Annie S
True Blue Farmgirl

756 Posts

Annie
Custer S.D.
USA
756 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2011 :  4:06:06 PM  Show Profile
Afternoon ladies, we too have had warm weather of late and the snow is slowly melting on our mountain top. Michele, what would you recommend to plant as far as herbs to work with? I'm a newbie to all this, so I'm still learning the ropes as they say. We have tons of sage that grows wild on our mountain already. But I would like to put in some containers on the porch/deck of herbs - who knows, it could be the only "garden" I do although I want so much to do some "square foot" gardening in a small way (hubby doesn't do veggies, except corn). Your advise would be greatly appreciated.
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2011 :  8:26:18 PM  Show Profile
Oh my goodness Annie, your hubby sounds like mine...corn corn corn....lol...i have finally gotten him to eat other vegs but corns still #1.
you can never go wrong with Basils...there are so many wonderful ones out there...my favorite is Lime basil.....also Thymes...I get lemon thyme every year because I just love the smell of it...but it is good in pasta as is the lime basil...or put them in a jar with water & normal tea for a great sun tea. I also do chives each year because I love them fresh...I let mine bloom because the purple heads are just as tasty. I am doing a bunch of medical ones...horehound which is used for coughs, purple cone flower another good one for colds, feverfew for fevers
You should get Rosemary but you have big cold winters so it will have to come in once it starts to get cold...but that's a wonderful herb for cooking, put in tea for colds...put in hot boiling water to inhale for blocked sinuses, good in bath for relaxing & calming the body & mind...I put a bunch of it in a paper coffee filter & tie it up with a rubber band & throw it in the bathwater. If you need more help you can always email me OK? Michele'

Are you wanting a mainly eating type herbs or medical herbs? or a mix of both?

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

debtea2
True Blue Farmgirl

1853 Posts

deborah
nutley nj
USA
1853 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2011 :  5:35:30 PM  Show Profile
michele
thanks for all the great tips
i too grow many herbs and love to do
all kinds of things with them and
i'm alway looking for more uses.
didn't know about the sinues thanks
blessings deborah

inch by inch we find our way
jersey farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Annie S
True Blue Farmgirl

756 Posts

Annie
Custer S.D.
USA
756 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2011 :  2:32:33 PM  Show Profile
Thank you so much Michele for all the great tips. Have a feeling the comtainer garden is all I'll be able to do this summer - possibly going to have hip replacement, but hoping not. Will know in a couple of months. Won't be able to get anything out until June - we have late frosts up here - but might get them going inside (just don't have a lot of space in house). But will get SOMETHING going. Thanks again.
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2011 :  3:31:16 PM  Show Profile
I am glad I could help Annie, I love container gardening for the small stuff its so easy & doesn't require all the work a big rowed garden does....but I do both..lol....plus there is something nice about herbs in pots that can be moved....like setting a pot of lemon mint/balm or basil on the picnic table just for the smell of it...have a good evening everyone...Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

TeJo
Farmgirl in Training

39 Posts

Teresa
Shelby AL
USA
39 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2011 :  1:46:51 PM  Show Profile
Hubs and I, (mostly him...) worked in the yard off and on this week. Got monkey grass moved, old bushes pulled out and gardenias planted, day lilies moved, lavender planted, put wildflower seeds in the raised bed I gave to the ants, put out seeds for a shady wildflower bed, and today put more flower seeds in flats on the back porch. My seeds that I saved from some cute little yummy organic grape tomatoes from the grocery store are a couple of inches tall, so I'm hoping they'll be as good as the originals. Still got more seeds to plant and more plants planned to buy and put out. The veggies will be in containers this year. Just easier that way where I am.
I do believe spring has sprung. It's 81 right now.

To me, a witch is a woman that is capable of letting her intuition take hold of her actions, that communes with her environment, that isn't afraid of facing challenges.
- Paulo Coelho -
Go to Top of Page

Sacredwind
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

Kimberly
Osage City KS
USA
9 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2011 :  7:16:06 PM  Show Profile  Send Sacredwind a Yahoo! Message
Well hello fellow witches! I am new here but was so happy to see this thread! nice to meet yall, Blessed Be

Kimberly
Farmgirl sister # 2894
Go to Top of Page

Tn.Earthmama
True Blue Farmgirl

451 Posts

Phyllis
Englewood Tennessee
451 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2011 :  1:30:24 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone, been gone for a while due to health things. just wanted to stop in and say welcome to all the sisters here. i'm so happy to see everyone here, talking and supporting each other. blessings to all. Phyllis
Go to Top of Page

Annie S
True Blue Farmgirl

756 Posts

Annie
Custer S.D.
USA
756 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2011 :  11:53:48 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Kimberly to this fantastic thread - there is so much to learn from one another and also look forward to your sharing with all of us too. Welcome back Phyllis. Hope you're feeling better by now and all is well with you.
Blessed Be
Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2011 :  04:21:59 AM  Show Profile
So glad I found this thread. I have already picked up some great tips just reading through from the start!

~ Elaine
"Be the change you wish to see in the world." - Gandhi

embchicken.blospot.com

Go to Top of Page

Annie S
True Blue Farmgirl

756 Posts

Annie
Custer S.D.
USA
756 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2011 :  7:29:05 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Elaine - so glad you found us.
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2011 :  2:49:32 PM  Show Profile
Hey ladies....'member me???

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
Farmgirl Sister #88

Blogs:
http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
Etsy:
http://ForestFaeries.etsy.com

"Joyful chaos, working in tune with the seasons, telling itme by the sun, variety, change and self-direction; all this wwas replaced with a brutal, standardized work culture, the effects of which we are still suffering from today." - Tom Hodgkinson in 'How To Be Idle'
Go to Top of Page

Luzy
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Luanne
Pueblo Colorado
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2011 :  2:59:10 PM  Show Profile
Hi Tasha! So good to see you are back! Do you remember me from waaay back when on the forum? I came back quite a few months ago, and was thinking about you. How's the family? Bet the kids are growing like weeds! How old are they now? Anyhoo, welcome back, it's great to have you back.

P.S. Are you still reading stories to "us" on you tube? I LOVED that!!

--
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.
http://luzy.etsy.com- My etsy store!
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2011 :  11:05:46 AM  Show Profile
Luzy,
Of course I remember you!! Kids are HUUUUGE I have a big boy now too, not just the girls! He (Degory) is two already! Grace will be 9 next month and Zoe is 5!! Big kids!! Things are well, though I am no longer on my farm. Still own it but a few things changed big in life and we relocated to Minneapolis....Urban Farmgirl now :-D Working on opening a dance studio!!

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
Farmgirl Sister #88

Blogs:
http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
Etsy:
http://ForestFaeries.etsy.com

"Joyful chaos, working in tune with the seasons, telling itme by the sun, variety, change and self-direction; all this wwas replaced with a brutal, standardized work culture, the effects of which we are still suffering from today." - Tom Hodgkinson in 'How To Be Idle'
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2011 :  3:37:46 PM  Show Profile
Welcome back to the circle, Tasha. I've been wondering what you were up to after starting this amazing thread. Do tell :-)
Go to Top of Page

Tn.Earthmama
True Blue Farmgirl

451 Posts

Phyllis
Englewood Tennessee
451 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2011 :  05:38:58 AM  Show Profile
Tasha, so good to see you!!!! see what you started??? all kinds of wonderful sisters here, and we have missed you. hope all goes well in the big city and the dance studio sounds wonderful.

to all our new sisters, welcome, so glad you found us. bright blessings Phyllis
Go to Top of Page

Mommyswanson
True Blue Farmgirl

463 Posts

Laura
Waukegan IL
USA
463 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2011 :  07:35:42 AM  Show Profile
Welcome back Tasha!! Hope all is well!!!

Laura

"That which does not kill us makes us strong!" "I cast all my cares upon you Lord."
Go to Top of Page

Annie S
True Blue Farmgirl

756 Posts

Annie
Custer S.D.
USA
756 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2011 :  3:21:30 PM  Show Profile
So good to have you back in the fold, Tasha. Hope all is well in the big city (use to live there too until retiring to the Black Hills).
Go to Top of Page

TeJo
Farmgirl in Training

39 Posts

Teresa
Shelby AL
USA
39 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2011 :  5:21:17 PM  Show Profile
Got herbs put in pots on the back deck today, veggies in pots out front in the sun yesterday. Hanging plants and ferns for "screening purposes" on the back deck, more hanging pots and impatiens on the front.
My garden is done.
Hope you are all well. Been out of the loop for a bit. Busy, lazy, power outage, kids lives in turmoil, always something.......

To me, a witch is a woman that is capable of letting her intuition take hold of her actions, that communes with her environment, that isn't afraid of facing challenges.
- Paulo Coelho -
Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2011 :  04:23:35 AM  Show Profile
I am going to start my herb seeds today and hopefully (fingers crossed) put together my litle plastic greenhouse so that they will have a cozy place to rest!

~ Elaine

Farmgirl sister #2882
http://embchicken.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2011 :  10:07:21 AM  Show Profile
We have got more rain coming our way so I am hoping soon to get my herb seeds planted but what to wait so they don't wash away...one year I planted & the rains shot them all over the yard! pretty but hard to keep track of & hubby doesn't know whats what when he mows...Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2011 :  11:39:41 AM  Show Profile
Michele' ~ That visual had me cracking up - that hapened to me one year but with spearmint. We all know how spearmint loves to travel around! I'm still finding little shoots of it all over.

~ Elaine

Farmgirl sister #2882
http://embchicken.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2011 :  11:52:55 AM  Show Profile
Michele, it's fashionable now to plant plants instead of lawns -- no mowing needed. What herbs could we plant, I wonder, that would do the trick without alerting mobs of neighbors with pitchforks and torches, yelling "Burn the witch!"? ;-)

I'm thinking of letting nettles have its way, hang the neighbors! Better than a guard dog, handy source of tea for those in the know. Just kidding.
Go to Top of Page

Motholelis Mom
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

Deborah
Louisville CO
USA
37 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2011 :  1:41:29 PM  Show Profile
Some new friends, some old friends, such comfort to have a few minutes to catch up on this beautiful thread that joins us together. Just a few thoughts today about my great grandmother. She was an honest to goodness, old timey, witchy wise woman healer. The family has always told stories about how she would cure warts with spells and herbs buried under the full moon. People in her town would come and ask for her wisdom and knowledge of healing things. Think she was also a midwife. I grew up with these stories, always hearing a little bit of fear and knowing nods that maybe great grandmother was crazy! As an adult, I have asked my father and his siblings to tell me the stories, but they always have that negative bent to them. I dream of finding her physick book someday in some old box, like a precious buried treasure. But for now, I invoke her spirit and connect to her wisdom through the etheric, especially as I am writing a new herbal formula for one of my patients. (I am an acupuncturist and Chinese herbalist).
Just a little word of caution: I love faerie tales so I agreed to see "Your Highness" with DH yesterday. Beware all who enter there! What an awful, awful waste of time, that has left some horrible images in my mind. And the Wise Women are shown as very evil indeed. You will thank me later!
Love and blessings to all,
Deborah

Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling.
-- Margaret B. Runbeck
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2011 :  1:55:26 PM  Show Profile
Oh I don't mind if the seeds get washed away so much if my dear hubby didn't mow them down before I could get to them....lol.....I have always been a fan of the WW11 victory gardens that replaced yards during that time....its such a great idea & we do in america have more lawns than gardens or so has been reported & written about...me I like a bit of grass but I do tend to have my theme gardens everywhere that I can put them.....as well as veg/herb gardens.I have a area in the back that hasn't been touched in years so the soil is really nice so I have started a small orchard of sorts with mini apple trees, blackberries, raspberries & concord grapes I am also planting/throwing out a huge bag of wild flower seeds out there so that I have that instead of the grass to bring in bees & insects that I want there...we have beautiful butterflies in the area & I would love to see tons of them out there just having a gay ole time. Plus it will be an area my hubby doesn't have to mow cause I won't let him...lol....what is it with men & their mowers? for that matter fire also...give my hubby a BBQ grill or a woodstove & there will be fire! Where its needed or wanted...lol...Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 83 Gathered Up: Previous Topic witchy farmgirls? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page