Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 What did you name your farm/ranch and why?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic What did you name your farm/ranch and why? Next Topic
Page: of 12

Dirtduchess
True Blue Farmgirl

692 Posts

Patsy
Decatur TX
USA
692 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2013 :  09:12:32 AM  Show Profile
Our ranch was purchased in 1905 by my husband's grandfather. He purchased this place because of the creek. He named the property Deep Creek Ranch because of the deep revine the water twisted and turned when flowing. It is spring fed. All kinds of critters drink and eat the vegetation around the creek. We are their protectors. Five generations of the family have lived on the ranch since the day it was purchased and raised fine beef cattle. This place is so pretty. We feel very lucky to be able to live and work here.

Patsy
Farmgirl 4678

Leave room in your garden for the fairies to dance.
Go to Top of Page

Brandy Patricia
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

Brandy
Sarasota Florida
USA
57 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2013 :  11:59:33 AM  Show Profile
Sandhill Ranch. The locals called the property my husband and I bought "the old sandhill". So we just kept that, really.

Go to Top of Page

lovecatsandsunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

237 Posts

Tara
Sands of Time SC
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2013 :  08:56:53 AM  Show Profile
Don't have a farm. But I named my property " Sandpiper Pointe". They are my favorite shore bird.

STYX the Band rocks!
Support your local organic farmer.www.localharvest.org
Monsanto you Stink!!
Go to Top of Page

ModernishHomemaker
True Blue Farmgirl

58 Posts

Amy
Colorado
USA
58 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2013 :  11:13:50 PM  Show Profile
I don't have a farm or property, but if I ever do I'm thinking probably "Orchard House" - even if it doesn't have fruit trees - because it's the name of the March's house in Little Women - and I've always so identified to varying degrees with all of those girls, especially Jo.

***---***---***---***---***---***---***---***---***---***---***---***---***---***
I'm just a 20-something girl making a home for me (and my dog) and waiting for the family to fill it!

---

modernishhomemaker.blogspot.com
---
outdooramy.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Dare2BUniquelyMe
Sharpshooter / Chapter Guru

143 Posts

Sherrilyn
Lake Tapps Washington
USA
143 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2013 :  8:55:12 PM  Show Profile  Send Dare2BUniquelyMe an AOL message
About two years ago, my young daughter and I bought this farm, or at least the remnants of one of the large farms in this area. It was over grown with blackberries and the barn was falling down. We spent a lot of time working to clear little bits and pieces in order to put in a garden, put up firewood for winter, and repair the barn for animals. During this time I thought about how this adventure was truly taking a walk on the wild side of life, so our farm became Wild Side Acres. We have since wrestle down most of the blackberry vines, repaired and reroofed the barn, and begun installing raised bed gardens (a person can only fight just so much rock). We invite all our friends a family to come take a walk on the wild side.

Sister #1350

Sherri
Go to Top of Page

Dapple Grey Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

725 Posts

Betty
Goodrich Texas
USA
725 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2013 :  06:43:49 AM  Show Profile
My husband named ours. It is called Lottadoe Farms and we have fun with it. He said it takes a lotta dough to have a lotta does. We have Nubian dairy goats. This is a new journey with us coming up on our two year anniversary for the goats on the farm. We also have pigs, chickens and turkeys. We had a lot of horses before this and downsized those as we don't ride anymore and only kept two. Still need to find a home for one more.

~ Betty ~
Go to Top of Page

Chatty Wren
True Blue Farmgirl

65 Posts

Diane
Phillipsburg NJ
USA
65 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2014 :  12:24:07 PM  Show Profile
We don't have a farm exactly, just a couple of acres, herb and vegetable gardens, dogs and lots of wildlife. We named our house 'Chatty Wren Cottage' because every spring we have wrens making nests everywere...on the porch, in the garage (if we leave the door open) and even in my hanging flower baskets. They are very noisy but we like their singing.

Blessings~Diane
http://abbyhannahvintage.com
Go to Top of Page

HodgeLodge
True Blue Farmgirl

662 Posts

Tiana
Berkeley Springs WV
USA
662 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2014 :  06:14:12 AM  Show Profile
We are trying to buy a small farm next year, my DH and i have talked about it many times, and want to call our place BLISS. It comes from a song and he thinks it would be perfect. Im with him.

Farmgirl #4817-The greatest gift of the garden is the restoration of the five senses. ~Hanna Rion

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Hodge-Lodge-Clothesline/285366378259342

Go to Top of Page

teckelhut
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Sussie
Deschutes Junction Oregon
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2014 :  7:55:04 PM  Show Profile
Our place is built on the old Whispering Pines Ranch homestead site that was subdivided into smaller parcels back in the 1960's. Part of my house is the old bunkhouse. My husband (R.I.P. ) decided to keep the name when he moved here. And it became Whispering Pines K-9's as he was raising and training security dogs at that time. When I married him, and moved on to the place, I drug along my Arabian horses and so we changed the name to Whispering Pines K-9's & Equines. Eventually we added llamas and donkeys to the mix so we changed the name to Whispering Pines Farm and it stayed that way for quite a while.

After my husband's disabilities got worse, we sold out the livestock as I could not take care of him and them and all the dogs at the same time. After our older dogs passed away, I just stuck with the one bred I have now which are Dachshunds. I show them and hunt with them.

In Germany a hunting dachshund is called a Teckel. I wanted to rename the farm Teckelhaus but that name was already taken. So I decided on Teckelhut as my house is actually quite small ("hut"). The name of the place stayed as Teckelhut Jagdhunde (Teckelhut Hunting Dogs) for a long time until I lost my husband.

Then I decided to start making this place back into the farm that it once was, raising chickens and rabbits and growing my own food and becoming as self supporting as possible. I still use the name Teckelhut Jagdhunde for dog business. But in the rabbit, chicken and goat world, I am known as Teckelhut Acres (I actually liked that better than the name of Teckelhut Farm).

Sussie of Teckelhut Acres
Heritage Chickens
Meat and Show Rabbits
Certified Naturally Raised
Certified Humane
Deschutes Junction, OR
Farm Sister #5781
Go to Top of Page

Dapple Grey Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

725 Posts

Betty
Goodrich Texas
USA
725 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2014 :  7:59:28 PM  Show Profile
Love reading about how we all came to name our farms.

~ Betty ~
Farmgirl Sister # 5589
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2204 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2204 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2014 :  11:04:15 AM  Show Profile
Someday, when we retire, we will live in the country. I told my husband that I want chickens for the eggs, and I'd love to foster dogs. I was thinking of calling it Happy Hen Farm or Daydream Farm. Just a few days ago I suggested Falling Leaf Farm to my husband, and he liked it. My maiden name is Listopad, which is Czech for "November" or falling leaves. My Listopad grandparents had a farm outside Park River, ND. The first thing you'd see as you turned onto their driveway is a quonset barn with "Listopad Farm" over the doors. It was sold years ago, but I still visit it in my memory (and on Google Earth!).

Doxie Mom - Everyone loves a Weiner!

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Go to Top of Page

LaLa
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Laura
Hickory North Carolina
USA
233 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2014 :  5:32:41 PM  Show Profile  Send LaLa a Yahoo! Message
I have always wondered how people came to name their homes / farms. Do you have to own it to name it? Is it similar to naming that special dish only Granny could bake properly (the Sourghum Rhubarb Lovely Pie??) Or it more like naming flowers... (Bea's Beautiful Rose?) I promise, I'm not poking fun here. I'm being totally serious. I considered naming our "household"... because I run an Etsy shop, we're gardening now, and I'd like some way to "brand" the whole kit-n-kaboodle. Especially once DH officially joins my business later on. I just don't understand the basics. Maybe someone could help explain the intrinsic details of naming a farm / item sold by farm / etc?

http://lalauland.tumblr.com
http://lalauland.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

smjlfn
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Sharon
Cornish Maine
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2014 :  08:59:22 AM  Show Profile
I haven't been here in awhile. I am glad to find this once again. We have lived here for four years now and couldn't come up with a name. This spring we went through some difficult situations. Through praying God whispered Shiloh. So we named our little farm Shiloh Acres. Shiloh means peace. God was trying to tell us to be at peace and rest in Him.:)
Sharon:)
Go to Top of Page

lovenshire
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

Lenora
Poplar Bluff Missouri
USA
6 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2014 :  6:57:26 PM  Show Profile
Whippoorwill bird ranch. Because I love to hear the birds singing in the evening.

Lenora
Go to Top of Page

Wendy Flower
Farmgirl in Training

39 Posts

Wendy
Gladstone ND
USA
39 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2014 :  8:39:03 PM  Show Profile
My sweetie named this farm White Raven Ranch because he is a scientist and the White Raven principle has to do with science only being as good as what we've discovered so far. As a child we named our farm in Oregon Tanager farm because the Tanager birds migrated through. I loved that farm, it's part of what led my heart to White Raven Ranch.

Wind Farmer & Seamstress.
Sister 4700
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2014 :  7:31:41 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by sherrye

... now that we are shut down and moving i will take my farm name with me....

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014

I've taken the farm name with me through four moves so far, and there is at least one more move in my future! I figure my "farm" is mostly in my heart, not the actual acreage.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com http://brightmeadowknits.blogspot.com

http://www.ravelry.com/people/Brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2014 :  7:36:18 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by rough start farmgirl

Where I grew up, a farm was a planted piece of land and a ranch was a piece of land that you ran livestock on. Is that just a "local" set of terms or do my sisters agree?

Good question!

Marianne

To me, a "ranch" has open ranges, cowboys on horses to round up the beef cattle, and is west of the Mississippi. I grew up in the Midwest and we raised beef cattle, chickens, vegetable gardens, soybeans, corn, wheat and even horses for 4-H on our "farm", but our beef cattle were in fenced pastures.

That is just what the words mean to me, you have the right to use the words anyway that you want!

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2014 :  04:34:32 AM  Show Profile
I live in a small house in Paris, TX but have borrowed a custom from the British of naming their cottages. I've chosen for my little piece of heaven on earth 'Little Eden'.

Walk in Peace.
Live with Joy.
Go to Top of Page

Missus Miranda
True Blue Farmgirl

285 Posts

Miranda
Thrall TX
USA
285 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2014 :  08:50:35 AM  Show Profile
Well, back when we first bought the house, we settled on Fair Hope, but it never seemed right. When we were on honeymoon last year, we came up with a simple, and much better name... Big Faith. "Faith" has been a big part of our relationship from day one. When I get upset and ask how we're going to do this or that, my husband always replies "Just have faith, honey". We have been through a lot in our relatively short time together, but we seem to make it through.

Hopefully, in the next year, we'll be growing this farm and USING it, since we haven't been able to, yet.

I'm getting roosters on Tuesday

"I'm not trying to be mean or cantankerous. I just wish people would do the right thing, and use a little common sense." ~ Farmgirl 3535
Thrall, TX

Go to Top of Page

DebHoard
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Deb

USA
3 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2014 :  10:03:17 PM  Show Profile  Send DebHoard a Yahoo! Message
Ours is unofficially named Whispering Hill Farm, because its on a hill over looking a harbor & the trees "whisper" all around us when the breeze is strong enough. Reminds me of the Moody Blues song, Tuesday Afternoon: Something,calls to me,The trees are drawing me near, I've got to find out why. Those gentle voices I hear
Explain it all with a sigh...

Take a deep breath, it'll be OK.
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2014 :  9:16:03 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Bushel n Peck

We named our little place the Bushel & Peck because of a song my Grandfather used to sing to me. I also envision bushels of veggies and berries along with my pecking hens!

This song is from the musical Guys and Dolls.

I love you, a bushel and a peck!
A bushel and a peck, and a hug around the neck!
A hug around the neck, and a barrel and a heap
A barrel and a heap, and I'm talkin' in my sleep.
About you.
About you!
About you!
My heart is leapin'!
I'm having trouble sleepin'!
'Cause I love you, a bushel and a peck
You bet your pretty neck I do!
Doodle, oodle, oodle.
Doodle, oodle, oodle.
Doodle oodle oodle oo.
I love you, a bushel and a peck
A bushel and a peck, go and beats me all to heck!
Beats me all to heck how I'll ever tend the farm
Ever tend the farm when I want to keep my
Arms - about you -
About you!
About you!
The cows and chickens
are goin' to the dickens!
'Cause I love you a bushel and a peck
You bet your pretty neck I do -

Doodle oodle oodle
Doodle oodle oodle
Doodle oodle oodle, oo!

my blog: http://bushelnpeck.blogspot.com

Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at the testing point.
C. S. Lewis

Thank you SO MUCH for posting this, my mom used to sing this song to me and I did not know all the lyrics. She has been gone for many years but I still think of her when I measure our harvest in bushels or pecks.

Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2348 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2348 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2014 :  05:47:15 AM  Show Profile
@Laura, 10 posts back, I don't think there is any logical rhyme or reason to naming a home/farm/ranch. It's an outward expression of how you feel about where you live. It's an identity you give to it. People are motivated to naming inanimate things...cars, trucks, boats, airplanes, even guitars. To your question of "do you have to own it to name it?" Nope. You can live in a rented apartment and still give a name to what is in your heart. By the way, I LOVE your etsy name of 'Lalauland'.

One Acre Farm is the name of my paradise. We've actually acquired 4 more adjacent acres but have kept the name. I am the queen of 'making do with what you have' and I have squeezed as much productivity off my original one acre as possible. We've bred, raised, sold and consumed hundreds of animals....laying hens, meat chickens, meat rabbits, show rabbits, dairy goats, meat goats, ducks, turkeys, quail, and pigs. The farm was also an educational farm. We held classes and workshops for homeschoolers, scouts and adults. We also had a traveling trailer that would present educational programs to schools.

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

EllaRow
True Blue Farmgirl

64 Posts

Chantelle
Nevis MN
USA
64 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2014 :  6:43:19 PM  Show Profile
We have about 5 acres through my Grandmother on a contract for deed. We have been adding things here and there, but it wasn't until this year that we started gardening on a level to sell produce at the local farmer's markets. We decided we should get a business name and I thought we could kill 2 birds with 1 stone so to speak and name our little farm/orchard. My nephew could not pronounce my first name when he was 3 so everyone on my husband's side of the family started calling me Tilly instead of Chantelle. It stuck. With that we came up with Tilly's Tiny Family Farm. I started a blog site to get the name out there and in January we will officially be a business as well as a farm. It also fits our little variety of stuff here too. We planted almost 30 fruit trees this Spring, got Silver Laced Wyandotte chickens, planted 4 times the gardens as usual, acquired used baling equipment to bale my uncle's fields, and have a plan for acquiring bees next Spring as well. It grows each year and I'm happy at the progress we've made. I started selling jams, jellies, and fruit butters at the farmer's market before the season ended and I had a lot of good reviews. They loved seeing Tilly's Tiny Family Farm on the labels I made and when they found out I was local and only use fruits we grow ourselves... they loved it even more!

Soaking in wisdom as the showers fall
https://www.facebook.com/CavemanWoodworkingAndCrafts
https://www.facebook.com/RowlandComputersPlus

Edited by - EllaRow on Oct 02 2014 6:45:23 PM
Go to Top of Page

AmaryllisFarmSanctuary
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Christine
Southampton NY
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2014 :  2:52:09 PM  Show Profile
Amaryllis Farm is named after the movie "The Eyes of the Amaryllis". The Amaryllis was a ship. Souls continue on.

<font color="blue">AmaryllisFarm.com</font id="blue">
Go to Top of Page

Goat Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

51 Posts

Katherine
Lunenburg Vermont
USA
51 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2015 :  05:39:21 AM  Show Profile
My little farm is named "Capricorn Caprines". Hoping to be raising goats soon, starting with 5, plus other critters.

Vermont Goat Girl
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic What did you name your farm/ranch and why? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page