:25 AM  Show Profile
It's a 7mm - 008. Hubby was on line checking prices for some new ammo that is suppose to low recoil made especially for youth and women. Luckily he has a scope that will fit it and was working on getting it mounted last night.

Donna...true blue KY farmgirl, farmgirl #86
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2008 :  07:23:58 AM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
i dearly love my 7mm-08! it the remington model 7. i use fairly hot loads (hand loaded) because i am hunting big game (takes alot to take down a moose! lol) when we buy ready made its usually remington express core lock or or federal express (when i can find it!). i havent found any of them to be too much recoil with this little darling! just gotta remember to hug it up tight *grin* i have some pretty big health/pain issues and it doesnt make me flare up unless i shoot too much at one time. i know you are sooooo gonna enjoy it!
peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

jenbove

320 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2008 :  10:55:57 AM  Show Profile
Congratulations, Donna! Thanks for blazing the trail for those of us who haven't gone out and gotten our own guns yet. You've certainly got me thinking about it. Let us know how she shoots!

Jen

GOT A "WILD HAIR"?
COME VISIT MARYJANE'S OUTPOST!

www.maryjanesoutpost.com

Farmgirl Sisterhood Member # 9

My Blog: The View From My Boots
www.bovesboots.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Outpost: Previous Topic First Rifle Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: