Needle
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

Judy
Kissimmee Florida
USA
287 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2015 :  1:06:19 PM  Show Profile
I may be reading more into this than I should be, but do you have to have a ceramic bowl or will a glass one do? Also, it says wooden spoon. Do I need that as well?

Farm Girl Sister #6566

The road of life is made smoother when traveled with someone you love.
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2015 :  1:16:47 PM  Show Profile
Glass would be just fine and a plastic spatula will work. You need to avoid metal spoons. And your mother will do much better if you feed her 2x/day, morning and night.

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

Needle
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

Judy
Kissimmee Florida
USA
287 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2015 :  04:12:17 AM  Show Profile
Thanks so much for the info. I found a wooden spoon that belonged to my grandma. That makes it even more fun to use! I will start feeling twice a day.

Farm Girl Sister #6566

The road of life is made smoother when traveled with someone you love.
Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2015 :  07:34:43 AM  Show Profile
I started some sour dough starter using just flour and a cup of warm water. I got the recipe from LHOTP coom book. The feeding instructions seem vague. I tried to find the MJ link to see how to feed it. I don't have time to read all 80 pages of this forum to find it. Could someone post a link or give me a specific nuts and bolts instructions for this. I tried the bread mary janes way and it just came back to this forum. Thanks in advance.

Lorie

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2015 :  09:34:52 AM  Show Profile
Hi Lorena,
We're sold out of the 2009 magazine issue where Bread the MaryJane Way was first published and since I'm working on a revision, actually a bread book, the details of how to do it are no longer available unless you have that issue. My DIL, Ashley, and I are making great progress on my Bread the MaryJane Way book. Right now I have six mothers that I feed 2x/day, 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. and every Thursday is "Bake Day" at the farm so everyone here eats lots of true sourdough bread (flour, water, air) fresh from the oven slathered in butter every Thursday without fail.

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2015 :  10:25:11 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Mrs. Mary Jane. I still need to know how much to feed my starter though.

Lorie

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2015 :  10:40:59 AM  Show Profile
What are the proportions you used to start your mother, how many days old is it, and what kind of flour are you using?

Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2015 :  11:04:25 AM  Show Profile
Started it yesterday. Just used one cup white flour to one cup warm water.

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2015 :  11:13:08 AM  Show Profile
Given you started with equal parts (and hopefully organic flour and purified water), you should stick with equal parts but cut them in half and feed and water her twice per day.

Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2015 :  11:17:16 AM  Show Profile
Thank you mrs. Butters.

Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2015 :  10:21:06 AM  Show Profile
I baked off on Wednesday Nad the bread came out WONDERFUL! Sadly, here in maine anything organic here in maine and all natural products are very expensive. My grocery budget doesn't all for a lot of extra especially expensive food. I do however cook from scratch 90% of the time. I love canning and gardens (my husband is a conventional blueberry grower. He does use chemicals and pesticides on his fields. I scream at him every year when he mentions spraying our gardens. So I do the best I can with what I have to work with. Love the repurposing and I do make my own laundry soap. So even though I'm not organic I still love this site. Please don't be disappointed Mrs. Butters.

Go to Top of Page

rachelbee
True Blue Farmgirl

207 Posts

Rachel
Carmel IN
USA
207 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2016 :  11:16:56 AM  Show Profile
Apologies if this link has already been posted, but I made this bread a few weeks ago and it's delicious. It takes regular all purpose flour instead of bread flour, there's no kneading, and I cooked it in two Pyrex bowls- it doesn't get much simpler than that!

http://www.alexandracooks.com/2012/11/07/my-mothers-peasant-bread-the-best-easiest-bread-you-will-ever-make/

In my quest to use fewer disposable and plastic items, I also ended up making a little hat for my bread bowl to keep it from drying out after I'd cut it:

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2017 :  2:41:37 PM  Show Profile
My oldest and I make a loaf of artisan sourdough bread each morning. We only feed the starter once a day right now, as we are cooler. As it warms up, we will start feeding her every twelve hours again. Each night I grind more einkorn berries to make the bread... mix it with some salt, warm water and about 1/3 C of my starter, and let it sit overnight. The next morning i knead my dough with a little more flour and a smudge of baking soda and bake it is a covered dutch oven. The bread is exquisite!!!

Rachel - what a cute cover!!! Do you have a pattern by chance?

~ Shannon, Sister # 5349
Farmgirl of the Month - January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Carole
New York
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2017 :  11:47:50 AM  Show Profile
Rachel what a cute cover! I'm with you on reducing the use of plastic! I tend to use a cotton dish towel.

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com
http://www.fibrejunction.com
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2017 :  08:48:49 AM  Show Profile
I just want to share that I made the Pumpkin Blondies from the MJF website yesterday. They produced a very dense, moist delectable bar, very unlike a brownie or cake, and everyone really enjoyed them! The pumpkin and spice flavors capture the flavors of fall perfectly.
Go to Top of Page

Cissik
True Blue Farmgirl

578 Posts

Sylvia
Kent WA
USA
578 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2018 :  6:05:44 PM  Show Profile
My first successful sourdough loaf!

Sylvia
Kent, WA
Farm Girl #5389
Back Door Farm Girls Chapter
http://vintagehousegoods.blogspot.com
http://etsy.com/shop/Vintagehousegoods
Go to Top of Page

MarleneL
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

Marlene
The Dalles Oregon
USA
5 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2018 :  9:36:10 PM  Show Profile  Send MarleneL a Yahoo! Message
I made my first loaf of sourdough bread today. I was surprised how easy it was to make the sourdough starter. I fed it after I used a cup for the bread, I read somewhere that keeping a sourdough starter is like having a family pet. That's not too far from the truth!

Marlene Laverty
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2018 :  09:14:23 AM  Show Profile
And on that wonderful note/comparison, I should lock this thread and get some wild bread chatter started over on our new networking site,
http://wildbread.net/

I was in Spokane yesterday meeting with the folks who dehydrate our organic cheese for our instant meal mixes, when a trucker called to say he had my first shipment of Wild Bread books on board. They'd shipped out two weeks ago but every time I called to find out why they hadn't arrived yet, I was told they'd been delayed because of weather, which is strange because yesterday wasn't any different. At any rate, the books are still on a truck somewhere. Hopefully, they'll arrive safe and sound on Monday and we'll get them shipped out to all of you who've ordered them. Until then, stop on by our new Wild Bread chatroom and say Hi!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 80 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Bread the MaryJane Way Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page