willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2009 :  10:56:26 AM  Show Profile
Here is a link to a cast iron bread pan for 19.99. The picture is near the top of the page. You have to scroll down to order. I know several of you were looking for one of these.

http://www.chuckwagonsupply.com/catpage7.html#cabin

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com

Edited by - willowtreecreek on Feb 22 2009 10:57:02 AM
Go to Top of Page

Deni
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Deni
Columbia MO
USA
19 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2009 :  11:51:11 AM  Show Profile
It's really great to follow everyone's progress. I would say my artisan bread was a success this time. I took pics, but haven't figured out how to upload them. Do they have to be on a server?

Anyway -
My Mom is three weeks old. Week three, to my well-rested Mom I added unbleached all week, and when I went to bake I added two Tablespoons honey and only 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour. It just didn't seem to need more. After about 7 hours I finally saw some rise. When I touched lightly there was spring-back. Baked it at 8:30 pm. Breakfast proved that the crumb was good and the flavor just the right amount of sour. This week I'm going to reinforce the whole wheat for a couple of days then return to unbleached.

A house in the country is not the same as a country house. Gertrude Stein (1874 - 1946)

sunshinedreamkitchen.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2009 :  11:55:09 AM  Show Profile
Yes Deni the pics need to be on a server. I like flickr.com but many here use photobucket.com.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

Farmers Daughter
True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

DiAnn

90 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2009 :  12:07:16 PM  Show Profile

Kathy~ I just made my first 2 free form loves of bread today. After reading through the pages of this thread I was worried that my fist attempt would yield 2 paper weights so I followed the recipe given on page 13. It called for 1 1/2 cups of started and 1 pk of yeast. I am happy to report I have two round/oval shaped loaves cooling right now. Well one has the end cut off already, couldn't wait. After letting it rise about 1 1/2 hour then forming my breads and rising again. I am very happy with the result for my first time using my started. Since I only used 1 1/2 cups of starter then I think I should still have 1/2 cup to use on biscuit. Cause the farmhouse white bread called to take out 2 cups. Hope I got that right.
Next week I will see how my mother is doing and plan to make the bread the Mary Jane way. Just got scared cause seemed like the first time everyone was having some rising trouble.

One other thing that recipe called for a total of 5 cups of flour. I only use approx 4 when making my dough. You just have to add a little at a time to see how the dough feels. If I make it again it might need all 5 cups.

Good luck~
Go to Top of Page

Deni
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Deni
Columbia MO
USA
19 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2009 :  12:11:30 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Julie!

A house in the country is not the same as a country house. Gertrude Stein (1874 - 1946)

Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2009 :  1:16:50 PM  Show Profile
Yes, thank you Julie...those pans are very reasonable! "Lizzie" is doing great....she rested comfortably yesterday and today I gave her a clean bowl, fed her and a clean damp cloth over her (purified water of course). She is already bubbling away again....I think she likes it here!

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226

www.farmgirlsam.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2009 :  4:28:57 PM  Show Profile
Pecan/Date Bread
2 cups starter
¾ t salt
1/3 cup molasses
¾ cup chopped dates
½ cup chopped pecans
1 cup unbleached white flour
½ cup whole wheat flour
Combine starter, salt, molasses, dates and pecans in a large mixing bowl with a handle. Use a wooden spoon to mix thoroughly. Stir in flour and mix until dough is wet and sticky. It will be like the consistency of a very moist cookie dough. Transfer to a 2 qt. cast iron saucepan or Dutch oven. Allow to rise 6 – 8 hours or overnight if you want this for breakfast. Preheat oven to 425 and cook loaf 20 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 195 – 205 degrees. Remove loaf from pan and cool on a rack. When slightly cooled, slice and enjoy with some farm fresh butter!

I used local molasses and pecans from our own trees.

This is my dough before rising.

This is my dough after rising. It is from a different angle but hopefully you can see the difference.

I forgot to spray my dutch oven and the bottom of the middle of my loaf got stuck! BUMMER!

But it still tastes delicious!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog

Edited by - willowtreecreek on Feb 22 2009 4:34:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

urban farm girl
True Blue Farmgirl

80 Posts

Melissa
Posen IL
USA
80 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2009 :  5:17:50 PM  Show Profile
Those pictures are so great....you sure got it going on Julie!
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2009 :  05:52:49 AM  Show Profile
You're a whiz girlfriend! Where do you get the Ozark molasses? I keep trying to buy local don't ya know! You're recipes are all so good! Thanks again for sharing them!

Farmgirl Sister #226

Go to Top of Page

Gaelic Gardener
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Kelly
Providence Rhode Island
USA
61 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2009 :  06:11:14 AM  Show Profile
Well, yesterday marked 2 weeks for my starter, but I'm still not getting bubbles and it's still thick and sticky.
--Kelly

“We can complain because rose bushes have thorns,
or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
Abraham Lincoln
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2009 :  07:32:07 AM  Show Profile
I have not had a problem getting bubbles....what kind of towel are you using over the top? I used a lightweight open weave sort of cotton dish towel. You might have trouble if you use a heavier towel over the top because the "yeasties" are in the air and have to have a way to get in there from what I understand. I know years ago when I made some it was in a mason jar with cheesecloth over the top and set outside (it was summer). You might want to try cheesecloth. I hope this helps a little. So sorry you're having trouble...I know it can be frustrating but stick with it....you will be SO glad you did when you finally get the finished product and I've only made the pancakes so far but they are the best I have ever had! Good luck and make sure you are following the directions to a "T". Hugs!

Farmgirl Sister #226

Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2009 :  08:16:47 AM  Show Profile
Kelley if your starter is still very thick after 2 weeks you may not be getting enough water. Try doubling the water over the next few days until you get the consistancy of about a pancake batter or a little thicker. Then see if you start getting bubbles. Are you getting any of the Hooch (liquid on top)?

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2009 :  08:19:28 AM  Show Profile
Sandra I am pretty sure I bought the molasses in Mtn. View but I have seen it other places. I'll do some research and see if I can find a place near to you that carries it. They make a sorgum molasses and have honey too. The sorgum is AWESOME!!!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2009 :  09:21:06 AM  Show Profile
I know..I LOVE sorghum better than honey on my biscuits now! I do get to Mountain View once in awhile...and I like to buy local honey if I can but the closest I've gotten is Little Rock and who knows where the honey came from...it was just bottled in Little Rock not necessarily honey collected from that area. I like honey in my tea. Thanks Julie and thanks for your book list too! I always look forward to that on your blog!

Farmgirl Sister #226

Go to Top of Page

Gaelic Gardener
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Kelly
Providence Rhode Island
USA
61 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2009 :  09:22:11 AM  Show Profile
I'm using a thin (almost like linen) cotton dishcloth. The first week with just the dry towel I got a pretty thick crust each day, but it would disolve back into the starter. The second week with the wet towel I'm not getting any crust. I'm not getting any hooch, but it does have a tangy, if not sour smell. I'll keep on keeping on, and thanks Julie, I'll try adding more water this week and we'll see what happens.
--Kelly

“We can complain because rose bushes have thorns,
or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
Abraham Lincoln
Go to Top of Page

urban farm girl
True Blue Farmgirl

80 Posts

Melissa
Posen IL
USA
80 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2009 :  11:21:39 AM  Show Profile
I made a brand new starter over the weekend and this one is looking REAL good, very bubbly and I wrapped another towel around the bowl to keep her warm... so far so good. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I'm anxious to try the pancakes and cakes but I just would like one loaf of bread. So...we'll see.
Go to Top of Page

sunflowercritters
True Blue Farmgirl

1102 Posts

Debra
Springfield Maine
USA
1102 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2009 :  11:30:41 AM  Show Profile
Hi I'm back I'm so....excited I finally made the sourdough bread. It looks so.. good. My husband is so happy it worked for me this time. I think this was my third time trying again. I did use different flour and I quess that was the problem for me.
Cann't wait to make more soon. Yummy!!! thanks again for All your help and encouragement.
farmgirl sister #462

Worry ends Where Faith in God begins.
Go to Top of Page

nin1952
True Blue Farmgirl

269 Posts

Donna
Cedartown GA
USA
269 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2009 :  12:00:16 PM  Show Profile

HI ALL I am into my fourth week with Sallie Mae (my Mom's name). I made my bread Saturday. Well, I used my 2 cups of starter, 3/4 tsp salt, 1 tsp honey and 1 1/2 cups of flour. I anxiously waited and waited and waited 8 full hours. I had it sitting pretty close to my woodheater (I don't have a good warm place but there) and it rose about 1 1/2 inches. AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! OK I baked it anyway and it turned out with a very hard crust and a fairly good inside. What else can I do. I keep it close to my woodheater with a towel wrapped around it all week. I feed it everyday with 2/3 cups flour (KA Unbleached Organic AP Flour) and 1/2 cup purified water. It is thinner than a pancake batter, still has the hooch on top and has a few bubbles. What is wrong? Do I just need to keep it going or do I need to start over? Also I just love all of the recipes. I hope to try them one day.

Donna
Go to Top of Page

jenybea
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Jenny
Caldwell Tx
USA
10 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2009 :  3:39:03 PM  Show Profile
So that I do not have to read a million and five posts....
Can you use organic whole wheat flour for the starter rather than plain organic flour?

THANK YOU !
Jenny
Go to Top of Page

Leezard
True Blue Farmgirl

950 Posts

Elizabeth
Novi MI
USA
950 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2009 :  3:55:47 PM  Show Profile
Any chance we could start a thread of just recipes that you ladies have posted? It's hard to go through all the pages looking for them :)

Jenny, I believe that it's best to start with white flour and then when you bake the bread some have used whole wheat and had good luck with it. Maybe once you get your starter going you could skip baking one week, take out the two cups and start a seperate starter trying to add whole wheat for part or all of the daily stir in...I say skip baking so if the whole wheat in the starter doesn't work you don't have to start all over again.

Donna, when I was getting the hooch for a couple of days I started adding in a tablespoon or so extra flour a day until the hooch didn't come up anymore. Good luck!

http://ruby--slippers.blogspot.com/
www.leezard.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Deni
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Deni
Columbia MO
USA
19 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2009 :  4:30:54 PM  Show Profile
Jenybea -- I jumped right in with whole wheat - organic of course. I've made bread three times. The first week I started with 2 cups ww pastry, then added 1/3 c ww bread flour each day with the purified h2o. That week the bread did NOT rise.

Week two of the starter I put in nothing but ww pastry flour. Some rise - but remember that starter gets better as it matures.

Week three I used unbleached organic flour every day, then baked bread using 1 cup ww pastry flour. I only needed a cup. Pretty dry in my house right now. I also bumped the honey from 1 t to 2 tablespoon. That was before I knew about "sweetening" with baking soda.

After letting Mom sit on Saturday, I decided to add a couple of days worth of ww pastry to keep the ww factor strong. This morning - day two of adding 1/3 cup, she was bubbling like crazy and very happy.

I think my mother is successful because the organic flour I started with is pretty good stuff. The health food store where I buy it repackages or sells it in bulk and they turn it over pretty fast. It doesn't sit forever in paper packages on store shelves. I have not yet purchased the King Arthur flour - though I plan to do that sometime soon. The pastry flour is labeled "locally grown". That means the owners are buying it from a local farmer. Probably extra fresh!

This is just my personal experience. I followed the directions carefully - except I forgot and used tap water on my towel the first week because I wasn't paying good attention.

Hope this helps you decide.

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2009 :  4:33:33 PM  Show Profile
I know it's in here somewhere, but can't find the answer. I have been using KA organic and today I found Bob's Red Mill organic for SOOO much cheaper. So can I add this new flour to the original starter or should I just start a new one?

Kris

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori proverb
Go to Top of Page

khartquilt
True Blue Farmgirl

1176 Posts

USA
1176 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2009 :  4:35:44 PM  Show Profile
Not to be a poor sport but...I baked my last rock. I am going to give it up for a while and try again when it gets a little warmer.
I will keep my eye on this thread. Steal a few recipes to try later.

Back to the sewing room for me. The kitchen is just not my cup of tea.

Kathy H
Farmgirl Sister #81
"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world..." (anomymous)
http://khartquilt.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2009 :  5:06:19 PM  Show Profile
Here’s a recipe for two scrumptious baguettes using my Farmhouse White recipe. I purchased a really cool baguette loaf pan here locally for $13 and used it to make two PERFECT loaves that tasted divine!

Using my Farmhouse White recipe to the T, as soon as the dough was pulling away from the sides of my bowl, I plopped in onto my table covered in flour and divided it into two equal halves. Then I spread them out with my hands into two rectangles 7 x 13 inches. (You can use a rolling pin if you want—each half of dough weighed just a tad shy of 3/4 pound each—the total ball of dough weighing 1.43# to be exact.)

Next, I dusted any loose flour off them. Using a pastry brush, I painted them with a light coat of warmish water. Starting on the long edges, I rolled them up to form two long baguettes. I tucked the short ends under and placed them seam sides down into the pan.

I used my pastry brush again to wet the tops with warm water and set them to rise with a wet towel over them. I put canning jars around them so the towel wasn’t lying right on top of the rising loaves. I checked the temperature where I set them to rise and it was 80 degrees so I knew they’d rise fairly quickly.

They were ready for the oven in four hours. I kept the towel moistened by spritzing it. If the temp had been 65-70 degrees, they would have needed 6-8 hours.

I put a muffin tin on the bottom shelf of my oven with ½ inch water in each depression. Then, I turned the oven on to 425 degrees.

While it was preheating, I mixed together 1 T warm water and 1 egg white and painted that onto the tops of each loaf after I used a razor to slice four slits on the tops of each loaf.

After they were in the oven for 10 minutes, I painted them one more time with the egg white wash. After ten more minutes (20 minutes total), my instant read thermometer said they were done (200 degrees internally) but I wanted them a tad more golden. I watched them closely and left them in 5 more minutes. I let them cool in the pans.

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2009 :  5:56:03 PM  Show Profile
Oh MJ, those look so yummy! I love baguettes! Tomorrow's my first day baking with my mother, Ruby, I think she'll only be up for pancakes tomorrow and we'll wait and try bread next week. Hopefully, she'll be able to make some bread as good looking as those baguettes. Thanks for the tutorial! I find the all the pictures on here very helpful.

Audrey

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 80 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Bread the MaryJane Way Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page