Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Tie One On - sign up and join the "movement"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Tie One On - sign up and join the "movement" Next Topic
Page: of 4

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
Farmgirl Sisterhood #639 MO
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2009 :  1:15:17 PM  Show Profile
I was looking at EllynAnne Giesel's website yesterday and saw the advertisement for National Tie One On Day. I don't know if anyone else has seen/heard of/participated in this, but I thought it was really cool. On November 25th, the day before Thanksgiving, you take a fresh loaf of bread wrapped in a new apron with a prayer or note of encouragement tucked inside and deliver it to someone in need. Whether they are needing a boost in spirits or are experiencing some other type of hard time.

I thought this was a FANTASTIC idea and I thought it sounded very much like something all you wonderful farmgirls might be interested in.

My sister and the rest of my family works very hard to make sure my nieces understand how important it is to give to others. And, in light of that fact, I am proposing that my mom, sister, nieces and myself participate in National Tie One On Day this year and add it as a Thanksgiving family tradition.

What do you ladies think about this?

Edited to say : If you would like to participate in National Tie On On Day through this thread you are welcome! We will be posting pics of the aprons we make and hopefully, after the fact, we can share our stories and how participating in the event affected us as individuals, our families, etc. Click on the link below for more information on National Tie One On Day. This links to EllynAnne's website Apron Memories.
http://www.apronmemories.com/news/tie-on-one-day.html

I will be making aprons and helping my nieces make aprons for this event for the next couple of weeks. Just bumping up to remind everyone. Also, MJF was kind enough to send back issues of MJ magazines to those who wish to participate. I will be wrapping a copy of the back issues of the magazine in with my bread and apron. If you are able to do so, please take a picture of your apron to post on the site. I would love to hear stories from the farmgirls making their deliveries as well. Thank you ladies!!!

Edited by - chaddsgirl on Nov 02 2009 10:59:33 AM

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2009 :  7:25:57 PM  Show Profile
Sarah - I had heard this mentioned before - EllynAnne posts here on occasion, but I think this is a perfect farmgirl project/tradition!! I'm up for it, we should try to see how many people we can get in on this, and post pictures
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2009 :  10:10:37 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
Hi gals,
I think I saw this also in MaryJane's magazine. I don't know anyone who wears aprons...but I'm game if you are....I'm sure if I try I can find somebody.
Count me in too!
:-)

Linda in Scranton, PA
Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2009 :  04:41:38 AM  Show Profile
Count me in!!! This is a GREAT Idea!! Thank you for posting it.
I like the idea of taking pictures of our "Tie one on"

Joanna #566
JojoNH

http://www.CountryCents.com
http://CountryCents.Blogspot.com
http://Twitter.com/Eastwooddesigns
Go to Top of Page

Sue Feely
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Sue
Buffalo New York
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2009 :  08:35:57 AM  Show Profile
Wonderful idea - count me in also!

Sue Feely
Sister #349
Go to Top of Page

Lynner
True Blue Farmgirl

225 Posts

Sheri
Missouri
USA
225 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2009 :  2:21:03 PM  Show Profile
Sarah, sounds great. Count me in...

Many Hands Make Light Work!

...God made the seed to grow...

Edited by - Lynner on Jul 12 2009 2:21:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

Cabinprincess
True Blue Farmgirl

682 Posts

Melody June
Athens TX
USA
682 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2009 :  3:09:31 PM  Show Profile
I'm in. Keep me posted. I love this idea.
Smiles, Melody June

God's gift to you are your talents, your gift to Him is how you use them.
Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2009 :  08:03:07 AM  Show Profile
OOOOOHHHHH!!!! I'm so excited that everyone is interested!!! This is fantastic!!! I think I'm going to change the title of this thread so it looks more like an event. Wish you all could see me, I'm pretty close to jumping up and down and clapping my hands.

Linda - I kind of felt the same way. I mean, other than you farm girls and the ladies in my family, I don't know many people who wear aprons either. However, I think the thoughtfulness of taking an apron and fresh loaf of bread to someone who needs a hand up will still encourage them. Who knows, maybe we'll convert them to Apron Wearers! LOL!!!

You girls are the best!

Farmgirl # 639
Go to Top of Page

crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2009 :  08:48:22 AM  Show Profile
what type of bread do we send along with the apron? Do we find someone in our community that is in need? this is something I would like to do with my daughters.
xoxo-Lori

Thank GOD I'm a Country Girl!
Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2009 :  09:29:14 AM  Show Profile
Lori - It doesn't seem like there are really any rules as far as what kind of bread, what type of apron, etc. So I would say it's whatever kind of bread you normally make (or try out a new recipe if you like). My mom bakes sourdough bread to take to the farmer's market, so I imagine she will probably use a loaf of that bread. I usually just make plain white bread every week for my husband and myself, and I generally take a loaf with me to Thanksgiving day at Grandma's house. So I am planning to make an extra loaf to give away. I would think if you prefer to make bannana, zuchinni, pumpkin or any type of bread you like, that would be more than acceptable.

As far as who you give it to, that is entirely up to you. It might be someone who has recently been ill and is recovering, someone you know who has suffered a loss, maybe someone who is struggling emotionally or financially, the choice is yours.

My interpretation of the National Tie One On Day spirit it to lift up the women around us. Whether they are in need of a friend, a shoulder to cry on or just someone to show they care. How many of us have, at some time in our lives, recieved a gift from a friend that seemed to come just at the time we needed it most? My perspective on this event is to show other women, maybe even someone we don't really know, that they are not alone.

Farmgirl # 639
Go to Top of Page

Tammyb
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Tammy
Bluffton Ohio
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2009 :  12:56:25 PM  Show Profile
I think this is a great idea. We all need to be encouraged and encouraging to other woman.
Count me in. Now to keep me eyes and ears and heart open. We could do this just any old time we see a need!

Tammyb
Sisterchick #541

Live to leave a legacy

Go to Top of Page

peachy
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Melissa
Fennville MI
USA
593 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2009 :  5:49:54 PM  Show Profile  Send peachy a Yahoo! Message
What a great idea! I might need a reminder in October so I don't forget!!!

Melissa
Farmgirl Sister #360

http://oldethymecountrybarn.blogspot.com/

Life isn't about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1628 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1628 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2009 :  7:24:04 PM  Show Profile
Sarah, This sounds like a great idea to do . Helping other people makes a person feel good and you don't even have to know them. Maybe if you have a women's group at church you could talk to them and get them started on it as a church endevor annually. We do something similar for the Women's shelter in our county. You might even talk to a local food pantry and see what might be done to help. Usually the churches around could tell you what families need the help.

suburban countrygirl at heart
Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1628 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1628 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2009 :  7:25:52 PM  Show Profile
Sarah, forgot to but my name at the end. got distracted. soory.
Laurie

suburban countrygirl at heart
Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2009 :  06:27:23 AM  Show Profile
Absolutely, Laurie. In fact, I when I was looking for more info on-line about this endeavor I ran across a fabric company that is putting together a group of ladies to sew aprons in participation with Tie One On Day. They are partnered up with a local bakery to supply the bread and all their "loaves & aprons" are being taken to a local womens shelter. So the possibilities for this concept are endless.

Farmgirl # 639
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2009 :  08:50:42 AM  Show Profile
I have a neighbor that just lost her husband. Very unexpectly. She is lost. She was a women who doesn't know how any thing works. The wood stove, what to do with the horses the dogs nothing She was just there to cook and clean. I think I will put a MJ mag in with the Bread might get here some Farm Girl Spirit.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2009 :  07:38:04 AM  Show Profile
Thought I'd bump this up since there seem to be so many farm girls on the forum this morning. Have a blessed day everyone!!

Hey, that was my 100th post!!!

Farmgirl # 639

Edited by - chaddsgirl on Jul 15 2009 07:40:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

GrammyGoose
True Blue Farmgirl

163 Posts

Sue
Liverpool PA
USA
163 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2009 :  07:58:29 AM  Show Profile
Okay, I'm game! This sounds like a wonderful tradition for the women in my family to start. I'll have to round up the troops and get them motivated too! Thanks for sharing the idea and encouraging us to participate!

Sue

Edited by - GrammyGoose on Jul 15 2009 07:59:14 AM
Go to Top of Page

Lynner
True Blue Farmgirl

225 Posts

Sheri
Missouri
USA
225 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  05:18:14 AM  Show Profile
Hey Everyone,
I told my granddaughters about this swap, ages 10 and 12, and they were very excited about it. What a great way to show someone that you are thinking of them. And a great way to get family involved

Many Hands Make Light Work!

...God made the seed to grow...1 Cor 3:6
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  09:40:10 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Sarah,
This is such a great idea. SO perfect for "Us" farmgirls. By November we will all want to be back in the kitchen and exploring "bread the MaryJane Way" again, (MaryJane gives easy instructions in her "Simply Bee issue and there is an awesome descussion thread.. here is the link: http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=28238.

I would also remind you that MJ offered us the cutiest apron pattern in her December Holiday issue of the Magazine that could be a great fit as well. Here is the link for that: http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/Recipes-Patterns-Instructions/holiday-apron-pattern.pdf The pattern is free and downloadable.Of course back issues can be purchased through the farm if you're missing those copies. Here is the link to that: http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/backissues.html

You can make the aprons "extra special" by using MaryJane's new fabrics sold at quilt shops.

I really support you in this Sarah, GREAT job. I look forward to coming back and reading about everyones experiences. Please post lots of pictures too.. (I am a visual girl). LOL If anyone is a chapter leader I think this would be a great group project as well.

So count me in~

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185

http://www.maryjanesfarm.com/RFBlog/
www.twitter.com/RuralFarmgirl

www.ruralandraw.blogspot.com

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)
Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  10:53:46 AM  Show Profile
Thank you so much Rene! And thanks to all of the wonderful farmgirls who have been so willing to participate!

Farmgirl # 639
Go to Top of Page

EllynAnne
True Blue Farmgirl

108 Posts

EllynAnne
Pueblo CO
108 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  11:13:40 AM  Show Profile
Hey! and thank y'all a million times over for embracing National Tie One On Day. It's a win-win, and the more who participate, the more who receive.

Exciting announcements to share regarding NTOOD 2009 - info will be posted on my website www.apronmemories.com

From my heart,
xxea

Tie One On...an apron, of course!
Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  12:33:34 PM  Show Profile
And thank you for posting such a great idea on your website! By the way, EllynAnne, did you get the link I sent you to the Pattern Bee where I found that embroidery pattern you were looking for? Hope you were able to order copies of that, I just love that pattern.

Farmgirl # 639
Go to Top of Page

mtngirljon
True Blue Farmgirl

539 Posts

Jonnie
Webster Texas
USA
539 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2009 :  2:08:50 PM  Show Profile
Mary Jane has fabric?? Is it on line some place?

Thanks!

Jonnie

"Never lose an opportunity of seeing anything that is beautiful. Welcome it in every face, in every skip, in every flower."

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2009 :  08:16:08 AM  Show Profile
just bumping this thread up to remind everyone and let the newest members take a look. We're still quite a ways from Thanksgiving, but I'm a planner. :) LOL!!

A person is a success if they get up in the morning and get to bed at night and in between does what they want to do. Bob Dylan
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2009 :  10:10:02 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
hello...thanks for the bump.....
I have too look around to find someone who could use an apron. It's wonderful idea!

Linda in Scranton, PA

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Tie One On - sign up and join the "movement" Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page