FarmGirl~K
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Kelly
TX
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2009 :  11:44:00 AM  Show Profile
I didnt have so much luck with mine yesterday. Got all the stuff out to make the farmhouse bread & pulled the towel off of my bowl. Had a thin crust which I knew was ok, but on that crust was mold. Very fast growning since I had just added flour & water the evening before. I am going to try one more time. I think if I can't get it going this time. I will wait awhile before trying again. I just hate wasting all that flour. Congrats to all you girls that are having success with yours. I'm hoping 3rd times a charm.

"I have an irrepressible desire to live till I can be assured that the world is a little better for my having lived in it."
– Abraham Lincoln
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2009 :  11:48:26 AM  Show Profile
Kathy - unless you have professional parchment with silicon release in it you will want to spray it first with oil or pam.

If you want to post pcs you can use the little insert imagebutton when you edit your post. You will need to paste the URL of the photo between the brackets. To get the URL right click on your picture in photo ucket or whatever server you use and selectproperties. This will bring up a new box. Higlight the http and copy it. Paste this between the sets of coded brackets.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

GailMN
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Gail
Hutchinson Minnesota
USA
471 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2009 :  12:07:38 PM  Show Profile  Send GailMN a Yahoo! Message
I posted a little earlier today, very excited about my first loaf of sourdough bread. I tried to post a picture, but was unable to until I was pointed in the direction of the info to post using Photobucket, thank you Sandra. Here is my "masterpiece" sitting on the slow cooker liner crock that I baked it in. I'm increasing my starter, so next week more bread and pancakes. This stuff is awesome.

Gail

Farmgirl Sister #506
A Smile a Day . . .
Go to Top of Page

Sewsmartie
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Martie

7 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2009 :  12:23:44 PM  Show Profile
[quote][i I made the San FRancisco sourdough recipe from Ronna and BOY did it RISE!!! I got inot trouble with that one...I think my "Lizzie" could have done it all by herself! I made a few mistakes but it turned out and tasted yummy!

Where is Ronna's recipe. I am going to try again today and am just hoping it works this time.

Sewsmartie
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2009 :  1:27:39 PM  Show Profile
That was me....my starter is called "Lizzie" in honor of my Mother. I would HIGHLY recommend using 2 cookie sheets since I used 1 big one and they raised into each other...but they ended up fine they were just Siamese twins when I got done.
Ronna's San Francisco Sour Dough recipe is here in the post somewhere.....oh....I think it is on page 13 here in this post. Good Luck! Plus I did not use all 5 cups of flour and I should have....the dough would have held its shape better. But you could use a loaf pan or something to ensure its shape. I'm just a beginner so what do I know!
DO NOT do what I did later which was to freeze the second loaf with a vacuum sealer....I did not hit the "moist" button and it REALLY shrunk it! Not sure it will come back when it is defrosted....it looks like the pancakes now! LOL!

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226

www.farmgirlsam.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2009 :  1:28:54 PM  Show Profile
Gail!!!! That is gorgeous!!!! I can only hope that mine turns out as good next week. I think I will go looking for the cast iron pan or something. WOW!!!! YOu could give lessons!

Farmgirl Sister #226

Go to Top of Page

Gaelic Gardener
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Kelly
Providence Rhode Island
USA
61 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2009 :  1:45:25 PM  Show Profile
Well, my baking day didn't go so well... Its the end of the third week since I started but only the first week of actual bubbly starter. My dough didn't rise after about 10 hours in the oven with the light on. I'll try again next week.....
--Kelly

“We can complain because rose bushes have thorns,
or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
Abraham Lincoln
Go to Top of Page

Pat in Tenn
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Pat
Tennessee
19 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2009 :  3:07:41 PM  Show Profile
Okay Ladies,

I have been reading the post here for quite some time today. I have had the magazine since it came out last month but just never could get myself to start the mother.

I have so far been making home-made bread with milling my hard wheat and doing it the "regular" way as one might say. I have used the old "friendship" bread starters before and had a lot of success with it. So, why not try this. I believe I might could do this. I mean, someone had to start the "starter" for all of the friendship breads somewhere, right?

I have not been here on-line with you all, posting, but have been looking and learning for quite sometime.

I look forward to learning more and sharing with you here.

Wish me luck !

Pat in Tenn
Born in the city but married to the country !

Edited by - Pat in Tenn on Mar 01 2009 3:16:23 PM
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2009 :  3:41:08 PM  Show Profile
Well, I made mine yesterday. Two grapefruit sized balls. They hardly rose and were extremely crusty and hard. The inside was nice though. My honey wants to try Sourdough Pancakes next week so he can make those :)

I will check out Ronna's recipe too :)

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory
Go to Top of Page

campchic
True Blue Farmgirl

312 Posts

Erin
Nebraska
USA
312 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2009 :  3:54:12 PM  Show Profile
Julie- the index would be great!
I tried the pizza crust last night, it was awesome! It turned out nice and crispy, just the way we like it!

Erin

Farmgirl #190
www.concrete-and-grace.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

amberjsquirrel
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Amber
Norfolk VA
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2009 :  5:31:09 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Julie for the advice.

I made the overnight waffles which were so good my 18 month old instantly learned the word "waffle" and asked for them the next morning!

My husband made the pizza dough and that was awesome, too. Thank you everyone for sharing recipes. I have cut and pasted each one.

Nice to meet you all!
Have a great day,
Amber

Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2009 :  5:37:07 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Gail
YUUUUMMMMY!
I was at the farm this past weekend and MaryJane had the most amazing "mother" sitting on the counter.... it smelled like "heaven"....

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185
http://farmchicksfarm.blogspot.com/http://renenaturallyspeaking.blogspot.com/

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)
Go to Top of Page

Meadowflower
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

Lisa
Harrisburg Pa
USA
25 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2009 :  6:03:11 PM  Show Profile
Hi all!

Wow I was so happy to see a picture of Gail's bread. It looked so nice!

My bread didn't come out well. The taste was fine. However, the bread was so very very very very dense. It wasn't cake-like or hardy looking like the sourdoughs I've bought in the supermarket. It looked very unattractive inside - like 10 pieces of cake all smashed together.

Could my baking powder have been bad/old? I don't know what else could have gone wrong. I also had made the pancakes the first week and they were like crepes - no rise.

I threw out the whole batch of starter and the bread. I didn't want to waste any more flour or cooking products trying again.

I'd like to try again if I can figure out what went wrong with this batch.

*~Lisa~*

My farmish blog: http://meadowflowerfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2009 :  6:47:21 PM  Show Profile
Lisa what bread recpe are you using because MaryJanes did not call for baking powder. But yes baking powder can go bad andshould be replaced every 6 months.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

Quintessential Kate
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Kate
Tyler TX
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2009 :  05:08:05 AM  Show Profile
For those of you who have voiced dismay in going back throught all the pages of this thread to find a recipe, this is what I do. Every day when I look at the new posts, I copy and paste all the recipes of the day....that way I just have to go to my recipe folder in my documents. I actally have a sub folder for the sourdough recipes. They are all a click away. I have been doing this since the thread started.......and I must say, I have amassed quite a folder full. It's very convenient. My next project will be to put them on recipe cards. I have the perforated card stock. I think it would make a nice gift to give some starter, the "care and keep" instructions, and some recipes. I have started collecting old crockery bowls from estate sales...which will be part of the gift.
I used one of the biscuit recipes yesterday and they were wonderful. They were great for breakfast.........and just as delicious for lunch/supper.....as little sandwiches that were served with a veggie/beef soup I made Saturday.
Ciao, Kate

Heart of Texas
Chapter
AKA: Hot Farmgirl #234
http://quintessentialkate.blogspot.com

Today is my best day!
Go to Top of Page

GailMN
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Gail
Hutchinson Minnesota
USA
471 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2009 :  05:31:42 AM  Show Profile  Send GailMN a Yahoo! Message
Kate - what a great idea for a gift - I do the same with the recipes, only I am very new to this forum, so have quite a few pages to review. I did pick up a crockery bowl from a local antique shop the other day - it was for myself. I will be looking for more, I have a very good friend that recently retired, she happens to have a birthday coming up in a few weeks - guess what I'll be giving her! Thanks for an awesome gift idea.

Gail

Farmgirl Sister #506
A Smile a Day . . .
Go to Top of Page

AuntPammy
True Blue Farmgirl

488 Posts

Pamila
williamstown wv
USA
488 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2009 :  05:44:16 AM  Show Profile  Click to see AuntPammy's MSN Messenger address
Well, I haven't posted on here for a while but I have been making pizza dough with mine for the past several weeks and now it is a tradition. The boys know that Friday night is officially Pizza night and let me tell you it is delicious! Thank you so much for sharing the recipe...what a hit it has been. Hubby wants some more bread though so I am doubling the recipe this week so I can make him some loaves.

"Keep your face to the sunshine and you will never see the shadow." Helen Keller

www.auntpsalmostheaven.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

janiee
True Blue Farmgirl

820 Posts

Janie
Shawnee Oklahoma
USA
820 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2009 :  07:54:58 AM  Show Profile
I guess it was too cold Saturday in Texas to be baking bread. My dh and I got up to do it and left it on the stove , covered, with the warmer going and it never rose. the tast was wonderful but it was very dense...the crust was just right , the inside was the dense part..will try again on Wednesday (weather is supposed to be warmer) to see if it will rise better.
janiee
farmgirl #390
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2009 :  07:58:12 AM  Show Profile
Great idea Kate....I think I will go back through this post and do that!

Farmgirl Sister #226

Go to Top of Page

GailMN
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Gail
Hutchinson Minnesota
USA
471 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2009 :  08:09:38 AM  Show Profile  Send GailMN a Yahoo! Message
Sandra - I will save you the time - I am just about through the entire thread - I'm copying all the recipes to a file and I will send you the file when complete.

Gail

Farmgirl Sister #506
A Smile a Day . . .
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2009 :  08:12:23 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Gail.....you are a sweetheart! Thank you SO MUCH! I think I'm going to double my starter since there are so many things I want to make and it's only one thing a week....I need more! LOL!

Farmgirl Sister #226

Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2009 :  08:13:49 AM  Show Profile
Okay here is an index of the recipes that have been posted so far. If I missed any let me know and I can add them. I know MaryJane has it in the back of her mind to put this all together into a collection of somesorts someday. I'll try to keep this list updated and reposted at least weekly.

MaryJane’s Bread Article ..........................................pg. 1

Baked French Toast with Apples and Nuts................pg. 12

Pancakes.....................................................................pg. 13

Sanfrancisco Style Bread (Ronna) ............................pg. 13

Old Fashioned Biscuits (celticheart) .........................pg. 17

Pancakes (celticheart) ...............................................pg. 17

Croutons....................................................................pg. 18

Waffles.....................................................................pg. 19

Buttermilk Biscuits ..................................................pg. 27

Whole Wheat Biscuits .............................................pg. 27

Basic Biscuits...........................................................pg. 27

Pizza Crust ..............................................................pg. 32

Bagels......................................................................pg. 43

English Muffins (Ronna).........................................pg. 45

Carrot Cake ............................................................ pg. 47

Bread Machine White Bread w/ added yeast..........pg. 49

Pecan/Date Bread....................................................pg. 51

Dog Treats..............................................................pg 53

Banana Cake (pearlgirl).........................................pg 54

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2009 :  08:57:50 AM  Show Profile
Julie...thanks...you are right on top of things!

Farmgirl Sister #226

Go to Top of Page

GailMN
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Gail
Hutchinson Minnesota
USA
471 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2009 :  09:39:10 AM  Show Profile  Send GailMN a Yahoo! Message
Happy Monday everyone! It is hard to believe that I only joined this forum and thread at page 54. I feel like I have been here a long time and everyone has been great. Just a few comments, I was fortunate and had great luck with my first "baking day". I used organic unbleached flour and distilled water. I did cover mine with a wet light weight dish towel (it is quit thin, since it has seen plenty of use). This may have led to the success of Mother, since I live in Minnesota and the furnace has been running quit a bit this winter, so the house tends to be dryer. My first loaf, baked only yesterday is gone. I take care of my 5 year old grandson during the week - this morning when he arrived he wanted "peanut butter bread", I had 2 slices of bread remaining - Griffin got one with peanut butter, and Grandpa got the other one with strawberry rhubarb jam. Griffin came back about 2 hours later wanting another slice of "peanut butter bread", I reached for a slice of homemade yeast bread, and was told no, I want that other bread. I told him I didn't have any left, but I would make more next week. He told me he didn't want any then, because my other bread was icky. Now I know my other bread is not icky, but I think he likes sourdough better, as does his Grandpa. I will be feeding Mother more this week, I need to bake more than 1 loaf of bread. So for all of you that are having a slower start - patience, it is worth the attempts and the wait. Thanks for being such an awesome group - and MaryJane, you have created a monster (a good one), I know Griffin will be asking me for "good" bread everyday until I bake again.

Gail

Farmgirl Sister #506
A Smile a Day . . .
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2009 :  10:24:44 AM  Show Profile
Oh...how cute!!!! We may have to all pitch in and overnight some sourdough to little Griffin! Thanks for the motivation and inspiration Gail! You are a true farm girl and I think you just might win the MJ Butter's Sourdough Award for 2009!!!! Julie isn't eligible since she is the moderator for this thread. Tee! Hee!

Farmgirl Sister #226

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 80 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Bread the MaryJane Way Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page