Printer Friendly
Author Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Farming Summer Camp Next Topic  

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2006 :  09:10:05 AM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
I was talking to a friend of mine the other day and she had heard of a place where kids can go in the summer when they are out of school instead of the typical daycare set up it is a working farm where the daily activities include farming and animal care. Has anyone had any experience with this? I really am not happy at work and am a;lready going to open my own store but that will be on weekends for now. I still need my paycheck to survive and cannot quit yet. This last week at work has been the worst. I used to love my job but have had so many projects dumped on me and I am tired of working so hard to do anothers work. Anyway, I heard about this farm daycare idea and thought wow how cool. I taught pre-school and Kindergarten for 20 years then became a stay at home mom but now we need the income so I got a job as an administrative assistant. So for me to do the farm daycare would be great. But then I am thinking there are insurance issues etc, but if I only start with a couple kids it should be ok. so what do you think? I can hire my daughter as an aide(she's 17) and then I can have my younger two boys as students (9 and 4) my 15 yr old son is usually at football all summer.

blessings
beth

Dreaming of Friday Night Lights

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2006 :  09:52:02 AM  Show Profile
I think it sounds like a great idea, personally; however, the reality of it is there would be huge liability issues with children involved. I would definately do some research and check all of the state rules and insurance rules. Stuff "happens" on farms, and those of us that are used to this, roll with it; but those that are not familiar freak, ya know? Maybe a disclaimer, waiver would be sufficient. Yep, legal council, state research and insurance would be at the top of the list of "to dos".

Humor is the prelude to faith and Laughter is the beginning of prayer. -- Reinhold Niebuhr

http://farmstyle.blogspot.com

Edited by - Clare on Feb 26 2006 09:55:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2006 :  09:52:14 AM  Show Profile
Hi Beth, I have heard about those farms and I think it's probably different for every state. Im not really educated on this topic but if it were me I would start checking out my local & state govt. When a person goes horseback riding you have to sign a form saying the farm IS NOT responsible for any injuries but with kids..... don't know. Go to your state web-page & start looking or make calls to your county & they should put you in touch w/ the right people. Good luck w/ it. Michele

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2006 :  09:52:58 AM  Show Profile
That sounds like such a great place for kids to be after school - I'm sure you'd be great at it! I don't know anything about the insurance requirements, however. I'd be sure to check them out - my guess is that they'd be similar to a day care's, but I' just don't know. Utah has an Office of Child Care (I think that's what it's called) under the Department of Workforce Services, and a similar entity in MN might be able to help with letting you know the requirements...

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2006 :  09:53:18 AM  Show Profile
Hi Clare, good advice as usual. miss you on here!! michele

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2006 :  10:21:05 AM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
I like the idea about the disclainer, my sis in law is a legal assistant and will see if she could write something with legalese. What a grand adventure to grow and til and work in the dirt with children all summer, my farm would truely be Bliss N Blossom! Just uncovered a large chest freezer in the basement that I hope to fill with garden goodies. I see sewing class and canning class, oh and what a fun way to identify bugs! Would go light on the animals first year, maybe some duckings, I've done that before and loved them til they flew away in the fall and we never saw them again! And then of course a little lamb would be soooo cute- frannie i might even get some doll hair!!!
So first and foremost I will check with the county and state to see what I can do.

blessings
beth

Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2006 :  12:53:39 PM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
[URL=http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f149/blissnblossomfarm/101_0841.jpg][/URL]

My two youngest reasons to work at home! Sean is 9 Quin is 4.

[URL=http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f149/blissnblossomfarm/101_0847.jpg][/URL]

The dairy barn soon to be store!

blessings
beth

Go to Top of Page

garliclady
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Reidsville NC
274 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2006 :  2:41:42 PM  Show Profile
Beth
Looks like we have something in common I taught 19years and then became a stay at home mom and farmer. !
I love it .
I think the farm daycare sounds great! If you have a Agrotourism Dept in your state they would know the Legalities of having school children on your propety and could help guide you. Agrotourism is big in our state lots of School groups come to farms to pick pumpkins , pick fruit, take hayrides, milk cows, take hayrides etc. as well as lots of Corn mazes. If you decide to not to do daycamp these tours /pick your own farms give you a chance to teach and stay at home with you kids and enjoy the farm life.
The garlic lady

Cornerstone Garlic Farm http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&ext=1&groupid=140532&ck=
My Recipes http://recipecircus.com/recipes/garliclady/
Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Farming Summer Camp Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page