Page: of 80

lupinelady99
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Lisa
Massena New York
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2009 :  6:35:17 PM  Show Profile  Send lupinelady99 an ICQ Message  Click to see lupinelady99's MSN Messenger address
Julie,

In the dog biscuit recipe...i used 1/2 cup of oats and 1/2 cup of corn meal this time and the dough rolled out for cutting with cookie cutters much better...but the recipe is a definite keeper! My dogs enjoy having my home baked cookies so much more than the junk they sell in the stores. They store well too. The sourdough is agreeing with their digestive tracts better than my old recipe too, so we covered the old recipe card up with your new recipe. Thanks again!

http://www.myspace.com/lupinelady99
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2009 :  7:00:24 PM  Show Profile
Wow! I was away for about a day and a half and you girls went crazy!
I too have had success with pampered chef stoneware pans. I dont have the loaf pan though I would like to get one.

Yes a hungry starter will rise quicker. You should wait at least 12 hours after your last feeding to mix up a recipe. However it is not recpommended to wait much more than 12 to 24 hours because this is when your starter will give off the alcohols(hooch) that add to the sourness. Unless you like yours REALLY sour than waiting 24 hours or more would be fine.

Lisa - my dog has an allergy to corn so I do not use cornmeal. In fact most dogs that have skin irritation problems are actually allergic to the corn products found in most dog food!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

mystree
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Barbara
Edgewood New Mexico
USA
8 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2009 :  8:09:27 PM  Show Profile
I had written earlier about my failure (pg. 74) with my first batch and a lot of people agreed that they had the trouble with their first batch also. Well, after letting my "mother" rest for a day, it had no bubble and grey sludge on it that smelled more like something dead and rotting than stout beer. So I've had to start my mother all over again. Wish me luck with the first batch of the new mother. Four more days to go.

Edited by - mystree on Mar 25 2009 8:11:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

lupinelady99
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Lisa
Massena New York
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2009 :  9:19:07 PM  Show Profile  Send lupinelady99 an ICQ Message  Click to see lupinelady99's MSN Messenger address
Julie, luckily mine aren't allergic to the corn meal that I buy for baking. My one 10 year old basset has seasonal allergies due to some plant that we can't narrow down and we have a hard time from August to October with her. Her new doctors are much more proactive and last year went better. My 1 year old male basset has had an immature digestive tract and is prone to diarrhea. The vet has had me being careful with the type of food he gets and he gets plain organic yogurt with active cultures and that has helped so much. Hence why I started to bake my own treats in an effort to keep inferior quality food, preservatives, etc. out of their snacks.

Barbara, sorry to hear of your problems. Hope that this next batch goes better!

Go to Top of Page

urban farm girl
True Blue Farmgirl

80 Posts

Melissa
Posen IL
USA
80 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2009 :  07:13:48 AM  Show Profile
Well I did the brownies..good...yesterday I made a stromboli with the pizza dough filled with broccoli,cheese,salami and some marinara sauce very good. Next I want to try the olive garlic bread. This whole thing is way too cool!!! Have a good day girls!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Farmers Daughter
True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

DiAnn

90 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2009 :  08:18:39 AM  Show Profile
Lisa~ I wonder too if the cover over the top of the bread, for those who are having trouble with the free form loaves on a cookie sheet, if it would help give the bread something to rise up in and not spread out so much. The sides of the container would stop it from spreading flat and give it a reason to go up. Very interesting. Thanks for the idea.
Go to Top of Page

Sewsmartie
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Martie

7 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2009 :  09:22:51 AM  Show Profile
Sorry, gals, but this diehard Mom is giving up on her "mother"! After 4 weeks and 3 unsucessful bakings I am going back to yeast. All is not in vain, however, I discovered KA Flour and that was worth it!

Martie

Sewsmartie
Go to Top of Page

Quintessential Kate
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Kate
Tyler TX
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2009 :  4:08:38 PM  Show Profile
Martie,
Sorry you have had such a hard time with your "mother" and breadmaking. I think with the shift in weather......it becoming warmer, you will find your start is going to go crazy.
You know, you can still use your sourdough start with yeast and make some awesome loaves.
Anyway Martie.....again, sorry for your time and effort not coming to fruition.
Ciao, Kath

Heart of Texas
Chapter
AKA: Hot Farmgirl #234
http://quintessentialkate.blogspot.com

Today is my best day!
Go to Top of Page

urban farm girl
True Blue Farmgirl

80 Posts

Melissa
Posen IL
USA
80 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2009 :  4:52:47 PM  Show Profile
Martie I tried and tried with no luck about four times. I made a new starter and then I tried the honey wheat oatmeal bread and finally I had some success....I like the fact now I make all different recipes with the starter... I'm hooked on this.
Go to Top of Page

lupinelady99
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Lisa
Massena New York
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2009 :  5:17:05 PM  Show Profile  Send lupinelady99 an ICQ Message  Click to see lupinelady99's MSN Messenger address
Martie, sorry this didn't work out for you. There are tons of different sourdough starter recipes to try so I hope you'll try again when you are ready. There are also places that you can buy a starter (King Arthur among them) or you can try to find someone that has some starter to share in your area (friends, freecycle groups, church groups, or try an ad in a local free paper are places to start).

Go to Top of Page

lupinelady99
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Lisa
Massena New York
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2009 :  5:24:01 PM  Show Profile  Send lupinelady99 an ICQ Message  Click to see lupinelady99's MSN Messenger address
Sourdough Blueberry Muffins (from Sourdough Home)

This recipe, like most muffins, is a quickbread recipe. It rises due to the interaction of the sourdough starter's acid and the baking soda. As a result no rise time is required. Just mix and pop in the oven. As with any muffin, take care to not overmix the batter.

These muffins are not very sweet. If you prefer a sweeter muffin, increase the sugar to 1/2 cup, Some diabetics use fructose as the sweetner instead of sugar. I use regular size muffin pans (about 2 inch size) and fill the cups to the top to make good size muffins. Let them cool a few minutes in the pans for easier removal.

If you fill the cups only 2/3 full, this will probably make 8 muffins.

Ingredients

1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup oil
1 cup sourdough starter
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup sugar or fructose
1/2 cup blueberries

Method

Preheat oven to 425F.

Combine dry ingredients in small bowl. Stir in blueberries. Combine wet ingredients in medium bowl. Add dry ingredients to wet ones.

Mix quickly and spoon into 6 muffin cups (spray cups with Baker's Joy).

Bake at 425 for about 20 minutes.

Go to Top of Page

lupinelady99
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Lisa
Massena New York
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2009 :  5:25:35 PM  Show Profile  Send lupinelady99 an ICQ Message  Click to see lupinelady99's MSN Messenger address
Blueberry Sourdough Breakfast Bread Recipe (from Cooking Cache)

1 cup sourdough starter
1/4 cup shortening -- softened
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
1 cup unbleached white flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup blueberries

-- TOPPING:

1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup butter -- softened

1. Bring the starter to room tempterature in a large bowl. In another bowl, cream the shortening and sugar together and then beat in the egg and milk. Turn this mixture into the bowl with the sourdough starter and sift in the flour, salt and baking soda. Mix very well. Gently fold in the blueberries. If they are canned be sure to drain them thoroughly before using.

2. Pour the batter into a well greased 8-inch square pan and allow to stand in a warm place for at least 20 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the topping.

FOR TOPPING:

Stir topping ingredients together with a fork until the mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle the topping over the bread batter just before baking in a preheated 375°F oven for 45 to 50 minutes. Do not underbake as this is a moist bread. It will pull away from the sides of the pan when done, although some of the sugar topping may cling to the sides.

Go to Top of Page

lupinelady99
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Lisa
Massena New York
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2009 :  6:05:04 PM  Show Profile  Send lupinelady99 an ICQ Message  Click to see lupinelady99's MSN Messenger address
Chocolate Bread (Jason Horn)

• Combine 1/4 cup water, 1/4 cup flour, and about 2 tablespoons starter. Cover and let sit 8-12 hours (I do this Monday night before I go to bed).
• Add 1/2 cup flour and 1/2 cup water. Cover and let sit 8-12 hours more (I do this Tuesday morning before work).
• Add 2 cups water, about 1 tablespoon kosher salt, 1/4 cup sugar, and 4-6 ounces melted chocolate (try to get it half melted, so there's some liquid and some chunks). Stir in flour with electric mixer until dough is no longer sticky, 4 to 8 cups, depending on humidity and other ingredients. (I do this around 10 pm Tuesday night).
• Let dough rest 1-2 hours, then split in half. Form each half into a loaf and let rise overnight in a cold oven.
• Turn oven to 425° F, and bake 40-45 minutes.

Go to Top of Page

lupinelady99
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Lisa
Massena New York
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2009 :  6:06:58 PM  Show Profile  Send lupinelady99 an ICQ Message  Click to see lupinelady99's MSN Messenger address
Title: Sourdough Rolled Chocolate Cookies
Categories: Cookies
Yield: 1 servings

2 c Flour
1/2 c Sourdough starter
1/2 ts Salt
1/2 c Shortening
3/4 c Sugar
1 Egg
2 tb Rum
1 ts Vanilla
2 oz Unsweetened chocolate
Melted and cooled
1 c Uncooked quick oatmeal

Recipe by: Martha Sparks
Sift together the flour and salt in a bowl. Add the softened
shortening, sugar, egg, rum vanilla and sourdough. Add the melted
chocolate. Beat until smooth. Add the oats, beat well. Chill for about 1
hour in refrigerator. Roll on lightly floured board to 1/8 inch thick. Cut
with cookie cutter. Place on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake in preheated over
350 for 10 to 12 minutes.

Go to Top of Page

lupinelady99
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Lisa
Massena New York
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2009 :  6:09:35 PM  Show Profile  Send lupinelady99 an ICQ Message  Click to see lupinelady99's MSN Messenger address
Shelburne Sourdough Chocolate Waffles

First Day:

1 cup unsalted butter

2 cups whole or 2% milk

4 Tablespoons Brown Sugar, packed

2 cups White Starter

2 teaspoons salt

3 cups all purpose flour

½ cup Dutch process cocoa

Second Day:

4 large eggs

½ teaspoon baking soda

¼ cup buttermilk

Vegetable oil

First Day

On the evening before you serve the waffles, prepare the initial waffle batter:

Place butter, milk and brown sugar in a saucepan over low heat and stir until butter melts. Set aside to cool to room temperature.

Add White Starter to the above cooled mixture. Sift remaining ingredients, flour, salt and cocoa. Whisk dry ingredients into starter mixture until blended, being careful not to over mix. Cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap and let the batter stand at room temperature for 8 to 14 hours

Second Day

Preheat the waffle iron 20 minutes before you will be ready to make your waffles. Uncover the batter and whisk the eggs and baking soda in until well combined. The batter should be quite thick and elastic. Add buttermilk to thin batter a little bit. Lightly brush the hot waffle iron with a little vegetable oil. Pour ¾ cup of batter onto the hot waffle iron. Close the lid and let the waffle cook until it is crisp, yet done on the inside, about 5 minutes. Repeat for each waffle.

Go to Top of Page

lupinelady99
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Lisa
Massena New York
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2009 :  6:11:57 PM  Show Profile  Send lupinelady99 an ICQ Message  Click to see lupinelady99's MSN Messenger address
Sourdough Hot Cross Buns
1/2 tablespoon active dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water (105-115 degrees)
1 1/2- 2 cups flour
1/4 cup warm milk (105-115 degrees)
1 cup sourdough starter (see link)
2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup chopped red and green candied cherries
1/4 cup golden raisins
Confectioners' Icing

1. Dissolve yeast in warm water. Set aside for 5 minutes. Combine 1 cup flour, milk, sourdough starter, sugar, salt, butter, vanilla, and yeast mixture in mixing bowl.

2. Add cherries, raisins, and enough remaining flour to make a soft dough. Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth — about 10 minutes.

3. Place in greased bowl, turning to coat top. Cover; let rise in warm place until double — about 1 hour.

3. Punch down dough. Divide into 12 equal pieces. Shape into balls. Place on greased baking sheet.

5. Cover; let rise in warm place until double — about 30 minutes. Bake in a preheated oven (400°) for 15-20 minutes or until done.

6. Cool on wire rack. Make crosses on top of buns with Confectioners' Icing.

Recipe Source: Festive Bread Book

Go to Top of Page

candela59
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

Peggy
White Swan WA
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2009 :  06:04:04 AM  Show Profile  Send candela59 a Yahoo! Message
Good morning all!

I'm going to try Ronna's San Francisco Sourdough today. I'm setting aside some of "Mum" and then I'm going to feed her. I plan on baking Ronna's bread today and then baking again on Sunday. I've been giving her "double" feedings so that I would wind up with enough starter for at least 2 bakings a week.

This will be the second try with "Mum" and I'm thinking I'll be successful due to the yeast that's included in this recipe. Sunday I'll probably try the Farmhouse White Bread again. I'm praying for something other than a hockey puck!

I'll check in later and let you know how the SF Sourdough turned out!

www.thewanderlustgirl.blogspot.com

"Happiness is not having what you want, it is wanting what you have."

Go to Top of Page

Farmers Daughter
True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

DiAnn

90 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2009 :  07:41:32 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the Hot Cross buns recipe. I am going to give them a try.
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2009 :  5:38:30 PM  Show Profile
Note to new bakers: I posted that recipe (from Sunset Magazine) on page 13 when so many were getting bricks. It is not what MaryJane had in mind when she started this discussion. I thought some might be encouraged to keep trying if they were able to bake a good loaf and it's been helpful to many. Her methods, recipes and terminology are her own and may not necessarily coincide with info you will find on other websites or lists. I hope that many farmgirls will refer back to the beginning of this thread and MaryJanes Farm magazine for her Artisan Bread the MaryJane way. Because my experience and opinions aren't always the same as hers, I've tried to be helpful but not confuse new bakers. Take baby steps, don't rush to make bread and using common sense will result in successful bread baking.

Edited by - Ronna on Mar 27 2009 8:18:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

Farmers Daughter
True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

DiAnn

90 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2009 :  11:04:01 PM  Show Profile
Ronna~ I appreciate your advice and the recipe. I used it twice (during my first weeks of starting my Mother) Never ended up with a brick. So I am very happy you shared. Now I am making bread with MJ original recipe. So your ideas did exactly what you intended them to do on my end. It kept me going and encouraged till my starter was ready to do it on it's own.
Thank you!
Go to Top of Page

Quintessential Kate
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Kate
Tyler TX
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2009 :  05:57:19 AM  Show Profile
Ronna,
I "ditto" what DiAnn said. I used your recipe twice while my starter was maturing, but now I am making my artisan bread every week without a hitch. You DID encourage me....and I thank you immensely.
Kate

Heart of Texas
Chapter
AKA: Hot Farmgirl #234
http://quintessentialkate.blogspot.com

Today is my best day!
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2009 :  08:51:04 AM  Show Profile
Kind of to add to what ronna said - Maryjanes goal for this starter is to help us create a variety of sweet and savory breads that require little or no kneading. I have been trying to share with you a variety of recipes at varying levels of difficulty. I will share another one on Sunday night. I am so glad you are all getting into this. Our coments and posts will really help MaryJane out as she collects info on her bread idea. I would encourage you to try to stick to recipes, for the most part, that do not include added yeast. I would also discourage you from using recipes that include shortening. (all natural butter can usually be easily substituted measure for measure). The wonderful thing about BREADTHEMARYJANEWAY is it ease and versatility. Keep baking and keep sharing your recipes! Just keep SIMPLICITY in mind!! :)

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

lupinelady99
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Lisa
Massena New York
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2009 :  09:14:48 AM  Show Profile  Send lupinelady99 an ICQ Message  Click to see lupinelady99's MSN Messenger address
Mary Jane has wonderful ideas and I am going to take a photo copy of the original article and have it laminated to keep in the kitchen to refer back to. Of course, I also enjoy reading what others have to say on the subject or sourdough. The opinions are many for sure, and it seems that you can make it as hard or simple as you want to make it. When something that sounds interesting or that confuses me comes up, I like to share it here on the list to get feedback from the group since there are so many of us. How can you pass up the advantage of having so many experienced and creative people all in one place! It is never an attempt to send the original MJ starter or breads off topic.

Just set to rise a loaf of Mary Jane's farmhouse bread with a few additions. I used the original recipe from the article and added 2 teaspoons tomato paste made from sun-dried tomatoes, 1/2 teaspoon roasted chopped garlic, and 1/4 teaspoon of dried chopped basil leaves. Instead of using a wooden spoon to mix the ingredients together, I used my hands to get the tomato paste blended throughout the loaf. Placed it into my medium sized oven-safe stoneware bowl for the rise. Will let you all know later how it turns out.

Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2009 :  09:38:36 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Ladies! I might add that most any baking recipe you're using can have improved flavor by adding a 1/2 cup or more of starter. You don't need to revamp your whole recipe file. If the consistency is about the same as your starter, adjustments to flour or liquid should not be needed. Our grand and great grandmothers didn't have measuring cups-butter the size of an egg, a teacup full of flour-you can be sure it varied from one to another and they did just fine. Make this fun, not a chore.
Go to Top of Page

candela59
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

Peggy
White Swan WA
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2009 :  2:38:33 PM  Show Profile  Send candela59 a Yahoo! Message
I made Ronna's SF Sourdough yesterday simply because my first week I did get the proverbal hockey puck. I had been double feeding Mum all week so that I could bake several times without depleteing her. Ronna~ the bread was great, as was the feeling of satisfaction with a successful bake! This morning I made an Amish style coffee cake using 2 cups of Mum and DH and I enjoyed the most wonderful breakfast ever. To show the versitility of MJ's starter this recipe called for the sweeter starter commonly called Herman. Well, I just decided to use Mum instead with wonderful results. I still have enough left to try MJ's basic white
Farmhouse loaf tomorrow. I can't wait to try it because my starter is so creamy, bubbly and wonderful smelling right now. I'll let everyone know how it turns out. I just love coming here for all of the ideas and encouragement.

www.thewanderlustgirl.blogspot.com

"Happiness is not having what you want, it is wanting what you have."

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 80 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Bread the MaryJane Way Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page