Author Holidays: Previous Topic Farmgirl Tree Trimming Next Topic  

Yogifarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

297 Posts

Jenn
Swiftwater PA
USA
297 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2005 :  10:18:47 AM  Show Profile  Send Yogifarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Anyone have any ideas for decorating the christmas tree. Would like to keep it simple and rustic this year. Anyone ever string cranberries? How do you do it and how long do they keep?

Happy Holidays

"Breathe in the Sunshine"

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2005 :  10:29:33 AM  Show Profile
Jenn -- I have done cranberries and popcorn before. They sure make for a pretty tree but takes a while to do the stringing. The cranberries will last quite a while. They just dry on the tree and are actually much prettier when dried.

I saw the prettiest tree on an HGTV show the other day. They put on the lights, then tucked dried hydrangea blossoms into the branches. Finishes with a grapevine garland. It was simple and pretty.

The only place that success comes before work is in the dictionary!
http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/

Edited by - therusticcottage on Dec 04 2005 10:30:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

Yogifarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

297 Posts

Jenn
Swiftwater PA
USA
297 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2005 :  10:52:53 AM  Show Profile  Send Yogifarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Do you string them on sewing thread?
The grapevine garland would be so pretty, I have to check the craft shop! Thanks

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2005 :  11:10:01 AM  Show Profile
when I have strung cranberries, popcorn, rose hips or crab apples (my tree has the tiniest ones!!) I use dental floss. Sewing thread seems to break too easily..maybe it would work for the popcorn but the others get a little heavy for it.

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette
Go to Top of Page

Mari-dahlia
True Blue Farmgirl

269 Posts

Marianne
Hoosick Falls New York
USA
269 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2005 :  5:04:07 PM  Show Profile
I have strung cranberries before and killed my hands. I needed a fair amount of strength and my fingers hurt when I was done. I have just finished my kitchen tree this year and it has a candy theme. So I have candy garland and gum drops etc. It doesn't work if you have animals in the house.

I have also done a tree before using only natural things. Pinecones, acorns, chesnuts, walnuts halved and whole etc. I then dipped them in gold, silver and copper paints. Tiny little arrangements can be made in milkweed pods or halved walnuts, with dried flowers, grasses and berries.

I one year made a variation on the cookie ornament by making the cookie cutouts with dough that you cook and dry, then paint with scandinavian type design and spray with lacquer. I still have some of them left from 20 years ago.
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2005 :  7:33:49 PM  Show Profile
Jenn .. here are a few ideas .. some are more 'natural' than others .. but all are fun. paper chains .. if you get some muted 'country colors' .. and involve the kids .. that can be a fun garland. (you can also use some primitive ribbons to make the little chains out of). some years i have tucked in vintage christmas cards .. lots of them .. that makes for a very interesting tree that people like to look at closely. one year i had a 'doll tree' .. i filled it full of vintage dollies from my own childhood, those i had bought for my collection and my daughter's dolls. for a garland .. i made those little folded paper dolly cutout strings.

little wooden house, small sheep and other 'barnyard' animals makes for a sweet country tree too.

candy bags .. a bunch of us girlfriends, one year, got together and created 'see-through' candy bags .. with santa, angel and snowmen heads, arms and legs .. the see-through bag was filled with candy and it was the 'body'.

reala candles on repro silver clips all over a tree is noice and natural .. you can tuck in berries and make a garland of pinecones or nuts or popcorn and cranberries. (stringing popcorn and cranberries needn't be done all at one sitting .. it acan be an 'on-going' project .. when friends or family come to visit .. make some hot chocolate, tea or coffee and invite them to string awhile.

real cookies and candy canes! (check out the recipes under the 'gingerbread' thread in the kitchen section of the forum.

there is so much in nature .. collect all year long .. fallen bird nests, dried sunflowers and queen anne's lace (press QAL between the pages of a book .. they come out lovely!) even little twigs tied in bundles with plaid christmasy ribbon is nice to put on a 'nature tree', pine cones (of course) and live holly bunches.

paper stars .. one of the prettiest trees i've ever seen was loaded with paper stars and tiny twinkly white lights.

oh .. and a really silly but delightful tree i've done for several years . .is a 'kitchen tree' ... i collected bright and festive 'jar tops' for a full year (sometimes, i would buy the product just for the top!) .. i punched a hole at the top and put a thin wire through them .. then i added colorful vintage kitchen utensils (like measuring spoons and small scoops, and those olde loopy pot-holders.

also, look at December (Christmas) country magazines and books for great ideas too.

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

Yogifarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

297 Posts

Jenn
Swiftwater PA
USA
297 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2005 :  8:28:37 PM  Show Profile  Send Yogifarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Thanks everyone for such wonderful ideas. Will sleep on them and begin tomorrow. I will keep everyone posted on the final outcome. So far have the lights on. It was a wonderful day, we went to a tree farm that doesn't advertise (found out about them from a neighbor who has gone there for years) They hand you a saw and you go out and cut down your own tree. My kids love this and then the farmer who they believe to be Santa's brother gives the kiddies a candy cane. It's just such a personal experience and of course the tree is fresh. We had snow last night so it was all so beautiful on the trees. Went home and had hot coco. Nighty night to all. Will check in tomorrow

Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2005 :  08:31:35 AM  Show Profile
I have strung popcorn and used a heavier quilting thread. Make sure the popcorn isn't fresh, use day old. The fresh popcorn breaks apart too easily while stringing. I also have bought round paper doilies and rolled them into cornicopia shapes, attatched ribbon for hanging, and filled with colored tissue and whatever you'd like. It gives an old-fashioned look. The birds will appreciate the popcorn when you're done.
Go to Top of Page
  Holidays: Previous Topic Farmgirl Tree Trimming Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page