forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2009 :  6:45:15 PM  Show Profile
We need a little help here. My DH and I are foster parents to 2 rabbits. I believe they are dutch. Don't know how old. Maybe about 2 or 3 years. We have had them since mid June. Male and Female. In separate cages outdoors. They really have pretty nice hutches. I work during the day, but DH is home. They have water all the time and rabbit feed. We give them treats probably every day. A few bits of clover, spinach, carrots, romaine lettuce. (just a bit) This week they have little bits of fur in their cages. The male seems to have fur standing up on his back like it's been ruffled, and the female just has a nest in the corner. Is this normal. Are we missing something in their diet? Are they stressed. They are up off the ground, so nothing can get at them. And we live in the country. I don't really know anything about rabbits, but I would feel awful if anything happened to Betty and Bob.

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2009 :  6:53:26 PM  Show Profile
Personally I would give them LOTS of green matter! Check with your local grocery store to see if they will sell you old lettuce, spinach and etc for cheap. Some will even give it away. Rabbits really need this kind of diet. When we had rabbits we supplemented with pellets and gave veggies as a main source of the diet.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2009 :  9:34:55 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Hi Judith, It sounds like there just shedding. Our rabbits are doing that to right now. So don't worry. We also give our bunnies treats at night too. Lots of greens and an apple or banana too. And on the weekends we give them the old fashion rolled oats. And they always have water and rabbit feed at all times. Right now I would just brush them lots because they can get hair balls really easy. One of our bunnies got a hair ball ( we olny had them for about a year then) and almost did not make it. I don't want to scare you but just a warning. Just brush them 1 to 2 times a day. Hope this helps.
Maggie
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2009 :  08:06:06 AM  Show Profile
Thank you, so much! I'll follow your suggestions beginning n o w!

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2009 :  08:24:21 AM  Show Profile
Rabbits will get furballs just like cats, grooming and removeal of shedding hair is very importent. A fur nest in the corner, your doe might also be having a false pregnacy, or they were together and she is pregnant, to be on the safe side put a box in with straw, shredded paper or shavings, ( pine not cedar).

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Tapestry
True Blue Farmgirl

1223 Posts

Cheryl
Wisconsin
USA
1223 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2009 :  12:50:46 PM  Show Profile  Send Tapestry a Yahoo! Message
I was thinking the same thing as Teresa. Usually if a rabbit starts having hair puffs show up its cuz they're building a nest. Maybe she's in estrus and just is wanting to be a mommy bunny.

Happy farmgirl sister #353

Look for rainbows instead of mud puddles

http://www.Tapestry2u.Etsy.com

http://tapestrysimaginings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2009 :  2:14:46 PM  Show Profile
I wondered about the estrus thing, Cheryl. They have been apart so long though. And they are both making piles. I bought some lettuce and parsley just for them. They love the lettuce, and I don't think they like the parsley. Oh well, I'll just dry the rest. I bought a brush. I'm trying to get them used to it. let them sniff it a little.

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2009 :  3:37:21 PM  Show Profile
Hi Judith
Sounds like you are being a great caregiver to your sweet one's. After raising rabbits for some 20 years I might suggest that you not give too much if any lettuce and stick with more along the lines of hay, grass, alfalfa, carrot tops and bottoms. The problem with lettuce is it can set up what is known as wet tail and also if they are experiencing some far blockage it will make it worse. I raised all the Angora rabbit breeds, lops and also a few flemish giants and one thing I understand is the right diet is key. Next I would give dried papaya that is the best natural way to keep hairballs at bay. Then if you are sure that they have not been together then I would say she is having a false litter and the issue with that is you need to watch closely that she does not become ill. Sometimes the body gives the signal of a grown group of little one's when it is a growning turmor. So also if there is a chance she might have gotten with the male then also check to see if she builds a better nest by pulling her hair from her tummy and also is she becomes a bit aggressive - either way watch closely so you wont miss her having little one's or that she might be ill instead.

Good luck and keep us posted - rabbits are such sweet additions to our lives.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2009 :  7:23:27 PM  Show Profile
okay, so now the lettuce will be salad. They do love carrots. We have been giving them these little treats that look like little bales of hay. (does that sound okay?) The male is the more aggressive one, and shy also. Oh, such a responsibility. But, we will keep an eye on them. I'd like to hold them. Like I said we are taking care of them for someone else, maybe forever. I'm really kind of nervous. I'm more used to the wild animals.

Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2009 :  7:27:31 PM  Show Profile
by the way, they didn't know what to do with the banana pieces. Just kind of rolled them around, and left them alone.

Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2009 :  8:49:41 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Thats funny Judith about the banana pieces.My rabbits just love them! Hope they get better soon!
Maggie
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2009 :  09:05:15 AM  Show Profile
Maggie, I'm going to try again with the banana. Maybe smaller pieces. I think they've never seen a banana before.

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2009 :  10:03:36 AM  Show Profile
Here a trick that really works - freeze the banana or pear till it is not completely all the way frozen and that way if they are having an issue with the texture this will solve it. I also during the summer months would put water into a plastic pop bottle, freeze it and I would put one in the cage each morning while feeding. It was a great way to keep them cool, give them a buddy in the cage and also if the males wanted they could work out their aggression on the bottle and not others or me. Each morning they would get a new one - so that meant with all the rabbit we raised a ton of pop bottles in my spare freezer - but that was only for a couple of months and it really was worth it - we never lost a rabbit to heat stroke.

As for the little bale of hay that is great but I know they are really expensive. I do not know how close you are to a feed store but if it is not too far you might ask them if you could sweep up their hay that falls on in their barns and you would be set possibly with free food. I would let them know that you are being a kind soul and being a foster parent - also there are plenty of farms that might let you gleam some hay or take a walk with a good pair of shears in a forest or plains and bring home bags full of winter feed. Just a thought. Enjoy and give those sweet ones a hug from this farmgal bunny lover.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2009 :  11:12:41 AM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
You gals have some really good advice. Max (my bunny) will just love some of these ideas. He is so spolied. But he's a sweetheart so he's easy to spoil. Right now he's taking in his newest present. I was cleaning house the other day and found my little (3 inch in diam) round fan. Now it's Max's. Have it aimed down into his cage. Even though he's a papmered inside bunny our home still gets pretty warm being a mobile home and the a/c can't keep up.

Melanie

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, She's up!"

Blog~ http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/

Swap Blog~ http://mels-swapshop.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

homsteddinmom
True Blue Farmgirl

441 Posts

Brandee
bullard tx
USA
441 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2009 :  07:25:49 AM  Show Profile  Send homsteddinmom a Yahoo! Message
Yes they are shedding, they are getting rid of there summer down to replace it with there winter down. My dutch are like big piles of fur right now. I also raise rabbits and there is fur flying everywhere from all breeds...lol

Homesteading Mom in East Texas. Raising chickens, Rabbits and goats here on my farm!
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2009 :  08:07:29 AM  Show Profile
Hi, Brandee. I finally came to the conclusion too that they are shedding. Also, friends gave us carrots and turnips from the garden. Boy, do Bob & Betty love those greens! Then, an answer to what other greens to feed them was right under my nose or feet. I've been pulling grass (a mixture) right from our yard. they love it! Nothing is sprayed at our house. They chow down, and seem more content. Thanks, everyone.

Go to Top of Page

homsteddinmom
True Blue Farmgirl

441 Posts

Brandee
bullard tx
USA
441 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2009 :  08:22:13 AM  Show Profile  Send homsteddinmom a Yahoo! Message
Yes my buns LOVE grass~ We let some of the grass grow instead of mowing it then we pull it and feed it to them! They love cucumbers too! I have had a few that were just a little sour so i cut them up and feed it to them. Now i also feed mine ALfalfa cubes. They are sold for horses but they are great for Rabbits as it gives them something to Chew on and is good for them in moderation!

Homesteading Mom in East Texas. Raising chickens, Rabbits and goats here on my farm!
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Bunny fuzz? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page