pamcook
True Blue Farmgirl

228 Posts

Pam
Chapel Hill NC
USA
228 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2010 :  2:48:40 PM  Show Profile
Am I dreaming? Wasn't there a cinnamon roll recipe?

www.ikat.org
www.longaberger.com/pamcook
Go to Top of Page

MarciaJeansFarmette
Farmgirl in Training

31 Posts

Marcia
Gerber CA
USA
31 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2010 :  3:19:02 PM  Show Profile
Go to page 79 and there's a list of a bunch of recipes....

Learning as I go...
Go to Top of Page

pamcook
True Blue Farmgirl

228 Posts

Pam
Chapel Hill NC
USA
228 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2010 :  4:06:58 PM  Show Profile
Yes there are a lot of recipes there but no cinnamon roll recipe...

www.ikat.org
Go to Top of Page

traildancer
True Blue Farmgirl

485 Posts

Loyce
Glide OR
USA
485 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2010 :  09:21:44 AM  Show Profile
Well, this is week three for my mother and it is not improving. I have read the first 46 pages and most people didn't get good results for several weeks. Last night I tried the sourdough biscuits. The "sponge" looked and smelled okay. But the biscuits did not rise nor did they rise in the oven. They were hard on the outside and softer in the middle. Almost like those jordan almonds, the outside. I could barely cut through it. What on earth am I doing wrong? My mother looks bubbly and smells very wonderfully sour. But she won't perform. The temperature in my house fluctuates from over 70 to 80 during the day.

I made a loaf last week using the recipe on the back of Bob's Red Mill unbleached white flour. I just added all the herbs that were listed. Wow--what great bread. But absolutely no rise.

The trail is the thing.... Louis L'Amour
Go to Top of Page

pamcook
True Blue Farmgirl

228 Posts

Pam
Chapel Hill NC
USA
228 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2010 :  11:32:26 AM  Show Profile
Loyce - my mother doesn't "perform" consistently either. However, it makes the best cakes, muffins, cookies - everything else - hands down the best. I've tried bread and cinnamon raisin rolls and they weren't good at all. They just don't want to rise. I'm lucky that I can get great bread locally so I'm going to use it for all my other baking and just not stress about it any more!

www.ikat.org
Go to Top of Page

traildancer
True Blue Farmgirl

485 Posts

Loyce
Glide OR
USA
485 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2010 :  10:08:29 AM  Show Profile
I made the brownies and they tasted like brownie cheesecake!!! Everyone loved them. Nice dense moist texture and the most wonderful flavor.

Is there a biscuit recipe that doesn't require setting overnight?

Go to Top of Page

mrsamy
True Blue Farmgirl

167 Posts

Amy
Milwaukee WI
USA
167 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2010 :  6:27:32 PM  Show Profile
Help! I've been making bread from my "mother" for weeks with lots of success, until tonight. I have been feeding but not using it a lot this past week. I made a loaf that just "felt wrong" from the start...really dry and tough feeling...added some more starter to soften it up a little, but not much. It didn't rise much, but not bad. The BIG problem is these weird shiny black dots all over it that look like shiny poppy seeds. My starter was kinda "hoochy" and I had to switch from king arthur to gold medal organic flour this week, but I don't know if it's safe to eat?!?!?!?! Do you think it could be little moldies moving in to my starter???

Prayer costs nothing, but is worth the most.
Go to Top of Page

mrsamy
True Blue Farmgirl

167 Posts

Amy
Milwaukee WI
USA
167 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2010 :  02:51:42 AM  Show Profile
Figured out my problem. I use dough enhancer (it's a granular product of lecithin, ginger and ascorbic acid...helps the rise, usually). Since my dough was so thick it didn't dissolve on the surface...when it baked the lecithin is kinda oily so it burned and made those shiny spots. It's the strangest looking loaf I've made so far, but it sure is tasty.

Prayer costs nothing, but is worth the most.
Go to Top of Page

MarciaJeansFarmette
Farmgirl in Training

31 Posts

Marcia
Gerber CA
USA
31 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2010 :  6:36:35 PM  Show Profile
I changed a few things today- didn't slightly warm my oven to put into rise, since the weather is a whole lot warmer. Didn't let it rise as long. Bread is great. The crust is not quite as hard which I like. I love having it whole grain. I guess I'm stuck on the great bread and haven;t ventured into other things. With just the 2 of us, we're watching the waist line so I guess we don't need all the goodies! When family comes to visit I'll try some. Thanks for all the posts!

Learning as I go...
Go to Top of Page

jelliott
True Blue Farmgirl

70 Posts

Jennifer
Athol Idaho
USA
70 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  12:22:49 PM  Show Profile
My mother, poor thing, passed away due to using a different flour and getting some mold. I had been so successful for a while and was so proud of her. Went to use her this week and found these little black spots, almost like bugs got into her, that is when I remembered that I used a new "supposed" organic ground flour, was local and thought it sounded so wonderful. Well, needless to say I won't use that for mother again. I am taking a break and will start it again later in the spring. sniff sniff

If music be the food of Love, play on. Wm. Shakespeare
Go to Top of Page

traildancer
True Blue Farmgirl

485 Posts

Loyce
Glide OR
USA
485 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2010 :  12:20:10 PM  Show Profile
I've now had to start my mother twice. Last weekend I was gone for a ladies retreat and was in too much of a hurry to remember to put the starter in the refrigerator. Yuk. So I brought out the starter that I had from my mom that I keep in the fridge for sd pancakes and tried it. Thought everything was okay for a couple of days and then--pink liquid and pink stuff everywhere. Down the sink it went. I ran the bowl through the dishwasher and put a new different towel over the top. We'll see how it goes this time around.

Go to Top of Page

QueenofQuiteAlot
True Blue Farmgirl

865 Posts

Dalyn
Milk 'n Honey Ranch Central, WA
USA
865 Posts

Posted - May 04 2010 :  9:18:43 PM  Show Profile
I recently started another mother and she is lovely! I'm rising my first loaf tonight- the raisin nut bread recipe. I'm thinking when I pop that out of the cast iron dutch oven in the morning after the kids come in from barn chores I will get lots of hugs and kisses...

Dalyn

~Hick Chicks Soap Barn ~
www.hickchickssoapbarn.com

Homespun Raw Goat Milk Soaps 'n More

Miniature Nubians, Nubians, & Nigerian Dwarf Goats
http://muckbootsnaprons.blogspot.com/
http://proverbs31nubians.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

QueenofQuiteAlot
True Blue Farmgirl

865 Posts

Dalyn
Milk 'n Honey Ranch Central, WA
USA
865 Posts

Posted - May 04 2010 :  9:35:27 PM  Show Profile
Nest time I'm going to try the sunflower honey loaf I used to make with a differnt recipe. I never follow one all the way!

Dalyn

~Hick Chicks Soap Barn ~
www.hickchickssoapbarn.com

Homespun Raw Goat Milk Soaps 'n More

Miniature Nubians, Nubians, & Nigerian Dwarf Goats
http://muckbootsnaprons.blogspot.com/
http://proverbs31nubians.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

traildancer
True Blue Farmgirl

485 Posts

Loyce
Glide OR
USA
485 Posts

Posted - May 11 2010 :  7:22:05 PM  Show Profile
Hi, everyone. I remember in an earlier post somewhere about adding baking powder (I think) to the starter to lessen the sourness. Does this also help with the aroma? I gave my daughter some of my starter and she made bread that everyone loved, but the smell of the starter almost makes her sick. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Go to Top of Page

Farmers Daughter
True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

DiAnn

90 Posts

Posted - May 20 2010 :  12:16:47 PM  Show Profile
I had used baking soda when making my bread to cut down on the sour taste which I had seen posted on here, but never have used baking powder. I would go back and double check to see what was suggested. I might have missed something, but don't know about putting it in the starter itself?? Just might be a good idea to look back again.
Go to Top of Page

Jibara Girl
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Zoed
Upper Marlboro Maryland
USA
19 Posts

Posted - May 20 2010 :  6:08:00 PM  Show Profile  Send Jibara Girl a Yahoo! Message
Hi everyone! New to your post. May I ask for some recipes for baking scones?

Thanks
Zoed

Live... Love.. Laugh.. Dream.. ;)
Go to Top of Page

Rxgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

216 Posts

Dana
Id
USA
216 Posts

Posted - May 28 2010 :  3:19:49 PM  Show Profile
Great thought Zoed, I would love a good scone recipe! I've got my bread down but not a single recipe for a good scone
Dana

"He who throws mud only loses ground"-Fat Albert

Edited by - Rxgirl on May 28 2010 3:20:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

KathleenL
True Blue Farmgirl

84 Posts

Kathleen
Littleton Colorado
USA
84 Posts

Posted - May 28 2010 :  3:38:32 PM  Show Profile
I've had my starter in the freezer for a few months and pulled it out last Friday. It's been bubbling away on the counter and smelling good. Today I made a pan of bread using home ground wheat flour and left it to rise. Several hours later I looked in the pan and the dough is gray. I remember reading on this thread about someone else having the same problem. Anyhow, underneath the top the dough is it's regular color. This gray color is the same color as whole wheat pie crust or pot pie biscuit dough that has been left in the refrigerator for a few days.

I'm pretty sure the starter is fine since it's only been on the counter a week and there's no sign of mold or anything amiss. I guess I'll try again in a few more days using white flour but I would really like to get to the bottom of this problem since we don't usually eat white flour products. I tried an internet search and came up with nothing. Has anyone else had this problem and figured out the cause?
Go to Top of Page

MarciaJeansFarmette
Farmgirl in Training

31 Posts

Marcia
Gerber CA
USA
31 Posts

Posted - May 31 2010 :  12:20:31 PM  Show Profile
I had converted my mother to fresh ground 100% whole wheat flour. It was very good for awhile but started getting little black things on the side of the bowl and I didn't like the smell of it. My husband said it smelled like sour dour. I made a few more batches of bread. My husband had to go out of town for work so I decided it was time for a 'water burial'. Perhaps my septic system would appreciate it. I started a new mother this week and decided to leave mother unbleached flour but the bread whole wheat. It's bubbling and beautiful and I hope I don't have to wait a month for good bread again.

Farm girl # 956

Learning as I go...
Go to Top of Page

Rxgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

216 Posts

Dana
Id
USA
216 Posts

Posted - May 31 2010 :  9:14:07 PM  Show Profile
I have 2 different starters that have been bubbling beautifully for over a month. We're going on a road trip vacation for 10 days and I think I'm actually going to take them with me, extra water and all. They're the best starters I've ever had and am afraid to leave them in the frig for 10 days, so the 2 "pets" are going with us (seems so silly!)
Dana

Go to Top of Page

KLA Farms
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Tatum
Arboles CO
USA
2 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2010 :  1:45:03 PM  Show Profile
There are so many posts - I hope you have not already answered these questions.
1. I have a large family and am doubling the recipe daily (2/3 cup flour, 1/2 cup water). I want to make a double batch daily. Since that requires I take out 4 cups of starter daily and it says to put back what I take out - does that mean in addition to the 2/3 cup flour/1/2 cup water regime? Can you help me with the math so I understand this correctly?
2. If the bread is not rising at all, and the mother after one week is not very bubbly or yeasty smelling - am I doing something wrong? I am using fresh ground organic soft white wheat flour and purified water. Can you tell me what I need to do?

Thank you and your caraway rye is delicious!!

Farmin' 4 Him!
Go to Top of Page

Rxgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

216 Posts

Dana
Id
USA
216 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2010 :  9:00:36 PM  Show Profile
If you are taking out 4 cups daily then maybe it's not giving the mother sponge enough time to grow properly. Maybe consider 2 starters and alternate days that you use them so that each has time to "grow" so to speak. No metal should touch the starter either. Something in the metal can kill the starter so I don't even use metal measuring cups. As far as the measuring is concerned, I've always read/been taught that if you take out 4 cups of starter then you replace/feed the mother sponge with 2 cups flour and 2 cups water. I know MaryJane's recipe is a little different and I've been experimenting with that starter for about 4 weeks, don't quite have it down yet. I have found that at my elevation (5000 feet), I do have to add vital wheat gluten to my flour to get a decent rise. Basically I think you need to add enough of the flour and water ratio to equal about 4 cups. So that would be about 2 cups of flour and 1&1/2 cups of water if you are taking out 4 cups of the mother sponge. I've been experimenting with feeding her but if you follow the directions, I think that's how it would work out.

farmgirl #1432

Go to Top of Page

Mama Jewel
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Jewel
Sweet Peas Farmette, Bend, OR
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2010 :  11:55:54 AM  Show Profile
Getting nervous. I started my mother like MJ's suggestion on Sunday & used Bob's Red Mill white unbleached organic flour & purified water. Covered it w/a *dry* cotton cloth napkin. Stir it with a wood bamboo spoon. Measure the water & flour every morning with plastic measuring cups. It sits on my counter in a ceramic crock, near my oven, so temp is somewhere between 75 -80 degrees. My hubs came into the kitchen & asked what that weird smell is. I told him that it was my mother (hee hee) ;-) Anyway, it was looking all bubbly until this morning (day 5) and seems runnier. It's a *really* strong sour smell (not like beer) and instead of looking white, yesterday it started looking a little grey and today, a slight pink, I think. Is it going bad? If so, any ideas of what I might have done wrong? I've been leaving it alone during the day... are we supposed to stir it at all during the day? When I add its daily water & flour in the morning, I stir in that, but that's all. Guess I am afraid that it's spoiled somehow? Should I continue with it & bake the bread anyway on Saturday & if so, how will I know if the bread is bad? Thanks for any help... this is my first go at sourdough bread, so want to be careful. Thanks!

living simply & naturally
http://www.piecemama.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Rxgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

216 Posts

Dana
Id
USA
216 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2010 :  9:29:12 PM  Show Profile
You shouldn't need to stir it during the day other than when you "feed" it. If you add in your flour and water tomorrow and don't get the bubbling, then it's definitely bad. I don't think the pink color is a good sign. It may be getting too warm sitting by your oven and is going thru the flour you feed it too quickly. I usually keep mine in the counter and our house temp is usually kept between 68-71 degrees. See how she goes when you feed her next. No bubbling=bad sponge=start over.

farmgirl #1432

Go to Top of Page

MarciaJeansFarmette
Farmgirl in Training

31 Posts

Marcia
Gerber CA
USA
31 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2010 :  07:39:20 AM  Show Profile
I'm very pleased with how my bread turned out with my new mother, on Sat. It took about a month to get good bread the first time. Perhaps the good little bacteria was somewhere just waiting to get going again? Happy to be back on track with my bread. Having requests for sharing so I guess it's time to double it and have some to give away. ;-)

Farm Girl #956

Learning as I go...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 80 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Bread the MaryJane Way Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page