kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - May 02 2009 :  11:35:45 PM  Show Profile
Does anyone dress so-called "modestly"

Do you wear pants? or do you wear skirts only?

I have a heck of a time finding clothes for my DD that don't have everything hanging all out-showing. I have been trying to set more of an example in that area, and being conscience of my attire.
I don't dress like the Duggar girls, but I am not hanging out all over either.

I just don't want to look frumpy and un-stylish.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland

Miss2Missus
True Blue Farmgirl

407 Posts

Karen
Asheville NC
USA
407 Posts

Posted - May 02 2009 :  11:38:35 PM  Show Profile
i worry about when i have a daughter cause i'm a little disgusted with how short the shorts have gotten for kids.

its hard to walk the line of being fashionable and un-frumpy but still being modest.

Karen ^_^

http://apple-and-eve.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - May 02 2009 :  11:49:57 PM  Show Profile
I agree, aren't the clothes for little girls/young ladies just trashy????????

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - May 03 2009 :  04:27:32 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
for a grown woman to be "hanging out all over" just isnt attractive anyway. even if she does have a great body it just says something less than desirable about her personality. its sad, especially when trying to deal with repressive summer heat, but it is true.

layering is a great way to stay covered up and still look "in." for summer a cute tank or sleeveless blouse with a light weight vest can be paired with a knee grazing skirt or a pair of city shorts for a modest yet stylish look. a knee length cotton trapeze dress, belted at your narrowest point below the bust line is flattering and very hot this season.

as for little girls, i am still a huge fan of the sundress. they have a sweet innocent appeal and since most are cotton they wash well. my daughters wear thiers over shorts so that they can keep up with the boys with out showing off thier panties. since the length (or rather lack of length) of most shorts made for little girls disturbs me, i rarely put my girls in regular shorts. denim bremuda shorts or light cotton capris are pretty standard for mine.

What we write today slipped into our souls some other day when we were alone and doing nothing.
-Brenda Ueland

http://quilandneedle.blogspot.com/

http://musingandmuttering.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - May 03 2009 :  06:17:15 AM  Show Profile
I'm always covered up. I usually go to the Eddie Bauer catclog for clothes. The Vashon fit pants and jeans are really nice- not too low, not too high. Their T-shirts are very modest and the skirts are super cute. :) I only get a few pieces every now and then because they are a bit pricey, but they are worth the $$. I usually try and see what's on clearance first.
I agree about tennage girls and little girls clothing- it is horrible. Hoochie Mama central is what we call those departments at the stores.

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

www.perfectlittlemiracle.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - May 03 2009 :  07:22:44 AM  Show Profile
We dress pretty modestly. I don't wear dresses all the time, but my jeans aren't too snug and I make my shorts long enough so when I sit down you can't see up them.
You are right about the little kids clothes. If I get clothes for Tori,3, I found that they are way too short because she has such long legs. If I add eyelet lace or a little ruffle or material to the bottom, it makes them not so tight at the legs and she can be rambuncuous and not have to worry about her shorts looking rude! :)
hugs

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

"You are my strength when I am weak. You are the treasure that I seek. You are my all in all. Seeking You as a precious jewel; Lord, to give up I'd be a fool. You are my all in all."

Stop by my blog for a visit www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - May 03 2009 :  1:35:22 PM  Show Profile
We, too, dress modestly. I wear jeans most of the time, not skin tight but not too loose as they would get caught on fencing, etc. As for shirts, I get tanks but then wear a sleeveless shirt over them and slightly buttoned up from the bottom. My DD(age 12) does the same basic thing. Even our dresses for church don't go above our knees and we prefer the ones that are at least mid calf or longer.
My DD wears the tight type of cotton shorts over her one piece bathing suit as bathing suits tend to creep up on the buttocks and she wants to be covered. The only other time she wears those type of shorts is under her knee length dresses to church because she feels more comfortable being sure if she runs and plays after service she is covered.

It is a blessing to have a child who is modest and it does help a whole lot when they are homeschooled and don't get all that peer pressure in school.

We(DD and I) have never been slaves to fashion. We don't need the latest "look", we have our own style (farmgirl style) and it works for us because we are always working in it.

For myself, I've found a few style of tops that I really like and are comfortable so I've purchased new patterned material to duplicate them in.

When I was a young lady my mother and grandmother's would always tell me, "leave something to the imagination". Too many these days "give it all away" at a glance, very unattractive and a pity.

Cindy

FARMGIRLS CAN DO ANYTHING!!!

I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth. Psalms 34:1
Go to Top of Page

Miss2Missus
True Blue Farmgirl

407 Posts

Karen
Asheville NC
USA
407 Posts

Posted - May 03 2009 :  1:44:23 PM  Show Profile
i have one friend who was an expert at dressing modestly and still being really cute and stylish. and up i have to agree with Corrine, it was all in the layering.

When she wore a shirt that was cut just a bit too low she would were another tank under it. or put on cardigans.

i know some people automatically associate cardigans with being out of date but they are actually a great way to keep your style updated. the can be bright and colorful and more reserved or embellished.

Karen ^_^

Go to Top of Page

carolbrigid
True Blue Farmgirl

263 Posts

Carol
Glen Burnie Maryland
USA
263 Posts

Posted - May 03 2009 :  2:00:53 PM  Show Profile  Send carolbrigid a Yahoo! Message
I guess I dress modestly. I have NO sense of style. I wish I did. I always seem to wear the same jeans and tshirts. I wish I have more of a farmgirl way of dressing and by that I mean the cute long prairie skirts, with the aprons,. I did get a pair of the cowgirl boots with the little fringe on the front that I think are sooo cool looking. Any suggestions for a cool farmgirl look??? Thanks!

Farmgirl Hugs,
Carol

Farmgirl Sister #222
Member, Crafty Bay Farmgirl Chapter
Go to Top of Page

Jessi Lynn
True Blue Farmgirl

144 Posts

New York
USA
144 Posts

Posted - May 03 2009 :  2:28:53 PM  Show Profile
I like shopping at Lands End on-line. They got clothing that's in, but classic.
I don't wear skirts as much as I wear pants. I like that they have pants with different waist styles. They have the modern low rise, the classic that's a little below your waist and the traditional that's right at your waist.I love their dresses and skirts. They're a little pricey for me but they have great deals on their overstock section.
The kids clothing is great too-it's made well. The swim suits are lined all the way-so there's no see through and it has sun protection. Most of their girls skirts have attached shorts. Our other favoirte is the dresses-they're made of 100% cotton jersey. The dresses a little pricey (24.95) but if you wait till they're marked down you can almost get 2 for the price of one-we got a couple long sleeved dresses that were marked down to 9.99.

jessi lynn
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - May 03 2009 :  3:50:51 PM  Show Profile
Jessie Lynn,
Doesnt Lands End have a clearance catalog every so often?
hugs

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

"You are my strength when I am weak. You are the treasure that I seek. You are my all in all. Seeking You as a precious jewel; Lord, to give up I'd be a fool. You are my all in all."

Stop by my blog for a visit www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mommatracy
True Blue Farmgirl

490 Posts

Tracy
My. Olive NC
USA
490 Posts

Posted - May 03 2009 :  4:17:33 PM  Show Profile
Check this out: Stop Dressing Your Six Year Old Like A Skank. A book by Celia Rivenbark from North Carolina. Amazon.com
I totally support dressing modestly in this skanky world we live in. My daughter will not allow her baby to wear anything but a one piece bathing suit this summer. Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!Modesty will get you more positive attention than the negative attention you get from trying to put your self "out there" with "skankiness"( Boobs popping out,Muffin tops over your "too" low cut "too"tight jeans,six year old clothes mirrowing Hannah Montana,Brittney whatever fashions. Why can't little girls look like little girls? Let them be sweet...not cheap. They don't know any better...but we do. Let's start a revolution! Let's bring back little girl to the little girls. Let Modesty Rule!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

www.cottagebythebay.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - May 03 2009 :  5:56:32 PM  Show Profile
I'm with the rest of you!

As for small girls it's expensive, but I love it Stradsburg children. The clothing is TOP notch quality. I buy WAY out of season for a season or two head. I got my daughter two winter/fall dresses for 15 dollars each there last week. Granted you can only buy them that cheap at the store not online (they will be gone too fast by the time clearance goes that low online), and you don't always get your top picks of colors/styles that they sell. But, 15 dollars, for GREAT dresses, wonderful quality, it was worth it. Their dresses are very long, PLUS they have french seems which allow you to let them out. Their seems are so large (up high on the fabric) that I can tell I could easily let out my daughters seems (she's 2) another 4 to 6 inches. They also on purpose make all their dresses with ties or buttons so you can adjust the waist. You can easily get 2 to 3 years of wear out of each dress (meaning if you adjusted the ties/buttons & let out hems, etc correctly, the size 2 I got my daughter is easily going to be able to be worn modestly and beautifully till she is at least 3 or 4 years old!).

As for me I've always been one to dress modestly. I am not like the duggars in comparison (I don't wear dresses/skirts all the time). BUT, when I do, I do like to wear their style of dresses/skirts. I like to sit with one leg up under the other (half indian style I guess! lol) and you can't do that in a short skirt modestly. I also refuse to wear panty hose...and for church a longer skirt I can wear knee highs and when I sit, you don't see the tops of them like on Mamma's Family! lol hahahaha

As for tops, it's harder to find modest ones that are also stylish, but you just have to keep looking. I've found a few believe it or not at Walmart that I love last year. But, this year no such ones again. I look high and low though. And am in need of some new tops. I have had limited success at Camile's, Fashion Bug, Catherine's and a few other places. I find a gem at them once in a while, so it's worth it to keep looking. My problem is, I can rarely wear button downs as really I am a size 12 every else, but a size....20 on the breast...but arms, stomach ect are a 12....so that makes it difficult with button downs, because if the buttons don't buldge on the chest then it is baggy every where else! As I wear a 38G bra! Yeah....so...any way....

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - May 03 2009 :  8:17:09 PM  Show Profile
I am thrilled she tends to be modest,and not hoochie. I actually found quite a few shirts for Lauren at Aeropastle. Their shirts tend to run long lengthwise, but small and do shrink. So we buy them a size larger and don't dry them in the dryer.
My problem with her shorts is she has mile long legs, so even longer ones look like they're "daisy dukes." She is only 5 feet tall, but her legs are longer than mine, and I am 5'8".
She mostly wears one piece suits too. I let her try a binkini last year, and she didn't like it. (See....Mom knows best!!) That suit was worn a few times before she moved onto her one piece.

I have started layering more and more. Not sure if I will be able to keep it up when it is 98 degrees, with a 77% humidity and I am dying of heat, guess I'll see on that.

I wear jeans that are "low" riders for lack of a better term, but I do make sure everything is amply covered and then some. If I wear pants at my regular waist, for some reason it makes my old c-section scar hurt.
For work it is mostly docker style pants with a cute top/sweater of some kind. Once in a blue moon I wear a skirt, but it is usually very long, with a pair of sandals/flats. No pantyhose for this girl if I can help it.
In the winter, it is way too cold to wear a skirt when it is -20 degrees, with a -45 degree windchill. Even if one does own a Extra Tall Eddie Bauer down coat,and cuddl duds long johns.
One question, can one still wear lace up boots(in my case, Doc Martens) with long skirts, or is that out?
In any case, it sounds like being modest goes with a being a Farmgirl.

Go to Top of Page

Miss2Missus
True Blue Farmgirl

407 Posts

Karen
Asheville NC
USA
407 Posts

Posted - May 03 2009 :  8:27:26 PM  Show Profile
thanks for the book mention tracy i couldnt remember the name.

and kate, as far as im concered you can always wear docs with long skirts.

trends come and go so quickly any more its ridiculas. just enjoy.

Karen ^_^

Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - May 03 2009 :  8:32:37 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Karen,I was just thinking of my sore tootsies. I have never been much of a slave to fashion.

Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - May 03 2009 :  9:44:53 PM  Show Profile
I wear lace up boots with long skirts - been doing that awhile, so it may be out, but I still love it. Either boots or flip flops with long skirts.

Farmgirl Sister #98
Visit my online store at:
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba
Go to Top of Page

mommatracy
True Blue Farmgirl

490 Posts

Tracy
My. Olive NC
USA
490 Posts

Posted - May 04 2009 :  06:20:37 AM  Show Profile
Heather, thanks for the strasburg childrens clothing mention. I checked it out and love it.
Check out orientexpressed.com it is the same type of classic clothing for children.
Tracy

www.cottagebythebay.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - May 04 2009 :  08:20:32 AM  Show Profile
I dress modestly. I have found a hard time finding something just right. I really like Christopher & Banks for tasteful yet conservative shops. They are similar to Coldwater Creek but not as expensive :)

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - May 04 2009 :  10:09:42 AM  Show Profile
I havve been told I am,"Library Chic." I love A-line knee length skirts, pearls. For years I wore cat eye glasses. I always have worn mid-calf khaki skirts with t's, or a white collared shirt. Since I moved to Idaho I have given up wearing mostly white because I am a mom, and my washing machine has a grey water thing going on. So no bleach for me, I went green, and I am fairly allergic to it anyway. Thank goodness for Borax. Luckily DH loves black t's.
My little sister, 13 years younger, the last child, was raised to let do whatever she wanted. She is a muffin topper, labret pierced, visible tattoo person. Nothing is low cut enough or tight enough. She wonders why she has no job. At one point I finally put my foot down and told her that I wasn't taking her anywhere in her pajamas. One time we got into an argument over wearing purple glitter eyeshadow to a job interview. Pray for us.

Trish

Make cupcakes not war!
Go to Top of Page

Hickory Hill FarmGirl
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Michelle
Illinois
USA
11 Posts

Posted - May 04 2009 :  12:05:17 PM  Show Profile
I think there's nothing cuter than a sundress! They can be modest too. That made me laugh when BarefootGoatGirl said her lil girls where shorts under their dresses, I still wear shorts under my skirts/dresses b/c I just feel more comfortable while gardening knowing I'm not gonna give the poor mailman a shock when he drives up to the box!

I personally HATE those Bratz dolls! They do not promote the values and attitudes that I would want my lil girl to have.

My Shop www.birdsoftheair.etsy.com My Blog www.birdsoftheairblog.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

lacisne88
True Blue Farmgirl

1181 Posts

Chelsey
Lake Stevens Washington
USA
1181 Posts

Posted - May 04 2009 :  12:10:06 PM  Show Profile
I'm 21 and I guess I don't dress "modestly", I mean matronly... I don't dress trashy and I am always covered, but I am young and I wear jeans most days. I usually wear a pair of blue-jeans and a tank top under another top. I wear the tank unerneath so I won't have cleavage hanging out :) I don't want everything to be hanging out either, unless I'm going "out" lol!

Chelsey
Farmgirl Sister #283

http://farmgirlpleasures.blogspot.com/

http://aminiatureworld.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - May 04 2009 :  12:11:24 PM  Show Profile
I agree--I'm not sure why anyone wants their child to dress so revealing. I don't do it myself...here's hoping when Violet turns 10-17 that they will have moisture wicking turtlenecks for these humid Kentucky summers...kidding, kidding. Ok. Not really :)

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - May 04 2009 :  12:52:57 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
I think TV and all the hype on commercials is what makes young people want to dress like that. Magazines, etc also.
The only answer I would have is to teach our children by example and by discipline to be modest, just like anything else we try to teach.
I get disgusted when I see little girls in mini skirts showing underwear as well as tops that should be swim suits. We all obviously know that it is meant to be "sexy"...so are high heels!

When I was young I insisted on wearing the latest style, such as mini skirts and hot pants...
When I was in my 20s after high school, I got a job at a hospital in the kitchen. When I was given my uniforms (dresses) I took them home and hemmed them up above my knee...probably 3 or 4 inches....then the next day when I came to work boss made me take the hems back down before the next work day...lol
I was very young compared to the other ladies who worked there!

Linda
in Scranton, PA
farmgirl #71

Edited by - yarnmamma on May 04 2009 12:57:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - May 04 2009 :  1:09:50 PM  Show Profile
I hate the Bratz too!

American Girl is much better! And Stradsburg sells their clothes for them! lol I got my daughter a doll dress to match her dress for 6 dollars on the clearance last week. :)

Thanks Tracy I will check it out, it looks great!

One thing I can't stress enough about Stradsburg is their quality. It is the highest quality clothing I have seen in ages. The thickness of the material, the sewing, it's all just such high high quality. And I love that they purposely make the clothes so they are easily adjusted to grow with your child for a few years. :) Makes the price seem more worth it. BUT, I will admit, their prices were shocking. And I have yet to purchase anything over 30 dollars. lol I'm a clearance rack person! lol :)

BTW, with my religion skirts/dresses are required during certain things. And we have very cold weather and high wind here too.

LONG wool skirts (very long), layering a must, here's what I do start with cuddle duds on bottom, tank top on top. Then thermal pants on top of cuddle duds on bottom, cuddle duds on top of tank on top. VERY thick sweater on top, wool skirt on bottom. Long heavy coat over all. On feet thin dress socks, then wool socks over them, then nice insulated boots on top. :) Then I'm just right and can be outside for a good amount of time. Don't forget the scarf, ear muffs, and hat on top too! lol

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - May 04 2009 :  1:13:44 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
wow Heather...and I am in PA..but I don't spend long times outside.

Doesn't it get warm this time of year and warmer thru summer?

Linda
in Scranton, PA
farmgirl #71

The Universe says: Speak abundance and act abundantly, no matter what, and an outpouring of the "stuff," far in
excess of what we could ever spend will come!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Farmgirl Fashion: Previous Topic Modest Dressing/Attire Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page