Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - May 22 2010 :  6:39:38 PM  Show Profile
Hi, Stephanie, good to have you here. This is a great group of ladies. We get quiet sometimes when we are all busy but we come back sooner or later. A winter solstice swap might be good if we can all get together.

Blessed Be
Beth

Farmgirl Sister 572

When manure happens just say "WOO HOO Fertilizer".
Go to Top of Page

NudeFoodFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

433 Posts

Heide
Benton City WA
433 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  10:16:53 AM  Show Profile
Hello ladies!

Yes, a swap is a great idea. I was responsible for last years and it never happened. Mostly because I got "booted" from the local sisterhood and just was over all hurt about being called "witchy." "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will. . .

Never hurt me!" I know so juvenile! When will we all grow up?

So yes we should talk more of a swap, and I still have the addresses from last years ladies and can invite them.

But for today, and like all of you, I have a TON of things to do (should of been done yesterday, lol) but for us worker bees, there must be, at least, one moment to ourselves. . .

Sigh. Does your mind ever float to a time you said something or did something that was judged (leaving you embarrassed, still)? Take the deepest breath in and think of that instance than slowly release your breath and let your soul say to yourself, deep inside, "I now lovingly forgive myself and proceed actively in my life, in love."

"Anyone can count the seeds in an apple but only a Goddess knows how many apples are in a seed." ~anonymous

Watch Films by Heide at
http://www.youtube.com/user/strangesky
Go to Top of Page

mtngirljon
True Blue Farmgirl

539 Posts

Jonnie
Webster Texas
USA
539 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  1:34:38 PM  Show Profile
Hi! I'm also back, too. glad to "see" you all. Heide, I too was having some trouble with things that happened in the sisterhood in general - not this string and nothing "directed" at only me. Have kind of been searching for "my" place in spirituality, too. I just borrowed Faransgirl's (Beth who is my real life sister) book called "The Way of the Hedge Witch." It feels so familiar - a place for me to start looking again.

I'm the one who used to be afraid of the horses. They have now so touched my life - I can't imagine being without them. I ride with her as often as I can.

Happy to touch base with all of you again.

Blessings to you all . . .

Jonnie
Farmgirl #648

"Turn your face to the sun, and the shadows will fall behind you" - Maori Proverb

Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  3:48:24 PM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
Heide and everyone,

Love the affirmations. I don't post very often but I always read what is going on here. Hope everyone makes it through all this strange weather we have been having. We have had TOO MUCH wind here this spring and it has been pretty cool overall. Hope it warms up soon so that the garden will take off. I planted extra this year for the Farmers Market. Phyllis, I agree about free food! Glad you are going to make use of all those cherries and not just let them go to waste. Cherry pie filling sounds yummy! Blessings to you all.

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Go to Top of Page

NudeFoodFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

433 Posts

Heide
Benton City WA
433 Posts

Posted - May 25 2010 :  11:20:49 AM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies,
so nice to hear from everyone. It was really strange yesterday, everyone I encountered was a horse rider! Is that the goddess telling me something or what? So you could imagine the shock and joy to hear from Jonnie! Looks like I need to enroll in a horse camp this summer.

On a more serious note, I read some seriously disturbing info yesterday and since we all care and love Gaia so much I thought it appropriate to post here (instead of an affirmation ~and thank you ladies so much for the lovely feedback). But this is serious and since we are all planting our gardens, useful info. this is just a portion of interview, I am sure if you google Jeffery Smith or his book, "Genetic Roulette".

"Jeffrey Smith - Interview 5-18-10

Howdy Folks; Research has shown that our bodies reject Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs) as nutrients, and our bodies create extra cholesterol and proteins in an effort to protect us from the invasion of GMOs. No wonder the epidemic of high cholesterol in our country, when most of the foods purchased in stores contain GMOs.

George Noory : Jeffrey Smith is the Executive Director of the Institute for Responsible Technology, and the leading spokesperson on the health dangers of Genetically Modified Foods. He is founder of The Campaign for Healthier Eating in America.

What’s going on news-wise with GM (genetically modified) foods?

Jeffrey Smith : It’s a big battle all over the world. The stakes are very high, and we’re reaching a culmination - a very important period.

We have the Supreme Court battle over the approval of genetically modified alfalfa. We have the Department of Justice combining with the Department of Agriculture looking at Monsanto to see if it’s a monopoly and what to do about that. The State Department spokesperson in early may said they are actually going to actively confront critics of biotechnology and try and stop the nay-sayers - like me. Big publications like the New York Times, and The Hill - down in D.C. - publishing completely pro-biotechnology as part of their Op Ed pieces. The U.S. negotiators to Codex tried to create a precedent in early May which would have made it difficult to have labeling [about GMOs] - either voluntary or mandatory. The Ohio Governor Ragville is trying to make it illegal for companies to even say that their milk does not have the genetically engineered bovine growth hormone.

At the same time on the other side, India stops genetically modified eggplant, Turkey banned genetically modified imports. More and more doctors organizations are getting on board saying that GMOs are unsafe. The natural Food industry is rallying around a new third-party-verified standard for non-GMO claims called The Non-GMO Project. Non-GMO claims is the fastest growing claim in 2009. Supermarket News predicts an uprising of consumer concern and awareness. So it’s coming to a head.

Since GMOs were introduced in 1996, we’ve never seen a time like this where there’s so much at stake and it could go either way. We’re counting on the tipping point through our Campaign for Healthier Eating in America to drive GMOs out of the market by consumer rejection.

G.N. : Let’s put this in perspective. What is your definition of Genetically Modified Foods?

J.S. : For thousands of years we’ve been cross-breeding - selecting plants with different qualities and combining them through natural sexual reproduction.

With genetic engineering you take a gene from one species - typically bacterial or viral, you make millions of copies of that gene, you add an “on” switch from a virus, and you shoot it out of a gun into a plate of plant cells. Then you clone those cells into a plant, and that’s genetically engineering a crop to produce a trait that it normally doe not carry.

There are primarily two varieties of genetically engineered crops. There are “poison drinkers” and “poison producers”.
The poison drinkers are herbicide-tolerant crops. They are able to receive sprays of a normally deadly herbicide - typically Roundup from Monsanto. So these “Roundup-ready” crops are sold in combination with Roundup herbicide. Most of the crops are designed to drink this poison.

The other is poison-producers where they get a gene from the soil bacterium called the Bacillus Thuringiencis - called Bt (Wikipedia : soil-dwelling bacterium, commonly used as a biological alternative to a pesticide), which is a natural insect killer - it rips open their stomach and kills them.

Now, every cell of certain cotton and corn plants have a little “spray bottle” that produces a toxin which kills plants, and which we also eat when we eat corn varieties.

G.N. : If it kills plants and insects, what does it do to people?

J.S. : This is the subject of my book, Genetic Roulette: The Documented Health Risks of Genetically Engineered Foods. It turns out this is really dangerous stuff.

The American Academy of Environmental Medicine published in 2009 that the animal feeding studies on GMOs showed there’s a causal relationship - not a casual relationship but a causal relationship - between the animal feed and disorders. They [listed disorders] such as infertility, immune system problems, accelerated aging, dysfunctional regulation of insulin and cholesterol, organ damage, gastro-intestinal disorders and other things.

Two weeks ago there was the most recent report of hamsters that were fed genetically modified soy beans. Over a 2-year study, by the third generation most of the hamsters that were eating the genetically modified soy were unable to have babies. The infant mortality of the control groups died at 4 or 5 times the rate of normal hamsters. They were slower in growing, slower to reach sexual maturity, and some had the bizarre feature of having hair growing in their mouths.

G.N. : What is a current list of foods that are genetically modified?

J.S. : Soy and corn are the two major ones because their derivatives are practically omnipresent. There’s dextrose, maltodextrine, high fructose corn syrup, soy lecithin, soy protein isolate. Then there is canola and cotton seed, both used for vegetable oil. And sugar beets which are used for the U.S. sugar supply. Those are the five major crops, and they take up 99 percent of the genetically modified foods. The others are papaya exclusively from Hawaii, and a little bit of zucchini and yellow squash.

If you buy Hershey’s chocolate, Heinz ketchup, Helman’s mayonnaise, some veggie burgers - you should look at the ingredients and they have a lot of these GMO ingredients. So it takes a little study to figure out which brands don’t have GMOs.

We created a “Non-GMO Shopping Guide dot com” which lists hundreds of brands in 22 food categories to tell people which brands don’t have these derivatives, and also gives people a list of those derivatives, and also tips to help avoid GMOs.

G.N. : Should we be concerned that cotton is genetically modified?

J.S. : Yes, for a couple of reasons. It is used for cotton seed oil, so it is a food crop even though people don’t make that association.
Last year I went to India, and wherever I went in a cotton-growing region I followed up reports of reactions by farm workers from touching the cotton. A high percentage of the farm workers who touch this cotton get itching in their bodies, or upper respiratory problems, or eye-swelling.

As I researched this book, Genetic Roulette, I wrote down all the adverse symptoms that I could find, and after I put them all down in the book I did a section called “Connecting the Dots”. I looked specifically at these symptoms that were described by the doctors who were treating the Indian patients. Then I looks at the symptoms being described in a peer-review published study of about 500 people in Washington state of Vancouver who got sprayed with Bt pesticide, and it was the same symptoms."

"Anyone can count the seeds in an apple but only a Goddess knows how many apples are in a seed." ~anonymous

Watch Films by Heide at
Go to Top of Page

mtngirljon
True Blue Farmgirl

539 Posts

Jonnie
Webster Texas
USA
539 Posts

Posted - May 25 2010 :  1:53:57 PM  Show Profile
Heide

Thank you so much for all this useful information! I worked for Whole Foods for a while and was introduced to GMOs as part of the training for the store. I'm going to check the Non-GMO website and see what I find there. I've been paying attention to this for a long time, but did not realize that it's *so* invasive.

Blessings,
Jonnie

Jonnie
Farmgirl #648

"Turn your face to the sun, and the shadows will fall behind you" - Maori Proverb

Go to Top of Page

pinkwitchy~farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

230 Posts

Beverly
Lee's Summit MO
USA
230 Posts

Posted - May 25 2010 :  2:22:16 PM  Show Profile
Heide,

I also want to thank you for the info! WOW! I'm gonna have to look for that book. Reading your post makes me really STOP & THINK! Did you by chance post this over on the "Company Of The Year: Monsanto" thread?....I'm sure the gals there would LOVE to see it!

BB~
Beverly

* * * It is often the bend in the road that makes life worth the drive * * *
Go to Top of Page

Tn.Earthmama
True Blue Farmgirl

451 Posts

Phyllis
Englewood Tennessee
451 Posts

Posted - May 31 2010 :  4:24:57 PM  Show Profile
Hi all, just a quick note to say Hi, hope all is well. we have friends coming for a visit in 4 days, I'm trying to get the house ready for a visit. we are in the midst of several fixer upper projects, so things are a serious mess. LOL. probably won't be on for a few days. blessings Phyllis
Go to Top of Page

mtngirljon
True Blue Farmgirl

539 Posts

Jonnie
Webster Texas
USA
539 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2010 :  07:16:48 AM  Show Profile
Summer solstice will be here soon. I am not very experienced at Sabbat celebrations and would like to have some information about how you celebrate this transition. I'm reading and making a list and I think I'm trying to do too much (as always). Also, I got a new (for me - read that used by someone else before) bedstead this week-end. How would you go about cleansing it?

Thanks!

Blessings . . .

Jonnie
Farmgirl #648

Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2010 :  6:23:42 PM  Show Profile
Tasha I would love to join and have been hanging around for a while. I am a priestess in the Sacred Mists order. It too is an earth/Goddess based spirituality. Have been practicing for more than 10 years. I looked for the Witch Way Farmgirls chapter a while back but couldn't find it so please count me in.

Blessed Be

Farmgirl Sister 572

When manure happens just say "WOO HOO Fertilizer".
Go to Top of Page

mtngirljon
True Blue Farmgirl

539 Posts

Jonnie
Webster Texas
USA
539 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2010 :  06:24:31 AM  Show Profile
OK, so I seem to have missed something, Tasha. I am certainly no priestess, but am searching for knowledge. there's going to be a chapter?

Jonnie
Farmgirl #648

Go to Top of Page

NudeFoodFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

433 Posts

Heide
Benton City WA
433 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2010 :  09:07:12 AM  Show Profile
Hi ladies,

Solstice is always a week of celebration around here. On the 18th I am starting the festivities with a fancy candle lite dinner paired with wine. Mmmmmmmm Then more and more events (BBQ's) outdoors, if weather permits we will (try to) sleep outside.

I have a little alter, that was my moms and we adorn her (its of the goddess mary). There is pics some 20 pages ago. . . lol

SO in the thoughts of Solstice and concerns for the ocean, here is another bruja-ha. . .

Purify. Have you ever been tempted to stripe off all your clothes and dance naked in the rain? Take your most precious bowl and place it outside (on a table making an alter), to collect rain water. On tiny pieces of paper write words describing your most cherished belongings, fold the tiny pieces of paper and place them in the bowl to soak in the next rain drops. When there is enough water, remove the tiny papers, that are mush and place them near one of your flowers. Then take the water to wash your hands.

Watch Films by Heide at
Go to Top of Page

Tn.Earthmama
True Blue Farmgirl

451 Posts

Phyllis
Englewood Tennessee
451 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2010 :  09:56:54 AM  Show Profile
Hi all, how is everyone?? I had company visit from Fla. last week, spent the week getting the house in order(not easy in the midst of remodeling, LOL) all this for an hour long visit. but it was good to see them again.

Heide, dancing in the rain I can do, naked now that's another thing. LOL. I'm going to do the idea with the bowl and the rain. thanks for sharing the suggestions for ritual.

hope everyone's gardens are flourishing and you are enjoying the late spring. blessings Phyllis
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2010 :  05:04:17 AM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
Happy solstice to you all!! :) The word of the day on my internet home page is "heliolatry" which means worship of the sun!

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Go to Top of Page

Tn.Earthmama
True Blue Farmgirl

451 Posts

Phyllis
Englewood Tennessee
451 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2010 :  3:01:39 PM  Show Profile
Happy Solstice everyone!!!! hope it's a wonderful day. Phyllis
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2010 :  5:15:54 PM  Show Profile
Happy Solstice to you!! It's so cloudy and cold here today it feels like April instead of June. It's been a strange year so far. Hope all is well with everyone and a great celebration will be had by all.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

mayamade
Farmgirl in Training

30 Posts

maya
minneapolis minnesota
30 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2010 :  5:20:19 PM  Show Profile
joining you all. i am so happy to have found this spot. some day i might catch up on the thread, until then i'll just start here.
Go to Top of Page

debtea2
True Blue Farmgirl

1853 Posts

deborah
nutley nj
USA
1853 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2010 :  7:24:07 PM  Show Profile
Happy Solstice to you all on this beautiful night
blessing deborah

http://jerseyfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
inch by inch we find our way
jersey farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Tn.Earthmama
True Blue Farmgirl

451 Posts

Phyllis
Englewood Tennessee
451 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2010 :  05:56:58 AM  Show Profile
Hi Maya, Welcome !!!!! so glad you found us, just jump on in.

Sheri, cool and cloudy? wow, it hot and humid here, heat indexes about 100. I was out picking beans yesterday, humming "Summertime, and the living is easy", with sweat dripping off me and thinking I'm not so sure this is easy. LOL. I have limited energy and mobility, so I enjoyed being out in the garden even in the heat. sorry you are having such a tough year for gardening, hard to plan things i imagine. hope it gets more normal soon.

blessed day to all. Phyllis
Go to Top of Page

mayamade
Farmgirl in Training

30 Posts

maya
minneapolis minnesota
30 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2010 :  08:30:10 AM  Show Profile
today is going to be nice but hot and humid here, 80+ degree's and some high level of humidity. it feels sooo good to be sitting in the shade in my garden listening to the kids play. mother nature sure gives us a gift doesnt she?
Go to Top of Page

Tn.Earthmama
True Blue Farmgirl

451 Posts

Phyllis
Englewood Tennessee
451 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2010 :  2:38:34 PM  Show Profile
Hi Maya, 80's in Minn., wow, sounds like Tn. weather. LOL. I am blessed with a lovely shady area in my back yard, and I give thanks every time I go out there, it's just wonderful this time of year. I do enjoy being outside in the shade, my child is 32 so doesn't play much , LOL, I enjoy listening to the birds.we have tons of them here.

take care, blessings Phyllis

Go to Top of Page

NudeFoodFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

433 Posts

Heide
Benton City WA
433 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2010 :  5:49:58 PM  Show Profile
Hello Ladies,
Happy Solstice! With all this sunlight and long days, I am worn out! I had today off and intended to post pictures of how much our Hops have grown, but I napped all day. It's like Spring has slowly kept creeping up on us and now that summer is here, I realize I haven't been resting much.

I hope all is well for all of you and you are treating yourselves special and taking time out for yourself.

Watch Films by Heide at
Go to Top of Page

mayamade
Farmgirl in Training

30 Posts

maya
minneapolis minnesota
30 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2010 :  8:38:43 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Tn.Earthmama

Hi Maya, 80's in Minn., wow, sounds like Tn. weather. LOL. I am blessed with a lovely shady area in my back yard, and I give thanks every time I go out there, it's just wonderful this time of year. I do enjoy being outside in the shade, my child is 32 so doesn't play much , LOL, I enjoy listening to the birds.we have tons of them here.

take care, blessings Phyllis

its almost always above the 80's here in the summer. except right after a storm or a tornado. for about 4 months a year. then its cold for 8 month. about a week and a half in the spring and fall it is a real reasonable temp. but i stay anyway.

things here went well today, children did fire spinning with NOT fire and stilt walking. then i did some of my spring and summer herbalism and soaping. overall a successful day.

thanks for the welcome everyone.
Go to Top of Page

Tn.Earthmama
True Blue Farmgirl

451 Posts

Phyllis
Englewood Tennessee
451 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2010 :  12:01:12 PM  Show Profile
Hi Maya, sounds like you had a great day. I don't know why I didn't realize it got that warm up your way, I mean I knew it did on occasion, but didin't know it did it all the time. before we moved back home to Tn. we looked all over the country to decide where would be the best place for us, though about Maine, but ended up back home. I think there is just something about going back home.

hope today is a wonderful one Phyllis
Go to Top of Page

Tn.Earthmama
True Blue Farmgirl

451 Posts

Phyllis
Englewood Tennessee
451 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2010 :  12:03:04 PM  Show Profile
Heide, good to see you !!!! would love to see pictures of the hops when you get time. nothing that exciting around here, just cucumber vines taking over the back yard. lOL.

hugs Phyllis
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 83 Gathered Up: Previous Topic witchy farmgirls? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page