ElizArtist
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Elizabeth
Newbury Park California
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2009 :  10:14:16 AM  Show Profile
I am wondering if any of you lovely witchy sisters read TArot cards. I've been using the Mystic Faerie Tarot deck for a few months now and I am looking for a class on Tarot reading. The one we have her locally is at the same time that I teach dance. Does anyone know of online Tarot classes perhaps? Or have good suggestions for books? brightest blessings!
Elizabeth

joyously dancing through life
Blog- http://elizabethland-elizabeth.blogspot.com/
Etsy- http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5295254
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2009 :  2:44:13 PM  Show Profile
Elizabeth-I like to read intuitively. Afterward I'll look up the written meaning of cards and often I'll find I am spot on. You ought to try that! The pictures really give clue as to the meaning. Also-try using a standard picture deck like the rider waite tarot.

tarot.com is a good starting point for learning online. I'd also recommend focusing on one card of the trumps per week. use that as a devotion or focus for the week. I think it's important to learn the trumps first and the minor cards second. with the minor cards though, learn what each of the suits represents so you can get a good reading out if you are just learning the trumps. did that make sense?

any questions, just let me know!!! I'd love to help! I've been reading cards for years and started intuitively at about 19 and only in the last two years did I actively study the tarot.

BB

~Tasha

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
Farmgirl Sister #88

Blogs:
http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
Etsy:
http://ForestFaeries.etsy.com

"Joyful chaos, working in tune with the seasons, telling itme by the sun, variety, change and self-direction; all this wwas replaced with a brutal, standardized work culture, the effects of which we are still suffering from today." - Tom Hodgkinson in 'How To Be Idle'
Go to Top of Page

NudeFoodFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

433 Posts

Heide
Benton City WA
433 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2009 :  09:05:29 AM  Show Profile
Liz,
my sister and I always swap cards and books. So we both have decks with mixed cards. Sorta a fun way to have your favorites. One deck/book that I always find myself going back to is "The Herbal Tarot Deck" by Micheal Tierra. He is an excellent herbalist and he gives each card an herb and talks about how the herb is traditionally used and how it might remedy what the card traditionally symbolizes. It is really interesting.
But like Tasha says, pick a card (maybe just majors) and get to know it. Before long they will have particular meanings to you (and if you use the herbal deck so will the herbs).
Have fun.
Blessin's
h

"Anyone can count the seeds in an apple but only a Goddess knows how many apples are in a seed." ~anonymous

Watch VooDoo Vex by Heide at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tmz2hwfKL9Q
Go to Top of Page

ElizArtist
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Elizabeth
Newbury Park California
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2009 :  10:06:18 AM  Show Profile
You know sometimes I get so busy that I totally miss the obvious! And I hadn't even thought of starting to read cards intuitively. So I tried it this weekend while I was at Pirate FAire with all my dance friends, we did some card reading. And apparently the readings were spot on and really helpful for people. I'm going to keep practicing. You ideas are really inspiring. Using a focus card once a week is a great one. And YES! Michael Tierra, I have some of his herb books. That might be very helpful since I"m also very interested in healing. What a great idea to mix decks. In the past I used mostly the Animal medicine cards, and I do really respond to Native spirituality, it might be interesting to mix all these paths. I will look at TArot.com
I may just be babbling now! Spending 2 weekends at Pirate faire has worn me out!

joyously dancing through life
Blog- http://elizabethland-elizabeth.blogspot.com/
Etsy- http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5295254
Go to Top of Page

carolbrigid
True Blue Farmgirl

263 Posts

Carol
Glen Burnie Maryland
USA
263 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2009 :  12:50:54 PM  Show Profile  Send carolbrigid a Yahoo! Message
Hi Witchy farmgirl sisters,

I hope everyone had a wonderful Mabon. I haven't posted in a while but I'm baaack!!! Did you all see the farmgirl pendants we can order? Are you all getting one? I wish we had someone on here who could do a witchy farmgirl pendant for us.....

I have tarot decks but never learned to read them. I started buying them just because I love a lot of the artwork on them. I have the Halloween deck, which I totally LOVE!! And Heide, I've always wanted the Herbal deck. Maybe now I will order that deck. Tasha, I'm going to get my regular Rider Waite deck out and start doing as you suggest, one card per week of the major arcana. And I'm going to look on that website you mention. WOO HOO !! Tarot!

Farmgirl Hugs,
Carol

Farmgirl Sister #222
Member, Crafty Bay Farmgirl Chapter
Go to Top of Page

Tn.Earthmama
True Blue Farmgirl

451 Posts

Phyllis
Englewood Tennessee
451 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2009 :  07:44:30 AM  Show Profile
Hi Carol, good to "see" you!!! I haven't see the pendants, gotta have a look. a witchy pendant would be neat. Heidre the herbal deck sounds interesting.

blessings ya'll. Phyllis
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2009 :  12:09:47 PM  Show Profile

let's see your Samhain altars!

Tasha-Rose
Farmgirl Sister #88

Blogs:
Etsy:

"Joyful chaos, working in tune with the seasons, telling itme by the sun, variety, change and self-direction; all this wwas replaced with a brutal, standardized work culture, the effects of which we are still suffering from today." - Tom Hodgkinson in 'How To Be Idle'
Go to Top of Page

carolbrigid
True Blue Farmgirl

263 Posts

Carol
Glen Burnie Maryland
USA
263 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2009 :  6:07:32 PM  Show Profile  Send carolbrigid a Yahoo! Message
Oh Tasha I LOVE your altar!!!! I haven't set mine up yet... but can you tell me/us what is one your altar? Thanks so much for sharing this photo. Gorgeous!

Farmgirl Hugs,
Carol

Farmgirl Sister #222
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2009 :  08:33:31 AM  Show Profile
you can see the notes for my picture http://www.flickr.com/photos/gaiasrose/3984675789/

Tasha-Rose
Farmgirl Sister #88

Blogs:
Etsy:

Go to Top of Page

carolbrigid
True Blue Farmgirl

263 Posts

Carol
Glen Burnie Maryland
USA
263 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2009 :  08:29:56 AM  Show Profile  Send carolbrigid a Yahoo! Message
I just looked at your notes, Tasha. Beautiful. I have photos of my grandparents and great grandparents that I will put on my altar this year. Thank you so much. Where have all the witchy farmgirls gone?????

I just ordered a set of the Housewive's Tarot. It looks fun and a bit retro farmgirl!

Farmgirl Hugs,
Carol

Farmgirl Sister #222
Go to Top of Page

carolbrigid
True Blue Farmgirl

263 Posts

Carol
Glen Burnie Maryland
USA
263 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2009 :  09:45:02 AM  Show Profile  Send carolbrigid a Yahoo! Message
Okay, today I received the Housewives Tarot. Girls, this is an awesome, fun deck and I love it!! It comes packaged in a little recipe box with dividers inside, and a little book. The cards have red gingham pattern on the backs, and the images are soooooo cool!!! Retro 40s, 50s families. It is great and it will no doubt be one of my favorite decks! Looks like a witchy farmgirl deck to me!

Farmgirl Hugs,
Carol

Farmgirl Sister #222
Go to Top of Page

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2009 :  2:25:45 PM  Show Profile
anyone done a "junk reading" ?

Not all those who wander are lost...
www.SarahPauline.com
www.AbraxasBaroque.com
Go to Top of Page

Tn.Earthmama
True Blue Farmgirl

451 Posts

Phyllis
Englewood Tennessee
451 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2009 :  4:26:53 PM  Show Profile
Hi Sarah, sorry it's been so long in replying. I don't always get on everyday. I haven't done much Tarot myself. what is a "junk reading"? blessings Phyllis
Go to Top of Page

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2009 :  5:29:10 PM  Show Profile
Oh thats okay. I just learned about it myself. Its a little like tossing runes only as the reader you gather things that have meaning to you. Like a star for your faith, or a black cat that reminds you of home, or a scrap of gold foil that makes you think of richesm a small worry doll might remind you of urest or concerns so if you toss your junk, if the gold foil is next to the worry doll, you may be having financial worries etc. You keep them all in a bag and you dump the items out, or choose them with a question in mind. The reason its so great is because these are objects that truly mean something to you so the reading is very personal.

www.SarahPauline.com
www.AbraxasBaroque.com
Go to Top of Page

KayB
True Blue Farmgirl

540 Posts

Kay
Del City Oklahoma
USA
540 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2009 :  3:07:45 PM  Show Profile
Okay, I finally found you again. I got lost in the message boards for a while. What drew me is reading the Mists of Avalon and a few other things. I was raised in a Christian church and never raised to judge others, but I didn't know about Wicca or witchcraft until just a few years ago. I'm not really happy with a really structured worship arena type thing. I was in a funky "new age" shop (after all, this is Oklahoma) and was talking with one of the gals there and telling her about MaryJane and farming and she said that women who used to do the tending, tilling and harvesting of the land and people were considered witches back in the "olden" days. She got me a couple of books to read, but I don't really understand them since I'm basically doing this on my own. So I am so confused about what's what and how to go about all of this. Any ideas, girls? Just wanting to learn about this and do the best I can.

I'm also interested in the Winter Solstice exchange, but since I don't know what the heck I'm doing, that might not be a good idea. But it sounds like fun!!

Any help is greatly appreciated.

KayB

Life's a dance you learn as you go
Go to Top of Page

Tn.Earthmama
True Blue Farmgirl

451 Posts

Phyllis
Englewood Tennessee
451 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2009 :  05:48:03 AM  Show Profile
Hi ya'll, Sarah, thanks for explaining the junk reading, sounds interesting, going to start collecting. thanks again.

Kay, good to see you again. I myself am sort of a appalachian granny woman, learning about herbs, signs and such. I'm going to spend the winter planning my gardens, herbs and we are putting in a patio with a medicine wheel. I have read lots of books and am still finding my path. I'm sure some of the more experienced ladies will have lots of suggestions. as for the Solstice swap, I think all you need is good intent to share, you can do a bessom I'm sure.

I'm preparing for Samhain, my Mom passed to the other side last Oct. 30th. so today is a thoughtful day for me. I hope you all have a wonderful Samhaim. blessings to all Phyllis
Go to Top of Page

mtngirljon
True Blue Farmgirl

539 Posts

Jonnie
Webster Texas
USA
539 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2009 :  06:09:45 AM  Show Profile
Hi, Kay! Fancy meeting you here. I'm struggling some with the besom swap, too. I've found lots of wonderful information on the web just googling "besom" or "make a besom". And I'm thinking, don't get all caught up in what it's "supposed" to be. Let the Universe guide you to what feels right for you.

Blessed Samhain to you all.

Jonnie
Farmgirl #648

"Turn your face to the sun, and the shadows will fall behind you" - Maori Proverb

Go to Top of Page

KayB
True Blue Farmgirl

540 Posts

Kay
Del City Oklahoma
USA
540 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2009 :  6:31:43 PM  Show Profile
I'm just trying to figure out which books to read. I have a few - Witchcraft School First Degree, Magickal Crafts, Wicca by Scott Cunningham, Living Wicca by Scott Cunningham, and Green Witchcraft by Ann Moura. Are any of those good or do I need something else? HELP!!!!!!

KayB

Life's a dance you learn as you go
Go to Top of Page

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2009 :  08:17:47 AM  Show Profile
Scott cunningham is wonderful. I would definitely take those to heart. There are a lot of new books out after the Charmed wave came through. A lot of them are nonsense and it can be difficult to choose just the right books when you are learning. I have also enjoyed my membership in the order of bards ovates and druids and they have an inexpensive correspondence course which is really good.

www.SarahPauline.com
www.AbraxasBaroque.com
Go to Top of Page

ridgebird
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

willow
MO
USA
52 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2009 :  12:14:14 PM  Show Profile
Merry Meet Everyone! I have been hovering over this group topic, and have so enjoyed reading everyone’s post.
Kay, I agree with Sarah, any book by Scott Cunningham is good. I like to read Ellen Dugan; she is a practicing witch in Missouri. I have a large collection of all kinds of pagan, Wicca, Celtic, books. When I start something, I jump in with both feet. I love to buy used books with highlights and writing in the margin.
Sarah Pauline, your website is beautiful. I would love some info on the druid course. I started my path a year ago. My younger sister was married under the full moon last November 13th by a Wiccan priest. It was a beautiful experience. I have always been very spiritual but not satisfied in my beliefs. I loved going to a country Christian church, but I felt there was way too much fear expressed and not enough love. To me Jesus is Love. I started studying Wicca with my sister. And for once I get it. I don’t question and feel confused like I did before. Like other ladies who have posted, I am not open about my new path. I live in a small community and work in a public place, where the pentagram is considered a sign of the devil. But that is one thing I love about Wicca, you are not out to convert anybody. Well I have jumped right in, no more hovering. Looking forward to the Winter Solstice Swap. Blessings and Peace
Go to Top of Page

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2009 :  1:46:46 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for your kind words :)

Here is the address for OBOD.
http://druidry.org/

The course is something like 15 a month and you get 2 or 3 dvds that walk you through the traditional stories and planning rituals and connecting with the earth. I really love it because $15 is nothing for what all you are getting and it is a reputable organization set up by a professional group, the newsletters are wonderful, there are pilgrimmages planned to go to the UK. Lots of nifty things. I still consider myself part of the neopagan eclectic mob, but I am also a druid! :)

www.SarahPauline.com
www.AbraxasBaroque.com
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2009 :  2:11:42 PM  Show Profile
just wanted to pop in and wish you all a good Samhain. I have to be off to dance now....miss you all!

Tasha-Rose
Farmgirl Sister #88

Blogs:
Etsy:

Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2009 :  10:26:30 AM  Show Profile
A great number of entities were out frolicking in the light of Sister Moon last night! Did you all see her in her beautiousness? Oh goodness. I would have loved to stay out all night...build a fire and strip nekkid and just soak Her in! alas, I could not. Try to get out tonight and see Her if you can!

Blessed Be!

Tasha-Rose
Farmgirl Sister #88

Blogs:
Etsy:

Go to Top of Page

ridgebird
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

willow
MO
USA
52 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2009 :  10:50:34 AM  Show Profile
Tasha, yes I did soak up the beautiful Luna last night. And since the time change she took me to work and back home.
Thank you Sarah for the info. The druid course looks like something I would like to start after the holidays.
Kay, I have another book suggestion for you. I really like “The Way of the Hedge Witch” by Arin Murphy-Hiscock. It speaks to the farm life way of doing things. And if anyone wants some great light reading, I recommend “The Divine Circle” series by Delores Stewart Riccio. Fun reading, very entertaining. I am now reading the “Outlander” serious by Diana Gabaldon. But I get completely lost in that book and can not get anything else done. I started reading that series after seeing it suggested on this forum.
Go to Top of Page

mtngirljon
True Blue Farmgirl

539 Posts

Jonnie
Webster Texas
USA
539 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2009 :  11:15:01 AM  Show Profile
Willow (what a beautiful name!), I also get caught in "Outlander." I've read the series six times altogether. I've always wanted to read "The Way of the Hedge Witch" and haven't gotten around to it yet.

I also tried to soak up some moonlight last night. She was, indeed, very beautiful. I took some photos, but as always they never do her justice. I also had the urge to strip nekkid and dance, but living in the middle of a suburban neighborhood makes that a little difficult. Someday I'll get to do that again . . .

Thanks for being here . . .

Jonnie
Farmgirl #648

"Turn your face to the sun, and the shadows will fall behind you" - Maori Proverb

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 83 Gathered Up: Previous Topic witchy farmgirls? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page