Carol
Moderator/MaryJane's Design Diva

452 Posts

Carol
Moscow Idaho
USA
452 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2005 :  11:25:00 AM  Show Profile
You asked for an herb forum - a place to talk about growing herbs, making things with herbs, using herbs as tools for healing, cooking with herbs, and more. So start posting ... we can't wait to see what you come up with! But please keep in mind that while suggesting herbal remedies for minor complaints is okay, unqualified casual diagnosis and prescibing is not.

Feel free to copy and paste the following disclaimer into any of your posts on this forum. Also keep it in mind when you're posting anything about herbal remedies.

(Keep in mind that this forum is intended for informational purposes only and is not a substitute for the advice of a qualified healthcare professional.)

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2005 :  12:07:17 PM  Show Profile
Herbal Wisdom is a huge and complex topic ...It goes back to the ancient times of civilization. just my two cents...but I think it can be broken down to medicinal, beauty, spiritual/religous/ceremonial, culinary/preserving/ enhancing one's environment and mood...maybe BEB can help here...I do know herbs got lotsa innocent women in trouble during the witch hunting days...even a midwife could get toasted on a tree for using some herbal remedies to relieve a laboring mother. I think women and herbs go together, because women are natural healers and nuturers. I'll be digging out my dusty old herbales too and see what tips and cool stuff I can come up with...I know there are lots of farmgirls out there that use them and enjoy them too! Don't be shy girls...the witch huntin days are long gone!!!Actually, I think the medicinal uses are kind of a drag...our health care professionals are paid to do thatbesides culinary, spiritual, historical, beauty and home enhancement is more exciting!

If I keep a green bough in my heart, the singing bird will come.

Edited by - MeadowLark on Nov 18 2005 12:35:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2005 :  12:48:29 PM  Show Profile
Carol,
Well said.
Couldnt have said it better mahself!!
There are so many tiny nuances in a person's constitution it would be unwise to try to suggest some of the more serious medicinals in such a one dimensional setting as this.
However, this girls' gotz plenty of great ideas "brewing" for future herbal wisdom topics.
yahooey!

www.feedsackfarmgirls.blogspot.com
www.farmatcoventry.com
"If more of us valued good food, cheer and song above hoarded gold,the world would be a merrier place."
J.J.R.Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2005 :  12:49:16 PM  Show Profile
Well put Meadowlark, but I have a disagree with you when you said the medicinal uses are a drag. I would rather use a herb than take a prescribtion drug, I trust them more, even though most modern day drugs are derived from herbs. When I contacted Lymes Disease 5 years ago, I was on antibotics for 6 weeks along with a prescribtion pain killer. I was out of it! Then other ailments began to appear, and I wasn't feeling any better so I did some research on the web and I was hooked on herbs for life! I stopped the pain killer and did finish the antibotic but from that more ailments came. I felt like a magnet for anything ill related. Since then, I keep my immune system strong with herbs, I have a daily regimen of herbs that I take, and I havent' been sick since! My battle now is a circulation problem in my legs from the Lymes, but I take natural products that the body needs but doesn't get enough of and I exercise, it helps.
I realize this isn't for everyone but it does work for me. Herbs and medicine go hand in hand, even more so than culinary. But I dabble in just about every use for herbs, they are apart of my life and I respect them, I'm grateful for their help.

" Age is mind over matter, if you don't mind, it dont' matter"

www.countrypleasures.motime.com
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2005 :  1:54:40 PM  Show Profile
I just prefer to study the other stuff about herbs....I have always been a huge boring history buffI have actually looked up some herbs for medicinal use...but I ALWAYS check with my physician and take the remedies in for her/him to look at and get their feedback on...Besides give me an herbal face cream that'll make me look 30 again and that will get my attention!

Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2005 :  05:32:38 AM  Show Profile
"...Besides give me an herbal face cream that'll make me look 30 again and that will get my attention..."

..I'm tryin', I'm tryin!...

Lorij,
You are on the very first thread (What is Herbal Wisdom?) of the Herbal Wisdom Forum.There are a few more topics that started yesterday under the same forum.
BEB

www.feedsackfarmgirls.blogspot.com
www.farmatcoventry.com
"If more of us valued good food, cheer and song above hoarded gold,the world would be a merrier place."
J.J.R.Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2005 :  05:45:33 AM  Show Profile
Hey Sue, You go girl! I didn't run to my Dr. for help on my stiff neck and cold for daughter I ordered some herbal stuff from BEB! I am also anticipating the arrival of her herbal teas and immune broth loaded with herbs...prescription meds scare the bee jeebers out of me too..just common sense. Although I did have to take meds for my jaw infection recently....the pain was excruciating and if the bugs went to my heart I'd be pushing up pretty prairie sage and daisies now.

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2005 :  09:56:34 AM  Show Profile
"Tussie Mussies" .. simply an olde-fashioned title for small nosegays of aromatic herbs and flowers. During medieval times, these little bouquets consisted of strongly scented herbs such as rosemary and thyme to mask unpleasant street ordors .. and these were even carried when gathering socially to keep one from 'fainting' from the body odors of other guests (as baths were much rarer occasions than they are today) ... and in time, these sweet little bundles of flowers and herbs took on a more romantic status. As was Turkish custom, herbs and flowers were assigned a meaning. Roses stood for love, sage for health, lemon verbna for enchantment, marjoram for blushes, etc. etc. As time marched on, gifts of small 'tussie-mussies' were bestowed on friends (and even ocassionally foes) .. to impart a message of love or fidelity or sorrow or forgiveness .. and also sometimes a 'warning'!

The 'tussie-mussie' was a originally a small flower holder worn over the heart by ladies of England and France. With the age of Queen Victoria and seemingly modesty among ladies, it became less 'polite' to overwhelm a lady with 'spoken terms of endearment ... and these little bouquets became a 'gentler' way of expressing emotions.

A fond memory i have is of the 'tea parties' i presented for women when we lived 'up nawth' .. and several times, i gathered together bits of vintage lace (or beautiful paper doilies if i had a large group of ladies) .. roses from my sister's garden, baby's breath and various other herbs and delicate flowers from a friend's herb and flower farm .. and streamers of silk ribbons and put them together in a 'kit' form (in gathering baskets) .. and we all created our own personal tussie mussies .. and i loved how varied they all came out at the end.
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2005 :  10:03:08 AM  Show Profile
Swags and Garlands: Swags and garlands are variations on the wreath. These beautiful and varied garlands should not just be relegated to holiday seasons of greenery on mantels and over pictures and windowframes. In additon to these, places, run them along chair rails, shelves, the tops of cabinets, or juist beneath the ceiling where they become a clever 'mock molding'. To welcome guests to your home, hang them over a doorway. They can even replace curtains in a 'country window' and the sunlight streaming through not only gives them a beauty but will often warm up the herbs and give off a lovely scent.

The fresh herbs, flowers, fruits, veggies, etc. etc. that you can use to create your garlands are just about endless! Your 'base can be twin, wire, jute, sea grass, rafia, fabric and a myriad of other materials!

I dry apples, oranges and other fruits and vegetables for stringing into garlands .. i dry herbs and flowers to hang among them too. Nuts can be drilled and threaded along with cranberries. Your garlands can be lush or simple .. the simple ones are my favorites as they allow each and every thing i have strung show off it's own glory. xo, frannie
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2005 :  10:08:40 AM  Show Profile
Lavendar Wands ... i made my very first lavendar wands at a friend's flower and herb shoppe ... a mystically enchanting woman who you were sure was an angel dropped from the sky! She offered delightful classes at her farm .. and i often took friends to these classes as a treat for their birthday. Although i adore the aroma of lavendar, it personally gives me a headache (as do all perfumy odors) when i am overwhelmed by the smell) but in the limited use of these little lavendar wands .. they were fine for putting on the dresser tables in a guest room .. on the pillows as a little gift or hung from the bedpost. I do have instuctions for making these sweet little offerings if anyone would like for me to post it, just let me know. frannie
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2005 :  10:11:17 AM  Show Profile
Christmas Simmering PotPourii:
(Let this simmer on the back of the stove to fill
your house with the inviting scents of the holidays.

1 cup bay leaves, crumbled
4 fresh or dried rosemary sprigs
Six 3-inch cinnamon sticks
6 cloves
Rind of 1 orange

Place all ingredients in a saucepan with 4 cups of water and bring to a boil. Turn the heat down and allow the potpourri to simmer on the back of the stove. Check frequently to make sure the water has not evaporated, adding more as needed.

I especially like the above recipe .. as all ingredients are easily attainable. Frannie
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2005 :  10:16:49 AM  Show Profile
Small Christmas Candles:

i have made these for holiday dinners as a little gift for each guest .. i sit them by their dinner plate .. lit for our dinner .. and gift them an additional small bag of votive candles wrapped in red netting and tied with a green velvet bow:

supplies:

glass votive holder
small votive candles (scented or non-scented)
whole bay leaves
red velvet ribbon

Insert the votive candle into the votive class.
Encircle the glass with bay leaves (you can gently glue them side by side .. overlapping each bay leaf a little over the last one). Tie an appropriate size red velvet bow around the glass and bay leaves. The heat of the flame releases the bay's spicy frangrance.

Additional supplies:
extra votive candles
red netting
green velvet ribbon

this makes a lovely 'memory gift' from a happy holiday spent with friends and family. Frannie
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2005 :  10:23:13 AM  Show Profile
Scented Beeswax Ornaments:

This is a recipe i found years ago in one of my many 'herbs and flowers' books. And a little basket full of these -- gaily wrapped -- makes a sweet gift. If you have a small tree, you can decorate them with these alone or add small velvet ribbons.

1 pound beeswax
2 tablespoons scented oil of your choice
wicking or string
Tin candy molds in Christmas shapes

Place the beeswax in an old coffee can and set it in a pan of water or on top of a thick warming plate over a low flame.
Allow the wax to melt slowly.
While it is melting, oil the molds lightly with vegetable oil and set aside in a warm place.
Cut the wick or string in pieces long enough to form a loop at the top of the ornament for hanging.
Dip the ends of the wick in the melted wax and set on wax paper, pushing the ends together to form a loop.
When the wax has melted, stir in the oils and pour the scented wax into the molds using a funnel.
Insert the waxed ends of a loop at the top of each molde and place them in a warm place to set.
Gently turn the ornmanets out when they have hardened.

(I have made the quite a few times .. and have never actually used the 'funnel' to pour the wax into the mold. I do this slowly and carefully, and have never found a problem with it). These are easy to make and are a charming gift. Invite a few friends over and make lots of them!

Frannie

Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2005 :  12:51:24 PM  Show Profile
I love EO's ! I use lavender oil in my bath everynight and I sleep like a baby! Lavender is my all time favorite! I'll have to check into oils for circulation too. I'm with you Meadowlark, if we ran to the doctor everytime we had a ache or pain, not only would they get richer, but our poor bodies would suffer! Prevention is the cure in my home too!

" Age is mind over matter, if you don't mind, it dont' matter"

www.countrypleasures.motime.com
Go to Top of Page

Terre
True Blue Farmgirl

97 Posts

Indiana
USA
97 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2006 :  06:02:07 AM  Show Profile
Thank-you all for the great suggestions. They are so much fun reading! I grew up in the "folkways" and somehow ended up a nurse now. I have a great respect for herbal remedies and still use some of the ones I grew up with. However, for safety ---some herbal products that are ingested (even those in tea) can interact with prescription medicines so you need to ask your nurse or doctor if you are using both. Enjoy but stay safe!

Be true in heart.
Go to Top of Page

simplegirl
Farmgirl in Training

44 Posts

Teresa
OR
USA
44 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2006 :  4:40:32 PM  Show Profile
Frannie-Thanks for posting all these neat things about herbs! I would love to learn how to make a lavendar wand, lavendar is my favorite herb.

I grow and use what I can and purchase the rest online or get from friends. I am all about trying herbs first then going to the doctor if I need to. There are many books that talk about specific herbs, their uses and contraindications.

Thanks for all the info everyone!

Until you make peace with who you are, you'll never be content with what you have. ~Doris Mortman
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2006 :  06:00:51 AM  Show Profile
Frannie,

I too would like to learn to make lavendar wands...please post when you have time!

Jo
Go to Top of Page

lmillward
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

Lorie
Riverton UT
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2007 :  7:52:10 PM  Show Profile
I think "Herbal Wisdom" is simply the understanding that every plant has a use for something. sometimes, it may be just to gladden the heart and please the eye- but generally those qualities are just a front for medicinal, culinary, and cleansing uses. I work with a scientist who studies the complexities of plant fragances- she literally gets to "smell the roses" as a career! I have been cultivating herbs for most of my life and am still learning uses for them!

Wonder, explore, learn, love... act!
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17024 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17024 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2007 :  8:22:37 PM  Show Profile
Lorie,
what a wonderful comment you posted about Herbal Wisdom...
I love lavender and all it's wonderful uses. Where I use to live (back in California) I had the most wonderul lavender plants and could literaly cut fresh lavender everyday. I loved tucking a few sprigs in with the bow on gifts. I would harvest lavender buds, mint leaves & geranium petals and make tea with them. I so miss my garden but I will be looking forward to challenging my garden skills up here in Washington. I know lavender does grow up here, but unlike Calif., the lavender has to be "put to bed" for the winter.
I just subscribed to "The Herb Companion" magazine to keep me busy till spring...

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
Sisters on the Fly#472
www.katmom4.blogspot.com
mjf #72

Edited by - katmom on Dec 04 2007 8:24:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

lmillward
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

Lorie
Riverton UT
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2007 :  1:27:58 PM  Show Profile
Hey Katmom! have you tried sprinkling a few dried lavender flowers into your chicken or fish? It is really yummy and a fun way to use it. It is actually a really nice companion with sage (or anything else from the mint family) in cooking. Here in northern Utah I have fresh lavender from about april to september. this year was so hot and dry that I had a second bloom in november!
Lorie

Wonder, explore, learn, love... act!
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17024 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17024 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2007 :  9:09:22 PM  Show Profile
awesome idea about the lavender in fish & chicken....thanx
hope we get a hot summer this coming year so I can get my lavender plants in the ground & rooted.
ahh! I can almost smell them now!

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
mjf#72
Sisters on the Fly#472
www.katmom4.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Patty MorningRamble
True Blue Farmgirl

65 Posts

Patty
Keene TX
USA
65 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2007 :  07:37:39 AM  Show Profile
I am a master herbalist and would love to see more chat about healing with herbs. I wildcraft many of my herbs from my own land, such as shepherds purse for bleeding, not only for humans but for on hand when trimming goat hooves etc. We have lots of mullein growing which we use in winter for coughs and the flowers put in olive oil for ear aches.

http://morningramble.blogspot.com/
http://morningramblegifts.com/
Go to Top of Page

Wildcrafter
True Blue Farmgirl

340 Posts

Suzanne
Seattle WA
USA
340 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2008 :  6:48:25 PM  Show Profile
This is from my website and what I think about herbal wisdom:

In the folklore of many cultures, herbs were hung in the windows and strewn on the floor to protect families from sickness. Before the existence of bacteria and viruses was discovered, illness and disease was blamed on evil spirits, the devil and witchcraft. But what we know now is that the herbs that were hung or strewn on the floor had medicinal properties. They helped repel fleas and flies and clear the rooms of bacteria.

Our grandmothers and great grandmothers used herbs and wild plants in everyday life. Their food was their medicine. When my Dad was young, my Great Grandmother would send him out to gather dandelions in the spring to be cooked with onions, garlic and bacon grease. Dandelions are a primo liver healer and just the thing to "spring clean" a body after heavy foods eaten in the winter. Sage, oregano, parsley, thyme, chives, garlic, rosemary are used in cooking to nourish and heal us. Many of the culinary herbs commonly used are medicinal - anti-fungal, anti-viral and antibacterial. Folks can use herbs and wild plants in extremely easy ways for nourishment and healing.

When you go to the plant, where it lives, it teaches you about its life, where it grows, who it grows on/with, what insects and animals it attracts to spread its pollen. The plants talk all the time. When you look at a plant's shape, color, markings and where it grows, it's telling you about its medicinal properties.

My main purpose of my apprenticeships is to teach students to use herbs just as I was taught - by growing, harvesting, eating and healing with herbs as a part of their daily lives.

Learn to incorporate wild plants into your everyday life!

When learning about herbs, a common mistake people make is feeling they need to know hundreds of plants for hundreds of maladies. This can be overwhelming and may stop a person from using any herb at all! In addition, with the "wealth" of information on the Net, it is so easy to get confused about the uses of herbs when one source says one thing about a plant and another source says something completely opposite. What to believe? Most people don't have the time to learn about hundreds of plants. Knowing well a few herbs can really help improve a person's life immensely.

This is where an apprenticeship is so valuable. The beauty of an apprenticeship with Suzanne is that she is first and foremost a Wildcrafter. That means that you will travel to many habitats and environments and meet with plants face to face on their "turf," as it were. This can happen in the wild, in a garden and visiting an organic farm. Getting acquainted with the plants is of utmost importance; who they are, where they live and who they live with, how to harvest the right part of the plant at the right time of its season and then make it into something that can be added to everyday life. Thus begins a journey towards having a relationship with plants.

Roses are red, Violets are blue; But they don't get around Like the dandelions do.
Slim Acres
www.goodnaturedearthling.com

Edited by - Wildcrafter on Sep 01 2008 6:50:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2008 :  7:32:57 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Suzanne- That is a great post! I love the information and the images!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2008 :  6:57:55 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
That is a great post. A shame this herb area isn't more used. We'll have to work on that. Also for anyones infor, check out the thread: Danger of Extinction, we are starting a new chapter called the MJ's Heirloom Mavens, dedicated to the preservation and education about heirloom seeds/plants.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2008 :  08:28:18 AM  Show Profile
I have so enjoyed reading everything here. I love lavender and would like to use herbs more. I especially like using them instead of prescription meds. I hate all the drugs available out there and all their crazy side effects.
Ruth

Living the farm life in my heart.
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Ruth
http://farmgirlinmyheart.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic **What is Herbal Wisdom? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page