Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22896 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22896 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2009 :  2:36:01 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Elinor- I bet your glass jar is fabulous! What a find!

Congrats Donna!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Sewsmartie
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Martie

7 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2009 :  2:41:47 PM  Show Profile
Well, I lost my post as Yahoo timed out. So thanks to Julie for the index of recipes. I appreciate it so much. I may just try a 3rd time and hope for the sucess I have not yet had. Very disappointing!

Just received a back issue for October-November. Hope to find something wonderful in it. My local newsstand does not get too many copies of the magazine so I have now subscribed!

Really hope that my luck with the bread improves! Like the mother starter I just keep on going, bubbles and all! My starter is now in its 3rd week. I just want to be able to make "soup bowls" like Panera has for soup.

Still hopeful, but fast becoming doubtful!

Sewsmartie
Go to Top of Page

GailMN
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Gail
Hutchinson Minnesota
USA
471 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2009 :  06:39:20 AM  Show Profile  Send GailMN a Yahoo! Message

Good Morning everyone. Just wanted to post a quick update on "Mother". I have learned so much from this thread, so maybe my experience will help someone else as well.

I am in week two, Saturday will be my baking day - I was very successful with my first baking attempt, so this week I am increasing the amount of "Mother". I was a little nervous about adding more, didn't want to upset "Mother", but all is well. "Mother" is very active and healthy. I fed about an hour ago, and already she is as bubbly as ever with a pleasant beer aroma. This week I plan to make pancakes and bread of some sort, have not yet decided. My neighbor would also like me to share "Mother", so I will do that as well, but that may have to wait until next week.

I used organic unbleached white whole wheat flour to start and feed, but I use regular flour when I bake. I would use organic, but have not found larger packages in my area, hope to find a store where I can get at least 10 pound and stock up. I also use distilled water and I store the container by a heat vent in my kitchen, "Mother" seems to thrive on the warm water. I keep my bowl covered with a damp towel at all times, I am in Minnesota and my furnace runs a lot, so the house even though humidified is on the dry side.

I'm looking forward to Saturday and PANCAKES!

Gail

Farmgirl Sister #506
A Smile a Day . . .
Go to Top of Page

Pat in Tenn
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Pat
Tennessee
19 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2009 :  09:05:48 AM  Show Profile
Hey Ladies,

Just checking in with all !! I am enjoying reading about everyone's progress. I was unable to get my organic flour yesterday while shopping. The store did not carry any. I will have to go somewhere else to find some. I know it is in the area, I just was not at the right store yesterday.

I will keep reading here and hope to get my flour by the week-end.

***Donna-- I am so happy for you. I have been reading about your trials with this.

Pat in Tenn
Born in the city but married to the country for over 22 yrs !
http://onlybygodsgrace.blogspot.com/
http://www.homesteadblogger.com/inhishands/
Go to Top of Page

AnnaCarolina
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Anna
Union Mills NC
USA
2 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2009 :  09:38:36 AM  Show Profile
Hi Everyone! I am brand new to MaryJane and sourdough. I bought my first copy of the magazine a few weeks ago -- attracted by the lovely graphics AND the promise of fast, easy artisan bread. I started my mother last week, encounted a few questions, and found my way here.

Long story short -- after a few promising, bubbly days, mother started to fizzle. Big bubbles turned into tiny bubbles. It still smelled "alive" so I baked a loaf anyway. Got a wonderful smelling kitchen-- and a flat dense brick of bread. And a very disappointed husband :-( I tried resuscitating her for a few days, but finally gave up on her. She's now at peace in the compost pile.

I would love to try again, but honestly don't have time to read through all the comments here. After reading the first 15 pages, I finally skipped to the end. I think it would be tremendously helpful if the editors could sift through all of the tips offered on this site and rewrite the recipe. What do you think?

My guess is mother started failing when the weather turned cold last week. We live in Western North Carolina and tend to keep the heat turned down. Our house can get cool at times. I remember my Mom (not to be confused with "mother") baking yeast bread and being very fussy about keeping the dough "cozy" during the rise. I thought sourdough would be heartier, able to survive sojourns west in covered wagons... I guessed wrong?

I did find King Arthur Unbleached Bread Flour -- not organic. I thought "organic" referred to growing methods. Are there organic milling techniques also?

Could altitude affect results? Dry dishtowel, wet dishtowel? I went for the free form loaf. Directions said to let the dough rise on the baking sheet covered with thin dishtowel. Again back to Mom's yeast bread; she always let the dough rise in a bowl. My dough spread out (a little) on the cookie sheet during the 8 hour rise. I wonder if it were in a bowl would it have risen up instead of spread out?

So, what do you think? Should Mary Jane reprint the recipe with a few more tips? Also, in the magazine, it would be nice if the directions were spelled out in one spot "recipe style," in addition to more detailed instruction included in the text. Your magazine is absolutely beautiful and I'm looking forward to the next issue!

life is good
Go to Top of Page

Quintessential Kate
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Kate
Tyler TX
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2009 :  10:42:44 AM  Show Profile
Hi Anna.......welcome to the farm!!
I think many of us were unsuccessful the first few weeks of starting our start. Seems like everybody has a starter that acts a bit different from the others, but they ALL take time. Mine, for example, took almost a month before I got the quintessential artisan loaf. I keep my house on the cool/cold side....so, like many others, I put mine in the oven with the light on while it rises. It has been suggested that for the first "bake" or two, one might rather make sourdough pancakes while the start is maturing. Ronna's San Francisco style bread on page 13 of this thread is a good bread to make when first starting out also.
My start is now about 2 months old....and it's pretty humid here so I only wet my towel every couple of days....where others, in other parts of the country are having to wet their towel every day...and sometimes twice per day. There are so many variables that it would be impossible to cover all the "if's". Most importantly is patience...as I said, I didn't get my beautiful loaf for almost a month........BUT it was so worth it.
I have noticed that when it's really cold my start is not as active....but she's a voracious eater, and if I check her about 45 minutes to an hour after feeding her, she's bubbling like crazy. I've gotten to the point where she is a forgiving thing....and I find that I'm not babying her like I did when I first started. She's happy, well fed, always has a clean place to live.....and pays us well for her room and board.
I hope you give it another try......because the payoff is well worth it. I plan on keeping "Ma" around for a long time.
Again, welcome to the Farm!!
Ciao, Kate

Heart of Texas
Chapter
AKA: Hot Farmgirl #234
http://quintessentialkate.blogspot.com

Today is my best day!
Go to Top of Page

lupinelady99
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Lisa
Massena New York
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2009 :  12:10:32 PM  Show Profile  Send lupinelady99 an ICQ Message  Click to see lupinelady99's MSN Messenger address
Anna, I too was a bit overwhelmed by the size of the forum at first when I joined at page 57. What I found helped was to sit down and take it a few pages at a time over a cup of coffee. Set a small goal of reading a few pages each time you sit down and as someone suggested take notes on things or use cut & paste to glean out the things that interest you. Later you can look over the notes you took and work with them.

Please don't be discouraged. There are many great members here that are willing to help and lend support.

I'm just a newbie, but it sounds like your starter was doing fine. It just was young. Like a child, it needed more time to mature. Disappointment seems to be a theme that I keep coming across from the reading that I have done this week on the subject of sourdough starter. The cause? We are more impatient and set a different value on our time than our ancestors did. Working with wild yeast isn't the same as the experience of working with packaged yeast. Sourdough is an investment in your future joy. Like a bank account. Each week you invest $5. At the end of the first week you won't have your first million, but your are $35 closer to your goal.
Go to Top of Page

AnnaCarolina
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Anna
Union Mills NC
USA
2 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2009 :  12:46:00 PM  Show Profile
...Poor mother! perhaps I tossed her into the heap too soon!

Thanks! Your response is helpful and hopeful! I'll do a little more reading try again!

life is good
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2009 :  3:22:05 PM  Show Profile
Anna, It definitely takes Mother some time to mature. My first few loaves were flat and dense also. Try the cinnamon raisin bread MJ included in the article, I had more success with that at first. And it is delicous!
Go to Top of Page

lupinelady99
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Lisa
Massena New York
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2009 :  5:02:15 PM  Show Profile  Send lupinelady99 an ICQ Message  Click to see lupinelady99's MSN Messenger address
Have to share my "funny" with all of you. Recently have been neglecting my housework more than usual due to some health problems. Also the house has a bit of the closed up winter blues smell to it. Tonight I got a call from a lady that wants to visit on Sunday for the first time to bring her basset hound over to meet mine for a possible breeding. After I hung up there was that minute of panic that I need to get things caught up before then and get rid of the closed house smell! I'm sure that is a feeling that some of you know well, lol. Then I walked into the kitchen and looked at "mother". Sunday will be baking day! Woohoo! If that can't chase away the closed up house smell, nothing will. "Mother" saves the day!
Go to Top of Page

Liz103811
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Liz
Edina MN
USA
2 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2009 :  5:13:27 PM  Show Profile
I love having a Reuben sandwich on St. Patrick's Day. Do you have any suggestions for making a pumpernickel bread the Mary Jane Way?
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2009 :  5:41:13 PM  Show Profile
Lisa....I LOVE it when a plan comes together! That's great!!!!

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226

www.farmgirlsam.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

gramax18
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

Elinor
meeker Colorado
USA
106 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2009 :  9:26:42 PM  Show Profile
I heard Elton Brown on food network last night say that wild yeast and sourdough are like having a pet. "They need to be looked after every day." But I say they are like a puppy that needs to grow up before it does what you want it too do.
Keep working at it.

Elinor
Go to Top of Page

Quintessential Kate
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Kate
Tyler TX
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2009 :  05:21:32 AM  Show Profile
Great analogy Elinor!!! Kinda like kids too...... or a young husband.......the list goes on!!!

Ciao, Kate

Heart of Texas
Chapter
AKA: Hot Farmgirl #234
http://quintessentialkate.blogspot.com

Today is my best day!
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2009 :  07:44:15 AM  Show Profile
Hi Everyone! I have been VERY sick with the flu this week! I was finally up and around last night a little and am feeling mostly back to myself today! I am sorry I have missed so many conversations and questions! I will do my best to get them all answered throughout today and this weekend. If I overlook your question please let me know! I don't want to miss anybody!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2009 :  07:50:48 AM  Show Profile
Linda - mold is a tough issue and everyone has a different opinion about it and about what is too much mold or "just a little so it wont hurt". I would suggest you do what you feel is right for you on that issue. The "rubbery crust" is usually an indication that your starter is starting to dry. A moist towel on top or a little extra water when feeding will take care of the problem. If you continually feed the starter it wont get too old. Some starters in some bakeries have actually been around for 100's of years!!! If you don't bake everyweek it is OKAY! I would suggest that you try to remove the excess starter that is built up within a week or so by doing a double recipe on your next baking day or by discarding it.

Lisa - Welcome to the forum! We look forward to your contributions!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2009 :  07:57:45 AM  Show Profile
Sharon - If you are doubling your amount in feeding and your starter is at least a week old you will be able to use the excess at any time!

Lisa - I have read a little bit about "bread enhancers" but haven't used them nor do I know much about them. If you have any information I would love to hear it!

Ronna and Sam - thanks for chiming in and for your advice. Thanks Ronna about the info on enhancers. I have a question for you. I have read that salt can disrupt the rise of yeast. What do you know about this?

Judy - That is SO interesting! I wonder if that would help some of the rest of us who had issues with the yeast seamingly not working! I wonder what would cause that!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2009 :  08:08:44 AM  Show Profile
Hi Anna - My understanding is that MaryJanes intent is to eventually do more with this whole bread thing than just an article or a web forum. She mentions possibly doing a whole BOOK based on this technique and the recipes using it. In many ways we are helping to research this for her by posting about it here on the forum. Right now we are really building on a technique rather than a recipe. I know the forum can be overwhelming. If you have any questions, please post them. I will be happy to answer them again! Also - I experimented with three types of flour. The KA All Purpose, The KA Bread Flour and MaryJanes farm flour. I was REALLY disappointed with the KA Bread Flour. EVERY loaf I tried to make with it came out gummy in the middle even when cooked to temperature. It has to do with the gluten content of the flour and the fact that this is a no knead bread. I would recommend that you switch to the KA All Purpose flour rather than the Bread flour.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2009 :  08:11:04 AM  Show Profile
Liz - I'm working on a recipe I'd like to try for Pumpernickle. I will try to work on it this weekend and homefully post early next week so you can make it for St. Pats day!

If I missed any of your questions let me know!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2009 :  08:26:36 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Julie! I do hope you will continue to get better soon! :)

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2009 :  09:09:38 AM  Show Profile
Julie, yes, salt retards the yeast action. I honestly do not know how much difference this makes using a starter and no yeast. I put the salt in the last cup of flour, so it's not forgotten and is mixed in after the initial amount of flour. On the other hand, sugar increases yeast action as well as a pinch of ginger or ascorbic acid crystals (can crush a vitamin C tablet and use just a pinch).
If you mix a bread dough and sweet roll dough at the same time, the extra sugar in the sweet dough will rise the dough twice as much.
Glad you're feeling better now. Lots of illness going around all over the USA.
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2009 :  09:29:23 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
I'm jumping in here with a question. I began my starter two weeks ago tomorrow. My previous attempt failed but this one is going great. Last week I made pancakes with the starter using Julie's recipe and they were fantastic. This week I'm going to try Marcia's recipe. I would like to be able to make a batch of pancakes AND a loaf of bread each week.

My question is: can I use the existing starter and double that batch or do I need to start a double batch from scratch? If I can use the existing one, how do I do it? Add 2/3 cups flour and 1/2 cup water every day next week or do I need to use the initial day 1 amounts tomorrow plus 1/3 cup flour and 1/4 cup water?

Thanks for your help. Julie, I'm glad you're feeling better. Having the flu can be absolutely miserable.

God bless -
Karen ~ Farmgirl Sister #311
www.livingwell4you.blogspot.com
www.heritagehillsfarm.blogspot.com

"To own a little bit of ground, to scratch it with a hoe, to plant seeds and watch the renewal of life - this is the commonest delight of the race, the most satisfactory thing a man can do." Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2009 :  09:59:00 AM  Show Profile
You can just add extra to your existing batch. You can do the 2/3 flour and 1/2 cup water all at once in the morning or you can start doing a feeding in the morning and in the evening. After a week if you don't want to continue doubling just go back to the original amounts.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2009 :  10:58:23 AM  Show Profile
Julie....SO glad you are feeling better! You poor thing....it's those germy kids I tell ya! They are sweeties but they are germy! You take good care of yourself and get your rest! And eat more sourdough...supposed to be good for the immune system.
Hugs from a distance (I don't want to catch it!) LOL!
Love ya..........

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226

www.farmgirlsam.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2009 :  11:49:17 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Thanks, Julie

God bless -
Karen ~ Farmgirl Sister #311
www.livingwell4you.blogspot.com
www.heritagehillsfarm.blogspot.com

"To own a little bit of ground, to scratch it with a hoe, to plant seeds and watch the renewal of life - this is the commonest delight of the race, the most satisfactory thing a man can do." Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 80 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Bread the MaryJane Way Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page