Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Repairing old jeans
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Repairing old jeans Next Topic  

MNFarmGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

USA
52 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2006 :  2:37:23 PM  Show Profile
My fiance has this pair of jeans he just loves but they have developed a large rip from the ankle up about 9 inches. I have been sewing for about 2 years now but I am not sure how to repair them, like what would be the best thread or needle or even if you can repair them (I am still learning). He really loves them and I would love to fix them for him. Could someone give me any tips on how to repair jeans? I really want to cut them up and make a denim quilt, our local church makes them and I just love them. Thanks ladies, MN

"Agriculture...is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end conribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2006 :  4:20:37 PM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
I guess it depends on how they tore. If it's in the seam, it's easy to stitch back together. A good thick thread will do - I've even used upholstery thread on my stuff because it gets so abused. And a heavier needle, go slow (I had a girl that I was teaching to sew once - she kept trying to go faster or pull the denim or something - she broke 5 needles in a half hour!)
Go to Top of Page

MNFarmGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

USA
52 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2006 :  07:51:04 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the tips Lynn, I will try to fix them this weekend.

"Agriculture...is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end conribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

susan kate
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

susan
Western Washington
109 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2006 :  6:34:04 PM  Show Profile
MN, does your church sell the quilts? I just love everything denim and would love to see one of these or figure out how to make one. Anyone out there ever make one?

susan
Go to Top of Page

MNFarmGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

USA
52 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2006 :  6:41:50 PM  Show Profile
Susan my church gives them away to graduates that go to the church, but I am sure that they sell them also. I have donated a lot of old jeans over the years to be cut up. Martha Stewart did an article on denim quilts, you might want to check out her website. I think they are so neat.

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2006 :  6:54:09 PM  Show Profile
oh lordy chile .. i actually PAY extra for rips and tears in jeans! xo

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

susan kate
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

susan
Western Washington
109 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2006 :  9:53:08 PM  Show Profile
Thank you MN Farmgirl. I did search the MS website and found this page with a photo of a darling denim and flannel quilt:

http://tinyurl.com/8fyw3

This is so cute! Good luck with the jeans repair!

susan
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2006 :  08:11:02 AM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by CabinCreek-Kentucky

oh lordy chile .. i actually PAY extra for rips and tears in jeans! xo

True Friends, Frannie

So do I! And I have a pair my dog ripped for me - so I am looking for a swatch of just the right fabric to patch it with!
Go to Top of Page

MNFarmGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

USA
52 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2006 :  09:31:27 AM  Show Profile
Susan that quilt on MS site is so cute, if you decide to make it you will have to post a picture of it. I have one and it keeps me really toasty in the -40 below winters here. The other side of my quilt is flannel, so warm. Aubrey

Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Repairing old jeans Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page