Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Magazine: Call for Entries
 Keeping in Touch
 Lazy Sunday Afternoons.........
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Lazy Sunday Afternoons......... Next Topic  

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2008 :  07:08:33 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
They are by far my favorite thing. Maybe it is because they so rarely happen. But I love it when I look around the living room and there we all are huddled up in pillows and quilts, every sofa consumed and feet sticking out from under the coffee table, the smell of popcorn floods the house, hot cocoa stained mugs scattered around. Normally I would, in that moment, be focused on the latest book I was reading, but yesterday I joined in on the movie fest. I think because it was a hallmark movie fest. It started with a movie calling "roughing it" based on a book penned by Mark Twain about the adventures of he and his brothers in the late 1800's. It was a 4 hour movie, which under normal circumstances I could never do, but this was awesome as it was a blending of short storied adventures that turned Sam Clemens into Mark Twain. I couldn't help but think through out the movie that we all have those snapshots in time that define who we are, who we have become. They aren't particularly powerful moments, just moments that when all added together present a story. Beings that I am someone who loves to write, movies about other writers naturally draw me in. I love when I learn that they in of themselves aren't particular special either, they, like me, were average people living life yet somehow capturing their adventures with their pens like a painter can with a brush, or a shutterbug with their camera. Many of them not even particularly schooled in writing, just with the passion and ability to put words together to reveal a picture of the tale. Through out the day various family members would be sleeping and snoring and the rest of us giggle at the sound... the whole day "wasted" right there. We are a busy family... sports and school and work and clubs and meetings and the like..........but on days like this it is enough to have each other, a good pillow and a heavy quilt.. The fireplace snapping in the background and one little room where we are content to be held up as a family... leaving the rest of the world to do without us for one day.................Oh how I cherish those moments.

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185
http://farmchicksfarm.blogspot.com/

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2008 :  07:44:18 AM  Show Profile
What a beautiful time you had. It made me remember those family times also. Popcorn Hot chocolate and good Disney movie on Sunday nights Thanks for bringing that memory back to me.

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

Firemama
True Blue Farmgirl

1731 Posts

Amanda
Medical Lake WA
USA
1731 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2008 :  08:09:10 AM  Show Profile  Send Firemama a Yahoo! Message
Rene we did the very same thing yesterday. We turned off all the light, except the christmas tree lights and layed in the floor and on the couch and watched Narnia. It was nice......

Mama to 2
FarmGirl# 20

People can only make you feel inferior with your permission, and you dont have my permission......

Dont let the chain of love end with you.....

http://myfarmdreams.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2008 :  08:25:28 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Dont you just love it.. ???? My hubby and I were talking about being young and sitting with the whole family, grandparents and all watching Hee haw and Lawrence Welk...............The GAC channel had a special called "how Great thou art" that we watched too..................There is something so special about days like that, that in some ways make more memories then all the trips and "things"........I woke up this morning thinking all is right with the world.

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185
http://farmchicksfarm.blogspot.com/

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2008 :  09:14:14 AM  Show Profile
Having an empty nest, it's now just hubby and I and we have those days often during our "down" season when there isn't a lot of work required outside besides feedings - of course only on the weekends. I feel a bit guilty about them because there ARE a ton of inside chores I could be doing but it's so nice to feel so calm, rested and sluggish and enjoy the company and entertainment. We even let the dogs inside for some family time.

I am going to put that movie on my list of must-see's, Rene. Glad you had a great day and enjoyed it and shared the movie with us.

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
http://woolyinwashington.wordpress.com/
http://farmhouseflair.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2008 :  09:27:34 AM  Show Profile
That movie sounds wonderful Rene - and a lazy Sunday sounds fabulous. Maybe next week....
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

marcy jo
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Marcy
Wawaka Indiana
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2008 :  12:19:24 PM  Show Profile  Send marcy jo a Yahoo! Message
There's something so comforting to just sit with family and do really nothing but be together!! I love it when we get that chance!!

Marcy #257

When I stand before God at the end of my life I hope that I would not have a bit of talent left and could say “I used everything You gave me”.(erma bombeck)
Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2008 :  4:33:47 PM  Show Profile
It sounds like a marvelous time with your family. I just love days like that. We need one here. We had a pretty quiet day after we finished all we had to do. We played bowling on the Wii~It's the only game I'm good at and pool~hubby always helps me and I do well with that, too. Forget the Olympics~I stink. I can't make it to the Olympics in real life and I stink even on the video game. LOL~
Glad to hear you enjoyed your day. The movie sounds awesome.
Ruth

Living the farm life in my heart.
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Ruth
http://farmgirlinmyheart.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1401 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1401 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2008 :  08:57:02 AM  Show Profile
Rene,
Sunday is a day of rest and I wish we had more time to observe it as such. My Grandfather, a farmer, never worked his animals on Sunday. He used to farm with horses and he said they deserved a day of rest. Of course, he still had to milk the cows, feed the pigs, and Grandma had to take care of him and feed the chickens. But all in all, he did not work on Sunday.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2008 :  7:59:43 PM  Show Profile
I am so envious of you all who can relax and enjoy your family. I am always the one who is up flittering about cleaning up or getting for someone. I would love to be able to just sit and talk or cuddle with the grandkids.

I think I will make that my goal. Next time they are all here, I am going to try to have fun.

What is the name of that movie ya'll watched, Renee? It sounds good.

Kris
Go to Top of Page

Lainey
True Blue Farmgirl

2401 Posts

Elaine
Waco Kentucky
USA
2401 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2008 :  11:14:51 AM  Show Profile
Rene, I had one of those days this past Saturday. There was work that needed to be done around the house but I felt like we needed to relax. I did do some laundry and a little housework but most of the day we watched some shows together. We saw a great show on PBS about a man who moved to Alaska and built his own home. We watched a good show about Storm Chasers that was very exciting. I watched some more of those on Sunday too. We made some hot chocolate and sat around with our comforters around us. I put a nice tart in the tart burner that EnchantedWoodsgirl sent me and it really made the house smell so nice. It was really just a nice, lazy day. I even did a blog entry about it. I think it's good to have days like that sometimes, it really helps to unwind.

Farmgirl Sister #25

http://countrygirldreams.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Lainey on Dec 10 2008 11:15:41 AM
Go to Top of Page

loribeck
True Blue Farmgirl

588 Posts

Lori
Alvordton 36
USA
588 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2019 :  5:59:59 PM  Show Profile
I couldn't help to bring this topic back up. I just love Sunday afternoons. We go to church in the morning and when we get home we spend some time outside with our little furbabies. After that we go out to eat and take a nice drive. It doesn't have to be any special place, we just take off. Sometimes we visit with the kids or other family or friends. Most of the time we spend the day relaxing and enjoying each others company. We always go to bed early on Sunday nights to get ready for another busy week. Most of the time I read for an hour or so and he falls asleep almost as soon as his head hits the pillow. Isn't there something special about Sunday?

Lori Beck
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2019 :  07:06:26 AM  Show Profile
Lori,, I am enjoying these old Chatroom posts you are recycling here for all of us to enjoy! Thank-you!! Yes, I agree that there is something more laid back about Sunday afternoons. Growing up, the Sunday mornings were full of church and I remember loving to get out my drawing paper and colored pencils and work on drawing horses, which I dearly loved and wanted one so badly. There was something wonderful about having no agenda and hours to just draw and color.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

loribeck
True Blue Farmgirl

588 Posts

Lori
Alvordton 36
USA
588 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2019 :  5:55:14 PM  Show Profile
Believe it or not, Winnie, I still love to color. I buy the adult coloring books to color in. It is relaxing.

Lori Beck
Go to Top of Page
  Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Lazy Sunday Afternoons......... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page