willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - May 28 2009 :  07:59:48 AM  Show Profile
Pam when I first formulated this recipe I used sugar because we were out of honey. If you substitute honey let us know how it works out!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

lupinelady99
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Lisa
Massena New York
USA
113 Posts

Posted - May 28 2009 :  5:43:15 PM  Show Profile  Send lupinelady99 an ICQ Message  Click to see lupinelady99's MSN Messenger address
Yummy! I caught myself before I licked the screen, lol. Can't wait to give those a try.

Today I played with sourdough bar cookies. Made a chocolate/coconut/oatmeal one, a date/oatmeal one, and molasses raisin. Tomorrow I have a pumpkin one to try. Wanted to get a few batches made and stored in the freezer and the weather hasn't been good for much else (unless you are a duck). I cut them up into squares and placed them into containers, then can pull out one at a time for a coffeetime treat or a few at a time if company comes over.

The molasses ones turned out so good. Very moist and chewy. The sourdough makes the bar cookies so much better.

Molasses Bars

1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
2/3 cup molasses
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teasppon cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups raisins (optional)
1 2/3 cups chopped nuts (optional)
1 cup sourdough starter

Cream butter & sugar. Beat in eggs. Beat in molasses. Blend well. Mix dry ingredients together. Slowly add dry ingredients to the wet. Add sourdough starter, blending well. Fold in raisins and nuts if desired. Spread into a well greased 13 x 9 x 3 pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 30 minutes.

http://www.myspace.com/lupinelady99
Go to Top of Page

Mamarude
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

Anna
Durango Colorado
USA
107 Posts

Posted - May 28 2009 :  6:46:00 PM  Show Profile
Well, I made my first loaf of sourdough on Sunday, let it rise all day and it got flatter and flatter. We had sourdough frisbees. (Granted, it was the round loaves) I refuse to give up! I found Arrowhead Mills organic flour, and am using it this week for my starter, it looks great! much more "sourdoughy", smells lovely, and is bubbling more than it did last week when I was using King Arthur organic flour. I did email the company to ask if they add barley malt to their flour, but I have not heard back from them yet. Has anyone here used the Arrowhead Mills organic flour in their starter? (One day I did use 1/3 cup of my freshly ground wheat flour to give it a boost).
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - May 28 2009 :  7:35:13 PM  Show Profile
Not sure about the arrowhead mills. Your bread will get better as the starter matures! Trust me!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

mimilou
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Mary Lou
Lancaster PA
USA
13 Posts

Posted - May 30 2009 :  5:46:41 PM  Show Profile
I've used Arrowhead Mills from the beginning and it's worked great! Produced wonderfun breads, cakes etc. Also, it's relatively inexpensive. Good luck and enjoy.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - May 30 2009 :  6:04:26 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Cherian- it takes about a month to six weeks before you will get really great rises in your bread. Try using a bread pan in the mean time- it really helps a lot!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Mamarude
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

Anna
Durango Colorado
USA
107 Posts

Posted - May 30 2009 :  6:43:28 PM  Show Profile
I am soo happy with my sourdough today! It must have been the Arrowhead Mills flour, because I made a loaf and left it in the bread pan on the counter today, covered wtih a tea towel. When we got back this evening, it was risen and ready to bake, it turned out beautifully! Nice and sour, but even my picky 7 year old loved it! Gorgeous results, on try #2 ! I'll try to include pictures later.

Cherian

Go to Top of Page

Mamarude
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

Anna
Durango Colorado
USA
107 Posts

Posted - May 30 2009 :  8:15:01 PM  Show Profile
Picture of sourdough attempt #2. Turned out beautifully!

http://www1.snapfish.com/slideshow/AlbumID=628547016/PictureID=20424295016/a=6293470_6293470

Attempt #1, failed miserably! Yikes, sourdough frisbees.

http://www1.snapfish.com/slideshow/AlbumID=628547016/PictureID=20418172016/a=6293470_6293470
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - May 30 2009 :  8:34:01 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That is awesome Cherian! I am so glad you second batch turned out so marvelous! Want to mail me some? Yum!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Georgiaberry Mobley
True Blue Farmgirl

79 Posts

Georgiaberry
Fouke AR
USA
79 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2009 :  1:55:28 PM  Show Profile
Hi ladies - I got my first issue of Mary Jane's Farm in the mail today (love it) and it led me to this discussion - wow, now I want to get my own starter going again. I have had one a few times in the past - if it goes bad on the first attempt, my advice is throw it out, clean the kitchen, and try again!

So I have been using a starter from King Arthur for a while, and I keep it in the fridge. I read something a few pages back about different methods folks use to keep the starter in the fridge, and I wanted to share mine.

I keep it in a glass gallon jar (plenty of room to make a lot if I want to share or make a lot of bread) and I cover the top with a plastic sandwich bag - the fold-over kind. It is a pretty tight fit over the opening to the jar, and it will fill up with gas as the starter works after feeding. It must not be airtight, because it never pops, and I usually relieve the pressure just by pressing the bag (the gas is pressed out around where the bag meets the jar). This has been working well for a few months now. I've never had any mold in this starter, but I have lost a few on the counter. I don't keep the kitchen clean enough, I'm sure!

Great bread! And I bake in the summer in the bbq grill - better than no bread at all!

Georgiaberry
www.SunshineForDinner.com
www.georgiaberry.com

Farmgirl Georgiaberry

always busy at SunshineForDinner.com

Go to Top of Page

pamcook
True Blue Farmgirl

228 Posts

Pam
Chapel Hill NC
USA
228 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2009 :  05:32:55 AM  Show Profile
Wow Georgiaberry! What a great solution. This week has been very hot and humid but (touch wood!) changing the cloth frequently seems to be the solution for keeping the mold away at my house. It could have nothing to do with it but I believe in magical solutions sometimes! LOL!

DD in Australia ended up throwing away her starter after the 3rd day (she gave it tap water 2 days in a row by feeding it before she was completely awake). She said after the 2nd time, it had no life left to it at all. Her new starter is working really well.

I was surprised to see that our Whole Foods stocks hard wheat berries in the bulk section (I tend to avoid that section because I want to over-indulge in all the nuts). Now I'm lurking ebay and craigslist hoping to find a great deal on a grinder. When I find one, I'm sure I'll have a million questions about storing wheat berries, how to grind it...

I had planned to make pretzels today but it's going to be in the 90's today - in the 70's in 2 days. I think I'll wait 2 more days.

www.ikat.org
www.longaberger.com/pamcook
Go to Top of Page

GailMN
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Gail
Hutchinson Minnesota
USA
471 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2009 :  06:38:05 AM  Show Profile  Send GailMN a Yahoo! Message
I agree, I change the cloth over mother at least 3 times a week - and also keep the towel moist. I've not had a mold or any other type of problem, but. . . . I'm in Minnesota and have not experienced very hot and humid temperatures - yet. I've been spending long days in the garden and my yard, so I have had mother in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days at a time, but have had no problems with bringing her out, feeding her and baking the following day - I will watch her closely and probably follow this practice through my summer months. Hope all of you are having success as well. I did use mother in a boxed cake mix yesterday - I used a chocolate cake mix and replaced a cup of the water the directions called for with a cup of mother - I made cupcakes, they were very good.

Gail

Farmgirl Sister #506
Aim high; shoot for the moon and if you miss it, grab a star.
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2009 :  07:31:57 AM  Show Profile
Hey Girls (and guys??)! The topic of pizza on the grill came up on another thread so I wanted to post some information here. This would be a great way to continue using your starter throughout the summer without having to heat up the kitchen.

Here is the link for the page with the pizza dough recipe http://www.maryjanesfarm.com/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=28238&whichpage=32 You will need to scroll down about half way.

When cooking pizza on the grill it is important to keep your ingredients light and fresh. A pound of meat and a pound of cheese will never cook through! Also because it is quick cooking I often lightly precook things like onions and pepper just to get rid of the "raw" taste of them.

To cook pizza on the grill -
Brush the grates of the grill with a little bit of oil.

Over very high heat cook you pizza dough for just a minute or two on one side. Just until the dough is slightly crisp on the bottom and you start to see grill marks.

Flip your dough and move to the cool side of the grill. (If you use gas just leave one side of the burners off, for charcoal - stack more coals on one side leaving the other side cooler.)

IMMEDIATLY - add your toppings. Prepwork is important here. A few veggies and some fresh mozzerella are great. Fruit and goat cheese pair well together. If you like stronger cheeses like gorgonzolas, blues etc. they also work well paired with onions, olives or sturdy fruits like pears.

Make a foil tent over your pizza. This will help direct heat to melt the cheeses. Keep an eye on the bottom and turn the pizza as necessary. In just a few minutes it will be done!

The great thing is you can cut the dough small and everyone can create their own mimi-pizza to their tastes.

Let me know how your Summer Pizzas turn out! Post some pictures too! Have fun!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

daddzgirl9262
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Emilie
Gilbert Arizona
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2009 :  9:49:06 PM  Show Profile  Send daddzgirl9262 an AOL message
Hey there!
I had to do a science fair project for my Agriculture class at school and I decided to use the organic bread starter. I tested using regular tap water and purified water. And just like it said in the article, the tap water ruined the starter. My starter turned a dark brown color and smelled horrible while my other started was doing fine. I documented the whole process ( baking and tasting included) and ended up taking first place in my division at the county fair! :) Now I am headed to the state competition for my FFA chapter. Once my project was finished, we dumped the bad starter and continued the other one making many loaves of fresh and yummy bread!
Thanks Majy Jane! :)

:D Smile Jesus Loves you!
Go to Top of Page

urban farm girl
True Blue Farmgirl

80 Posts

Melissa
Posen IL
USA
80 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2009 :  02:52:57 AM  Show Profile
Hey good for you Emile that is so great!! I put my starter in the freezer had to many things going on and my oven just went out and we have to get a new one..now Julie threw out a great idea...so I'll bring out the mother and try pizza on the grill.
Go to Top of Page

Quintessential Kate
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Kate
Tyler TX
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2009 :  05:27:14 AM  Show Profile
Congratulations Emilie!!!
And welcome to the farm as well. I lived in Tempe,AZ for almost 20 years.....and in Phoenix for about 5 years. Moved back to Texas almost 4 years ago........and I sure do miss Arizona, the desert and the mountains, BUT MOSTLY THE ARID CLIMATE!!!
Welcome again,
Kate

Heart of Texas
Chapter
AKA: Hot Farmgirl #234
http://quintessentialkate.blogspot.com

Today is my best day!
Go to Top of Page

Farmers Daughter
True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

DiAnn

90 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2009 :  07:45:01 AM  Show Profile

Way to go Emilie!!!! Good luck with the state FFA competition.

I gave the pretzel recipe a try yesterday. Lets just say I was so full from "TRYING" them that I couldn't eat supper. They turned out great. I made them a little smaller so I ended up with more then 20. Plan to put some in the freezer and pull out in later days for a snack with melted cheese! yummmmmmm.

Thanks for the recipe.

Oh and the grilled pizza, I make that in the summer not to heat the house. It was mentioned that less topping is the key. I will second that. Less is more. Always had made my crust with a package mix. Can't wait to give the sourdough a try.
Go to Top of Page

daddzgirl9262
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Emilie
Gilbert Arizona
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2009 :  3:57:56 PM  Show Profile  Send daddzgirl9262 an AOL message
Thanks everyone :]

I agree with you Kate about the beautiful desert and mountains but not the arid climate, way too hot! :P

I think my mom and I will have to try the pizza and then the pretzels :] Sounds yummy!
-Em

:D Smile Jesus Loves you!
Go to Top of Page

Tapestry
True Blue Farmgirl

1223 Posts

Cheryl
Wisconsin
USA
1223 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2009 :  7:17:32 PM  Show Profile  Send Tapestry a Yahoo! Message
I decided to try making bread the MJ way using organic wheat berry flour called Prairie Gold and distilled water. It's been covered with little bubbles on the top since about day 3 and boy, today (day 5) it's bubblin' like a witch's brew in a cauldron. The entire top is foamy with bubbles. It smells very yeasty and I think my first attempt is a success :) I can't wait to bake some bread from it.

Happy farmgirl sister #353

Look for rainbows instead of mud puddles

http://fantasm01.imagekind.com/
http://tapestrysimaginings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2009 :  8:38:52 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That is great Cheryl! Sounds like you have a very active starter!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

pamcook
True Blue Farmgirl

228 Posts

Pam
Chapel Hill NC
USA
228 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2009 :  06:34:47 AM  Show Profile
I tried the pretzels using honey (1 T for 1/2 recipe). They turned out well but I don't think I baked them long enough - a bit doughy still. I have to bake the bread recipes longer, too. Yes, I'm going to buy an oven thermometer next time I'm out to see if my oven temps are off.

Emilie - great job! Congratulations!!!

www.ikat.org
www.longaberger.com/pamcook
Go to Top of Page

petitshoo
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Jennifer
Dayton OH
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2009 :  07:36:36 AM  Show Profile
I've got a batch of pretzels baking right now, but they aren't getting golden brown. Should I do an egg wash on top next time?
Go to Top of Page

petitshoo
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Jennifer
Dayton OH
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2009 :  07:59:15 AM  Show Profile
And I just tasted one! They are so delicious. My 2 1/2 year old really had fun helping me make them.

I've loved having my starter. My bread hasn't turned out great yet, but we have Sourdough Pancakes every week now (I think my house is kept too cold for it to rise properly, gonna work on that next time....my husband likes it cold when he is home). Here is the Sourjack pancake recipe I use that my mother-in-law gave me (it's one from a place in Wyoming that has their own starter):

Sourjack Pancakes

Add to bowl and mix:
2 cups starter
1 egg
1 1/2 tbsp salad oil
1/4 cup buttermilk (regular milk worked fine too)

Add on top of wet (or mix in a separate bowl and add):
2T Sugar
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 cup flour

Mix until combined and let sit while heating up your cooking surface (I use my cast iron skillet). The batter should double in size. Make them whatever size you want and enjoy. (I sprinkle blueberries on them while on first side and then flip).
Go to Top of Page

JudyBlueEyes
True Blue Farmgirl

657 Posts

Judith
Spokane Washington
USA
657 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2009 :  08:25:17 AM  Show Profile
Well, I'm reporting in with my experience. My starter worked out okay, as it was hot last week, up in the high 70s and into the 80s here in Spokane. As I mentioned, my house is on the cool side, I like the windows open and don't put the heat over 65F in the winter. I left my starter on top of the fridge, to take advantage of any extra heat up there. However, when I went to bake on Sunday (day 7) it was cold, didn't get above 70, if that. so my bread didn't rise much in my cast iron pot, if at all. I let it go about 10 hours (due to circumstances of the day). When I put it in the oven, I got distracted re-reading the instructions and looking at the MJF "Simply Bee" magazine again and over baked it! So the bottom is very dark brown, and the bread is okay...I cut off the bottom and toasted two slices this morning. Tastes good, but I am so disappointed that I didn't set the timer. I have put my flour and water in today and will give it another go. The sourdough flapjacks sound great, Jennifer! Maybe sometime if I have company and want to make a big breakfast I'll try them.

We come from the earth, we go back to the earth, and in between, we garden!
Go to Top of Page

GailMN
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Gail
Hutchinson Minnesota
USA
471 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2009 :  08:40:37 AM  Show Profile  Send GailMN a Yahoo! Message
Jennifer - I'm anxious to try the Sourjack Pancakes, thanks for posting.

Judith - don't be discouraged - my starter was at least 6 weeks old before I consistently had the outcome I wanted with my bread. The starter worked great for cakes, cookies, pancakes and waffles until then. I am in Minnesota and also keep my house on the cool side during the winter months, my starter did fine at temps of 65 degrees. When I set the bread to raise, I did so in my oven with the light on and this worked well for me. Now with so much keeping me outside, I put the starter in the refrigerator, take out once a week, let it warm to room temp, feed and then use the next day. This is working well for me. I then feed the next day and put back in the refrigerator for a few days. Keep trying -

Gail

Farmgirl Sister #506
Aim high; shoot for the moon and if you miss it, grab a star.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 80 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Bread the MaryJane Way Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page