willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2009 :  10:27:35 AM  Show Profile
I LOVE zucchini bread! Thanks for the recipe. Cant wait til I have some fresh in my garden!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

lupinelady99
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Lisa
Massena New York
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2009 :  12:21:18 PM  Show Profile  Send lupinelady99 an ICQ Message  Click to see lupinelady99's MSN Messenger address
I finally got a chance to play in the kitchen today. Lately I have just been baking bread once a week. Here's a little dessert for you.

I LOVE BUTTERSCOTCH BROWNIES

1 cup flour
1 cup steel cut oats
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
½ cup butter
1 cup coconut flakes
1 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 eggs
1 cup of chopped nuts (optional)
1 bag Nestle butterscotch baking chips
1 cup sourdough starter

Cut butter into pieces and place in a microwave safe dish. Add butterscotch chips. Microwave to melt, stopping to stir throughout the melting process or use a double boiler.

Mix dry ingredients in a bowl.

Add wet ingredients to dry. Stir just until mixed.

Place batter in a 9 inch square greased baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into squares.

You could frost them if you wish or serve them with a little vanilla ice cream for something a little more fancy.

http://www.myspace.com/lupinelady99
Go to Top of Page

Teacher Mommy
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Linda
Santa Cruz CA
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2009 :  12:40:50 PM  Show Profile
OH, I am sad! I lost my mother and I've been baking the most wonderful breads these last two weeks. No additional yeast and great texture.

The weather warmed up and I started to really cover my bowl with a crock top that fit snugly to keep it moist. Also, opening the doors in the evening allowed wee insects to buzz around it, probably smelled too good to be true to them. I don't know what did the deed ultimately, but the mother got moldy.

I have a cunning plan, however... I am going to still cover my baby starter (not quite a mother yet... more a "sister," eh?) but, I'll do it with a clear glass pie plate. Light inhibits mold growth, and I keep my bowl near a sunny window. The question is, does it also inhibit yeast production? Could be. I let you know how it goes. THEN... I'm freezing my next mother, as well, to keep myself from such a sorrowful loss.
Go to Top of Page

lupinelady99
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Lisa
Massena New York
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2009 :  2:19:52 PM  Show Profile  Send lupinelady99 an ICQ Message  Click to see lupinelady99's MSN Messenger address
Linda, sorry to hear of your loss. It was a set back for sure!

We're having crazy weather here in Northern NY. Yesterday was nearly 90, today mid-50s, and tomorrow back to near 90 and my starter is having minor adjustment troubles too (many years we are still trying to get rid of the snow & ice at this time). It has also been uncharacteristically dry here with very very low humidity levels for what is normal to this area. I have had to keep my mother covered with a moist towel constantly (re-wetting several times a day and frequent towel cleaning in boiling water to keep them from being a germ magnet) and then during the hottest part of the day I keep a loose fitting clear lid on the bowl. I don't keep the lid on anymore than is needed because I think that the starter needs to have air circulation to keep it healthy and active. Thankfully no mold here, but I think that might be because my starter got extra sour again. I don't like it extra sour for bread, but that can be fixed easily enough especially if it means that it isn't moldy.

Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2009 :  2:52:09 PM  Show Profile
Linda - you really need to be using a loose fitting cover. Maryjane recommends a simple tea towel and a plate to help keep it in place. The started needs air circulation to work and grow. The only time a tight fitting lid should be used is when you are temporarily storing your starter in the fridge and not feeding it. A loose fitting lid will also allow the gases that are created while the starter bubbles to escape.

If you are having troble with flies etc, try placing a small mouth jar with a little bit of vinegar in it near your starter. The vinegar attracts the bugs and they fall in and drown.

Good luck!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

karinf
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Karin
Lake City Tn.
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2009 :  4:15:49 PM  Show Profile
I have tried the basic recipe, and it worked. I had real sourdough bread but more sour than I had anticipated. It took a couple of weeks before I could make it edible by adding additional honey. I purchased King Arthur flour online. The flour is great, and I received it in just a couple of days. I keep my starter going. The only difference I found is that I have to let it rise for quite some time. The last couple of weeks the bread has been delicious. I will try some of the other recipes listed now.
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2009 :  6:23:12 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Karin!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

lupinelady99
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Lisa
Massena New York
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2009 :  9:40:05 PM  Show Profile  Send lupinelady99 an ICQ Message  Click to see lupinelady99's MSN Messenger address
Welcome Karin!

I found that adding about 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of baking soda to the dough helps to calm the sour of an extra sour mother. The sour comes from the natural acid formed from fermentation and the soda neutralizes the acidity.

Go to Top of Page

lupinelady99
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Lisa
Massena New York
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2009 :  9:46:18 PM  Show Profile  Send lupinelady99 an ICQ Message  Click to see lupinelady99's MSN Messenger address
I found this bit of info and though it might help the curious among us. It was written by a man named Jeff who claimed to be a teacher/home brewer/sourdough baker.

Cultured yeast needs oxygen to reproduce, so once it has depleted the oxygen in a starter/sponge/dough, it has pretty much reached the population it's going to have. After this, it shifts its metabolism to anaerobic. Assuming that wild yeast are much the same, this means that letting a starter or sponge sit longer is not going to result in much more yeast, and therefore will not increase its leavening power. It will become more sour (see below).

Lactobacilli are facultative anaerobes (as opposed to obligatory anaerobes), so they will continue to metabolize and reproduce *either with or without oxygen*. However, they only produce lactic acid once the oxygen is depleted, resulting in a more sour starter/sponge/dough the longer you let it sit. I don't think you need to worry about excluding air - the surface above the sponge or whatever is full of CO2 from the yeast, so very little oxygen is going to diffuse into the sponge, especially if you have it covered, and this will keep it from drying out, too. Of course, during this time, the gluten will deteriorate the longer you let it sit.

What does this all mean? If you want a maximally active culture, whip all the air you can into it each time you build it. I add the water first and whip this thin batter to a froth with an electric mixer, then mix in the flour. This results in maximum yeast reproduction. Then, as soon as it has used up all this oxygen, I build it again. Of course, it's hard to tell just when this is, but I generally let a sponge go until it just begins to fall. If you want a more sour bread, let either the starter/sponge/dough go longer. I find that with high protein flour such as bread or hard whole wheat, the dough can withstand two full rises before shaping into loaves, resulting in more flavor (not just more sourness, but that, too).

I hope this little science lesson has practical benefits to your bread baking. If anyone knows more details about how wild yeasts and lactobacilli interact, I'd welcome hearing it, especially if I'm wrong. I suspect the symbiosis of some cultures may change things, but this works with my Poilane (originally) starter.

Go to Top of Page

CherryMeDarlin
True Blue Farmgirl

602 Posts

Cherry
Odenville AL
USA
602 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2009 :  06:57:57 AM  Show Profile
I was reading back through the posts, catching up, and DiAnn, I started LOL when I read you post about chasing the robin away then having to get the dog back while your rising loaf was baking itself! This is EXACTLY the kind of thing that happens to me on what seems like a daily basis! Gives my hubby and lovey girl lots of comedic ammo to use against me!

My mother was much too sour for my tastes like some others. I added a tsp baking soda and had the same results with the "frothiness" and it did help! Our weather here in Bama has jumped from cool spring to hot summer overnight as it tends to do. No gradual warm-ups here! Tonight I bake and am curious how Mama's gonna take it. I was wondering about letting her rise outside on the deck today. Our temp will get in the mid-80's today and our AC is on the fritz right now and I really don't want any additional heat coming from inside until it cools back down to the low 60's tonight. Any thoughts?

~~Cherry~~

"A thing is as simple or as complicated as you make it." --TT Murphy
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2009 :  08:26:19 AM  Show Profile
I think you would be fine to let it rise outside. Cover with a loose towel that isnt touching the dough and just keep an eye on critters! Also being an 80+ environment it will likely rise much faster than you are use to. Keep an eye on it!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2009 :  08:27:23 AM  Show Profile
Also - I would avoid direct sunlight as this will cause a crust to form on the top before baking.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

CherryMeDarlin
True Blue Farmgirl

602 Posts

Cherry
Odenville AL
USA
602 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2009 :  08:30:07 AM  Show Profile
Thank you, Julie! I'm gonna get started as soon as I can drag myself away from here! I'm perusing the recipes to see which one strikes my fancy the most and which I have all ingredients on hand! They all sound so delish!

~~Cherry~~

Go to Top of Page

lupinelady99
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Lisa
Massena New York
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2009 :  10:31:59 AM  Show Profile  Send lupinelady99 an ICQ Message  Click to see lupinelady99's MSN Messenger address
LOL, I too am letting dough rise out on the back porch today so it seems great minds do think alike. I didn't worry so much about the critters stealing it, but did think of my Dad and his brothers. They grew up in a neighborhood with a bakery and were known to help themselves to the occasional loaf of cooling bread that was left on an open sill. It is crazy hot here for the end of April and decided to let the heat go to good use. I'll warm the kitchen up later when I bake the bread and cook the spaghetti for dinner, but well worth it to have family over for dinner.

On the subject of sour. I did notice that my mother gets extra sour not only when I cut down on feedings but also when I cut down on stirring it. Normally I stir my bowl 5 or 6 times a day when passing through the kitchen. I slacked off the last 2 weeks when I got extra busy and the sour really set in again. So, am going to make more of an effort to keep the airflow up and see how it works out.

Go to Top of Page

lupinelady99
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Lisa
Massena New York
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2009 :  10:34:26 AM  Show Profile  Send lupinelady99 an ICQ Message  Click to see lupinelady99's MSN Messenger address
One thing I wanted to add about the butterscotch brownies.

When you go to remove them from the oven the center may seem a little "jiggly" or undercooked. Ignore that. Take them out and let them cool and it sets up perfectly. They are really moist and chewy.

Go to Top of Page

lupinelady99
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Lisa
Massena New York
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2009 :  10:43:36 AM  Show Profile  Send lupinelady99 an ICQ Message  Click to see lupinelady99's MSN Messenger address
I have to ask if anyone has thoughts on cleaning our tea towels, especially now that the weather is getting hot for many. Last thing anyone wants is a germy towel in the kitchen! EWWW!

I've been afraid to launder them with detergent after reading back near the beginning about chemical contamianation of the starter. So, have been putting mine in a pot of boiling water with a little vinegar. Then I let them sit for a little while in that and stir it up good with a wooden spoon. Next I dump that out and rinse them well with some water that was boiled and allowed to cool. Finally I dry them out in the sunshine on the clothes line. So far it has worked well with no problems.

It might be that I am being overly worried. It just concerned me that the scents or chemicals in soaps, fabric softeners, dryer sheets, etc. might then transfer to the mother or dough when I cover them.

Does anyone else have any ideas or comments?

Go to Top of Page

apronwearingmama
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

1 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2009 :  1:18:28 PM  Show Profile
Hello Friends.....I just joined today and my very first issue of MJF was the FEB/MAR. I started the mother a week ago Sunday and baked my first loaf day before yesterday (Sat). I must have done something very wrong, because it did not rise. Any suggestions are welcome.
Go to Top of Page

urban farm girl
True Blue Farmgirl

80 Posts

Melissa
Posen IL
USA
80 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2009 :  1:22:50 PM  Show Profile
Lisa...I wash mine every week...using the homemade laundry soap and dry in the dryer...I read somewhere the heat from the dryer will "kill" the bacteria..???
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2009 :  1:37:06 PM  Show Profile
Apronwearingmama - you didnt do anything wrong! This is actually normal the first few weeks until your starter develops its yeast. I would suggest going with pancakes or waffle the first two weeks or so and then work up to bread. Most here had similar issues. I would Highly suggest you read through this forum. I know there are a lot of pages but you will get TOMS of valuable information! Glad you are here.

Lisa - I wash mine every week. I haven't had any problems but I dont use all that much detergent anyways.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

ParisKnight
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Kathy
Boston MA
12 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2009 :  1:46:43 PM  Show Profile
Lisa,

I change my towel once a week and use regularly laundered ones. I have avoided using those fabric softener cloths that you put in the dryer - for the same concerns you have. But a towel washed with detergent doesn't seem to be hurting anything.
Go to Top of Page

MamaCass75
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Cassie
Spring Grove MN
USA
8 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2009 :  4:00:36 PM  Show Profile
I am working my way through this thread, It is huge. I started my mother on Saturday and I have a question, Sorry if someone has asked already

What kind of consistancy should your mother be? Should it be like a sticky dough, or should it be more like a batter?

Thanks,
Cassie
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2009 :  5:04:39 PM  Show Profile
It will be very sticky through the first week and then will be like a thick batter.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

MamaCass75
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Cassie
Spring Grove MN
USA
8 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2009 :  6:39:54 PM  Show Profile
Thanks,

Mine is nice and bubbly but sticky.

Cassie
Go to Top of Page

lupinelady99
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Lisa
Massena New York
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2009 :  7:53:05 PM  Show Profile  Send lupinelady99 an ICQ Message  Click to see lupinelady99's MSN Messenger address
Haha...have to share my bad with you all. Think it will make for some laughs. Got up this morning and mixed up dough and set it to rise on the porch thinking it would be nice to show off good bread for my "company". The last few weeks I have been insanely busy, getting not nearly enough sleep, and having resulting brain misfires. It just didn't rise worth a darn. Kept scratching my head because it has been so good lately. Ended up not even trying to bake the loaf and went with a back up plan.

Then it came to me a few minutes ago, well no wonder the dough didn't rise and didn't behave quite right when I mixed it....I didn't look at the recipe and am willing to bet I only put 1 cup of starter in it instead of 2! Pretty sure that this is a sign that I gotta get some sleep and let my brain reboot, lol.

Go to Top of Page

CherryMeDarlin
True Blue Farmgirl

602 Posts

Cherry
Odenville AL
USA
602 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2009 :  11:08:24 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Lisa, don't be so hard on yourself! (Although I did laugh!) Mine didn't rise on the porch either and I know I put in 2 cups! I was attempting the Honey Wheat Oatmeal posted by Kathy on pg. 62. I mixed it up according to her directions and should have known I was in trouble when it never firmed up. I poured it in my cast iron dutch oven anyway and set it out for 8 hrs. It rose a little, maybe an inch or two. I baked it anyway and produced what looked like blackened cornbread!! It was so sad! And mine still has a really sour "afterbite". I think maybe I'm not paying enough attention to her throughout the day. I feed her and that's basically it. The next morning I always have a good layer of hootch. And isn't it the hootch that creates the sour taste? But she's also only three weeks old. Maybe my fourth time will be a charm!

~~Cherry~~

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 80 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Bread the MaryJane Way Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page