Amy Warwick
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

Amy
Oakesdale WA
USA
102 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  2:08:41 PM  Show Profile
Can anyone tell me how to store my lettuce from my garden? I thought about buying those green bags, but it seems to me to just be more plastic which I have sworn my family away from. Right now I have it in a paper bag, but that does not help either. I garner about a paper bag every two days, so that is too big for a Ziplock (again plastic!), and cannot eat it that fast.

Thanks ladies!

Amy

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it ~Aristotle

please visit www.amywarwick.com.

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  2:21:47 PM  Show Profile
Do you have a glass bowl with a lid? This is what I do for mine (I try not to use plastic either) Wash the lettuce and let sit in a collander to dry off a little, then place a few paper towles in the bottom of your container, set the lettuce on top of the paper towles and then cover bowl with lid. Like I said I try not to use plastic containers if I can help it but in this case I use plastic. It seems to give the seal it needs. My lettuce has lasted up to 3 weeks this way. I do know there are glass bowls with plastic lids and might be an option for you.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
Farmgirl Sisterhood #639 MO
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  2:21:53 PM  Show Profile
I know the green bags are plastic, but they sure do work well. My mom bought me a box of the Bread Bags (same concept and company) for Christmas, and I've been re-using them weekly until they are all used up. 10 bags lasted 6 months. That's not too bad I don't think. I re-use and recycle everything. But if you don't want to use the bags, I found one of those round, washable lettuce keepers really extends the fridge life of my lettuce.

A person is a success if they get up in the morning and get to bed at night and in between does what they want to do. Bob Dylan
Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  4:49:32 PM  Show Profile
i know it's plastic, but i use Tupperwear "Fridge Smart." are you trying to stay away from plastic that you will throw away often or any plastic? this thing works very well, it's like a huge plastic container with 2 holes. depending on what type of fruit or veggie you put in it, you will open up 0,1, or 2 holes.

"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and just be happy."
-Guillaume Apollinaire
Go to Top of Page

Amy Warwick
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

Amy
Oakesdale WA
USA
102 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2009 :  06:28:20 AM  Show Profile
Thank you ladies. I knew there had to be something better than the paper bag.

Best to you all!

Amy

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it ~Aristotle

please visit www.amywarwick.com.
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic lettuce chat Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page