25 Posts

Lisa
Harrisburg Pa
USA
25 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2009 :  10:25:46 AM  Show Profile
Hi everyone!

OK I have a question.

I started the sourdough starter two weeks ago. Last weekend I made pancakes from a recipe on this thread, since everyone said bread the first week didn't come out as nicely as expected. The pancakes were not fluffy at all - more like crepes but everyone ate them.

My starter, instead of smelling sweetly sour, smells now like vinegar! It's a hard, vinegar smell. My kids even asked "What smells so sour?" in the kitchen. Is my sourdough supposed to smell like vinegar?

If so I'll go ahead and make the bread with it. However, if it's going to come out badly I'd rather not waste the new flour and try and start it again.

Here's what I've done:
* Week one - dry cloth over top
* Saturday - removed starter for pancakes and let it rest
* Sunday - put wet towel over top.
* During this week I missed one day of feeding flour+water. It was after this day when things started to go bad.
* Starter has been out on the counter the entire time.

Please tell me if I've done something incorrect. Or if the starter is really supposed to smell like vinegar. :D

Thanks!

*~Lisa~*

My farmish blog: http://meadowflowerfarm.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Meadowflower on Feb 14 2009 10:26:29 AM
Go to Top of Page

Firemama
True Blue Farmgirl

1731 Posts

Amanda
Medical Lake WA
USA
1731 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2009 :  11:51:30 AM  Show Profile  Send Firemama a Yahoo! Message
I must admit, I have given up. I might try again when it warms up. My mother looks good,smells sour and hoochy ; ) .Starts to rise and then poops out.I've tried the heating pad under it, but she just isnt doing good.I have Organic Flour, and the right water, the dough just doesnt do good.So poo, I guess I just have to knead it out....

Mama to 2
FarmGirl# 20

People can only make you feel inferior with your permission, and you dont have my permission......

Dont let the chain of love end with you.....

http://myfarmdreams.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22896 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22896 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2009 :  1:17:43 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Amanda- how old is your starter? *hugs* I miss popping up to Spokane to see you!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com

Edited by - Alee on Feb 14 2009 1:18:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

Firemama
True Blue Farmgirl

1731 Posts

Amanda
Medical Lake WA
USA
1731 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2009 :  1:34:04 PM  Show Profile  Send Firemama a Yahoo! Message
Alee my starter was 3 weeks old. The second batch rose nicely, but I wasnt working that day so I could leave the stove on to warm it. The other times the dough just got harder than a puck.So I am looking at some different starters, because I really loved the taste of it. Had never made it before this. I really think its just too cold in our house right now.

Mama to 2
FarmGirl# 20

People can only make you feel inferior with your permission, and you dont have my permission......

Dont let the chain of love end with you.....

http://myfarmdreams.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Gaelic Gardener
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Kelly
Providence Rhode Island
USA
61 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2009 :  1:57:51 PM  Show Profile
I am at the end of the first week of the process. My starter is still doughy, not liquid like in the pictures, although it is less solid and more liquid than the first couple of days. It does have a "tangy" smell. I'm going to give it another week -- I think it's because my house is on the cold side. Should I keep the towel dry or should I switch to the wet towel now?
thanks,
Kelly
Go to Top of Page

olive610
Farmgirl in Training

40 Posts

Mary-Alice
Missouri City TX
USA
40 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2009 :  2:19:34 PM  Show Profile
I want to make the pancakes tomorrow and I just can't find the recipe within this thread. Can somebody point me in the right direction? I am bleary-eyed trying to locate it. Thanks in advance for any help.

"Life is a great big canvas, and you should throw all the paint on it you can." Danny Kaye

Edited by - olive610 on Feb 14 2009 4:26:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2009 :  3:38:10 PM  Show Profile
Lisa I'm not sure what to tell you about the pancakes mine came out very fluffy. It sounds like you are doing everything right. My starters have a vinegary smell which is strongest just before they get fed. This is normal.

Kelly the wet towel is just to keep the top of your started from drying out and getting a skin on in. If it is rtaying moist you could probably stay with dry. I only wet mine every other day.

Mary-Alice the pancake recipe is on page 13 about half way down.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

olive610
Farmgirl in Training

40 Posts

Mary-Alice
Missouri City TX
USA
40 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2009 :  4:20:42 PM  Show Profile
Thank you so much. It's pancakes for our breakfast tomorrow. Thanks again Julie.

"Life is a great big canvas, and you should throw all the paint on it you can." Danny Kaye
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2009 :  4:43:53 PM  Show Profile
Julie, My mother looks great, not sure what is going wrong, but not giving up. I'm using KA organic all purpose flour and well water, like I said the starter looks just fine. My first week I baked in my dutch oven so I wasn't surprised when it didn't get very high, but the second week I baked it in a pyrex casserole that was smaller width and it still didn't raise much. I always scoop up my flour and shake off the measuring cup, I'm thinking maybe I get too much flour in? Tomorrow I'm off to see if I can locate a smaller cast iron pan, as I definitely could see a difference between using the cast iron and the pyrex (I preferred the cast iron). Another question, do you think if I used a double batch I could use my bigger cast iron pan as long as I baked it until it reached the 195-200 degrees in the middle?
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2009 :  5:19:29 PM  Show Profile
Yes doing a double batch is just fine. You will need to add extra "food" to your starter during the week to make up for the extra you will be removing. You will also want to watch closley as you add your flor before baking. You may need mor and youmay need less depending on the thickness of your starter. I have a small 2 at cast iron Dutch oven and it works pretty well. I'd still like to get my hands on a saucepan like MaryJane uses. Hers is narrower and taller and would be better for sandwich bread.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

Pearlsnjeans
True Blue Farmgirl

248 Posts

Vicki
West Haven Utah
USA
248 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2009 :  5:39:19 PM  Show Profile
Hi all. Today I made pancakes. They were light, fluffy and delicious. My kids came over just before noon and ate quite a few cold with raspberry jam! My bread is baking now. I used a little less flour today and the rise was great. Hopefully, it will not be quite so hard.

Vicki
Farmgirl Sister #120
Today well lived makes every yesterday a memory of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope.
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2009 :  7:23:06 PM  Show Profile
Great to hear Vicki! I have 2 new recipes I'm working on that I hope to share with you all on Monday.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

gardenmaam
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Cathy
Moreno Valley CA
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2009 :  9:26:53 PM  Show Profile  Send gardenmaam a Yahoo! Message
I read something interesting today in the May June '08 COOKs Magazine; It says that there's a french tool, called a lame used to slash the top of the bread just before baking.(I used a serrated knife) The magazine states that using a single edged razor blade works perfectly. Use the tip only.
I'll try that Monday when I bake.
Anyone heard of using a razor blade for that?
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2009 :  9:48:05 PM  Show Profile
I have used a razor blade and it makes a much smoother cut. Honestly though a really sharp paring knife works just as well if it has a fairly thin blade.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

Meadowflower
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

Lisa
Harrisburg Pa
USA
25 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2009 :  03:54:39 AM  Show Profile
Julie,

Thank you so very much for answering my question.

Since it's right that my mother smells vinegar, I'm going to give the bread a go today! I'll post what happens here. :)

I don't know why my pancakes didn't come out fluffy either. Maybe my baking powder was old? I never use it so it's ancient. Maybe it had no more energy left in it

*~Lisa~*

My farmish blog: http://meadowflowerfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2009 :  05:24:17 AM  Show Profile
Lisa - I have really learned that fresh baking powder is important! I wish it cam in smaller containers! I replace mine every 6 months regardless of whether it is all gone or not. Also when I made the pancakes I mix my batter and then let it rest while I made bacon and potatoes. When I got ready to make the pancakes it was already bubbly and "rising" some. It looked active. I'll work on getting some pictures made of the batter.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2009 :  05:40:41 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Julie. Have any cinnamon roll recipes using the starter been posted here or have I missed them?
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2009 :  05:49:01 AM  Show Profile
Has anyone made the crackers yet from the pizza dough recipe? I had to make more yesterday b/c hubby ate all the ones I made Wed. They are so easy to make and don't take but a few minutes to do. And they are so good, too.

Kris

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori proverb
Go to Top of Page

Gaelic Gardener
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Kelly
Providence Rhode Island
USA
61 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2009 :  07:12:39 AM  Show Profile
Lisa & Julie -- Make your own baking powder:
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon cornstarch
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2009 :  07:22:25 AM  Show Profile
Suzanne - I haven't posted a cinnamon roll recipe yet but have on in the works. I haven't tested it yet but would be happy to email it to you off the forum if you are interested in trying it. I prefer not to post it until I have actually tried it myself incase my measurements are off on anything.

Kristen - I haven't tried the crackers yet.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2009 :  10:16:30 AM  Show Profile

Well, it is Sunday, and let there be the "mother starter"! I began my starter dough today, and when I was done I thought.....hmmm..I used a metal spoon to measure the flour into my plastic dry measuring cup before adding it to the ceramic bowl. I hope that did not make a difference. Otherwise, I used wood to stir and the ceramic bowl and now I am thinking. "Do you all use a glass wet measure to measure your cups of flour or do you have glass dry measuring cups?"

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2009 :  10:32:23 AM  Show Profile
I use a metal measuring cup and haven't had any problems.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2009 :  11:14:52 AM  Show Profile
Julie, If you wouldn't mind emailing it I would love to test it! Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2009 :  11:23:52 AM  Show Profile
Well fellow farmgirls, I have been making "Bread the Mary Jane way" now for several weeks, My advice to all is Keep trying it, If you don't at first suceed. Each loaf I have made gets better each time. Yesterday I made 2 small loaves & 2 medium loaves. They were the best yet. I baked them in glass baking pans all different sizes. and this morning we ate one small loaf which when cut lengthwise in 4 long suts fir nicely in my toaster. Yummmmmmy! I used some of the starter Friday for Pancakes they were very good too. This sourdough "mother" crock will remain on my counter indefinately just bubbling with Love...

Cheryl
Farmgirl #309

Almost daily posts at:
http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Come visit the barn at http://barndoorcreations.blogspot.com/

Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise',
I wash my mouth out with chocolate.
Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

JoAnn
Colville Washington
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2009 :  11:25:39 AM  Show Profile
Here's my two cents worth. My husband is the breadmaker but I did some "googling" about sourdough starts and found this interesting --

"Many people complain about their home-baked sourdough breads that they are not sour enough. This is based on a misconception. The "sour" in "sourdough" refers to the acidity of the starter, not to the finished product. Many breads made from sourdough starter are actually sweet, and should be, if you are baking muffins or cake. Yes, some breads made with sourdough starter are more sour, because there was more acidic starter in the dough to begin with, or because it had longer to act on the flour because there was less starter. Professional bakers wanting to please the public's desire for "sour" sourdough get a more sour taste by forcing the yeast to work longer. There are several ways to do this, so try them all: 1) use much less starter, and then allow more time (as much as 20 hours) for the dough to rise; 2) punch the dough down more times (three or four times, rather than two), which also forces the dough to work longer. 3) use more starter. It will require some experimentation to find out what works best for you"

I found that the acidic part interesting because another site said if the started gets to acidic it will not rise well. Also (too lazy to look back on all the comments) does it say to scald your container you will be putting the starter in. You're suppose too. JoAnn
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 80 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Bread the MaryJane Way Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page