New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Outpost: Previous Topic Bathtubs in the Outdoors Next Topic  

NikkiBeaumont
True Blue Farmgirl

473 Posts

473 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2009 :  08:16:23 AM  Show Profile
I first realized that I wanted a tub outside when I read Bailey White's 1993 book Mama Makes Up Her Mind. Somehow they ended up with one on their porch.

A couple of years ago when we bought a farm in Selma, this long dormant dream resurfaced and we began looking for an old clawfoot tub. Turns out that in Selma almost every field with cows in has an old tub being used as a trough. But what about using a real galvinized trough for a tub? I saw someone do this in a bathroom in a magazine once.

Has anyone got a bathtub set up outside? Can you post pictures?

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2009 :  08:51:39 AM  Show Profile
I haven't done a tub but we made a solar heated outdoor shower using an old water heater and some tiling on the ground.

There are plans for a wood heated hot tub using a galvanized trough. I have a friend who has one, too.

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
Farmgirl Sister #88

Blogs:
http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
Etsy:
http://ForestFaeries.etsy.com

"Joyful chaos, working in tune with the seasons, telling itme by the sun, variety, change and self-direction; all this wwas replaced with a brutal, standardized work culture, the effects of which we are still suffering from today." - Tom Hodgkinson in 'How To Be Idle'
Go to Top of Page

NikkiBeaumont
True Blue Farmgirl

473 Posts

473 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2009 :  09:44:19 AM  Show Profile
Hey! That sounds so cool! I hope that you will post photos of your hot tub when you make it. Sounds neat!

We haven't put in the tub in Selma yet since my husband needs to build a porch across the front of the house first. I want it to be covered because once a snake fell out of a tree onto the actual spot where I want to put the tub. I don't want to bathe with snakes. Yikes!

Go to Top of Page

NudeFoodFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

433 Posts

Heide
Benton City WA
433 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2009 :  10:10:03 AM  Show Profile
What a fabulous idea!

My husband and I always talk about building a "bath house." We bought a used hot tub but decided agaisnt installing it because we would rather remodel out indoor bathrooms. We decided to wait until we could do the indoor jetted spa bath tub.

However I have seen some really incredible outdoor bathrooms.
One in particular was an old hunting house that didn't have a bathroom. So they put the wrap around porch in (like your doing) then on the backside between the bedroom (where there was a door) and the kitchen entrance to the house, they fenced it in with ceder and planted bamboo. Off the side of the porch, going underneath the fence they built a rad pond! so while you were sitting on the, you know or in the bath, you could watch the fish, frogs (in your case maybe snakes?) and listen to a gentle waterfall. The bathroom was great but very cold. My friend who showered there often(they had a pipe shower curtian hanging over the tub) didn't care too much for it and wouldn't move in until her fiance "finished it"; I guess it is wise to do an indoor and outdoor facility.
I wish I had pictures. Anyhow best of luck to ya.
Heide

Nude Food Farm
~Grown so good,
Dressing is Optional.
Go to Top of Page

NikkiBeaumont
True Blue Farmgirl

473 Posts

473 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2009 :  2:43:15 PM  Show Profile
What great ideas! I like that they grew some bamboo to partially screen it. I wonder if they let the tub drain into the pond? I thought that maybe after I bathe I could water whatever plants we decide to put in around it. It is fun to plan all of this because the place is absolutely as informal as you can get. It is mainly a hunting camp also and I don't have to worry about neighbors or building codes! HA!

Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

JoAnn
Colville Washington
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2009 :  2:58:53 PM  Show Profile
Maryjane has an outside bathtub on the deck of one of her wall tents. It's red! In her Outpost Book she has pictures and instructions on how to make one. JoAnn
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17047 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17047 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2009 :  5:04:18 PM  Show Profile
Yep JoAnn, MaryJane sure does and Mima-Debi actually used the tub outside her tent & said she LOVED-IT!
>^..^<

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
"I've never met a sewing machine I didn't like!"

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://www.graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

NikkiBeaumont
True Blue Farmgirl

473 Posts

473 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2009 :  03:12:03 AM  Show Profile
I have yet to get MaryJane's Outpost book, but I can't wait to see this tub! I am sure that it will be fabulous. Already I am imagining myself soaking under a mountain of fragrant bubbles, listening to a mockingbird's song, lifting one leg up into the golden sunlight and running a razor up and down, getting every last hair because I can actually SEE what I am doing. Ha!

Farmgirl Sister #554
Go to Top of Page

Mikki
True Blue Farmgirl

1510 Posts

Mikki
Austin Indiana
USA
1510 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2009 :  05:00:08 AM  Show Profile
Sooo funny Nikki, lol@every last hair. I have an old trough I use for my bathtub at my getaway cabin across the creek. I haven't set it up to heat the water like MaryJanes is but I plan to do that this summer. I enjoy heating my water up on the woodburning cook stove or outside over the firepit and sitting on the porch in my tub listening to the birds sing, so peaceful.

~~Blessings, Mikki Jo

"Courage is being scared to death... but saddling up anyway" ***John Wayne

http://main.acsevents.org/goto/iloveyoumom

http://burningmeadowsprings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

NikkiBeaumont
True Blue Farmgirl

473 Posts

473 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2009 :  12:59:27 PM  Show Profile
Hey, Mikki! Cool that you are using an old trough for a bathtub! So it does work! We are going down to the farm this weekend and I am going to attempt to cook over our firepit for the first time. You know, we may just have to stop by the co-op and get a trough on the way there. I bet I could heat some water for the tub/trough, too. I thought that this would be something that I would wait to do until we could hook up some plumbing but now I realize that I don't have to!

Farmgirl Sister #554
Go to Top of Page

Carol
Moderator/MaryJane's Design Diva

452 Posts

Carol
Moscow Idaho
USA
452 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2009 :  2:06:12 PM  Show Profile
Hi girls.
Here's something fun for those of you who are discussing outdoor bathtubs. This morning, we received the following request from the New York Times:

Have an outdoor tub? The New York Times would love to see it.

The Home section of The New York Times is doing a story on outdoor bathtubs. Funky or fancy, we’d love to see what you’ve done. E-mail Joyce Wadler, reporter in the Home section, at jwadler@nytimes.com The photos are not for publication, they’re just to give us an idea of what you’ve done.

Thanks for your help.
Joyce Wadler

So if you've already made your tub dreams a reality, send Joyce your photos!

Carol
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming 'WOO HOO, what a ride!'"
Go to Top of Page

mulegirl
True Blue Farmgirl

184 Posts

rosemary
cottonwood pass co
USA
184 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2009 :  6:40:56 PM  Show Profile
Ahhh, one of my favorite things is my galvenized stock tank. We had to get one just for hot-tubbing and let the mules keep theirs since we kept borrowing theirs. We put our tank on a base of cinderblocks set closely together surrounding a propane turkey cooker, to keep the flame from the wind. You fill the tank with good fresh water and no stinkey hot tub chemicals, heat her up and in about twohours and $4 worth of propane, a bottle of wine (put a 2 x 4 across the top of the tub for a mini table) you have an excellent 104 degree indulgence. I am totally addicted and it is really fun on a cold lightly snowy evening.
I don't know how to add a a photo so check out the HOT TUB page at:
http://web.mac.com/rosmary art

happy trails
http://web.mac.com/rosemaryart
Go to Top of Page

NikkiBeaumont
True Blue Farmgirl

473 Posts

473 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2009 :  04:14:23 AM  Show Profile
Rosemary, great set-up with the tub! I checked out the rest of your website and WOW, you are a way cool and talented person. I love your horse paintings and that pig in a bathing suit is hilarious!

Farmgirl Sister #554
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2009 :  07:36:15 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Carol,
Thanks for posting on this. I saw it yesterday when you posted and thought; How fun! I dont have mine yet, but I have been on the prowl...While I love the red one at the farm ( and there are several others), I keep picturing a soft yellow one out back.........for those that know me well wont be surprised about the yellow...

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185
http://farmchicksfarm.blogspot.com/http://renenaturallyspeaking.blogspot.com/

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)
Go to Top of Page

mulegirl
True Blue Farmgirl

184 Posts

rosemary
cottonwood pass co
USA
184 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2009 :  10:57:52 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the kind compliments. I'm an art addict. The pig was an experiment with a new little chain saw I got. Boy are they fun. Everyone carves restic stuff and rarely paints them, so this was my attempt at a little more refined chainsaw art.
I paint animals the best because I love them so much. Thanks again!
Enjoy,
Rosemary

quote:
Originally posted by NikkiBeaumont

Rosemary, great set-up with the tub! I checked out the rest of your website and WOW, you are a way cool and talented person. I love your horse paintings and that pig in a bathing suit is hilarious!

Farmgirl Sister #554

smile, follow your heart and don't look back
http://web.mac.com/rosemaryart
Go to Top of Page
  Outpost: Previous Topic Bathtubs in the Outdoors Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page