sharikrsna
True Blue Farmgirl

182 Posts

Shari
Carthage Illinois
USA
182 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2009 :  11:37:13 AM  Show Profile
OMG! I just sprinkled cornstarch with rose oil into my carpet before I vacuumed, and my house smells like a rose garden!!!!! So much better than chemically carpet fresh!

Shari
Farmgirl Sister #607

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2009 :  8:34:00 PM  Show Profile
Shari:
Was it just cornstarch and you added rose oil. Or, did it come with rose oil? I need to do that. I don't like the chemically carpet fresh stuff.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

sharikrsna
True Blue Farmgirl

182 Posts

Shari
Carthage Illinois
USA
182 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2009 :  11:03:48 PM  Show Profile
Yeah, just cornstarch right out of the pantry! I put some in a measuring cup, poured in some oil, and stirred it up, then sprinkled it on. The beauty of that plan is you can use a different oil each time!

Shari
Farmgirl Sister #607
Go to Top of Page

LauriP
True Blue Farmgirl

239 Posts

Laurianne
Hertford North Carolina
USA
239 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2009 :  2:38:02 PM  Show Profile
Shari -- does this work on carpet that has old cigarette smoke in it? Our little cabin is better now that we've repainted all the rooms, but the carpet still has a cig. smell in it when it gets humid like today. It drives me up the wall, and I don't like to always go around and spray Fabreeze (sp) on the floor.

I've used cornstarch on other things, but never with some oil to help soak up "Stuff" -- lol!!

Laurianne
Go to Top of Page

sharikrsna
True Blue Farmgirl

182 Posts

Shari
Carthage Illinois
USA
182 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2009 :  9:08:27 PM  Show Profile
We had that problem when we first bought our fifth wheel. We had to use a carpet steamer two times to get the smell out. But try the cornstarch first, it's definitely cheaper!

Shari
Farmgirl Sister #607
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2009 :  05:48:28 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I used to clean houses professionally and with cigarette smoke you have to be a bit more aggressive. Cigarette smoke is very oily so it needs to be cleaned very aggressively to get it out. What it sounds like at your cabin, Lauri is that the pad of your carpet still has cigarette residue in it. If you have already steam cleaned it, then the fabric refresher using the cornstarch like Shari has suggested will mask the odor for you for a day or two. But if you haven't had a professional company come in to steam clean, you might think about it. Their machines can get down into the pad of the carpet and unfortunatly the home machines and even the rentals just don't do as good of a job.

Another thing you might consider is putting down baking soda and leaving it sit over night then vacuuming. Baking Soda is a better odor absorber and neutralizer. But with the carpet powder- the baking soda would neutralize some of the scent you want so that is why most people use cornstarch.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

LauriP
True Blue Farmgirl

239 Posts

Laurianne
Hertford North Carolina
USA
239 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2009 :  11:40:25 AM  Show Profile
Thanx alee -- I think that the previous owners had claimed that the carpet was cleaned, but I shudder to think what they may have used..if anything at all.

I feel so dumb for not thinking about baking soda..Duh! -- I know I've used salt to get rid of fleas when one of our dogs years ago had fleas really bad. Same idea -- but leave the salt in the carpet a week, (get the salt into the fibers really good with a broom), then vacuum it out. If necessary, do this a second time.

Thanx for lettin' me know about this -- will do this tonight before goin'to bed.

Laurianne
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2009 :  12:33:57 PM  Show Profile
My three dogs got into something and all three now smell like sour milk!!! GROSS! Any suggestions for that? LOL!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page
  Try This: Previous Topic Carpet smell like dog? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page