Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic
Page: of 669

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2011 :  05:07:38 AM  Show Profile
Mornin Porchies! I want to say that I've been checkin in daily to keep up with you all and keep my prayer lists updated. Everyone has been so busy.

I've been dealin with a lot of things around the homefront, but most of them aren't the happy talkin kind of subjects. I would like to ask you Ladies to keep my DH in your prayers. He has lost his job due to cutbacks and has hurt his neck really bad workin on his outside cleanup projects.

They have him on steroids and pain meds, but this has been a problem for him for about 20 years now. He is hopin to get a job with his buddy workin as a heavy equipment operator. It has pretty good pay and pretty good insurance.

His buddy had back surgery for the same thing that's wrong with his neck durin the winter layoff. The boss had him do it that way so he could draw short term disability instead of unemployment since it pays better. His buddy is pushin the boss to hire him so we can set up the same thing for this comin winter.

HAPPIER TOPIC: I have harvested all my lettuces I was growin in my livin room greenhouse. It was surprisinly sweet and delicate. The girls really enjoyed it. The carrots are growin to slowly for us, so I'm gonna let the girls have baby carrots with dinner tonight, cause I need the space to start my peppers! We have decided to let the beets go for a while longer since they are still marble sized. The girls love beet greens for their salads and there isn't enough of those to do more than one salad round for the 3 of them.

My DH reworked my seed trays and has gotten me enough space for 200 starts by collectin those seed pots that greenhouses use instead of my collection of 4-6 inch round pots. He has had everyone in the family and everyone he knew keep the ones they bought last year and he went around and collected them for me. I have weeded out the cracked or really small ones and have enough to make up about 12 flats of plants. That will cover everything I need if I start some of the more delicate plants in the old pots so they can grow out a little longer.

Two years ago I spent over $1000 on plants for our 5000 square foot garden and 4 raised beds. Last year I spent $100 on seed and about $400 on plants. This year I have spent about $500 on seed and should have enough for 2-3 years of plantin. I am addin at least 2 raised beds this year for asparagus, which my grandpa is gonna come help me put together. He has a huge bed of asparagus that is his pride and joy and has been growin for about 30 years now!

I'm tryin to focus on my gardens and plantin to keep from goin nuts over everything else goin bad. I have even stumbled accross a woman who wants the old greenhouse on her property took down and hauled off. My DH and a couple of his buddys are gonna go take a look at it this evenin and see if it can be moved over here. If all goes well I might have a real outdoor green house! She said all the fixtures and the heater goes with it! I'm so excited to go see it. I could really do some growin and cannin if I had my own outside greenhouse. The girls want me to keep the inside one goin for lettuces durin the summer heat and winter cold, so I probably will.

I guess I better get my behind in gear. I have 7 trays filled with pottin soil waitin for seeds. I'm gonna be busy most of the day with that and gettin my pea seed out in the garden! I'll catch you all later!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

Sacredwind
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

Kimberly
Osage City KS
USA
9 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2011 :  08:11:26 AM  Show Profile  Send Sacredwind a Yahoo! Message
Just found the pourch crusing around the forum, Im still leaning what is all here. I did just pay my membership last night and bought the first book. Wish I could have bought them all. I live on 2 acres with my dairy goats, 2 LGDs a potbely pig, 2 tiny house dogs, 6 pet rats, a handfull of mini ponys. We also have a 15 acre pasture were I have a jersy cow and a couple riding horses. I moved here last june and I am excited to get some raised beds in and start some gardening. We do have some mature apple and a pear tree and anouther tree we are waiting to bloom so we can figure out what it is. Its just me and my husband, no kids but I keep buisy with al the critters. Id love to learn sewing, knitting. spinning and all that fun stuff. I am glad to be here and Im anxious to meet everyone and get buisy learning all I can. I would love to be abe to have an income from my little homesteadett. Hopefull I will find my nich and make an income staying home, that would be nice.
Go to Top of Page

beekeepersgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1423 Posts

Luanne
Cresco PA
USA
1423 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2011 :  08:18:26 AM  Show Profile
Hi Kimberly!

Welcome to the porch! We meet here as often as time allows us to, and of course all the virtual goodies we bring to share are calorie free!

Your place sounds awesome - hope you find your niche soon so you can stay at home. There are lots of forums for you to check out, but you will probably find the most on sewing, knitting, spinning, etc. in the Stitching & Crafting room. I do all those things too, and have found a lot of information and help from the ladies there.

Farmgirl Hugs!

Luanne

beekeepersgirl #691

Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.
Go to Top of Page

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2011 :  08:37:23 AM  Show Profile
Well ladies, its spring time in Alaska and the snow is about gone in Wasilla. The days are in the 30's and the nights holding at about 20 or so. We are all happy as clams about our early spring. Sorry ladies that you in the lower 48 all have our weather as we are pretty much used to snow until the middle of April.
Our little non-profit is attempting to get about 5 acres at least. We want to put up a teen shelter in the valley as there are so many homeless teens out there. Heart breaking is what it is. So pray for us as we search out what the lord wants for us.

CMF
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2011 :  09:41:36 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Kimberly to The Porch! This is the FUN place to come...just for chatting and sharing
about everything under the sun. We all love our Virtual Porch and stopping by once or twice a day
(or just when ever you can) and sharing Life with each other. This is a safe place to come. We joke, we laugh, we whine, we cry and every once in a while we just need a good rant and we go for
it. We bring food and drinks to share...(virtual of course/with no calories like Luanne said).
Once you are here to visit and share you become an automatic "Official Porchie". So, come often
and get to know all the other Porchies.

Cherime...that would be awesome if you could get that five acres and start a teen shelter. I will be praying about that for you. I can't believe you are getting your Spring weather already. I am jealous. Ours is coming though...soon!

Angela...good to see you back on the Porch. Sounds like you may have found a great find on the outdoor greenhouse. That is awesome. What a blessing...hope it all works out for you.

Darlene...that was such a great story about your dog ringing the sleigh-bells. That is so smart
and endearing. Especially when he rang them to throw up. I can't say that Royal is doing the potty thing perfectly yet...but much better than I would have expected for a puppy. So, we have made great progress.

Bunny...are you out there somewhere? Did you get one of those jobs???? You've been MIA for awhile
and I miss hearing about what's going on in your life.

Pam...my dearest...what's cha up to? Is the big case over?

Well the dogs both look like they are ready for a nap...so, I am going to take one too.
Back later...

Hugs and a Pleasant Day To You ALL,
~peggy

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com
http://pegsmiles7.wordpress.com

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2011 :  09:59:15 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning everyone. Sorry to be gone for so long. Not much going on here. Still no job interviews. My laptop was ruined when I downloaded a video player that messed up all my files. It's at the computer guru doctor's hopefully getting fixed. My Mac wasn't working either but I found out what was wrong and took it apart and FIXED IT MYSELF! Woo Hoo. I felt pretty good. So I'm back online. I have been making purses and even sold one to a friend. Unfortunately she wanted a bunch of special things. I had to totally redo the pattern and nothing worked. So one purse came out totally worthless. I hate doing custom for people. But I have decided on the final pattern and will make them different from now on. But then because of the extra work and fabric I had to raise the price. My mom's ankle is healing (thankfully) and in two weeks she can drive again. It will be nice not to be her driver anymore. She has more doctor appointments than anyone I know. It has been hard to sew when in the middle of the day I have to stop to drive her. And heaven forbid the appointment should be in the morning. She doesn't get up before 10:30am. She had an appointment at 8:45am on Monday and complained about it for 2 weeks. Arrgggg. I do remember her being this lazy. I had just hoped she had changed. No luck on that front.

Peggy, congrads on the new puppy.. I hope it doesn't turn into too much work for you. Glad you are back on the net with a new computer at least.

Kimberly, your "homestead" sounds wonderful. I have always wanted a life like that. Just never met the right guy to do it with. All talk and no action. I'm sure you will find lots of ways to earn money from your little plot of land. I'm sure there are places to learn all the things you want to do. There might be guilds in town to join or find the local yarn and quilting shop. They might have classes or know someone to teach.

Angela, your indoor garden sounds wonderful! I hope you get your outside green house. Sorry about your husband and work. My son has been trying to get a job in heavy equipment his whole life. Being in a small town the only contractors were owner operators and because of insurance wouldn't teach him. The only thing is that job can be hard on bodies. But the pay is good. I'll be saying a prayer for you.

Dianne, I got your ornament! Thank you! I'm having fun collecting all the goodies and getting ideas for mine. I think my month is October. I figured I should start something soon. I don't want to be working at it the last minute. (like I usually do). LOL

Anyway, everyone hang in there with the screwy weather. It goes back and fourth here too. At my house in California, the snow knocked down a tree on the power line. My son turned everything off... but no power and I'm not going to fix it. They just got another snow storm and didn't have power for 3 days. I'm so glad not to be dealing with that anymore.

Off to get sewing again.. later for now.

Bunny

www.bunnyrose.com

Not all who wander are lost...
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2011 :  10:36:44 AM  Show Profile
Judy, thanks for the funny ecard. I just emailed another possible connection. We will see what happens. I checked out my "competition". There are a lot of interesting looking ladies out there. I just may have to wait until the guys go through them to get down to me.. lol. It seems the guys all want adventure ladies.. sking, motorcycles, backpacking. I'm too old and tired for all that stuff. I think they are more interested in another bro instead of a companion. Either that or someone to cook and clean at the campsite. LOL. A friend always said a vacation for women is just a different sink. We still do all the cooking and cleanup.
Anyway, love the cards.
Bunny

www.bunnyrose.com

Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2011 :  2:13:35 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Bunny...Funny but true what your GF said about it just being a different sink! Kinda sucks when you think of it that way...we're only there to take care of and clean up after them. Don't worry about all those losers, they are still Little Boys if all they want to do is all those crazy things! For sure you don't want to raise another son!LOL! Shame on their mother's for not teaching them to grow up! Be at peace for awhile and concentrate on you for now. Make a bunch of things and set up at fairs and other places and some nice guy will sweep you off your feet when you least expect it!

Peggy...How are your 2 furbabies getting along? Hang a long sting of bells on your door and hit them with your babies foot or nose and soon he will alert you when he wants to go out! How is your sister?

Luanne...Glad everything is calmer for you! Whew!

Welcome to our porch...I forgot your name, I'm sorry! We are a wonderful group here so come often and hang out.

Angela...was wondering where you were. Almost came a lookin! All in my prayers. How's the MIL?

Off to finish supper. I'll bring the leftover's later! Aren't I nice!

Be Blessed,
Darlene
Sister 1922

God first, everything else after!

When Satan's knocking at your door, just say "Jesus will you get that for me?"

Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2011 :  4:45:04 PM  Show Profile
Hi everybody!Glad you're all getting your cards. Darlene, I like that bells on the door idea for pups. Great idea!
RFMTammy....love that bathroom girlie! My bath I re-did last fall is yellow and green, but it looks like the sam yellow as yours.
Hi Jeannie...welcome back to the porch! Cute game!
Thanks for the apple streusel and muffins Peg. YUMMMMM!
Hi and Welcome Kimberly! WOW! You have lots of critters. I have 2 pet rats myself... a hairless and a dumbo. I've had pet rats ever since I worked in the science lab in high school.....and I'm 56 now! Great Little Pocket-Pets!

Well, we had 70 yesterday, then a nasty thunder-storm around 4PM, then it got cold again. And today we have 3o's/sunny. I just LOOOOve March!!!
Have any of you read the book(true story) "Dewey, The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World?" I got the book for my Mom a couple years ago, and she loved it. I got the book-on-tape at the library this week and listened to it today. What an amazing cat story. Made me laugh...made me cry. A great read for my fellow animal-loving Sisters. He looks exactly like the cat we had for 19 years....Punky!

Well, DH is due home from work soon!Take care Gals!
Love Yuns! Judy

PS. It's almost time to pass the torch on to our April "TeaBag" Hostess, Pam! Can't wait to see what little goodie she has for us. I'm ready to try a new tea! How'bout you???

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
"Why couldn't I have been born Rich instead of So Good Looking?"
Go to Top of Page

nabrown42
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Nancy
Caneyville KY
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2011 :  4:55:37 PM  Show Profile
Hello sisters! I've been away for quite a while but it's great to see you are keeping a spot with my name on it. I'm still awaiting my move to KY which has been delayed by illness in our house but things are calm again, or at least enough for me to sneak over now and then for some hot cider and muffins. I'm still gathering rags and have started cutting up my sweetie's old dress shirts as they fray for the rag bag and the eventual rug I'll be making. What has been going on with all of you?

"I've wept in the night for the shortness of sight that to someone's needs I've been blind; but I've yet to feel a twinge of regret for being a little too kind."
Go to Top of Page

debtea2
True Blue Farmgirl

1853 Posts

deborah
nutley nj
USA
1853 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2011 :  5:47:46 PM  Show Profile
evening porchies
we've had so wild weather
rain snow thunder lightning freezing temps..oh my
Pam can i get in on the teabag swap too???
Peggy sounds like lots of fun with a puppy underfoot,,they are so cute and easy to spoil..lol
angela prayers for your DH
bunny love your quilts and alex looks evactly like my tequila..
Nancy welcome a rag rug sounds fun i'd love to learn to make one
so some reason we have very few fabric shops here 2 to be exact and that strange being so close to nyc
you'd think we be loaded... walmart is the only one close enough but the selection is not great...
i order online but i'm the kind of person who like to feel the fabric the texture..you know,,
well ladies have ablessed night
deborah

inch by inch we find our way
jersey farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

nabrown42
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Nancy
Caneyville KY
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2011 :  6:36:12 PM  Show Profile
Deborah, my dh retired in December and had to wear dress shirts daily so now that they're not needed I took the more threadbare ones and cut out all the usuable fabric and cut it into 2 1/2 inch strips and rolled them into balls for crocheting later. I also go to thrift stores and buy wool clothing to make into narrow strips to hook into rugs. Goodwill has provided me with tons of material of every weight to use for crafts. I'd recommend you check out your local sources and happy rug making.

"I've wept in the night for the shortness of sight that to someone's needs I've been blind; but I've yet to feel a twinge of regret for being a little too kind."
Go to Top of Page

kittykill
True Blue Farmgirl

608 Posts

Pam
Portland or
USA
608 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2011 :  10:33:37 AM  Show Profile  Send kittykill an AOL message  Send kittykill a Yahoo! Message
Hi everyone! Sorry I've been MIA lately. Yep, you guessed. Work has been busy. We finished up the one case but have been slammed with multiple others. When I get home from work, I just want to crash. I also picked up a side accounting job a couple hours of week but I am going to stop that cause it's not what I want to do and it's not very much money. I could make the same amount stitching, maybe even more. Plus, I want to spend time in my garden with Mark and the pups. I am going to do a craft show in July. I can't wait! I need to get to stitching.

www.fasterkittykill.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

debtea2
True Blue Farmgirl

1853 Posts

deborah
nutley nj
USA
1853 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2011 :  6:05:18 PM  Show Profile
evening porchies
still cold here and cabin fever is setting in ...
Nancy thanks for the great info i'll check it out
been working on my swaps and got them all ready to go..
well have a great weekend
blessings deborah

inch by inch we find our way
jersey farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2011 :  11:42:08 PM  Show Profile
Good Evening My Porchies...Wow, I finally accomplished a few things today besides
Puppy Patrol. lol By the way hubby changed his pups name from "Royal" to "Snickers"
Which that name actually fits him better because he is black with carmel coloring mixed in...
and a couple of "Real Nuts" own him...so, it PERFECT! :+)

I got half the laundry done today, made a great Fresh Salmon and Acorn squash dinner and
got one of my swaps completed. So, hey...things were moving along quite nicely today.
The rain is back tonight and it is suppose to rain all weekend. Yesterday during a quick
sun-break, I pulled the weeds out of my garden. I am getting so excited to plant...but
know I must force myself to wait. As we just had two really frosty nights this past week.

Well, a cup of tea and my John Grisham Book are calling to me. Have a great weekend girls
and we will chat more later.

"To Love and be Loved is to feel the sun from both sides"
~ david viscott

Hugs and Smiles,
~peggy

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com
http://pegsmiles7.wordpress.com

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

Edited by - LadyInRed on Mar 25 2011 11:45:23 PM
Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2011 :  09:10:47 AM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
Hi there LadyBugs!

Peggy~ Your Snickers sounds adorable. Royal made me think of my step-grandpa everytime I read the name. LOL I never called my step-grandpa Royal or grandpa, we always called him Sugar. That was my grandma's pet name for him and all of us grand kids took to using it too. I still call him Sugar. Hahaha

Angela- How's the outdoor greenhouse? That would make a great addition to your garden! I'm sure your girls would love it too.

Welcome to the porch Kimberly and to MJF! When I first came to MJF, the only crafty thing I did was make wreaths. Now I do a little sewing, crocheting, knitting and other kinds of crafts. The ladies here are fabulous! You are going to have a blast!

Bunny~ Glad you've been able to sell a couple of purses. Too bad one got wrecked. You know just because those other women "look interesting" on the site doesn't mean they really are. I think a lot of people stretch the truth about what they are like and what they looking for on dating sites. I don't know, I think maybe it's easier to lie online than in person for some folks. Kind of like it's a game. It's sad but then again there are the ones who are serious and honest. You're going to find Mr. Right. Hang in there.

Well so much for a spring-time weather. Our temps went from the mid 70's to the 30's and 40's. BLUCK! I know it's only March, but Mother Nature really shouldn't be such a tease. Hallie's new bed was delivered yesterday, a metal loft bed. "Only" took us 3 hours to put it together. LOL No extra pieces so that a good thing right? Poor kid hasn't even got to sleep in it yet. She had to go to her dad's this weekend.

I'm supposed to be finishing the painting in the kitchen. Honey man said he wouldn't come down until later this afternoon so I had time to get my stuff done. And well I've not even started and he'll be here in a couple of hours. Guess I better quit chit chatting and get busy.

Have a great weekend!
Hugs~ Melanie

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, She's up!"

Blog~ http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/ Etsy~http://www.etsy.com/shop/theflourishingfinch

Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2011 :  09:12:21 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning everyone. Seems like the rotten weather won't let up anywhere. It's just rain here but getting to be a bore. I applied for an optician position and was called within hours for an interview. It went well but they said I was the first interview and they wouldn't make a decision for a month. 2 ladies are going out on maternity leave at the end of the year so they have time. I hate to think I have to wait that long... I'm going to email them once a week just to keep in touch. It is a full time position with benefits.
The kitties in the house are not getting along well. My big orange Alex keeps attacking my mom's female and she is going to the bathroom in the fireplace. We finally put a kitty box in my mom's room. I got the window kitty door yesterday and a plastic yard storage box for outside my window. I just have to purchase some cinder blocks to get it level with my window and make a ramp to the ground and my kitties can finally go outside. Hopefully that will help get some of that negative energy out.

Later for now..
Bunny

www.bunnyrose.com

Go to Top of Page

nabrown42
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Nancy
Caneyville KY
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2011 :  09:42:11 AM  Show Profile
I was up at 5:30 and it was 19 out! That's outrageous for this late in March. It's after noon and only 30 so I had better just deal with it. I did see a crocus patch down the street and it looked like someone had dropped a huge bag of jelly beans. The colors were so bright and all mixed up instead of large clusters of single colors in a more formal arrangement. I made me smile.

Stay warm and think happy thoughts and maybe Spring will finally come to the porch. At least we're all warm here.

Go to Top of Page

staci860
True Blue Farmgirl

838 Posts

Staci
Newville PA
USA
838 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2011 :  12:33:20 PM  Show Profile
Afternoon from frozen southern PA. CrAzY weather we've had lately and I'm glad I'm not a bit farther north.
Did you guys get dug out yet, Luanne and Darlene?
Yesterday was my DS's 18th birthday, waahhhhhh. Where did the time go?
We spent it at the season opening track meet - brrrrrr!!!!! It was freezing and windy. Thankfully they let the kids decide if they wanted to keep their sweats on to run etc.. Some of them decided to be "tough" and run in those skimpy nylon track suits. Man, oh man. Hard to look tough when your lips are blue and your shivering like a wet pup.
Dianne, thank you for the ornament, the little chicken is perfect! We're hoping to get some peeps in the next few weeks and it just seems appropriate to get that from you this month. My little porch sister tree is looking grand. I love it!
Peggy, we have a string of bells hanging on our door (as Darlene suggested) and our pooch learned to ring them on her 2nd day. It is sweet. She even stayed with friends when we went on vacation, I forgot to take the bells or even tell them about that (you could tell I needed a vacation!). Fortunately, they had bells already on their door as a decoration and she just automatically rang them. It was great!
Pam, have fun stitching! I hope you're able to get a lot of stuff made. I'm doing a show on April 9th and never feel like I make enough. I bake a bunch of scones since that is one of best sellers and like them to be super fresh so that'll be for the 8th. But I like to sell painted items and jewelry, too. I'm trying my hand at soldering charms and picture frames. I need to create a brochure for that, since I really want to offer custom designs. This week on my days off from the church, I'm hoping to perfect attaching the jump rings and wrapping some with wire.
Hi Kimberly and Nancy!
Bunny, I hope the job situation looks up for you soon. Something is out there for you. Keep plugging!
My DH has a very promising lead on a position. It seems custom made for him and hopefully I can get back here later this week and tell you he's employed again. But either way, we're doing okay.
Cherime, praying for that shelter and your non-profit. That's what the walk is about.
Angela, your garden talk inspires me and wears me out at the same time!! Praying for good things for your family.
Well, I need to get going. My sweet husband has been gone all day butchering and is due any minute with pork that needs wrapped, labeled and tucked in the deep freeze.
love and ....
blessings, staci FG# 973
:o )

Joshua 24:15 - ...choose this day whom you will serve,...as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.

Edited by - staci860 on Mar 26 2011 12:40:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2011 :  1:02:20 PM  Show Profile
Hi there, It was 17 when we got up this morning. It's only 36 at 4PM. Spose to snow about an inch tonight. I know!!! Accckkk!!! Flurries all day tomorrow too. Man O Man.....c'mon Spring! Been doing laundry all day too Peg. Got mine half done also.
I love the puppy name, Snickers. Too cute!
Well, Kitty and I are gonna cuddle and watch a Netflix movie.
Later Gals!

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
"Why couldn't I have been born Rich instead of So Good Looking?"
Go to Top of Page

Sacredwind
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

Kimberly
Osage City KS
USA
9 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2011 :  4:41:28 PM  Show Profile  Send Sacredwind a Yahoo! Message
I have a question about merit badges and hope someone can answer. I read somewhere although I cant find it now that you have to go in order beginner, intermidiet, advanced. But do I have to go in order if Say I want to work on Farm Kitchen do I have to start with the first badge offerd or can I just do the badges I want as long as each badge I go in order from beginer to advanced?

The weather here in KS is crazy nuts, Was soo very ice last week I wanted to go out and plant my flowers and tomato plants, this morning, sleet then giant snow flakes and now a cold bluster wind. I am soo very ready for spring.

I did pull out my knitting needles and my "LEarn to Knit" book I have about a 1 inch section after 3 hours towards my wash cloth...LOL I was going to use this for the knitting merit badge but do I need to let someone know I have started working on my badge? Im not sure how this works?

Thanks all
Go to Top of Page

Lida
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Lida
Rochester NY
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2011 :  01:28:10 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning Sisters,
You ladies are a breath of fresh air. Touching base with MJF keeps me grounded.

Welcome Kimberly. Hello to Nancy too; your scrap cloth rugs sounds great. I make quilts for the grandkids from old denim blue jeans from as many family membes as will give me therir jeans. I have finished 2, one for oldest DGD and one for youngest DD. I need to make 2 more for the youngest DGKs.

Angela- Wow, a green house! What a blessing! We have one at work but we close it down in the winter because it is extremely expensive to heat it throughout our cold northeast winters. The folks we support with dedvelopmental disabilities love to work in there and grow beautiful flowers and vegetables. I buy my flowers for transplanting from them. Praying for your family.

Staci- Happy birthday to your DD. Did she run in the shorts or the sweats? Your jewelry sounds great. Do you have an etsy?

Bunny- I hope you get your kitty door set soon. I think your mom and my mom have a lot in common. I tell my kids "She is who she is, just accept her, forgive her and move on." Of course, I don't have to live with her, but I can empathize with your situation. Here is a shoulder and a hug.

Hi Melanie. When I am done here I am going to Google "metal loft bed." I am sure it is sweet. How old is your DD?

Peggy- I like Snickers as a dog name. I have never house broke a dog. Our dog was a rescue dog and already trained when we got her. She is 10 years old now- part chow chow and German shepherd. Is it still rainy there? Is your fibro better in the warmer months?

Hi Darlene- Happy Sunday to you! Hufs.

Well it is 4;15 a.m. And I have been awake since 2:30a.m. I usually sleep very well, so I don't like being awake like this. At least I can ahould be able to get a nap this afternoon. So, here I am praying, catching up wiht my Porchie sisters, and next I am going to write a letter to DS at boot camp. He may be able to call home today! His graduation is April 8.

Life at work has ben too full. The thrift store I oversee has 2 parttime employees and we have been down an employee since early February. The store is supposed to only take about 2 hours a month for oversight but I have been working in it for about 10-15 hours a week, in addition to my other full time job responsibilities. I had no idea it would be so difficult to find someone to work 20 hours a week at the store. Re-sale work is hard work! It is a juggling act of donors, shoppers, volunteers, and the bottom line. We have amazing volunteers at the store. They are committed to the mission of selling quality items to benefit peopole with disabilities in our local area and in Guatemala. They understand that the tiime they invest in steaming a shirt has a direct impact on a child in desperate need.

Okay, time to go. I brewed a pot of coffee for any other early risers. How about some oatmeal blueberry scones to go with the coffee?

Peace,

Lida

Kids and grandkids all doing well. We are looking forward to spring. It is cold, 23* this morning. The latest I remember snow in the spring is on May 8, 1989 we got 5 inches of snow.

Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2011 :  05:56:29 AM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
Good Morning! Guess what we got last night? A light dusting of SNOW! It's pretty and it won't last long, but I'm still ready for spring. No sleeping in this morning. I got going about 7am. Honey man got here way earlier than expected yesterday so no painting got done. I did at least get the bathroom and kitchen cleaned up.

Lida~ I hope you get someone in to help at the thrift. I've found that it can be hard to find someone to work just a few hours a week. Sometimes with the cleaning I need extra help, but there's not much to be found. Most folks in our area that are looking for work are looking for full-time hours and I just can't give them that. I do wish I could. Good luck in your search. My Hallie is 9. She is the baby of the family. LOL The bed- well think bunk beds but just the top bunk. Her dresser and tv and some other things fit underneath her bed.

Oh I really need to get motivated. I think my peek-a-poo, Ruby, has the right idea. She's laying on the back of the couch in front of the window with sun shining in on her snoring away. She has a cute snore. Rufus, our beagle/weiner mix, on the other hand snores like an old man. LOL Ok OK time to get busy.

See you all afterwhile.
Hugs~ Melanie

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, She's up!"

Blog~ http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/ Etsy~http://www.etsy.com/shop/theflourishingfinch

Go to Top of Page

nabrown42
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Nancy
Caneyville KY
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2011 :  10:11:29 AM  Show Profile
Lida, I'm originally from the Binghamton area. Hello from a sister New Yorker. I was up at 3:00 this morning and couldn't stop thinking of all the things I want to do when we get to KY. There's roses, lilacs, peonies, etc. to plant plus some Japanese walnut trees that bear heart-shaped nuts. The vegetable garden will have to wait until next year since we won't be down there until Fall.
Melanie, we didn't get the snow that you who are south of us did but it sure is cold. We are around 30 now and it's 1:00 p.m. with the sun shining but it's sure not bringing us any heat.
I just made us some pancakes from Mary Jane's baking mix and they were great. I sure wish the mix wasn't so expensive, though. Her products are fantastic! Has anyone else used the mix and the Chill over? I have it but haven't used it yet.
Time to get the breakfast dishes washed and on with the rest of the day.
Bundle up, sisters and stoke the fire high...it's going to be another cold night.

Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2011 :  10:20:55 AM  Show Profile
Afternoon Porchies! I've been down with the flu, but I'm startin to feel better today. The greenhouse was a bust. It's fallin down and most of the glass is broken out. It would cast way too much to move and fix for us to take on right now.

Kimberly... You don't have to go in order as far as the list goes, but I believe you do have to go in order from beginner to advanced. You can collect them ramdomly like I do. I have several beginner badges from several catagories just kinda collectin them through daily life.

Sounds like everyone is gettin the same crazy weather we've been gettin. We had 2 days that it got to 82* then dropped overnight and it was 35* the next day! I think that's what has got me so sick.

We did manage to get out in the garden for a bit. The bad thing is all we managed to do was break my mantis tiller! It's still under warranty, but the nearest repair guy is about 45 minutes away. I guess we'll have to hand till the pea rows tonight when we get back. I have a little hand tiller with four rolling tine things on it. It's for tillin lightly around flowers and vege plants. We deep tilled with the pull behind tiller already, but it doesn't powder the dirt as nicely as the mantis does. Oh well.

We have to go pick up a huge load of insulation for my MIL apartment and to build me a chicken coop! Yeah! The stuff is brand new and free! Yeah! I can't wait! We are gettin us a couple of ducks to keep the frogs under control and since we can insulate the old barn stall now, I get to have chickens! I am so excited!

We are goin to the farm auction tuesday to haul some goats for Hubby's Aunt and Uncle, so we thought what better place to get our birds. They are gonna give us gas money, so all we need is a few bucks to get the birds. They sold baby ducks there for 50 cents a piece last week! We also learned that in late april and early may the chicks go for about the same price.

I know it's a painfully slow pace towards self reliance, but it's still a forward motion. I will someday have cows and sheep as well, maybe even a few goats.

I'm off to get ready to go. See ya all later!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 669 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page