Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Reading Room
 WHAT is so wonderful about Anne of Green Gables.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic WHAT is so wonderful about Anne of Green Gables. Next Topic
Page: of 2

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  10:45:45 AM  Show Profile
I KNOW, I would like to read them too. But I was just wondering WHAT is so wonderful about these books. I know about the Little House series it is about the homesteading, the bond between ma, pa and the girls etc.

But WHY is the Anne series also a wonderful series to read. Is it maybe because they also have something like the Little House books, i.e. family ties etc? I have never read them, (won't be able to either) and never saw them. I have read some on the net about the books and they SEEm to be a lovely read. But am just interested in y'alls opinions, lol
( Just also to make me more jealous please, lol)

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Almost daily updates on me and mine :)

Cabinprincess
True Blue Farmgirl

682 Posts

Melody June
Athens TX
USA
682 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  11:24:11 AM  Show Profile
Hi Marian, why can't you read them??
Smiles, Melody June

God's gift to you are your talents, your gift to Him is how you use them.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  11:52:11 AM  Show Profile
I will be glad to find you the books Dutchy..just say the word..they are well worth the read!!
I love them because it shows a girl with spunk and grit and determination..who, through adoption (in a time when it wasn't a common way to make a family) finds the family life of her dreams. You just come to love her quiet sweet Matthew and her cranky controlling Marilla so much..even her silly gossipy catty neighbor. I could read them over and over! Anne has SO much imagination and life in her...she is unsinkable!!
Let me know..I will look for them for you if you want!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  11:58:05 AM  Show Profile
What Jenny said, and more...the books span a lifetime, from the time she is adopted to the time she leaves for the ladies college to begin her life as a young woman. She is so determined, and sooooo over-the-top dramatic (it makes you laugh out loud, seriously!) and the characters are just heaven sent. All of them. I've never cried so much or laughed so much in a book. There's lighthearted romance, antics, drama and so many wonderful things all wrapped up in each book. I absolutely can't wait for Violet to be able to read them.

Whenever I make homemade blackberry cordial, I am taken back to a bit of the book which STILL leaves me laughing hysterically.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  12:07:21 PM  Show Profile
I can't add much to the testimonials from Jonni and Jenny. Great stories, and the writing is of much higher quality than other books written for young girls at the time. Many references to the great 19th century English poets, which made my high school literature classes much more interesting: it was like getting the full story on famous works that I had already sampled.

And why won't you be able to read them? If Jenny can't find you some copies, I'll be glad to track them down for you also. I know the books were published in Dutch when they first came out, so you might find some used copies even if they are no longer in print in the Netherlands.

Have you seen the miniseries from the early 1990s? Not quite the same as the books, but great in its own way. You might be able to get that more easily than the books.
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  12:13:33 PM  Show Profile
I remember seeing one movie. I even think it was on Dutch tv once, years ago. A Christmas movie if I am correct. The reason they are not here?? NO idea. I don't know anyone who has read them. And as much as I appreciate the offer to look for them in the USA, I just can't afford them anyway, not right now. maybe some day, in the far future, lol.
AND I prefer to read them in English anyways.

Thanks for the info gals :)

Thanks

My personal blog:

Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
Farmgirl Sisterhood #639 MO
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  12:44:57 PM  Show Profile
The books are absolutely wonderful. I loved everything that Lucy Maude Montgomery wrote. I especially loved the books about Anne's life after she married and had children. Rainbow Valley and Rill of Ingleside. Fantastic reading. I've probably read these book about a 100 times.

Marian, I would be happy to send them to you if you would like to read them.

A person is a success if they get up in the morning and get to bed at night and in between does what they want to do. Bob Dylan
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  1:07:13 PM  Show Profile
Sarah, if you don't have a full extra set, I can chip in too! I would love to help indoctrinate a new Anne reader.
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  1:17:19 PM  Show Profile
Gals, Thank you all so much for the offer of lending me the books! ONE day I might take you up on the offer. But at the moment I just can't afford to send a large package back. But y'all are too kind and too sweet :)

My personal blog:

Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  2:11:21 PM  Show Profile
Is it really that expensive to ship things to the Netherlands? I haven't really researched it, so I have no idea what the cost would be. That is tremendously unfortunate. Maybe if I sent them to you one at a time......LOL!! I'd do it!

A person is a success if they get up in the morning and get to bed at night and in between does what they want to do. Bob Dylan
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  3:14:23 PM  Show Profile
Me too...you may just start getting books in the mail girl!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  4:35:30 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Gota love Anne of Green Gables! I was a little sad after Rilla of Ingleside though, because it was the last book of the series.
Maggie
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  5:05:34 PM  Show Profile
maybe one at time is doable for me, lol. Returning them that way I mean :)

My personal blog:

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  9:41:47 PM  Show Profile
I will see about looking for paperback versions that you wouldn't have to return. I know I have at least one or two around here and they are fairly easy to find. I really want you to have the chance to read them..they are awesome!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2009 :  06:55:36 AM  Show Profile
I think I've got the whole set in paperback. I will check and see what all I've got and report back. LOL!!

Go to Top of Page

Lynner
True Blue Farmgirl

225 Posts

Sheri
Missouri
USA
225 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2009 :  07:41:34 AM  Show Profile
Though I have not read the books, I have watched the movies over and over again, for about 20 years. Wow, that is dating me, ick! Wonderful story about an orphan girl, that nobody seems to want. Love the culture, and the dress of the era.
Anne with an E. What a wonderful trip back into time. When nothing was simple.
Sheri

Many Hands Make Light Work!

...God made the seed to grow...1 Cor 3:6

The best fertilizer for a farm, are the farmers footsteps...
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2009 :  08:01:44 AM  Show Profile
I have been searching for the dvd I have, but can't find it yet, lol. WILL keep looking. I KNOW it was a Christmas movie, and I am almost positive it was by L.M.Montgomery :) When I have found it I will let ya know. Thanks gals for ALL the help, much (very very much) appreciated :) :)

I HAVE FOUND IT!! It is called:
Wind at my Back, Christmas movie!!
I remember that I bought it in the USA on a clearance sale, YAY!! And I liked the cover, seemed like a great movie and if I remember correctly I only payed a dollar, lol. That is why i bought it because I didn't even know if i could play it on my dvd player (we have a different video system here, but dvd's are universal)
Will HAVE to watch it again come Christmas

My personal blog:

Edited by - dutchy on Jul 29 2009 08:13:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2009 :  11:35:13 AM  Show Profile
I grew up reading the Anne of Green Gavbles books and also the Emily books by L.M.Montgomery, they are so wonderful and I reread them every few years, my favorite way to pass the afternoon when I'm feeling lousy, snuggle up with a kitty or too and a great book. I'll keep my eye peeled at the used bokstore for L.M. Montgomery books too...

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

moxieblossom
True Blue Farmgirl

121 Posts

USA
121 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2009 :  11:47:05 AM  Show Profile
Oh where to start with Anne of Green Gables! I read the first one when I was a little girl and got hooked. A few years ago I got the opportunity to visit PEI and Green Gables and it was like a dream come true. I love Anne's imagination, her passion for reading and theatre, the "scrapes" she gets herself into, and her ability to overcome incredibly difficult situations.

And it's not just Anne... the quality of all the characters that L.M. Montgomery created is fantastic. Who hasn't known an overbearing busybody like Mrs. Lynde, or a no-nonsense, straight-laced personality like Marilla? The characters don't always stay the same, they're dynamic and you see their personalities & situations change through life. Plus she created an immersive world where you, as the reader, could FEEL Avonlea coming right through the pages.

All in all, it's just good, wholesome, quality reading, and timeless stories and characters. Like life, it contains love, laughter, tragedy, tears, ups and downs. It's down-to-earth, but definitely higher-quality than most writing these days. :)

Okay, my very enthusiastic jabbering is over. ;)

Farmgirl #242
http://vintage-moxie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2009 :  11:28:41 AM  Show Profile
Marian, I have no idea how long it will take to get there, but I am sending you the first book in the series, Anne Of Green Gables. Let me know when you're ready for the next one and I'll send that one along. :) Hope you enjoy them as much as the rest of us have.

Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2009 :  11:39:29 AM  Show Profile
OH Sarah, you're the best! Thank you SO much!! Will let y'all know if I like them as much as y'all :)

My personal blog:

Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2009 :  04:25:09 AM  Show Profile
SARAH !! I received the 2 books today YAY!! So it took about a week, not bad eh, lol.
Will start reading today, finished the mail route and the weather is gorgeous. Gonna sit outside and enjoy book 1. Will let y'all know what I think about it. I peeked and think I am gonna LOVE it too, yippee

My personal blog:

Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2009 :  08:31:14 AM  Show Profile
Sarah:
How kind of you!
Dutchy, I loved the Annie books, as I refer to them. I know you will also. Happy reading.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2009 :  09:12:18 AM  Show Profile
SO FAR SO GOOD !! I have started yesterday and think it is cute and fun and indeed, worth reading!!!!YAY!!!!!!

My personal blog:

Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2009 :  10:35:34 AM  Show Profile
Yeah!!! I'm so glad you like them!! The more you read, the more you will want to read. They just suck you in. LOL!!!

Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2009 :  11:13:25 AM  Show Profile
I just LOVE the book, really! I now understand y'all, lol

My personal blog:

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Reading Room: Previous Topic WHAT is so wonderful about Anne of Green Gables. Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page