Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Cleaning Up
 When you have a lot to do...routine?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic When you have a lot to do...routine? Next Topic  

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2009 :  09:06:04 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
When you have a lot to get done in a day, do you have a routine you follow? Or do you just attack the chores pell-mell and work until it all gets done?

I usually tend to fixate on one room and attack it until it surrenders in submission . I usually start on the bathroom since it is a little room so I get some instant gratification of seeing it improve. Plus it is one of those rooms you are in and out of all day long so it's nice to have it be sparkly. It keeps my energy up for working on the rest of the house.

I also try to keep the washer and dryer running all day if laundry is on the to do list (when isn't it?!). After that I usually work on the kitchen or the living room.

What about you?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13577 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13577 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2009 :  09:28:40 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
I make a list of what I have to do, prioritized from top of the list down, cross them off as I do them.
However, I tend to either tackle one room at a time or one "job" at a time.

Making the list helps me know that if I don't get to ALL tasks at least I got to the most important ones . . from the top down.
CJ

...from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665
Go to Top of Page

lovelady
True Blue Farmgirl

533 Posts

Toni
Indiana
USA
533 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2009 :  10:26:58 AM  Show Profile
I wish I could say that I was organized and prioritized, but really, I tend to jump from room to room. I always start in the kitchen because I can't stand looking in there and seeing a mess. I have a lot of counter space, so it is too easy to just throw stuff up on the counter and let it sit. But then when I go to put those things away where they belong, I see stuff in that room that needs done, so I do a couple things there, then go back to the kitchen, and so on. My kitchen, living room and bathroom all tend to stay about the same. I guess they are my priorities because that is where we spend all our time. I have accepted that the playroom will always look like a war zone, except for the five or six minutes after I vacuum. I don't even want to think about our upstairs. Ugh. Only our bedrooms are up there, so I rarely get that completely picked up since no on e but us should be up there. There is always laundry to be put away upstairs, just staring at me and laughing every time I go by.

I do tend to make lists of all the things I need to do, even small easy things, just because it feels good to look at it and cross things off. Though it also makes me feel guilty when I don't get anything crossed off for a day or two. But sometimes, my husband sees my list, and realizes that he can do some of those things, too, so more gets done. Those are good days!
Go to Top of Page

lovelady
True Blue Farmgirl

533 Posts

Toni
Indiana
USA
533 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2009 :  10:30:39 AM  Show Profile
I have thought about making a chore list for myself and hanging it in my kitchen so that I remember to do some of the little things I tend to put off. And to make certain days for certain chores, like Monday being laundry day, Tuesdays for bathrooms, etc. Anyone have scheduled days like that? I remember embroidering dish towels with "Wash Day" "Baking Day" and little pictures of it when I was a kid. Maybe I should do that again...
Go to Top of Page

Firemama
True Blue Farmgirl

1731 Posts

Amanda
Medical Lake WA
USA
1731 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2009 :  10:34:45 AM  Show Profile  Send Firemama a Yahoo! Message
I make a list and then BEG hubby to take the dishes , the rest of the house isnt so bad, but dishes! I freakin hate them. The laundry gets folded at night by all of us, kids included. Their rooms, their problem. I do make them clean it on Sundays. The kitchen always needs a good tidying and our room, well no one needs to see that ;) Bathroom thats upstairs gets picked up by me. Poop duty goes to the kids.I only wash laundry once a week, if it takes all day so be it, our washer is TOO loud to go everyda,lol.So basically I am a dictator who delegates, nice huh?

Mama to 2
FarmGirl# 20

People can only make you feel inferior with your permission, and you dont have my permission......

Dont let the chain of love end with you.....

http://myfarmdreams.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2009 :  11:33:02 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Amanda I am looking forward to the day when I can dictate chores! LOL

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2009 :  12:04:07 PM  Show Profile
I stopped long ago making lists unless they were urgent things that mustn't be forgotten. For me, the list at the end of the day screamed things that didn't get accomplished. Type A? Maybe, but it's easier for me to see what I've accomplished than to stare at a list at the end of each day that isn't complete. And let's face it, most of us can not possibly accomplish every single thing that needs to be done. Geez, I could make lists for my lists!!
I have a morning routine of "critter care" and then in the house for "lobotomy chores"...start laundry, make beds, do bathroom, living room and finally the kitchen. Once the kitchen floor is swept and clean I am done inside. If I move it and don't take coffee breaks (like I'm doing right now!), I can usually get most inside stuff done in an hour or two unless it's dusting and vacuuming day.

Di on VI
Farmgirl Sister #73
Go to Top of Page

Farmgirl Barb
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Barbara
Chesterfield sc
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2009 :  12:08:23 PM  Show Profile
When I can't stand the mess anymore, I start with one room and work my way in a circle around the house, keeping the laundry going the whole time. Normally, though, I just have a list of everyday chores that have to be done. I'm a big list person... it's the only way I can remember anything.

Barb J.

www.victoriahillfarm.com
An Urban Homestead
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2009 :  12:51:17 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Isn't it interesting seeing how we all have different ways of doing the same things?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2009 :  9:35:41 PM  Show Profile
Oh, Alee, I knew it was you who asked this question. LOL I have NO routine. Never. Only when my Sweetie says something like, "Oh, the rug in the den has things on it", or "I'll help you change the linen on the bed if you want," do I do it. I hate house break-backing-dirty-take me away from being outside or take me away from working on the piano- work. However, I have made at least twenty different lists to help me organize that crap. I'll print out one of the list, then do one thing, scratch it off (that is the most favorite part for me, scratching off the list). Alee, it really pains me to have to do this crap. Excuse my French!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can do it. I can get it done. But, I am not a happy person while doing it. LOL
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2009 :  08:34:50 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Marly- You must be related to my husband. Sheesh! You would think he was a spring bear with a toothache the way his mood drops when he has to help out around the house! He isn't grumpy exactly, just very not happy! LOL
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2009 :  8:06:38 PM  Show Profile
Alee:
I don't blame your hubby dropping the mood over house cleaning. LOL
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
Farmgirl Sisterhood #639 MO
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2009 :  08:18:03 AM  Show Profile
It seems to me like I spend the majority of my time cleaning my kitchen over and over and over and over.............

A person is a success if they get up in the morning and get to bed at night and in between does what they want to do. Bob Dylan
Go to Top of Page

simplyflowers
True Blue Farmgirl

489 Posts

Jamie
Locust Grove Virginia
USA
489 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2009 :  5:28:37 PM  Show Profile
Sarah....I agree. I AM ALWAYS CLEANING THAT KITCHEN!!! OVER AND OVER AGAIN! I, like Alee, always throw laundry in first. At least if I get it washed and dried during the day.....DH and I can fold while he watch TV at night and chitchat.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." -- Thomas Edison

Check out my blog!! http://thehappycalamity.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

JoyIowa
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Joy

273 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2009 :  4:09:28 PM  Show Profile
If I only have a short amount of time (Like 20 minutes) I do the following in order:

Kitchen: Scrub the sink, wipe down the stove, stack hand wash dishes on counter
Dining Room: Declutter the table
Living Room: Pick up floor (It seems hubby's books, mags, etc. are always laying by that dratted ratty recliner he refuses to give up
Bathroom: Swish toilet, scrub sink, hang fresh towels
Bedroom: Make bed

If I have an extra 10 minutes I quick swiffer the floors.

I find doing these things every other day, presents a presentable house for the most part. I came up with this by paying attention to what friends apologized for when I came over - -most things I hadn't even noticed, nor would I have had they not brought it to my attention. As for a laundry basket full of clothes sitting seemingly perpetually in the living room -- I'm tempted to find an electric votive fake candle, plant it in the middle of the pile and call it our new mood lamp!!!! Very BIG Grin!

Have fun!

If it's not illegal, unsafe, or immoral, why not try anything once? Who knows? You may come back for a second helping!
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic When you have a lot to do...routine? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page