Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Question About All-Natural Peanut Butter
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Question About All-Natural Peanut Butter Next Topic  

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

701 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
701 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2009 :  07:53:18 AM  Show Profile
I have been enjoying the change from regular preservative-laden peanut butter to all-natural peanut butter, but I have a question I'm hoping some of you longtime natural food eaters can answer.
I bought a jar of Smuckers Organic Natural Peanut Butter a few days ago, and the label says, "Refrigerate After Opening." So of course I did, but the trouble is the peanut butter solidified and is now unspreadable! I actually had to hack a solid hunk out of the jar with a butter knife and microwave it for a few minutes just to get it on my toast!
My question is, is this more of a freshness thing, or will it spoil without preservatives? The bulk natural peanut butter at the co-op isn't refrigerated.

Jessie Mae
Farmgirl Sisterhood #134

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2009 :  08:32:00 AM  Show Profile
Jessie, I think it depends how quick you use up the peanut butter after you open it. We eat lots of peanut butter so I don't refergerate my Smuckers. So, if you are going to use it up in a week or so, I would not refergerate it. It is like any other nut/oil product, will go rancid. I have had some that after a while don't taste fresh. That's when I bake cookies.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2009 :  10:59:58 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I agree- take a little taste test after about a week out and if it is starting to taste stale, then either chuck it or bake cookies. I never refrigerate mine.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4727 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4727 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2009 :  12:33:04 PM  Show Profile
My husband insists we refrigerate our peanut butter, so I try to let it sit out for 10 or more minutes before using it. It softens up pretty fast.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2009 :  1:30:42 PM  Show Profile
Jessie, I have never refrigerated my Smuckers pb and it's been fine. I guess I never read the label. Oops! I have had to get the mixer and put on one of the beaters to mix it up. And I pour off some of the oil, too.

Kris

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori proverb
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2009 :  03:29:03 AM  Show Profile
We refrig ours.

It kind of helps if its all stured up when its first opened. You'll practically break your hand if you do, but it helps.

It stays creamier. We have problems with the sold hunk at the very bottom of the jar, say the last 1/4 . So I save all this from multiple jars,and bake.

Luckily our local health food store sells their fresh ground. It too has to be refrig. but it stays very creamy.

Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2009 :  05:48:07 AM  Show Profile
I use Smuckers All Natural, and I put it in the fridge mainly just to keep the oil from separating. I stir it up good when I first open the jar (yes, it is hard on the hand!). When the kitchen is cool, like now, it stays mixed without refrigerating. But in the summer the oil all comes back up to the top when we leave the jar out. We use a jar up in 1-2 weeks, and it has never spoiled even if it's out on the counter the whole time.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Question About All-Natural Peanut Butter Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page